EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Best bang for the buck?

Hey guys, I've been surfing the web trying to figure out the best "bang for the buck" upgrades for the M4. Ambitious budget, around 10-12k.

Little interest in piggybacks unless there is really something special proven through the dyno's or user reliability feedback.

Currently eyeing the Manhart Stage 1 & 2 (Flash). Both involve removing the speed lock. The Stage two involves downpipes. Have heard great things about them. Not convinced that its price is not beatable however.

I'm also considering pairing the flash with the Akrapovic Exhaust system but in all honesty... It sounds like a bloody riced 50cc moped. Some videos are great, some are an ear sore. I've listened to many other exhausts and I'm yet to find something that really changes the m4's awkward exhaust note.

I'm open to any suggestions for both the Flash tune and the exhaust and other mods that have received great feedback on efficiency and reliability.

Unfortunately, I'm based in Europe so American tuners are out of the equation.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davgia View Post
Hey guys, I've been surfing the web trying to figure out the best "bang for the buck" upgrades for the M4. Ambitious budget, around 10-12k.

Little interest in piggybacks unless there is really something special proven through the dyno's or user reliability feedback.

Currently eyeing the Manhart Stage 1 & 2 (Flash). Both involve removing the speed lock. The Stage two involves downpipes. Have heard great things about them. Not convinced that its price is not beatable however.

I'm also considering pairing the flash with the Akrapovic Exhaust system but in all honesty... It sounds like a bloody riced 50cc moped. Some videos are great, some are traitorous. I've looked at many other exhausts and I'm yet to find something that really changes the m4's awkward exhaust note.

I'm open to any suggestions for both the Flash tune and the exhaust and other mods that have received great feedback on efficiency and reliability.

I had good luck with Evolve on my E9x's. I'm pretty sure they are tuning for the S55.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

I'm also considering pairing the flash with the Akrapovic Exhaust system but in all honesty... It sounds like a bloody riced 50cc moped. Some videos are great, some are an ear sore. I've listened to many other exhausts and I'm yet to find something that really changes the m4's awkward exhaust note.

It really is unfortunate that the S55 is just not a great sounding engine in general.

I would be willing to bet that most of the videos you've found online that were an
"ear sore" had cat-less downpipes. The extra aggressiveness and tone just doesn't
show up well on video, and for some it can be overwhelming.

That being said, we've had quite a lot of compliments when our HEX Tuning software
is paired up with the ///M Performance Exhaust system. The GTS "Start-Up Roar",
"Throttle Overrun" (exhaust burble), Turbo Spool and Wastegate Sound Control, added
by our software all add some much needed personality to the M4.

We have an Authorized Dealer in the UK by the name of Regal Autosport that can
surely help get you taken care of. If you're interested, feel free to send us a PM and
we can set up a proper referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

I would use the money for coilovers + cat-back exhaust. What is your cars primary use?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Getting the products from the US will cost you less than getting them direct from Europe

Best bang for the buck
JB4
VRSF downpipe
VRSF / BMS Charge Pipe
BMS Intake
Burger Tuning / AC fabrication exhaust

If piggy is out of the question, get BM3

The whole list + shipping + customs will cost less than 5k

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep

Out of all upgrades the single most important one is the exhaust and I'm yet to find a decent one...

Does anyone have an idea of an exhaust that gives the car a deep throaty growl both on low and high rpm's?

Doesn't have to be necessarily loud or make a strong presence, just a good sound that doesn't get mixed up with the one of a ricer
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea of an exhaust that gives the car a deep throaty growl both on low and high rpm's?
Thats exactly what the REMUS exhaust sounds like

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of all upgrades the single most important one is the exhaust and I'm yet to find a decent one...

Doesn't have to be necessarily loud or make a strong presence, just a good sound that doesn't get mixed up with the one of a ricer
Trade in another car. Not to sound like a negative nancy but I've tried 5 of the top exhausts sold for this car and none of them sound good and most don't fit well. Just different flavors of hell.
Appreciate 1
Dippydo230.00
      01-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thats exactly what the REMUS exhaust sounds like
Not that impressed on closed valves
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Trade in another car. Not to sound like a negative nancy but I've tried 5 of the top exhausts sold for this car and none of them sound good and most don't fit well. Just different flavors of hell.
C'mon, there's like 50 different exhaust systems on the market

At least one of them has to be decent
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Here's an example of the Remus Exhaust with our HEX Tuning Stage ONE Software:
(Note: The louder revs towards the end are blowing our the microphone.)

Here's an example of the ///M Performance Exhaust with our HEX Tuning Stage TWO Software:
(Note: First two revs are in "Efficient" with valves closed, the rest are "Sport" with valves open.)

Videos only do so much justice, take them with a grain of salt...
These cars also sound quite a bit different when the engine is under load, but you
get a general idea of the tone and "burble" when matched with our software.

For comparisons sake, here's one last video of the BMW M4 GTS:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not that impressed on closed valves
Did you hear it in person? It is a pretty aggressive exhaust

If you want more sound just get the resonated midpipe + catless downpipe or get catless + Active Autowerke midpipe and REMUS rear section

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Dav3
Major
Rep

@mike

Not looking for loud exhaust sound, looking more for something that sounds decent and well behaved on closed valves and aggressive on open

VF-Engineering I'm guessing that's open valves. That car running catless? Actually is that a muffler delete I'm seeing?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
C'mon, there's like 50 different exhaust systems on the market

At least one of them has to be decent
Decent? Maybe. Good? Doubtful

Is your incoming car ZCP? If so you'll already have all the burble goodness by default.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Decent? Maybe. Good? Doubtful

Is your incoming car ZCP? If so you'll already have all the burble goodness by default.
MY2016 build, ZCP not available at the time

Maybe I should just do a raw Honda Civic Exhaust system install: Rice(-)+Rice(-)=Not Rice(+)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
SizerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

I'm in exactly the same boat, based in the U.K. and want to get the best for my M4 CP. Got a little more available to spend. It with so much out there it all gets a little confusing, I'm 95% sure on a few things. The Akrapovic evo exhaust and downpipes, which from the videos I love the sound off, the Eventuri cold air intake system and the ER charge pipes but after that my head is spinning with different options. I won't rule anything suggestions out but I do need some help ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #17
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

I was under the impression that AA full exhaust sounds prety damn good?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #18
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
I was under the impression that AA full exhaust sounds prety damn good?
For an s55 its one of the better sounding setups. Its one of the ones I ran. But overall its not a good sounding engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #19
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizerM4 View Post
I'm in exactly the same boat, based in the U.K. and want to get the best for my M4 CP. Got a little more available to spend. It with so much out there it all gets a little confusing, I'm 95% sure on a few things. The Akrapovic evo exhaust and downpipes, which from the videos I love the sound off, the Eventuri cold air intake system and the ER charge pipes but after that my head is spinning with different options. I won't rule anything suggestions out but I do need some help ?
I bet you found both the Akra and the Eventuri on the Mulgari site

Akrapovic is one of the better exhausts but its price tag doesn't warrant the marginal improvement in sound. The eventuri on the m2 is an orgasm to the ear but I'm not quite sure if it really provides realistic and worthwhile functionality for the car

Honestly, 10k for both of them is not really a good deal considered that competitors provide almost identical products for less than half of the price...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
SizerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizerM4 View Post
I bet you found both the Akra and the Eventuri on the Mulgari site

Akrapovic is one of the better exhausts but its price tag doesn't warrant the marginal improvement in sound. The eventuri on the m2 is an orgasm to the ear but I'm not quite sure if it really provides realistic and worthwhile functionality for the car

Honestly, 10k for both of them is not really a good deal considered that competitors provide almost identical products for less than half of the price...
Unfortunately you've lost that bet lol...
Found the Akra on the Litchfield website and the Eventuri on the Evolve website lol...

I'm open to suggestions on what could be better or better value, i know your paying more for Akra but it also looks amazing.

My biggest concern is finding something better after I've spent loads of money, so would rather take the time now and get as much advice as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

I have a Full AA exhaust just did filter delete and no DP's yet sounds really clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #22
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Did you hear it in person? It is a pretty aggressive exhaust

If you want more sound just get the resonated midpipe + catless downpipe or get catless + Active Autowerke midpipe and REMUS rear section
Gotta admit that REMUS is in the top 3 of exhausts I've listened to if not #1

Feel like youtube video's are not a reliable way of getting feedback from the sound
Appreciate 0