Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: After having owned Manuals and going to a DCT :
I Enjoy the Performance of the DCT, no Regrets whatsoever 112 56.85%
I mostly enjoy the DCT for Traffic Benefit & therefore could no go back to a Manual 18 9.14%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I will likely stay with a DCT 11 5.58%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I may go back to a Manual 31 15.74%
I absoultely regret my decision to Opt for a DCT, going back to a Manual 25 12.69%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

08-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #67
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Went from Manual TO DCT...now back to Manual. No regrets.
      08-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #68
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Went from Manual TO DCT...now back to Manual. No regrets.
It speaks volumes when going from MT to DCT, then actively seeking to go back to MT* ...one other reason I decided to go MT as well is for easier custom tuning when highly modified and frankly a transmission that's proven bulletproof and not to slip even in its stock form at up to 700+rwhp!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #69
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

My vehicle is a manual but also a weekend driver only. I love my manual and for a weekend only driver, would never get a DCT.

Did M performance driving school on the Nurburgring ring with the DCT. It shifts amazingly well but i often felt like i had no idea what gear i was in. Manuals give you the tactile sense of what gear you are in through your right hand.

If i was daily driving the car, i would consider the DCT. The manuals get old quickly when sitting in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #70
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I don't regret my decision to get the DCT in the least, but there is one small adjustment that I'm having problem with. I'm getting used to it, but occasionally make the mistake.

For the last 5 years with both my Z4 M Roadster and my wife's 335is Coupe (6MT) when I back out of the garage or a parking space, the learned motion is to pull the shift lever back into neutral, then push it up and to the left to engage 1st gear. However, on the M4, doing this puts the car back into Reverse. You need to pull the lever back into neutral, but then push it right to put it into S1 or D1. I've found myself starting to move backwards several times before I realized what I had done.

I pretty much got used to this in the two weeks and nearly 3,000 miles I drove in Europe during my Euro Delivery, but driving my MZ4 for the almost 8 weeks it took before my M4 was redelivered meant that I had to relearn the motion again after redelivery. Then my car was at a vendor for 5 days getting paint protection and tint, and I drove the MZ4 again. For the last week I've had to drive my wife's car occasionally, and being much more similar to the M4 in feel, I have to stop and think which car I'm in and how to get into gear. Since I'm retired and don't daily drive any of the cars, I haven't "gotten in the habit" of driving the M4 at home yet. I'm sure that will change when I start driving the M4 exclusively on a regular basis again.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #71
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
My vehicle is a manual but also a weekend driver only. I love my manual and for a weekend only driver, would never get a DCT.

Did M performance driving school on the Nurburgring ring with the DCT. It shifts amazingly well but i often felt like i had no idea what gear i was in. Manuals give you the tactile sense of what gear you are in through your right hand.

If i was daily driving the car, i would consider the DCT. The manuals get old quickly when sitting in traffic.
With a DCT the gear that you're in is always shown in the dash display, but if your have HUD and have it in M mode, the gear is shown in the HUD which is hard to miss! It's just a matter of learning to look at the dash instead of feeling for the gearshift.

With a manual I often glance at the tach because it doesn't matter which gear I'm in, it only matters what the RPM is and whether I have to upshift or downshift which I can also determine just by the sound of the engine. My wife always feels for the shift knob.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #72
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
I figured I would come back and share my thoughts, now that I have spent over 2 months with a f80 comp pack DCT after having the manual f82.
I can honestly say that I don't miss the manual much if at all. The performance of the DCT is truly something special. After owning both Its evident that the car is engineered to be mated with the DCT. No Loss of power during WOT shifts is stunning. Not to mention mid corner shifting ability without upsetting the car. I could not forget to mention smokey burnouts are on demand when pushing the pedal through the kickdown
I am not sure how much torque management played a role in watering down the manual but something was going on there.
I am not regretting my decision one bit.
Appreciate 2
9SECDD551.00
JDE92M3874.00
      12-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #73
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
This is the first car I've ever ordered in automatic which is available with a stick. The manual in these cars is about average as it gets for a mid-level performance car. Sure, mechanically it doesn't like to be shifted fast, the ECU momentarily kills engine output after each shift, and auto rev-match can't be disabled in Sport+...but it has a clutch pedal!

Don't kid yourself. The decision would be quite difficult if the manual was actually good.
I agree with this. I found the manual in my friends jetta to be more fun to drive than the 6mt in the f82. I wish it was a better transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #74
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
I agree with this. I found the manual in my friends jetta to be more fun to drive than the 6mt in the f82. I wish it was a better transmission.
Ha, couldn't have a more opposite reaction. I put 120k miles on what is generally considered the best shifter in the world (Honda's 6mt in the 4-cyl high revving platforms). I consider the f8x overall shifter-clutch-rev-matching to be the best I've owned. It's fun to drive fast, it's easy to drive slow, it's easy to drive smooth with a bit of attention. It's not heavy but it's not light. It's not smooth but it's not too notchy. It's throws are appropriate length. It's hard to miss a shift (in 25k miles I've once put it into a lower gear than I meant too, but corrected it before letting the clutch out).
      12-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #75
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Ha, couldn't have a more opposite reaction. I put 120k miles on what is generally considered the best shifter in the world (Honda's 6mt in the 4-cyl high revving platforms). I consider the f8x overall shifter-clutch-rev-matching to be the best I've owned. It's fun to drive fast, it's easy to drive slow, it's easy to drive smooth with a bit of attention. It's not heavy but it's not light. It's not smooth but it's not too notchy. It's throws are appropriate length. It's hard to miss a shift (in 25k miles I've once put it into a lower gear than I meant too, but corrected it before letting the clutch out).
Completely agree with this. It's one of the BEST manual's in terms of feel and effectiveness I've driven. Couldn't ask for much better, was a no brainer for me. Not needing a clutch upgrade or special tuning for the 6MT to hold 700WHP is just the gravy on top
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #76
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Maybe i should have specified. I love the rev-matching, i have no issues with it even in slow/rush hour traffic, it feels smooth for passengers. My problem is the notchiness, the shift is not fluid. Sometimes when trying to shift fast - i feel like there is always some resistance in the shift gate (particularly the 1-2 shift). I have to perfectly align the shift into the next gear. This issues is slightly migitaged after some hard driving and the car is fully warmed up. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #77
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

I think the stupid torque management system is the biggest downfall of the 6MT.

As far as feel goes, maybe it's not the greatest. I've driven an AP2 S2K and that was (probably) the best manual transmission, period.

DCT is unmistakably fast. If you ever have the chance to drive both transmissions, back to back, you can FEEL the difference in how hard it pulls versus the 6MT.

That said, my fear is being unable to get another 6MT. That was actually a big reason I went for it, on top of $2900 in savings. Guess I'm cheap, but then again, I only have Lighting, Adaptive M, and Black 437M wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #78
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
I think the stupid torque management system is the biggest downfall of the 6MT.

As far as feel goes, maybe it's not the greatest. I've driven an AP2 S2K and that was (probably) the best manual transmission, period.

DCT is unmistakably fast. If you ever have the chance to drive both transmissions, back to back, you can FEEL the difference in how hard it pulls versus the 6MT.

That said, my fear is being unable to get another 6MT. That was actually a big reason I went for it, on top of $2900 in savings. Guess I'm cheap, but then again, I only have Lighting, Adaptive M, and Black 437M wheels.
With PTF's BM3 tuner torque management is easily addressed and then she pulls like a freight train in every gear ...also, with future single turbo setups and mega HP upgrades you're going to WANT the manual for reliability. I think the DCT's will prove unreliably with serious 800+WHP cars... whereas there's little to fail on the ol' 6spds... "K.I.S.S." ...but yes, for factory power levels and most bolt on upgrades the DCT's should be fine and are great.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #79
ktc
Private
Rep
Drives: blue beast

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hi guys,

Really glad I found this thread. About to pull the trigger on my first M-car, and have test driven both the manual (and found it to be really good!) and the DCT. Just wondering -- any of you have any reliability / daily use issues with the DCT? I came across some posts about how it can stall, lock up, etc and anything like that on a 80k car's transmission would really bother the heck out of me.

Have you guys had reliability / daily use issues with DCT? I'd expect it to at least be as transparent in doing its job as MT.

Thanks!
ktc

ps. Post #1!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #80
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

My last car with a MT was an E92 M3, that manual was pretty bad, changing gears felt rubbery, the clutch pedal was vague, geared wrong. This is my second M car now with a DCT.

BMW makes better DCT's than manuals for sure, if M cars MT's were as good as Honda S2k's then sure i'd be filled with regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #81
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

I currently have a M3 DCT. While it's a fast car, its quite...boring. First world problems, I know. So....I have a stripper M4 on order. I don't think I will ever buy another dual clutch car, unless it's some exotic that doesn't give you any other option than a dual clutch type gearbox. And my cheap ass will never buy a car over $100k, so I guess I'm stuck with the M4 for awhile.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #82
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I figured I would come back and share my thoughts, now that I have spent over 2 months with a f80 comp pack DCT after having the manual f82.
I can honestly say that I don't miss the manual much if at all. The performance of the DCT is truly something special. After owning both Its evident that the car is engineered to be mated with the DCT. No Loss of power during WOT shifts is stunning. Not to mention mid corner shifting ability without upsetting the car. I could not forget to mention smokey burnouts are on demand when pushing the pedal through the kickdown
I am not sure how much torque management played a role in watering down the manual but something was going on there.
I am not regretting my decision one bit.

I just wanted to echo the exact same thoughts. I owned a F80 Manual and now a F80 ZCP DCT. I 100% believe this car was engineered around the DCT. It just suits it better, IMO.... or maybe just high TQ / Turbo cars in general are better suited to Dual Clutches. Either way, i like it better.

I think if the manual was as good as my s2k's or 991 maybe it would be alittle closer... but even still.. WOT shifting with no loss... mid corner etc. all goes to the DCT.
      01-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #83
farmaceutica75
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1///M (2012) & F80M3 (11/2015)

i just let go of my september 2015 production, model year 2016 LCI F80 DCT last month
i am considering the new 2017 LCI2 F80 MT ZCP

why?

i got the DCT because i still keep my 1Mcoupe around in my garage...
but i (now realize that i) never use it cause i have two children (in the back) and well you know 4doors are easier...
and i was in love with the DCT after the test drive!
what is there not to like?
its fast(-er than i could ever be in a manual), its mean (it sounds like i means business when upshifting), it has launch control (who doesn't want that?)... and the mid corner shifting... and the three different settings... etc
it took me around a year to realize that it didnt always do what i wanted... and it was getting on my nerves
reversing out off a parking space onto a road... is slow... the time it needs to get from R to D...?!
and when driving in Manual Mode 2nd gear slowing down to a near stop, i would like to make my getaway in second... often the dct decided (even in Manual) that the rpm was to low and went to first... so when pushing the right foot down deep... the car screamed like a mad man making way more rpm than intended thinking i was in second...
at traffic lights there is also a problem, i mean when i don't want a "smokey burn out" but i do want to get off the line as fast as possible... i make a fool of myself cause (even in mdm) the car cuts all the power (even before loosing traction) and just stutters until you pull it into second... man do i miss my clutch pedal at those moments
oh and another moment is when leaving a small road, we come to a full stop and to join the bigger main road we have to make a 90° turn... when the road is clear and you have some room... don't you just love to rev the engine a little before controlling the power and the slide with your left foot...?
with the dct its like more power or less power... just those two options...
with a manual you can call for the full power and still decide what actually makes it to the wheels... (like when doing figure 8 with a motorcycle at very slow speed... power vs clutch vs brake pedal)
and at the end of the day... nobody gives me a trophy or flowers for the fastest lap or fast shifting... you just feel and enjoy the thrill of driving a machine fast with lots of power at hand and being in control (pretty much) all the time... that is rewarding!

i do believe some of these issues have been partially solved with the revised M differential in the ZCP... the car has more traction in any condition than the non ZCP i think so that might solve the getting off the line (traction/grip)problem

(should i mention the fact that my LCI-M3 did not come on michelins... but i'm sure some others didn't get the michelin tires they were hoping for)

any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #84
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

Thinking about going to DCT from a manual

I have been fortunate enough to drive the last 3 generations of M3s, including my F80, all manuals. I am thinking of trading in my manual 2016 M3 later this year for a M3 DCT. From what I read, many are high on the DCT. Sometimes driving a manual can be a pain, especially in heavy traffic but I am so used to 3 pedals. Mine is a DD. Anyone go from a manual to DCT and have regrets?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #85
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I made the switch and don't regret it one bit.

Previous two cars were a 5MT 328Ci and then a 6MT 335is.

Especially living in the city, there were many times I wished I had an auto for convenience sake. What kept me from them was the general lack of responsiveness on autos, the slower 0-60s of them and even SMGs, and of course the "it's not really a sports car if it's not a manual" pre-disposition.

Now with the DCT being a faster transmission than a 6MT, I actually feel it's sufficiently sporty to feel fun. The difference in pick up and go between manual and auto shifting modes also is stark enough to really feel sporty. It's still a bit herky-jerky around town sometimes, but being able to not worry about shifting when I don't want to has been worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #86
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

What does later this year mean? As of now, there are no M3s being produced after June.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #87
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Whatever you decide just be prepared for a torque converter AT only on the next gen.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #88
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
No regrets I've been driving manuals since I was sixteen. I thought I'd miss shifting and using the clutch but I'll be honest I haven't looked back at all.

I actually rarely use manual mode maybe 6 times and it was for the pure grinning and giggle factor and don't judge me lol I love the way it bangs the gears in S3 with the flipping of the paddle and the T light comes on passing each gear. Normally I'm in D3 a few times a day up from D1 doing it for the same factor and rev match down shifts it's great I do feel the gear shifts bang harder in S3.
Appreciate 0