proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #89
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
So I got the following from BMW today...

Who reads german? lol - if anyone wants me to e-mail a PDF to you let me know. I didn't know how to post non PIC attachments
It was me who posted the insurance certificate over at the 'fest. I did run the referenced document through google translate, but much of it comes out garbled and formatted in a funky way to make reading it difficult.
The upshot, there's seems to be no exclusion for Nurburgring (and maybe other tracks).
From my recollection, there was no coverage for drunk driving, illegal activity, and, more relevant here, timed laps and/or competition. There was also something about testing or trials for max speed not being covered, but maybe the translator failed to come up with the right words.
So as long as you're not announcing that you're setting a new lap time for the Ring, you're OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #90
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'll do that. I'm simply trying to do so sooner rather than later. I dont want to wait till I get there for them to tell me 'no.' And then have to scramble for a backup plan.

Also I have zero intention to push it. I'll probably find a bus and follow it. I just want the experience of driving the track at least once. I may still find a taxi so that I can at least experience it "how it was meant to be experienced."
Starbai, I think I will be there a week or two before you. Planning on being at Ring on 9/18. Also, check schedules re ring as it seems to change, had to redo my itinerary to accommodate change. Lastly, I am going with a trained co-pilot who claims he has never had an incident with one of his customers. Hopefully I will not be the first :-) So we will see. But definitely recommend getting a co-pilot based on what I have read as well as my own experience on US tracks. Only way to go IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #91
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
Starbai, I think I will be there a week or two before you. Planning on being at Ring on 9/18. Also, check schedules re ring as it seems to change, had to redo my itinerary to accommodate change. Lastly, I am going with a trained co-pilot who claims he has never had an incident with one of his customers. Hopefully I will not be the first :-) So we will see. But definitely recommend getting a co-pilot based on what I have read as well as my own experience on US tracks. Only way to go IMO.
I'll be picking up my car on 9/19, but wont be at the Nurburgring till roughly 10/1. If you'd like you can PM it.... but can you share contact info for your co-pilot?

Last edited by starbai; 08-25-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #92
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
So I got the following from BMW today...

Who reads german? lol - if anyone wants me to e-mail a PDF to you let me know. I didn't know how to post non PIC attachments
Well I responded to BMW when they sent me the insurance agreement asking if they had an english version. Partially knowing the answer but figuring it couldn't hurt. I explained what I was looking for and I got the following answer. This combined with what everyone has said here on the forums is finally 'enough' for me.

Hope it helps you guys out too...

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #93
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Well I responded to BMW when they sent me the insurance agreement asking if they had an english version. Partially knowing the answer but figuring it couldn't hurt. I explained what I was looking for and I got the following answer. This combined with what everyone has said here on the forums is finally 'enough' for me.

Hope it helps you guys out too...

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #94
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

NEXT order of business...

Anyone know where to 'rent' a helmet over there? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #95
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NEXT order of business...

Anyone know where to 'rent' a helmet over there? lol

Quote:
Is helmet required?
No, only for bikers.
Source: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-info/info/faq.html

See also: http://www.rsrnurburg.com/page/faqs-your-first-visit

Helmets are only required for official "Track Days" and not "Public Driving Sessions (Touristenfahrten)"
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #96
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Source: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-info/info/faq.html

See also: http://www.rsrnurburg.com/page/faqs-your-first-visit

Helmets are only required for official "Track Days" and not "Public Driving Sessions (Touristenfahrten)"

My wife the physician refuses to get in the car on the track without one.

I'll probably go without.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #97
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'll be picking up my car on 9/19, but wont be at the Nurburgring till roughly 10/1. If you'd like you can PM it.... but can you share contact info for your co-pilot?
Starbai - pm'd you with info! Should be fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #98
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Thanks bud.

I also just joined this group on FB... https://www.facebook.com/groups/578947178925087/

They've already been helpful. A few guys who I guess must be locals say they'd be willing to meet up and help out with a lead follow lap and some pointers.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #99
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

This combined with what everyone has said here on the forums is finally 'enough' for me.
Not to be a buzz-kill, but this doesn't say much legally speaking.

Not "voiding" the insurance isn't the same as "the insurance will cover any/all damages with standard deductible the same as any other public road". For example, the insurance may contain provisions that state if you travel on controlled access roads only $x in damages are covered - e.g., say a dirt road or something.

Just bringing this up because years ago I rented a car in Europe and bought the zero deductible full coverage, got in an extremely minor accident, and long story short, it ended up costing me $1500 which was 25% of the estimated damage, because of a clause on how and where the accident happened.

I have NO IDEA if this is the case with this ED policy, but it would be an example of not voiding the insurance but triggering a clause that specified you have to pay a deductible of 25% of estimated repairs. The insurance isn't void, but you're still out a big chunk of $$.

Just a what-if warning from related experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #100
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

This combined with what everyone has said here on the forums is finally 'enough' for me.
Not to be a buzz-kill, but this doesn't say much legally speaking.

Not "voiding" the insurance isn't the same as "the insurance will cover any/all damages with standard deductible the same as any other public road". For example, the insurance may contain provisions that state if you travel on controlled access roads only $x in damages are covered - e.g., say a dirt road or something.

Just bringing this up because years ago I rented a car in Europe and bought the zero deductible full coverage, got in an extremely minor accident, and long story short, it ended up costing me $1500 which was 25% of the estimated damage, because of a clause on how and where the accident happened.

I have NO IDEA if this is the case with this ED policy, but it would be an example of not voiding the insurance but triggering a clause that specified you have to pay a deductible of 25% of estimated repairs. The insurance isn't void, but you're still out a big chunk of $$.

Just a what-if warning from related experience.
This has happened to me in Norway, however I believe the BMW insurance during ED is more robust. If not, you would see a lot of angry stories on the forums of BMW failing people on ED. But I could be wrong
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #101
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

Have a great time on your ED and hit the Ring for a few laps. As long as you don't go nuts or a McLaren doesn't dump coolant or oil on the track the day you go, you'll be fine!

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #102
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Man you guys are buzz kills! lol j/k
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #103
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I was freaked out a little too...so I spent 149 EUR to hire an instructor...all worked out great. I even let him lap my car...It was a blast!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:37 AM   #104
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
In my view, if you're not sure if you should use your own car on that track, then don't take the chance. Just pay a bit more and rent a car for a few laps.

I am thinking about renting a race car for October as i prefer to be safe than sorry. There's always a chance that things can happen out of your control such as slow drivers, crazy people, rain, or someone dumping oil on the track.

Regarding insurance, it has to be covered since its a public road. I was there last year (not ED) and i saw tons of varying cars on the track including vans.
Of course its a risk you take, but I figure I'll find a tour bus and follow it slowly lol. I just can't go there and not drive. I'm really struggling with this decision.

This isn't my first time on a track. I'm not a professional racer either. But I'm not trying to push it. I just want to do a lap or two for the experience.

If I've got coverage, it's making my choice a lot simpler.

Renting a race car actually seems like it has more risk. The insurance they typically come with has a max coverage limit, $10k or so (but depends on the car). Any damage beyond that, you're responsible for.

It seems though that for the Allianz coverage with ED, the car is covered 100% fully comprehensive with zero deductible.

So I guess I'd argue (if there is no exclusion for the Nurburgring) that you actually have better coverage with your own car than with the vehicles you rent.
Dude. I think your involved in at least 4 threads on this subject. Your very thorough.

Regarding renting a "race car". It looks kinda sketchy if you ask me. I saw people fuckin up those cars (over revs etc etc...) and getting banged up with hefty fees. I watched as people came back from their laps and the rental companies went over those cars with a fine tooth comb.

Hire an instructor and play some Xbox before you go

Have fun with whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #105
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Dude. I think your involved in at least 4 threads on this subject. Your very thorough.

Regarding renting a "race car". It looks kinda sketchy if you ask me. I saw people fuckin up those cars (over revs etc etc...) and getting banged up with hefty fees. I watched as people came back from their laps and the rental companies went over those cars with a fine tooth comb.

I did a couple of laps with my M3 on ED last year and had a lot of fun. It was a weekday so not much traffic on the day I went.

I am planning to go back this October and am planning to rent a track prep'd car from one of those ring rental companies. Hopefully, I won't be getting banged up with hefty fees from them.
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #106
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

Yeap, I tried searching before starting my own threads... so in many cases I'm bumping old stuff lol

Pulling my Fanatec Porsche Steering Wheel Forza 3 and Xbox360 out tomorrow and setting it all back up. Haven't played it in like 6 years lol... need to learn the turns again! Been a longgg time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuene93 View Post
I did a couple of laps with my M3 on ED last year and had a lot of fun. It was a weekday so not much traffic on the day I went.

I am planning to go back this October and am planning to rent a track prep'd car from one of those ring rental companies. Hopefully, I won't be getting banged up with hefty fees from them.
Honestly I really looked at this option hard but the liability is quite frankly a lot higher than the protection of the BMW insurance through ED.

I'm more worried about other people than my own skills but hoping that taking it easy will make a difference
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 12:22 AM   #107
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Just stay to your right and the ring regulars will go around you. Don't worry about them most of those folks know what they're doing. Everyone that doesn't know what they're doing is staying to the right. If you're this worried about it then just take the ring taxi. I took my wife and kids on the ring and it was no big deal bc I stayed to the right and let everyone pass me. No shame. I wanted to bring my M3 home too hahah

Last edited by MFNATIK; 08-27-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
GrussGott18114.50
      08-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #108
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Just stay to your right and the ring regulars will go around you. Don't worry about them most of those folks know what they're doing. Everyone that doesn't know what they're doing in as staying to the right. If you're this worried about it then just take the ring taxi. I took my wife and kids on the ring and it was no big deal bc I stayed to the right and let everyone pass me. No shame. I wanted to bring my M3 home too hahah
This
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      08-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #109
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Quote:
Honestly I really looked at this option hard but the liability is quite frankly a lot higher than the protection of the BMW insurance through ED.

I'm more worried about other people than my own skills but hoping that taking it easy will make a difference
I wish I can do ED again this year. Driving your own car on Nurburgring is an exceptional experience. Like other have said above, just staying on the right and letting other faster guys pass you on your left. Enjoy the ring with your M.

I may be renting a Renault this year for a couple laps this year. Their included insurance excess should be good enough, just if it is not totaled.
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #110
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuene93 View Post
I wish I can do ED again this year. Driving your own car on Nurburgring is an exceptional experience. Like other have said above, just staying on the right and letting other faster guys pass you on your left. Enjoy the ring with your M.

I may be renting a Renault this year for a couple laps this year. Their included insurance excess should be good enough, just if it is not totaled.
I wish I could ED every year hahaha. Best way to experience Europe and the Ring.
Appreciate 1
ssuene93695.50