Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Mineral Gray - touch up paint - color off?

Guys:

I have a MG M4 and the touch-up paint, from the dealership w/the correct paint code, applies/dries darker than the factory paint. I threw away the bottle paint and got another one, just to be sure. Same thing. What am I missing? I'm not aware this is a multi-stage paint. The touch up paint looks correct when you see a drip and has the metallic flake, etc.

Thank you!
-Brian
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Paint matching isn't as simple as finding the right paint code. When they put down the paint on your car, there are environmental factors (humidity) that will influence the final color. If you ever go to the BMW VPC, they have a paint shop where they keep paint chips of different variations of the same color on cars they have repaired. It is pretty surprising how many versions of the same color they have to go through to match the cars.

That said, my own non-expert opinion is that instead of buying the same paint from BMW twice, look into other touch up products like Dr. Colorchip or something from another company. They might have variations that match your car better. I've had good luck with dr colorchip on my mineral white M4, which is known to be difficult to match. The only real way to match paint is to have an autobody shop mix it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

I found the MG touch up paint is WAY off. Got a closer match with a (detailer recommended) Aston Martin paint but still not perfect. May try mixing them and doing some testing if I need them again.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Indeed, even when I got my MG BMW touch up pen same week I got my car, i used it for a tiny blemish, and it is darker. MG is generally very hard to match paint using touch up pens. If it's a small area you are fixing, do your best and forget it, with time, it may look better but of course never perfect and will never be unless you are Larry from Ammo or Mike Philipps...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

I thought so too when I first tested it but I read on the forum you have to shake it ALOT until the metallic flakes mix in. After I shook it for 10-15 minutes it matched.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoB View Post
I thought so too when I first tested it but I read on the forum you have to shake it ALOT until the metallic flakes mix in. After I shook it for 10-15 minutes it matched.
Hey thx, will try that

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0