GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 ///M4

Anyone with experience tracking M performance HAS kit?

Wondering if anyone is tracking the M performance suspension with stock/ZCP EDC dampers and if they are happy with the setup? I had horrible results running swift springs with stock 2015 dampers on track with my last M4. No camber plates then but don't think it would've mattered as I lost almost a full second a lap over the stock suspension setup. I should know by now that there's no substitute for coilovers but am trying to keep this car as street friendly as possible. Inner city streets...
      01-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have a 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT.

Just had it out on track on Sunday at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump NV. I have the M Performance suspension but not the HAS. I believe they are different. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Prior to yesterday I had done 2 other track days after I got the car and promptly ruined the front tires. That was in the first 10,000 miles. I put on a set of PS4's and some Ground Control camber plates and the difference is very noticeable. Crisper turn in and more even tire wear. I went with a conservative 2.3 on the front camber because this car is my daily and will only see about 10% track time. I have a dedicated track car that gets a lot more use.

For me the camber plates solved my track issues. Not completely of course, track modifications are a slippery slope, you should see my track car! LOL!
But for what I am looking for out of this car, 90% street, 10% track, it completes the car from a driving standpoint for me. I did not want a car I had to modify to be able to drive daily and on the track. That's why the ZCP package is so great in my eyes. I dont have to do anything to the car and it performed great, camber plates made it even better. Depending on how much track time you are planning on, that would determine if more mods would be in your future. I think you will be very happy with the stock setup if you are just looking to have some fun!

As a point of reference, I have been running at Spring Mountain for about 5 years and instruct for the PCA.

Here are a few laps in traffic from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8tDdZkQaGE&t=10s
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbret View Post

Just had it out on track on Sunday at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump NV. I have the M Performance suspension but not the HAS. I believe they are different. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Prior to yesterday I had done 2 other track days after I got the car and promptly ruined the front tires. That was in the first 10,000 miles. I put on a set of PS4's and some Ground Control camber plates and the difference is very noticeable. Crisper turn in and more even tire wear. I went with a conservative 2.3 on the front camber because this car is my daily and will only see about 10% track time. I have a dedicated track car that gets a lot more use.

For me the camber plates solved my track issues. Not completely of course, track modifications are a slippery slope, you should see my track car! LOL!
But for what I am looking for out of this car, 90% street, 10% track, it completes the car from a driving standpoint for me. I did not want a car I had to modify to be able to drive daily and on the track. That's why the ZCP package is so great in my eyes. I dont have to do anything to the car and it performed great, camber plates made it even better. Depending on how much track time you are planning on, that would determine if more mods would be in your future. I think you will be very happy with the stock setup if you are just looking to have some fun!

As a point of reference, I have been running at Spring Mountain for about 5 years and instruct for the PCA.

So the only change was camber plates and tires? No change to brake pads or fluids or any ecu tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
So the only change was camber plates and tires? No change to brake pads or fluids or any ecu tune?
Correct. I do have CCB's and will probably change to a high temp brake fluid before I take it out again but it performed great as is. Very capable and plenty fast! I hit 128\129 on the back stretch before the bus stop. Good stuff.
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
Correct. I do have CCB's and will probably change to a high temp brake fluid before I take it out again but it performed great as is. Very capable and plenty fast! I hit 128\129 on the back stretch before the bus stop. Good stuff.
Wow that is great. I was just at thunder hill last weekend. First time out. I have a lot to learn. To be honest quite nervous about spinning out or worse yet off the track. It had rained recently so ground was wet and cars had caught and flipped trying to correct back on to the course.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

M Performance suspension is the HAS. If your height adjustable suspension was installed after you received your car then you have the HAS obviously. Not sure what situation you'd be in to not know what suspension you have?

To answer the OPs question, i drove both the M4 and M3 with the M Performance suspension (HAS) at the M track days and I found it fantastic for spirited track driving. I loved it so much I'm getting this suspension setup next month. I also immediately got my firmware updated for suspension which also made a huge difference than what the car came with from the factory.

I only plan to track my car 3 to four times a year and feel the MPerformance suspension fits my needs.
Appreciate 1
m3pilot25.00
      01-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Great review, I just installed GC camber plates as well. By any chance Do yours chatter a little while driving slow over road imperfections?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #8
Race82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Yes, non ZCP with M HAS and the car is definitely more planted with less roll, translated to slightly faster times as was smoother and had more steering feel. Would highly recommend if warranty is of consideration.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

There a are 3 possible suspension options for the M3/4:
  • Base non-EDC
  • Base EDC
  • CP EDC
The only M-Performance suspension for the M3/4 is the HAS kit that is not offered as a factory installed option.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3pilot View Post
Wondering if anyone is tracking the M performance suspension with stock/ZCP EDC dampers and if they are happy with the setup? I had horrible results running swift springs with stock 2015 dampers on track with my last M4. No camber plates then but don't think it would've mattered as I lost almost a full second a lap over the stock suspension setup. I should know by now that there's no substitute for coilovers but am trying to keep this car as street friendly as possible. Inner city streets...
Installing springs that significantly change the spring rates relative to stock will throw off the damper calibration. Maybe that is what you experienced with the Swift.

From what I have read, the MP-HAS retain the same spring rates as the CP, hence the EDC damper tuning will be un-affected. The difference is the ability to adjust the ride height and optimize corner balancing with the HAS. Lowering the ride height trough the springs lowers the center of gravity of the car which reduces side-to-side weight transfer during cornering and braking which in turn translates to more total grip. Corner balancing the car will ensure left and right turn cornering capabilities are well balanced.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 ///M4

From what I have read, the MP-HAS retain the same spring rates as the CP, hence the EDC damper tuning will be un-affected. The difference is the ability to adjust the ride height and optimize corner balancing with the HAS. Lowering the ride height trough the springs lowers the center of gravity of the car which reduces side-to-side weight transfer during cornering and braking which in turn translates to more total grip. Corner balancing the car will ensure left and right turn cornering capabilities are well balanced.[/QUOTE]

This is great to know. I'm sold.
Thanks
      01-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
Great review, I just installed GC camber plates as well. By any chance Do yours chatter a little while driving slow over road imperfections?
I don't have any noise from mine at all. Wouldn't know they were there if I had not seen them installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:53 PM   #13
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Any additional input from those that tracked before and after M-perf HAS installation? Ideally, those that have the competition trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #14
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

It's certainly an improvement over stock, but ultimately if you want to drive down your laptimes more, you will need something better. It's just simply too underdamped/sprung for when you get faster, in terms of body roll as well as front-end dive under hard braking. Just all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go and how you want to balance with street manners and the $$ required to achieve that...
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      03-15-2022, 09:19 AM   #15
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I ran MPHAS with GC Camber Plates.

Do not waste your money. You'll net minor benefit from a lower center of gravity but it's just a lowering kit. The balance of the car is all over the place - heavy brake dive and took forever for the car to settle. I found myself drifting more than cornering at one point, which was fun but useless.

Do it right the first time. If it's out of budget - save up and use the stock setup meanwhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #16
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

Do not waste your money. You'll net minor benefit from a lower center of gravity but it's just a lowering kit. The balance of the car is all over the place - heavy brake dive and took forever for the car to settle. I found myself drifting more than cornering at one point, which was fun but useless.

Do it right the first time. If it's out of budget - save up and use the stock setup meanwhile.
I used this setup for years and I did notice that brake dive induced oversteer is an issue, especially with grippier tires and race pads. While not a deal breaker, and even desirable for highly skilled drivers, it is a bit anxiety inducing in some cases, and with rougher tracks, leads to some instability that gives a novice/intermedia driver like me some pause.

Raising the front a bit helped in balancing the car during hard braking, but it's a band-aid to a coilover solution.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
NYG10579.50
CanAutM321115.00
      05-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #17
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

I used this setup for years and I did notice that brake dive induced oversteer is an issue, especially with grippier tires and race pads. While not a deal breaker, and even desirable for highly skilled drivers, it is a bit anxiety inducing in some cases, and with rougher tracks, leads to some instability that gives a novice/intermedia driver like me some pause.

Raising the front a bit helped in balancing the car during hard braking, but it's a band-aid to a coilover solution.
Just out of curiosity - when you guys noticed brake dive combined with some oversteer - was that while you were driving with MDM or with DSC fully-off?

I'm an Intermediate level track driver - and earlier when I would brake heavily in MDM mode, I would notice the rear end hopping around/feeling unstable and on the verge of oversteer - ever since I started driving on track with DSC fully-off, however, the rear end was very well planted and stable (also with MPHAS, either RE71R or Cup2 tires, and either Pagid RS29 or PFC08 pads).

That being said - more advanced drivers may still notice such issues even with DSC fully-off - so curious to hear everyone else's feedback on whether they've noticed this depending on DSC setting…
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      05-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #18
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Just out of curiosity - when you guys noticed brake dive combined with some oversteer - was that while you were driving with MDM or with DSC fully-off?

I'm an Intermediate level track driver - and earlier when I would brake heavily in MDM mode, I would notice the rear end hopping around/feeling unstable and on the verge of oversteer - ever since I started driving on track with DSC fully-off, however, the rear end was very well planted and stable (also with MPHAS, either RE71R or Cup2 tires, and either Pagid RS29 or PFC08 pads).

That being said - more advanced drivers may still notice such issues even with DSC fully-off - so curious to hear everyone else's feedback on whether they've noticed this depending on DSC setting…
DSC Off.

It depends on the elevation changes at the track and how early/late you're getting on throttle or how deep you're trail braking.

I have a habit of not braking very deep into corners (doing all my braking before) so getting on power early was the most common cause for me although it always felt like it was too early with the HAS.
Appreciate 1
Powerslide1096.50
      05-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Quote:
Quote:

DSC fully off. For me it was hard straight line threshold braking from triple digit speeds. The rear would feel like it was dancing ever so slightly.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Powerslide1096.50
      05-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #20
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DSC fully off. For me it was hard straight line threshold braking from triple digit speeds. The rear would feel like it was dancing ever so slightly.
Setting rear toe to M4GTS settings (slightly more toe in) fixed the squirrelly rear under braking. Was perfectly planted.

Appreciate 2
jmg18658.50
Powerslide1096.50
      05-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #21
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

If the front is soft, smoothly initiate a small amount of brake to more progressively transfer the weight to the front of the car before going full threshold braking. This stops the rear being unloaded too quickly. As the suspension decompresses you also get some toe change, so try a bit setting up a bit more toe in at the rear. The M3's multilink rear is very good and easy to setup properly.
Appreciate 1
Powerslide1096.50
      05-15-2022, 11:26 AM   #22
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

The issue I have right now is the the car feels floaty and unstable stock with Cup2s at speeds over 80 mph. I haven’t felt this on my old M cars before (e46 and e60). It had an alignment (stock). I was hoping MP HAS would fix this.
Appreciate 0