proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Post 1200 mile breakin service car behavior

This sound pretty dumb but after my 1200mile brake in service, my M4 seemed as it lost power or something... the sport + mode doesn't have same feel before the service and in fact, it feels like econo mode or something similar.. the sound on sport + did have slight different sound than M1 or Econo, but it does not have same "pull" feel as before.. since the breakin, I drove few times and I can feel slight power lost from before but feels somewhat more smoother (?) inbetween gear changes..

Being a first time owning M, not sure what they do in break service or they change somehing.... Any input on this anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22 View Post
This sound pretty dumb but after my 1200mile brake in service, my M4 seemed as it lost power or something... the sport + mode doesn't have same feel before the service and in fact, it feels like econo mode or something similar.. the sound on sport + did have slight different sound than M1 or Econo, but it does not have same "pull" feel as before.. since the breakin, I drove few times and I can feel slight power lost from before but feels somewhat more smoother (?) inbetween gear changes..

Being a first time owning M, not sure what they do in break service or they change somehing.... Any input on this anyone ?
Shouldn't feel any different. I've had 5 M cars. Funny is most people think its faster after 1200mi service ( which it isnt). If you truly think its slower something is wrong, bring it back to have it checked. They should only do a few things at that service. Oil, rear diff fluid, and activate launch control.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Yeah shouldn't feel any different. Maybe you're getting used to the power/acceleration?

You can always put it on a dyno and let the numbers do the talking.
7/7/14: On the waiting list | 9/8/14: Order submitted | 10/2/14: Order approved. Production number received | 11/7/14: In Production | 11/15/14: End of production | 11/21/14: En route to the US | 12/7/14: Finishing touches | 12/13/14: At the dealer | 12/15/14: Car in garage
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
idocm4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F82

Slap a tune on it. You'll feel the POWA again.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
This is a classic case of the Nocebo effect.
      10-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Definitely one of two things:

1) nocebo; or
2) something is actually wrong with your car (in which case - take it back to your dealer)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Should feel a bit better with fresh fluids. Mine usually does. Did they by any chance upgrade the SW? This always changes the feel of the car in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
thanks guys. it looks like its a comp glitch or something, I felt same again on M2 mode, but "Loss" feel was gone after I reset the M1 and M2 button.
For sure, last few days after 1200 breakin service, M2 didn't really feel like full power but now its back to normal.

thanks for your input !!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindle101 View Post
Shouldn't feel any different. I've had 5 M cars. Funny is most people think its faster after 1200mi service ( which it isnt). If you truly think its slower something is wrong, bring it back to have it checked. They should only do a few things at that service. Oil, rear diff fluid, and activate launch control.
I actually thought the same since all M and bmw is new to me, I thought dealer actually do something to put car into full effect or something.

One thing I did notice after the breakin service was that changing gears felt much more smoother.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Bump.

This!!!! This is exactly how i feel my car is acting now after i took it to the dealer to fix my connected drive problem. I thought i was going crazy and started to believe it was nocebo effect.

Anyone else experience this? This is definitely not nocebo. Anyone know how to fix this or know whats going on?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
Bump.

This!!!! This is exactly how i feel my car is acting now after i took it to the dealer to fix my connected drive problem. I thought i was going crazy and started to believe it was nocebo effect.

Anyone else experience this? This is definitely not nocebo. Anyone know how to fix this or know whats going on?
yah saw your post and I was glad that I was not imagining things in my head.. not sure but it felt bit strange but after few more 100miles driven, things somewhat became normal...

also, for few hundres miles, sport + felt like "econo" mode as there were no "kick" when I hard pressed on pedal so each time when I started car, I has to change mode back and forth to see the difference on sport + vs econo mode..

after few hundred miles, I think everything seems back to normal.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
Bump.

yah saw your post and I was glad that I was not imagining things in my head.. not sure but it felt bit strange but after few more 100miles driven, things somewhat became normal...

also, for few hundres miles, sport + felt like "econo" mode as there were no "kick" when I hard pressed on pedal so each time when I started car, I has to change mode back and forth to see the difference on sport + vs econo mode..

after few hundred miles, I think everything seems back to normal.

hope this helps
Just driven home from my 1200 first service and experiencing the same thing. Way way less power than before. It seems as if I'm in two gears higher than I was previous to the service. Very laggy, sloppy throttle etc. Plus my mpe that has broken "always open" flaps that I'm not inclined to fix now sounds like a stock exhaust. I do hope this issue is temporary as to be honest the difference is so big I actually disliked the drive home. I have no idea why the difference is so big. I'm not joking but the performance now is actually less than my M135 that I've come from.
As I say hoping it's a temporary problem that resolves itself.
      12-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
Just driven home from my 1200 first service and experiencing the same thing. Way way less power than before. It seems as if I'm in two gears higher than I was previous to the service. Very laggy, sloppy throttle etc. Plus my mpe that has broken "always open" flaps that I'm not inclined to fix now sounds like a stock exhaust. I do hope this issue is temporary as to be honest the difference is so big I actually disliked the drive home. I have no idea why the difference is so big. I'm not joking but the performance now is actually less than my M135 that I've come from.
all came back to normal after few drives and playing around with M setting. if it is same experiences as mine, it should go away in few days.

GL ~!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

It sounds like they must be disconnecting the battery at service. No idea why since they should just be changing fluids. But after the ECM loses power it usually needs to go through a few drive cycles to relearn parameters. Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

I just had my 1200 mile service- must have done some nav or software update, some settings were different.
I guess the car feels the same - I had them put 0w30 instead of 5w30
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #16
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
all came back to normal after few drives and playing around with M setting. if it is same experiences as mine, it should go away in few days.

GL ~!!
Update - now on 1350 miles and holy mother of god this car is seriously fast. Not sure what was going on after service but it seems as mentioned after a few miles it sorts itself out. Maybe it is to do with battery disconnect??
All I can say is my comment about the m135i being faster is a distant memory. I put everything in sport+ gear change lvl3 and auto mode (I've not nailed the manual dct gear change points yet) and floored it from 30 on a long empty straight road. Basically foot to floor and hold on tight. Very impressed, big grin on my face and soon realised this car can't be driven flat out everywhere. Which is just what I wanted, excess power in reserve. I didn't have that in the M135 it was foot to floor everywhere and got boring pretty quickly. Happy customer now
      12-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
sweet ~ Enjoy the ride !!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #18
gily
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I had the same issue after the 1200 mile service but mine got the "drivetrain malfunction" warning and it pulls like 2 or 3 times in 1st and 2nd shift (6MT) I have got the drivetrain malfunction several times now, I took it to the dealer and they said it was the gas, that I put low grade gas however I told them I have always put gas on the same station and higher grade, so they drained the tank and put new gas and still the same issue, the reprogram the car computer and still the same issue, currently my car is at the dealer and they are trying to figure out what the issue is, I already told them to verify the charge pipes so lets see what they say now.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #19
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily
I had the same issue after the 1200 mile service but mine got the "drivetrain malfunction" warning and it pulls like 2 or 3 times in 1st and 2nd shift (6MT) I have got the drivetrain malfunction several times now, I took it to the dealer and they said it was the gas, that I put low grade gas however I told them I have always put gas on the same station and higher grade, so they drained the tank and put new gas and still the same issue, the reprogram the car computer and still the same issue, currently my car is at the dealer and they are trying to figure out what the issue is, I already told them to verify the charge pipes so lets see what they say now.
Man that's crap. Finally had the service and now dealing with this. Bummer. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon. Mine took 150 miles or so to blow out the cobwebs but I didn't get any error messages. That said it was very wet here that week so I couldn't give it WOT my experience was more down the bottom end of the Rev range although it was definitely a lot less responsive than pre service for that initial period.
      01-07-2016, 04:15 AM   #20
e46M3-19010
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 / F32 435i

That’s really weird I had a completely opposite experience.

While driving one of the last E46 the odometer rolled past the mileage that was mentioned on the transparent BMW break-in sticker in the windshield. The one that says don’t exceed 137mph during break-in. The car suddenly felt like it had been uncapped.

Later the shop foreman at the dealer said the S54 engine had been programmatically de-tuned (like a miniature limp mode) until it moved through the required mileage. Not sure if that was true but both my passenger and I were convinced we didn’t imagine the improvement.

Battery power cuts during service etc. used to really change how the car felt if learned adaptations were lost, especially in one car that had SMGII.

Does anyone anyone know the true story concerning protective de-tuning?

If so is that an ongoing thing? and do they hobble any non-M vehicles during early mileage?

Thanks, still wondering...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #21
Lorall
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 G80CX

Wow, thought I was going crazy. I just had my 1200 mile service yesterday and on the drive home and into work this morning, the car felt noticeably more sluggish and less responsive. I'll play around with the "M" modes and also see if things work themselves out over the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #22
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorall View Post
Wow, thought I was going crazy. I just had my 1200 mile service yesterday and on the drive home and into work this morning, the car felt noticeably more sluggish and less responsive. I'll play around with the "M" modes and also see if things work themselves out over the next week or so.
yah, after week or so, it comes back to normal. I got annoyed a bit at first, but after couple of days, it was fine. play with setting
Appreciate 0