Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #683
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
It's pretty good. Exclusive is by far the best group I have run with. Advanced group has several GT3s and GT3 RS that really push hard and some other really fast cars most of the time. People are very respectful to each other in every group tho and low car count per group as well. That's why I love Exclusive so much.

Yes, this was my PB and my virtual best was 1:39 but not sure if I can achieve it with this stock suspension. Suspension is my biggest complaint about the car right now. Good luck and have fun on Monday! Keep us posted!
Virtual best are there to give you goals man. You should be able to get close to VB, and once you get close it'll get even lower

No camber plates yet? Suspension is the biggest issue with the ZCP, esp. on track. At a min. get camber plates, then consider full suspension upgrade. Tires be happy, driver be happy, we all happy!

Nice lap btw (outside of the crappy video)
Thank you! I forgot to add that I have GC camber plates as well. I should edit my post lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #684
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

A cold and windy Monday at Laguna Seca. The car put down some quick times, but I was wrestling it all day and didn't have much confidence. Turns 2-6 were awful for me; it felt like there was zero grip and the car kept understeering and pushing on entry and mid corner. It rained on and off all weekend and also this morning, so I figure that combined with mid 40s temperatures didn't help the overall available grip of the track. I tried to adjust pressures, soften/stiffen the suspension and couldn't find a setup that I felt comfortable with. I have done a lot of upgrades to the car recently so it could just be a readjustment period for me.

Since my last time out, the car has gotten:

AP 9668 Front Kit - I wish I would've done this as soon as I started tracking. Brakes weren't even a concern at all. Not a hint of brake fade and I was never worried that I would overshoot a turn. Usually I have to take it easy and back off towards the end of a session, but being able to consistently hammer the brakes and push the car to the limit for the full 20 minutes today was incredibly refreshing.

Achilles Slicks - I got a good deal on these brand new so figured I would give them a shot. I ran the 275/305 staggered setup and have mixed feelings about them. I've never run full slicks before so not sure how good these are in comparison to some of the other slick offerings, but the car definitely needs to be dialed in suspension and alignment wise so the jury is still out.

100% E85 Tune - Car is making significantly more power, probably too much power. It's a major handful even with 305 slicks out back. This also probably has a lot to do with my struggles today. The throttle is so much more sensitive and the rear will constantly step out if you aren't careful. I had my first real mistake today and it was due to applying throttle too early exiting a turn. I was able to save it but still went all 4 off and made quite the dusty mess for those behind me.

Goal was 1:36.xx and I fell a little bit short. The car is definitely capable though. I will get it next time out when the car is more dialed in.

Car: 2017 M4 ZCP
Track: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 01:37.10
AST5200, AP 9668, E85, Slicks
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
MaynardZed1231.00
      02-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #685
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
A cold and windy Monday at Laguna Seca. The car put down some quick times, but I was wrestling it all day and didn't have much confidence. Turns 2-6 were awful for me; it felt like there was zero grip and the car kept understeering and pushing on entry and mid corner. It rained on and off all weekend and also this morning, so I figure that combined with mid 40s temperatures didn't help the overall available grip of the track. I tried to adjust pressures, soften/stiffen the suspension and couldn't find a setup that I felt comfortable with. I have done a lot of upgrades to the car recently so it could just be a readjustment period for me.

AP 9668 Front Kit - I wish I would've done this as soon as I started tracking. Brakes weren't even a concern at all. Not a hint of brake fade and I was never worried that I would overshoot a turn. Usually I have to take it easy and back off towards the end of a session, but being able to consistently hammer the brakes and push the car to the limit for the full 20 minutes today was incredibly refreshing.

Achilles Slicks - I got a good deal on these brand new so figured I would give them a shot. I ran the 275/305 staggered setup and have mixed feelings about them. I've never run full slicks before so not sure how good these are in comparison to some of the other slick offerings, but the car definitely needs to be dialed in suspension and alignment wise so the jury is still out.

100% E85 Tune - Car is making significantly more power, probably too much power. It's a major handful even with 305 slicks out back. This also probably has a lot to do with my struggles today. The throttle is so much more sensitive and the rear will constantly step out if you aren't careful. I had my first real mistake today and it was due to applying throttle too early exiting a turn. I was able to save it but still went all 4 off and made quite the dusty mess for those behind me.

Goal was 1:36.xx and I fell a little bit short. The car is definitely capable though. I will get it next time out when the car is more dialed in.

Impressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #686
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep

Some video from the weekend for anyone interested:

Appreciate 2
YMB_M3226.50
fanatic11018.50
      03-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #687
trackm4
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: MW M4

Quote:

1:37?????????????????

that's not just impressive its downright mind-blowing! Congratulations sir!!! Respect!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #688
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

FIRM ( Florida )

M4
Stock tune
Eibach V2
Castro's SRF
Power stop track day pads
Stock 19s re-71 265/285/35
1:22.19

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      03-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #689
hyperspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R8, MYP, GLE

2:11.603
hyperspeed
2018 M3 ZCP 6MT
18" Apex EC-7 on Advan Neova AD08 265/295/30
Ferodo DS2500 Pads
Eibach Pro Kit

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #690
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Road Atlanta

Went back to Road Atlanta last month on BFG Gforce R1 285/35/18 with PFC08 to improve my lap times:
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  139.4 KB
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #691
helothere
Car ADD
Rep
Drives: few cars serving own purpose

Helmet cam footage from last weekend's Bimmer Challenge Rd.3 event.

3/31/2018
Willow Springs Road Course (Big Track)
2017 M3 ZCP
Moton Clubsports
Nitto NT01 275/35/18 squared

Best Lap 1:32.433

Trinity Autosport setup the car,

Honestly not really the best setup to put down fastest lap but definitely a fun setup to play around tossing the car around.

100% sure with better brake pads (still on stock oem set) and less oversteer can shave off another few seconds as is.
Possibly even more with wider rear tires? shall find out....

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #692
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by helothere View Post

3/31/2018
2017 M3 ZCP
Moton Clubsports

Honestly not really the best setup to put down fastest lap but definitely a fun setup to play around tossing the car around.

100% sure with better brake pads (still on stock oem set) and less oversteer can shave off another few seconds as is.
Nice and smooth lap there! But idk how you're still alive though, running suspension and NT01s with stock brake pads! Get those suckers outta there. Don't be a square, get some wider rubber back there too (IMO).

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #693
helothere
Car ADD
Rep

Quote:
Nice and smooth lap there! But idk how you're still alive though, running suspension and NT01s with stock brake pads! Get those suckers outta there. Don't be a square, get some wider rubber back there too (IMO).
Thanks!

Things you've mentioned are already on the way
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #694
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by helothere View Post

3/31/2018
2017 M3 ZCP
Moton Clubsports

Nice time! I was there running green group.

2008 M3 BRP 2:08.4 Big Willow 1:37.8 SOW CW 1:29.0 Chuckwalla CW 2:07.4 LS 1:46.7 ACS 2:00.7
2010 GT-R BRP 1:55.3 Big Willow 1:32.0 SOW CCW 1:23.4 Chuckwalla CCW 2:02.5 Chuckwalla CW 2:00.1 LS 1:41.2 ACS 1:50.6
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #695
helothere
Car ADD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Nice time! I was there running green group.
Which car were you in? GT-R?

Ran both Red and Green, left after 3rd session ended.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #696
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep

Back at Buttonwillow and did a new PB. I finally have the car dialed in and setup to my liking and it's incredible to drive. I was getting GT3 fever for a second and totally got it out of my system with this last track day.

Track: Buttonwillow 13CW
Best Lap Time: 01:51.90
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
redpriest2145.50
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #697
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Back at Buttonwillow and did a new PB. I finally have the car dialed in and setup to my liking and it's incredible to drive. I was getting GT3 fever for a second and totally got it out of my system with this last track day.

I’m curious, what did you change to dial it in?

And on a separate note, what is your review of the AST?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #698
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I’m curious, what did you change to dial it in?

And on a separate note, what is your review of the AST?
I've been playing around a lot with the cars alignment, adjusting the AST's, different tires, brake pads, etc. Trying a lot of different offerings out there to see what suits my car and driving style best. The biggest difference I've found for me is switching to slicks. With my E85 tune the car makes way too much power for an NT01 or something similar. All the power was negated trying to feather the throttle, but now that the car hooks up much better I'm really able to exploit the power increase and pickup speed all around the track.

For this specific run I was using
-3.6 Front Camber, 0 Toe
-2.0 Rear Camber, Minimal Toe (don't have sheet in front of me)
+4 clicks up front on AST's
+2 clicks in rear on AST's
305/645/18 Scrubbed Pirelli DH Squared
DSuno Pads Front/Rear

The M4 is my first car I've ever tracked and the AST's are the only aftermarket suspension I've ever purchased. I'm very happy with them and they satisfy my needs quite well, but I have no reference to compare them to. The car handles weight transitions with ease, does whatever I want it to steering input wise and is extremely predictable in it's behavior, especially on the limit. The biggest difference I felt when installing the suspension was feeling more confidence slipping the car through turns, especially high speed turns. Each click offers a big change - even doing just +1 click in the rear makes all the difference in available rear traction for me. I'm sure the same could be said for all the other suspension offerings available too though. In the end I purchased the AST's because they were available quickly, affordably and I personally like trying out different setups than what's commonly used.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #699
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

1:01.6, dvas, 6MT (NT01, Bilstein B16 PSS10, PFC08)

First track day of the year yesterday with BMWCCA at Lime Rock Park. Trying a new setup with Apex wheels 18x10 and Nitto NT01 275/35 square. Running 3.2 degrees of camber, makes it look pretty mean.

The temps were very accommodating hovering in the 60s for most of the day. Car felt good and the tires have more in them than what I pushed. Happy to be in the 1:01s at the first track day of the year.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #700
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
I've been playing around a lot with the cars alignment, adjusting the AST's, different tires, brake pads, etc. Trying a lot of different offerings out there to see what suits my car and driving style best. The biggest difference I've found for me is switching to slicks. With my E85 tune the car makes way too much power for an NT01 or something similar. All the power was negated trying to feather the throttle, but now that the car hooks up much better I'm really able to exploit the power increase and pickup speed all around the track.

For this specific run I was using
-3.6 Front Camber, 0 Toe
-2.0 Rear Camber, Minimal Toe (don't have sheet in front of me)
+4 clicks up front on AST's
+2 clicks in rear on AST's
305/645/18 Scrubbed Pirelli DH Squared
DSuno Pads Front/Rear

The M4 is my first car I've ever tracked and the AST's are the only aftermarket suspension I've ever purchased. I'm very happy with them and they satisfy my needs quite well, but I have no reference to compare them to. The car handles weight transitions with ease, does whatever I want it to steering input wise and is extremely predictable in it's behavior, especially on the limit. The biggest difference I felt when installing the suspension was feeling more confidence slipping the car through turns, especially high speed turns. Each click offers a big change - even doing just +1 click in the rear makes all the difference in available rear traction for me. I'm sure the same could be said for all the other suspension offerings available too though. In the end I purchased the AST's because they were available quickly, affordably and I personally like trying out different setups than what's commonly used.
Have you experimented with the rear alignment at all? I'm looking at adding more camber to the rear but I am concerned that could potentially reduce traction. I'm thinking somewhere between -2.0/-2.2 and a bit of toe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
1:01.6, dvas, 6MT (NT01, Bilstein B16 PSS10, PFC08)

First track day of the year yesterday with BMWCCA at Lime Rock Park. Trying a new setup with Apex wheels 18x10 and Nitto NT01 275/35 square. Running 3.2 degrees of camber, makes it look pretty mean.

The temps were very accommodating hovering in the 60s for most of the day. Car felt good and the tires have more in them than what I pushed. Happy to be in the 1:01s at the first track day of the year.

Looks great with those wheels!

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #701
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Have you experimented with the rear alignment at all? I'm looking at adding more camber to the rear but I am concerned that could potentially reduce traction. I'm thinking somewhere between -2.0/-2.2 and a bit of toe in.
I haven't had much luck with anything more than -2 camber in the rear with +.18 toe. I tried -2.2 with +.24 in the rear and I experienced excessive inner wear. With those settings, that was the first time my rear tires went before my front tires. Usually I just struggle with the front tire wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #702
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:

Holy shit!

Was that you at Speed District as "Juan Montoya" in the white M4?! I saw your car coming at me and I just got out of the way, lol.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #703
empowered_one
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP Mineral White

Putnam Park Road Course

1:23:47 Empowered_One F80 ZCP 6MT (MPSS, RSL29, MachntSchnell Springs)

I ran my F80 at a 10/10ths Motorsports event this past weekend at Putnam Park Road Course. Seeing as the car sat most of the winter (I picked it up in January), I decided to give it a shot at my first HPDE event in 15 years.

Putnam Park is really a nice 1.78 mile, 10-turn road course with very little in the way of walls or rails, which really helped to inspire confidence. I was definitely the limiting factor as the MPSS are just not the best choice for a road course.
Attached Images

Last edited by empowered_one; 04-23-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #704
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Carolina Motorsport Park: 1:47:14. Pagid rs29 pads and re-71r tires
Appreciate 2
MaynardZed1231.00