ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #45
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
You're gonna let a shoulder stop you from rowing your own gears ??
Come on OP..

Just use your left hand to change gears and don't drive too fast. When I was a 15-16 year old, I'd eat, talk on the phone (between head and shoulder) and drive a manual transmission all at the same time.

In hindsight, it feels really irresponsible and stupid.

You should however be able to quite easily and safely row your gears while driving with just one hand. You could also use your right hand in a sling to steer a little while changing gears with your left hand. Not sure how tall you are but you could also use your thigh-knee area to steer a little.
Its the stupidest advice i ever heard, try rowing gears with left hand with no hand on the steering in a bumper to bumper city drive , geez !! Assuming right hand cannot be used at all.
      06-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #46
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperfct View Post
Out of curiosity, would insurance companies be willing to write a ~6 week policy to cover any incidents?
As I understand it, we add a person to the policy. He (or she) adds me to his policy, and I add him (or her) to mine.
Appreciate 1
mperfct35.00
      06-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #47
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Actually, I feel for the OP. As a 6MT driver who had shoulder surgery a little over a year ago - I get it. You cannot drive a 6MT with your shoulder immobilized. You just can't.

Unfortunately the answer will not be found here. My advice? Rent. If too much money then - Find a close friend with an automatic "mainstream" car. Trade him or her for a few months, not some stranger here. There's an incentive for them because your car is nicer and your short term problem is solved.
What kind of surgery and how long before you could throw gears again? Did you look into a weighted shift knob to reduce the force required for throws?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #48
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Its the stupidest advice i ever heard, try rowing gears with left hand with no hand on the steering in a bumper to bumper city drive , geez !! Assuming right hand cannot be used at all.
The fact that you're not capable does not mean nobody else is. I've tried it and done it on a car that did not even have power steering in a city with essentially no traffic rules.

P.S: Not had a single accident in the last 15 years of driving so don't even go there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #49
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Actually, I feel for the OP. As a 6MT driver who had shoulder surgery a little over a year ago - I get it. You cannot drive a 6MT with your shoulder immobilized. You just can't.

Unfortunately the answer will not be found here. My advice? Rent. If too much money then - Find a close friend with an automatic "mainstream" car. Trade him or her for a few months, not some stranger here. There's an incentive for them because your car is nicer and your short term problem is solved.
What kind of surgery and how long before you could throw gears again? Did you look into a weighted shift knob to reduce the force required for throws?
Ripped rotator cuff. Immobilized completely for 6 weeks. Very limited mobility for about 6 weeks more. No chance of driving with one hand - zero. For about 10 weeks your arm may as well be amputated.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #50
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The fact that you're not capable does not mean nobody else is. I've tried it and done it on a car that did not even have power steering in a city with essentially no traffic rules.

P.S: Not had a single accident in the last 15 years of driving so don't even go there.
Nice picture of heavy traffic. :

Driving a stick with a left hand only is not only foolish. It clearly would be illegal - making you vulnerable to a reckless driving charge.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1043.50
      06-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #51
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Work threw the pain and discomfort, its only a few weeks.

Last edited by bmrwrld; 06-30-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #52
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
6 M will be a thing of the past. Don't do it.
Did you read the thread at all? The first word of the title is temporarily.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      06-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #53
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
When you start by borderline insulting people that drive a DCT I dont think you would get many replies.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #54
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_M3 View Post
When you start by borderline insulting people that drive a DCT I dont think you would get many replies.
You're new here so let me explain something to you. There has been a very tongue-in-cheek battle going on between 6MT and DCT people for 3 years (in the F8x world), with outlandish and sarcastic comments made by both sides of the argument that have provided for some damn good reading. But beyond our differences in taste with respect to transmissions, we are all M fans, and are all brothers and sisters as far as I am concerned.

With that being said, I am assuming you drive a DCT.

Tampons or pads? Whatever you use needs to be changed.

Last edited by frankiebones; 06-30-2017 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 4
      06-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #55
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Did you read the thread at all? The first word of the title is temporarily.
LOL, I did miss that. Good looking out Gib,
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #56
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Do not BS here, its not possible , on a left hand drive car driving with left hand only is not possible on a MT , its very very risky and uncomfortable to say the least.
      06-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #57
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do not BS here, its not possible , on a left hand drive car driving with left hand only is not possible on a MT , its very very risky and uncomfortable to say the least.
I agree that it's not ideal and might be difficult in some circumstances but if you are suggesting you know better than me about what I did, you're wrong.

Also, quite stupid.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #58
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice picture of heavy traffic. :

Driving a stick with a left hand only is not only foolish. It clearly would be illegal - making you vulnerable to a reckless driving charge.
I was under the assumption that the OP could use his right hand sparingly if he needed to hold the steering wheel while shifting. I am not asking the OP to go canyon carving while his hand is in a sling either.

I agree that it would definitely be difficult to shift using your left hand while in the middle of a turn. The OP's been driving a stick for years and I am sure he can coordinate enough to not have to shift gears mid corner.

The photo of traffic is the type of traffic that I had to drive in on a daily basis when I was teenager.

Also, I just drove home from work (4.5 miles) using only my left hand (for kicks). Definitely not ideal but only time I had a little difficulty was while parking.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #59
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was under the assumption that the OP could use his right hand sparingly if he needed to hold the steering wheel while shifting. I am not asking the OP to go canyon carving while his hand is in a sling either.

I agree that it would definitely be difficult to shift using your left hand while in the middle of a turn. The OP's been driving a stick for years and I am sure he can coordinate enough to not have to shift gears mid corner.

The photo of traffic is the type of traffic that I had to drive in on a daily basis when I was teenager.

Also, I just drove home from work (4.5 miles) using only my left hand (for kicks). Definitely not ideal but only time I had a little difficulty was while parking.
With respect to the reckless driving comment someone made before, it is true that if a cop pulls you over, or if you get into an accident, you are held liable or charged with reckless driving if you only have 1 hand available to drive and operate a stick shift. i found nothing on the internet to substantiate this, but my friend who's a NYC cop said this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #60
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

Dude. Go knock on some wood now!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #61
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree that it's not ideal and might be difficult in some circumstances but if you are suggesting you know better than me about what I did, you're wrong.

Also, quite stupid.
I don't know what u think of yourself but it's the stupidest and irresponsible thing anyone can do , that's the reason why we have so many accidents from idiotic drivers
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #62
MrBeard420
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 F82

Bad right shoulder from Jiu Jitsu and even hurt I can row the gears on my HellCat which is way harder. Go slow it can be done. But on another note that's a crazy request. Honestly, this would be something a close buddy or car club buddy would do.

How can you trust someone's driving style and habits in your car..

Hope it works out but that's a strange request.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #63
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Wish you hadn't clicked the DCT box when ordering your F80? Still reminisce of the old days when you were manly and drove a Manual Transmission? Reminisce no more!

Due to many, many years of weight lifting I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder that requires surgery. I will be in a sling and unable to operate a car the way it is supposed to be operated for several months.....

I drive a 2016 F80 with MPE, CF rear diffuser, black partial leather in the greatest color ever invented by God himself....Yas Marina Blue.

I am willing to swap cars with anyone who chose DCT and has an F80 of any year. I drive about 1200 miles a month.

Should be about 6-8 weeks before I can row my own gears again after surgery, which is probably within the next 4 weeks. I live in Long Island, New York
Your request is far to civilised for this day and age mate.

There is nothing wrong with the request - except for the fact that we live in an age of paranoia where everyone's paranoid that the next guy is out to lie cheat and steal. These innocent requests seem out of place only because the world is completely f***ed!

Good luck with the search and hopefully the surgery goes well.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #64
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeard420 View Post
Bad right shoulder from Jiu Jitsu and even hurt I can row the gears on my HellCat which is way harder. Go slow it can be done. But on another note that's a crazy request. Honestly, this would be something a close buddy or car club buddy would do.

cant hurt to try and it provided some interesting responses and discourse to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #65
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_M3 View Post
You're new here so let me explain something to you. There has been a very tongue-in-cheek battle going on between 6MT and DCT people for 3 years (in the F8x world), with outlandish and sarcastic comments made by both sides of the argument that have provided for some damn good reading. But beyond our differences in taste with respect to transmissions, we are all M fans, and are all brothers and sisters as far as I am concerned.

With that being said, I am assuming you drive a DCT.

Tampons or pads? Whatever you use needs to be changed.
      07-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #66
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeard420 View Post

cant hurt to try and it provided some interesting responses and discourse to say the least.
You make good points. FWIW, I suspect that you are going to have to park the F80 and go the Enterprise route.