EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
OreoGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 CP Satin Black

GTS Water Injection

Hi Gents,

VF hinted in previous posts that one day (soon?), control of the OEM GTS water injection kit or possibly a third-party may be possible from the ECU. Would VF or any other tuners like to chime in here?

I've currently got a Stage II BM3 OTS map that I freakin' love! But PTF have not investigated the GTS water injection yet, and not sure if they will; perhaps owing to interest.

Show of hands if anyone else is interested for them to act and conclude if its possible ha?! PTF you're obviously not scared to differentiate yourselves, so what's one more party trick ha!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I'm not interested but I bet that this is more likely to become a retrofit now that flash tuning is possible. More tuners and more people tuning means there are more people out there wanting the extra power and more companies competing to get their business.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
I'm not interested but I bet that this is more likely to become a retrofit now that flash tuning is possible. More tuners and more people tuning means there are more people out there wanting the extra power and more companies competing to get their business.
All GTS have water injection, so for it to be a retrofit kit, it would have to be aimed at the standard M4. The water injection is controlled by the ECU in the GTS, so the required functionality would have to be available in the standard software and be activated (or entirely new software provided).

I'm really curious if the functionality to control the water injection is present in the standard software. It would be great news if it is. Anybody know the answer to this?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

How does the GTS trigger the pump? Can a tuner mimic that for meth in a flash? Save having a JB4 and a flash?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
How does the GTS trigger the pump? Can a tuner mimic that for meth in a flash? Save having a JB4 and a flash?
From the pictures that I've seen, there seems to be an intermediary control unit in the boot well that interfaces with the ECU. I'm speculating the the ECU provides a signal to the water injection control unit the car has started and that it should start if healthy. I believe the control unit also does other clever things like pump water back to the tank when the car is switched off, and perhaps even the ECU adjusts certain parameters if the control unit sends a signal to say for example the tank is empty when the car is running.

The final point leads me to another question, if a third party control unit provided a signal to say their water injection kit had failed (tank empty, pump fault etc.), are any tuners able to adjust parameters in the ECU like boost & timing without requiring a JB4 or similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

N55 screenshot shows flex fuel using the DME. The code is working on a 335i and the new tables can be tuned whilst the engine is running by a laptop whilst an Android device simultaneously displays gauges and datalogs. It is being converted to S55.

You would be able to use this with a controller that outputs a voltage to show its state. Perhaps a flow sensor could be neat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

The same water injection is rumored to possibly be used in upcoming BMW engines including non-M cars.
What are your thoughts on using the Fuel-It port injection kit and using it for water injection. Same concept and you can control the water with various controllers.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWcurious View Post
N55 screenshot shows flex fuel using the DME. The code is working on a 335i and the new tables can be tuned whilst the engine is running by a laptop whilst an Android device simultaneously displays gauges and datalogs. It is being converted to S55.

You would be able to use this with a controller that outputs a voltage to show its state. Perhaps a flow sensor could be neat.
Wow, thanks for the info! My mind is brimming with ideas now

This would enable me to install a predominantly GTS kit, with perhaps just a third party controller and pump, that could interface with the stock ECU to adjust depending on whether the kit was available or not.

If you've got the details of someone I can speak to, PM me please
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
The same water injection is rumored to possibly be used in upcoming BMW engines including non-M cars.
What are your thoughts on using the Fuel-It port injection kit and using it for water injection. Same concept and you can control the water with various controllers.
I actually want to use the GTS kit for water-methanol mix. I've considered many kits, plenty of great ones. But in some instances I prefer to use OEM parts, plus its nice to do something different and introduce new experiences to the community.

Are you using Fuel-It yourself? If so, how are you finding your setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The benefit of a 5V flow sensor would be that you could program the DME to adjust all the relevant parameters so that it would implement a flow window that handles failure modes including leaks either side of the pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I believe AWRON has a GTS style water injection kit available.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
The benefit of a 5V flow sensor would be that you could program the DME to adjust all the relevant parameters so that it would implement a flow window that handles failure modes including leaks either side of the pump.
I completely understand that. The solution would be incomplete if it didn't account for the system being unavailable, only I didn't know that the stock ECU had the potential to integrate with additional signals, and be programmed to adjust like that. Sounds like there's some great possibilities out there!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I believe AWRON has a GTS style water injection kit available.
Thanks! I've seen posts regarding this, but a search on their website returns nothing. Anyone got some more info on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #14
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The S55 has quite a broad range at which it is at full boost, so I wonder how well a simple boost triggered water injection system would work that has the same flow at 2500 RPM that it has at 7500 RPM even though the knock (and superknock) tendency is greater lower down. More sophisticated options on port injection engines used the port injection pulse width to control water delivery rate. I don't know if any systems decode direct injection pulse widths in the same way given that they are often over 60V and the waveform is not a simple square wave but more related to peak-hold. I've just been focused on flex fuel, even though we have no E85 in the UK, but this could be a neat solution
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
The S55 has quite a broad range at which it is at full boost, so I wonder how well a simple boost triggered water injection system would work that has the same flow at 2500 RPM that it has at 7500 RPM even though the knock (and superknock) tendency is greater lower down. More sophisticated options on port injection engines used the port injection pulse width to control water delivery rate. I don't know if any systems decode direct injection pulse widths in the same way given that they are often over 60V and the waveform is not a simple square wave but more related to peak-hold. I've just been focused on flex fuel, even though we have no E85 in the UK, but this could be a neat solution
Very neat solution indeed. We better get to work then ha!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoGuy View Post
Thanks! I've seen posts regarding this, but a search on their website returns nothing. Anyone got some more info on this?
I believe, from looking at their Instagram account, it looks like an OEM GTS water injection kit. Coupled with their software tune.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #17
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Subscribed for the knowledge.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #18
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I believe, from looking at their Instagram account, it looks like an OEM GTS water injection kit. Coupled with their software tune.
You’re right, I recognise the delivery valve. I send them a message for more info. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #19
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-0...ystem-to-date/

User manual page 20&21 lists DI pulse decoding options and also shows the voltage output vs flow. This or the failsafe voltage could be sent to the DME and work with flex fuel code.

Last edited by BMWcurious; 01-14-2018 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #20
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-0...ystem-to-date/

User manual page 20&21 lists DI pulse decoding options and also shows the voltage output vs flow. This or the failsafe voltage could be sent to the DME and work with flex fuel code.
Thanks for the info. The Aquamist kit looks fantastic. I was considered and have contacted Snow Performance (as well as Awron, owing to the comments above on their system), but I'm going to send an email to Aquamist right away.

I'll ask them regarding recommend installers in the UK, but if you know any reputable people, then don't hesitate to send me a PM. Thanks for all the info buddy!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #21
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Richard's support is legendary although it was about 15 years ago we last communicated. His documentation is superb, would read that before emailing unless you are just looking for an installer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
A very basic noob curious question, if let's say in a GTS, the water tank is empty, what is the difference in performance ? I've read and can't recall where, that the performance difference for a same engine with and without water injection is very small. Is it true?

The benefits and detailed operation are well explained in Ch 4, p32-46, http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1262417 but the only mention about performance impact on p37, is that with a water tank < 300ml, the power map is lowered to the base S55 engine.

Surely water injection does NOT account for that performance increase, putting aside the benefits to reducing wear and tear on engine parts, what is the net performance improvement of a water injection system on the GTS.
Appreciate 0