EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Exclamation Anyone building a SINGLE TURBO S55 yet??

As we all know there's limitations to how much stock-framed upgraded turbos can flow no matter who builds them. The exhaust turbines just aren't big enough to support the CFM's needed to maintain peak torque values anywhere near redline. Which is both bad for HP numbers and the motor as your making too much torque down low and not enough up top where you needed for racing.

When will someone simply junk the stock manifolds for a 6 into 1 type design to allow for a single. With PTF's BM3 and PI we now have the support to make serious HP out of these motors with single turbo design hardware*
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

TPG is/was but last i heard had trouble tuning it
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
TPG is/was but last i heard had trouble tuning it
Mods like PTF's new BM3 for the S55 with PI wasn't all sorted out then. If someone makes the hardware now it'll be easy to tune AND a lot easier on the motor/rods as you can shift the torque/power curve to the right and make more top end HP than we've ever seen so far while keeping torque under control down at the lower rpms (which is unusable anyway and unnecessarily hard on the bottom end)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Furthermore MoVit already did the legwork with their "MoVit 900HP" single turbo kit for the N54's... I'm sure the architecture be would nearly identical to make it for the F8X cars as well

Why do bmw owners ALWAYS wait years to do the most obvious sh*t!? When the new platform is out and these are no longer relevant THATS when they'll decide to offer them. lol :/
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
soobieajax325
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, WRX, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Furthermore MoVit already did the legwork with their "MoVit 900HP" single turbo kit for the N54's... I'm sure the architecture be would nearly identical to make it for the F8X cars as well

Why do bmw owners ALWAYS wait years to do the most obvious sh*t!? When the new platform is out and these are no longer relevant THATS when they'll decide to offer them. lol :/
Why don't you do it? I meant that in a polite manner. Not in an asshole kind of way haha
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Mods like PTF's new BM3 for the S55 with PI wasn't all sorted out then. If someone makes the hardware now it'll be easy to tune AND a lot easier on the motor/rods as you can shift the torque/power curve to the right and make more top end HP than we've ever seen so far while keeping torque under control down at the lower rpms (which is unusable anyway and unnecessarily hard on the bottom end)
I think the hardware would actually be the easy part of it. Nothing more than fabrication.
      11-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobieajax325 View Post
Why don't you do it? I meant that in a polite manner. Not in an asshole kind of way haha
No pun taken lol.. I'm considering doing it. However the MoVit kit is an easy start

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
I think the hardware would actually be the easy part of it. Nothing more than fabrication.
I completely agree, which is why I'm surprised there aren't several of them at least being started yet..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No pun taken lol.. I'm considering doing it. However the MoVit kit is an easy start

I completely agree, which is why I'm surprised there aren't several of them at least being started yet..
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the n55 and s55 virtually identical? With that said, aren't the the manifolds for the n55 and n54 virtually identical? Hence I'm with you, someone should be working on this already...
      11-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

The issue is tuning. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome in the F8x's Bosch DME before you'll be able to go single turbo.

The S55 has two Electronic Wastegates and two MAF sensors. You'd have to figure out a way to force the DME to run in Speed/Density mode full-time so you could eliminate the MAF sensors and once you've figured this out, you still have TWO EWGs to deal with.

The other option (and probably the better one, tuning-wise), would be a standalone DME/ECU, but this is a long-shot for most street cars as you'd have to compromise on most non-essential items to make it work. This is OK for a race car, but a serious deal-breaker for most of us.

There are several other hurdles as well, but I digress.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the n55 and s55 virtually identical? With that said, aren't the the manifolds for the n55 and n54 virtually identical? Hence I'm with you, someone should be working on this already...
No, they are very different engines. But again, the problem isn't really a hardware one. Anybody can fab a 6 into 1 manifold and slap a properly sized turbo on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy
Quote:
No, they are very different engines. But again, the problem isn't really a hardware one. Anybody can fab a 6 into 1 manifold and slap a properly sized turbo on it.
While the engines are different, their blocks are pretty much the same.
Attached Images

11-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The S55 has two Electronic Wastegates and two MAF sensors. You'd have to figure out a way to force the DME to run in Speed/Density mode full-time so you could eliminate the MAF sensors and once you've figured this out, you still have TWO EWGs to deal with.
Aren't these the same 'hurdles' they knocked out on the N55 motors when MoVit made their single kit for them?

The N55 is a VERY similar motor to the S55.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I don't think any tune is ready for this sort of complexity today. Welding up stuff is always the easy part. I think it'll take another year or two at least before we see big turbo conversions start happening but stuff happens for the S55 a lot sooner than others it seems. I guinea pigged a supercharger conversion with another car diving in early and it was an uphill battle the entire way because of tuning headaches with stuff that was still too new at the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #14
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

If there's anyone that can do it (that's already tuned single turbo N54 and N55's with the BM3) it's Dennzo of PTF
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While the engines are different, their blocks are pretty much the same.
The N55 and S55 are not "almost identical". They are very different.

For starters, the N55 is an open-deck block, The S55 is a closed-deck block. The rest of the block is almost entirely re-designed/re-tooled over the N55. I don't really think it's even fair for BMW to use the S55 nomenclature for the S55, as its shares very little from it N55 sibling.

They're both 3.0L L6 engines with the same bore and stroke, that's about where the similarities end.
Appreciate 1
iuhutch111.00
      11-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aren't these the same 'hurdles' they knocked out on the N55 motors when MoVit made their single kit for them?

The N55 is a VERY similar motor to the S55.
I'm not sure how they're tuning this setup. I'll have to look into it, as I'm not familiar with it.

Beyond that, the N55 is a single turbo setup from the factory, so it only has one EWG and one MAF sensor. This cuts down on the complexity from a tuning standpoint. The newer N55's share a similar DME to the S55, so some code could probably be ported over into the S55's DME, but I'm not sure how that would work as the S55 has other tuning considerations as compared to the N55. I'm guessing a based tuner could probably figure it out, with enough effort.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      11-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
the N55 is a single turbo setup from the factory, so it only has one EWG and one MAF sensor. This cuts down on the complexity from a tuning standpoint. The newer N55's share a similar DME to the S55, so some code could probably be ported over into the S55's DME, but I'm not sure how that would work as the S55 has other tuning considerations as compared to the N55. I'm guessing a based tuner could probably figure it out, with enough effort.
Yeah it's certainly not going to be a few strokes of the keyboard that's for sure lol.. But a capable tuner like Dennzo with experience with the platform (N55's DME) can do it. It's just a matter of someone rigging up the hardware (with the rest of the supporting mods) first...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #18
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The hardware is easy with any car. Manifolds/exhausts aren't nearly as difficult as the tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
The issue is tuning. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome in the F8x's Bosch DME before you'll be able to go single turbo.

The other option (and probably the better one, tuning-wise), would be a standalone DME/ECU, but this is a long-shot for most street cars as you'd have to compromise on most non-essential items to make it work. This is OK for a race car, but a serious deal-breaker for most of us.

Motec M1 can do it, and you def won't sacrifice too much as it has full CANBUS integration. Now for Flexray I'm not sure, not sure if the S55 DME has flexray. The problem is getting someone to write the custom firmware.

There's a guy up in Oregon that can do it, he's done plenty of street & race cars with full custom M1 firmware.. question is... who's going to be the one to offer their F80 up with a turbo kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #20
Hammy_m3f80
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns
Quote:

Motec M1 can do it, and you def won't sacrifice too much as it has full CANBUS integration. Now for Flexray I'm not sure, not sure if the S55 DME has flexray. The problem is getting someone to write the custom firmware.

There's a guy up in Oregon that can do it, he's done plenty of street & race cars with full custom M1 firmware.. question is... who's going to be the one to offer their F80 up with a turbo kit.
Me! I just saw this post after posting I want to be the first single turbo s55. But I'm in california
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #21
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The N55 and S55 are not "almost identical". They are very different.

For starters, the N55 is an open-deck block, The S55 is a closed-deck block. The rest of the block is almost entirely re-designed/re-tooled over the N55. I don't really think it's even fair for BMW to use the S55 nomenclature for the S55, as its shares very little from it N55 sibling.

They're both 3.0L L6 engines with the same bore and stroke, that's about where the similarities end.
Actually, according to BMW, they are 75% identical.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #22
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Actually, according to BMW, they are 75% identical.
Ehh. BMW marketing, maybe.

Look, the S55 and N55 are very different engines, particularly when it comes to tuning, which is what is stopping the S55 from going single turbo.
Appreciate 0