BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
empowered_one
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP Mineral White

Evolution Performance Driving School

Hello F80 community,

I have heard some positive things about the Evolution Performance Driving School and wanted to get some insight on opinions of the school from those of you that have any first hand experience with them.

http://evoschool.com

I have done a few HPDE at Putnam Park and Mid-Ohio in the past and also took the Acura High Performance School at Mid-Ohio a couple years ago, but those were always in either my AWD cars or Acura Performance School was FWD on the track (RWD on autocross course).

I take delivery of my F80 ZCP this week and thought this would be a good opportunity to really learn the boundaries of the car in a controlled environment and I like the fact that you get about 24 runs per day....that is a good chunk of seat time with the instructors.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth the time? I signed up for day 1 already, and wasn't sure if I should do both days or not.
      01-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I assume you signed up for the phase 1 school, and I can promise you that if you don't sign up for the phase 2 the next day, you'll regret it. Evo schools are outstanding and every autocrosser should start there (I also believe anyone interested in HPDE should start there too). Having autocrossed since the mid-70s and instructed at track events since mid-80s, I still really gained a lot from working with Jr, Mike (owner), over 10 years ago in their Extreme school. Not only was I able to identify some faulty personal programming that was ingrained deeply in my brain, but I took away a number of instructing skills I've used ever since (like the exercise of only calling vision cues with advanced students).

Have an open mind, be prepared to be challenged about ingrained and poor habits, be open to rapidly changing yourself -- it can be a really fun day (or two).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
empowered_one
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I assume you signed up for the phase 1 school, and I can promise you that if you don't sign up for the phase 2 the next day, you'll regret it. Evo schools are outstanding and every autocrosser should start there (I also believe anyone interested in HPDE should start there too). Having autocrossed since the mid-70s and instructed at track events since mid-80s, I still really gained a lot from working with Jr, Mike (owner), over 10 years ago in their Extreme school. Not only was I able to identify some faulty personal programming that was ingrained deeply in my brain, but I took away a number of instructing skills I've used ever since (like the exercise of only calling vision cues with advanced students).

Have an open mind, be prepared to be challenged about ingrained and poor habits, be open to rapidly changing yourself -- it can be a really fun day (or two).
Thanks for the feedback, I have read the same on other forums...no matter how "experienced" you are, there is something to be gained from the Evo Driving School....The Extreme School sounds even better.

Welp, it turns out, I can't make either day as I need to be out of town now for a wedding....ugh. But, next time they are in my area I will sign up for BOTH days.
      01-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Joe250
Rep
Drives: Austin Seven

Do it!

I have attended the level 1 and 2 courses a total of 4 times. I cannot recommend their schools enough. Autocross is one of the best ways to learn car control but the downside is you have to spend half or even a whole day for usually just 3-5 runs (depending on region/organization/turn-out, etc.). So the great thing about these schools is that you compress months worth of autocrosses into a single weekend and you get some useful instruction too.

I took the F80 in '15 and '16. She's no sports car but the car performed extremely well for a modern 4-door sedan. The biggest issue in 2015 was my binary throttle control. I lit up the tires constantly while exiting turns. It was definitely fun, but it cost me time.

I returned in 2016 with 275F and 295R Pilot Sports, which helped more than I anticipated but the thing that made a massive difference was something so simple, I'm embarrassed to say it: in slow, out fast. The M3 is not a momentum car and since it has so much torque at all RPM's, the key was to slow down for the turns way more than I "had" to, get the turn executed as quickly as possible, then power out. Give up time in the corners and you'll gain back far more by maximizing acceleration and speed down the straights. Trust me!!!

Shout if I can answer any questions. Starting at the 0:05s mark, you can see footage of me at the 2016 school outside Monterey. Enjoy!

Last edited by Joe250; 01-27-2018 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
empowered_one
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, Joe.

That is great advice which I will keep in the back of my head when I start auto crossing the F80 this year....slow turn-in, power out..they do have plenty of torque at all RPM...and i'd anticipate this will also help out with tire replacement! haha!
      01-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Joe250
Rep
Drives: Austin Seven

Just to be clear here, your turn-in, the actual act of turning the steering wheel, needs to be quite quick. Autocross is all about transitions and the quicker you can transition, the lower your times. My earlier statement referred to corner speeds.

Going for max corner speeds, as if you are driving a Miata or similar low HP, lightweight car, will ultimately slow you down. You'll *feel* fast but the times won't reflect it. Instead, you will literally have to sacrifice corner speed by braking more than seems absolutely necessary, going into the turns carrying less speed than you actually could.

I noticed two benefits immediately: 1. The car wanted to turn. No surprise. Centripetal forces were lower/I wasn't pulling max corner G's. 2. The turn took less total time. Instead of fighting for several seconds to complete a fast sweeper and waiting to be able to stand on the throttle, the car just rotated and BOOM!, you're pointed down the next straight and hard on the gas. After nearly 4 total days (the 2015 class and most of the 2016 class) doing it wrong, it finally clicked. I hope to make it back again this year to practice it more.

I think you understand what I meant in my earlier post, but I wanted to be sure. As you can tell, I love these schools. No affiliation, just a big fan. I brought out a few friends the last two years and everyone enjoyed it, regardless of their skill level. One guy didn't even know what autocross was when he arrived.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Evo schools are fantastic. #1 mod is the driver.

If you haven't been autoxing or doing DEs much I'd recommend a couple days under your belt before a school. That way you're more comfortable in the car and in a better place to learn and progress.
Appreciate 0