European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

HPDE in the New York Metro Area

I'm looking to do an HPDE or 2 this year. My car is completely stock except for some wider MPSS and a BMS clutch stop. This will be my first time taking my car onto a road course.

I went on motorsportreg.com and they have an easy calendar of all the upcoming events but does anyone have any opinions on the different clubs? I've seen EMRA, Hooked on Driving, SCDA, Patroon, etc.

The tracks that pop up are Lime Rock and NJMP. I'm leaning towards Lime Rock. Any thoughts on that is appreciated as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

If this is your first time I am a big fan of the BMWCCA format. With BMWCCA you will be ensured to have an instructor ride with you and plenty of informative classroom as well to discuss technique/skills. Plus the majority of your fellow participants will be BMW enthusiasts.

Some of the other groups in your area may have similar formats, but some may only have "some" instructors available and limited to no classroom. Basically if it is your first time I would be sure to pick a group that can guarantee an instructor and has classroom in addition to on track activities.

Last edited by Pic18; 02-12-2018 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
If this is your first time I am a big fan of the BMWCCA format. With BMWCCA you will be ensured to have an instructor ride with you and plenty of informative classroom as well to discuss technique/skills. Plus the majority of your fellow participants will be BMW enthusiasts.

Some of the other groups in your area may have similar formats, but some may only have "some" instructors available and limited to no classroom. Basically if it is your first time I would be sure to pick a group that can guarantee an instructor and has classroom in addition to on track activities.
Thanks Pic. I haven't looked at all of them but the "Patroon" one says an instructor drives with you for (4) 20 minute sessions and there is class time in between. They require a BMW CCA membership otherwise they charge an additional $49 to get the membership. I imagine that means it's geared towards BMWs.
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      02-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I dont mean to be rude, but don't go with BMWCCA or PCA.

Go with SCDA. They just made their calendar even better this year by expanding the # of courses theyre visiting and the # of events theyre doing. They have the same amount of training available as the others and less attitude from the staff. I've done 20+ events with them and have enjoyed everyone of them.
Definitely don't do PCA ever.

And yes, Lime Rock is a great choice for your first event. Beginner group is usually full and slow but thats to be expected.

Last edited by MaX PL; 02-12-2018 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
I dont mean to be rude, but don't go with BMWCCA or PCA.

Go with SCDA. They just made their calendar even better this year by expanding the # of courses theyre visiting and the # of events theyre doing.
BMW and PCA are good to begin with IMO. They have the least incidents and they have more experience instructing students. You can drive with similar cars on track instead of passing all the Miatas.

I understand if u have more experience, BMWCCA or PCA will be boring but u can still climb the ladder in their system and even go racing. Also they are fairly cheap, maybe they are sponsored by BMW or Porsche.

Other clubs have more track time and of course more expensive. They are less intrusive on your driving styles and leave more space for improvement (well, people learn from failure, you need budgets to race lol)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post

I agree for a first time with the BMW CCA recommendation. The NJ chapter, for sure, is focused on safe fun - so there shouldn't be anything near hairy on track, and you will be allowed to progress as your own skill and comfort allow.

Yes you will have to be a CCA member, but that should also get you a 10% discount at your local parts department, and also after 1 year membership you're eligible for a CCA rebate on new/CPO bmw purchases, along with a monthly BMW focused magazine.

I highly recommend the NJ Chapters annual driver/instructor training school @ NJMP. At that one they offer a very reasonably priced ($200) one day Sunday "Introduction to the track" option if the 2 day is too much for you to commit to.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      02-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Long time BMW CCA member here. Our instructors are highly competent and safety is #1 priority. You will be stretched to the limit first time on track. You will always have an instructor. BMW CCA is a great organization in its own right. we run the Street Survival program for new teen drivers and local auto cross. SCDA is also well run if that fits into your schedule better.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. I will shoot for the BMWCCA event for now. I'll look for the NJ one as well. 2 day event sounds good.
Appreciate 0