Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #221
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Agreed, compared to today's engines they are not that extraordinary. Just shows how much engine technology has evolved in the last decades. However, I still think they were pretty exciting engines at the time they came out in the mid/late nineties .
Important point, it's how special the car is when it's launched that counts. I don't think an IBM AT is very impressive now but when it was launched it was the tits. Is the S55 as special in today's market? Maybe not taken it's two predecessors.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #222
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think there is a combination of a slight lack of clarity on my behalf and you assuming the worst about my comments. Without identifying each individual component of the entire drivetrain some must be re-accelerated after each shift and some do not. However, during acceleration the entire drivetrain must be accelerated (angularly obviously). Anyone who knows anything about how a car works can tell the difference between which component fits which description.
Thanks for clarifying, we agree on that point

Quote:
The devil is in the details. A force (torque) balance through the entire drivetrain also involves I's for the driveshaft, axles and wheels. The I's for those components affect the actual acceleration force delivered to the wheels and thus the shift points. Perhaps think of it this way. We all know lighter wheels are great because they essentially act like more power. No they are not actually more power but it is VERY similar as the car has more acclerative force. Different forces affect when the curves cross and hence shift points. Place massively heavy wheels on your vehicle and ideal shift points would change.
On this one, I am not sure I agree. IMO, heavier wheels will have a negative impact on overall acceleration, but not on optimal shift points.

My understanding:

The angular velocity of the wheels is directly proportional to the speed of the vehicle regardless of the selected gear. In other words, their equivalent mass is independent of the gearbox ratio. The same concept applies for all the rotating components downstream of the gearbox (and some inside the gearbox). Only the engine's (and part of the transmission's) angular acceleration relative to the car's linear acceleration varies as a function of the selected gear.

The mass of the car does not need to be considered for optimal shift points because it does not vary with different gears, same applies to rotating components downstream of the gearbox. For a given torque generated at the gearbox output, the same proportion of that torque will be used to accelerate the downstream rotating components regardless of which gear is selected.

Quote:
I do not recall any simulations I provided that showed a vehicle shifting always at or around 7200 rpm. We talked about and older 5er here in this thread as well as the M4. Both share the trend of a at or near redline shift in the first gear (or two) followed by an ever decreasing ideal shift point.
The one in post #195. The shift points for every gear are around 7200. Since the inertial effect of the engine decreases with higher gears, I expect to see higher shift points in the higher gears...
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-22-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #223
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Important point, it's how special the car is when it's launched that counts. I don't think an IBM AT is very impressive now but when it was launched it was the tits. Is the S55 as special in today's market? Maybe not taken it's two predecessors.
I still need to wait and see...

The fact that it promises such a broad power plateau and if the engineers are able to eliminate lag through some smart technical trick could well make the S55 a special engine for its time.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #224
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I still need to wait and see...

The fact that it promises such a broad power plateau and if the engineers are able to eliminate lag through some smart technical trick could well make the S55 a special engine for its time.
I agree, it all comes down if it's revolutionary free from lag. If it is, then yes it will be very special indeed. I clearly remember being blown away by every M cars launched to date first by specifications and then in real performance. This time the specifications isn't really mind blowing with a typical FI power curve and for today's M cars moderate power. The real life performance remain to be felt. No lag, some lag or a lot of lag? We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #225
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I agree, it all comes down if it's revolutionary free from lag. If it is, then yes it will be very special indeed. I clearly remember being blown away by every M cars launched to date first by specifications and then in real performance. This time the specifications isn't really mind blowing with a typical FI power curve and for today's M cars moderate power. The real life performance remain to be felt. No lag, some lag or a lot of lag? We'll see.
Agreed, we're on the same page. I was super excited about every previous M3 with only what I saw on paper; I bought my M3s without even test driving them and was never disappointed. This one is leaving me lukewarm on paper. I will reserve my final judgment when I can drive one myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #226
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2
Quote:
I did not use very detailed power/torque curves. I simply figured gear ratios that would always keep the engine in the 5600-7500 RPM band (1.3393 ratio between ratios). As specified, I assumed that the power at 5600RPM was equal to the power at 7500RPM. Note that this is very basic and does not factor in drivetrain losses.

If you want to input in CarTest, use the following. I am curious to see the results.
Results are not at all as you predicted. Shift points are all well below redline. This is with the exact power curve, gear ratios and redline you have used.

Torque is simply falling too fast above ~5500 rpm to "have room" for the force curves not to cross!
Shifting twice to get to 60 mph doesnt seem that great. Im going to feel like im in an evo. Oh wait ill be getting dct the next time around because of the dumb auto rev match crap and have my e90 for some mechanical noise fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #227
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
I think there is a combination of a slight lack of clarity on my behalf and you assuming the worst about my comments. Without identifying each individual component of the entire drivetrain some must be re-accelerated after each shift and some do not. However, during acceleration the entire drivetrain must be accelerated (angularly obviously). Anyone who knows anything about how a car works can tell the difference between which component fits which description.
Thanks for clarifying, we agree on that point

Quote:
The devil is in the details. A force (torque) balance through the entire drivetrain also involves I's for the driveshaft, axles and wheels. The I's for those components affect the actual acceleration force delivered to the wheels and thus the shift points. Perhaps think of it this way. We all know lighter wheels are great because they essentially act like more power. No they are not actually more power but it is VERY similar as the car has more acclerative force. Different forces affect when the curves cross and hence shift points. Place massively heavy wheels on your vehicle and ideal shift points would change.
On this one, I am not sure I agree. IMO, heavier wheels will have a negative impact on overall acceleration, but not on optimal shift points.

My understanding:

The angular velocity of the wheels is directly proportional to the speed of the vehicle regardless of the selected gear. In other words, their equivalent mass is independent of the gearbox ratio. The same concept applies for all the rotating components downstream of the gearbox (and some inside the gearbox). Only the engine's (and part of the transmission's) angular acceleration relative to the car's linear acceleration varies as a function of the selected gear.

The mass of the car does not need to be considered for optimal shift points because it does not vary with different gears, same applies to rotating components downstream of the gearbox. For a given torque generated at the gearbox output, the same proportion of that torque will be used to accelerate the downstream rotating components regardless of which gear is selected.

Quote:
I do not recall any simulations I provided that showed a vehicle shifting always at or around 7200 rpm. We talked about and older 5er here in this thread as well as the M4. Both share the trend of a at or near redline shift in the first gear (or two) followed by an ever decreasing ideal shift point.
The one in post #195. The shift points for every gear are around 7200. Since the inertial effect of the engine decreases with higher gears, I expect to see higher shift points in the higher gears...
So second gear nets you 14mph?!

Something wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #228
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Something wrong here.
Those were theoretical gear ratios to optimize the power plateau. With the nearly instantaneous shifts provided by the DCT, more frequent shifts are not as inconvenient to optimize performance. When I calculated those ratios, I did not factor in the impact of the engine inertia on shift points. When I have some time to spare, I will recalculate them. It should not make a huge difference, especially in the higher gears. These ratios are unlikely to make it to the actual car.

FD 3.154 RPM km/h
1 4.310 7500 70
2 3.218 7500 94
3 2.403 7500 126
4 1.794 7500 169
5 1.340 7500 226
6 1.000 7500 303
7 0.747 1850 100

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-23-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #229
Rookie84
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Chevy Caprice

Quote:
Shifting twice to get to 60 mph doesnt seem that great. Im going to feel like im in an evo. Oh wait ill be getting dct the next time around because of the dumb auto rev match crap and have my e90 for some mechanical noise fun!
Wouldn't the auto rev-match have an on-off switch? 370Z has the auto rev-match and has a switch to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #230
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:

Something wrong here.
Those were theoretical gear ratios to optimize the power plateau. With the nearly instantaneous shifts provided by the DCT, more frequent shifts are not as inconvenient to optimize performance. When I calculated those ratios, I did not factor in the impact of the engine inertia on shift points. When I have some time to spare, I will recalculate them. It should not make a huge difference, especially in the higher gears. These ratios are unlikely to make it to the actual car.

FD 3.154 RPM km/h
1 4.310 7500 70
2 3.218 7500 94
3 2.403 7500 126
4 1.794 7500 169
5 1.340 7500 226
6 1.000 7500 303
7 0.747 1850 100
But is it optimizing overall speed and acceleration as in the triple digits or was it to optimize quarter mile times or just based on the powerband. Because no matter how much you are in the powerband, if you have a long 7th gear, wouldnt it be pretty slow? Just curious and asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #231
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84
Quote:
Wouldn't the auto rev-match have an on-off switch? 370Z has the auto rev-match and has a switch to turn it off.
From reading other threads it turns on when in sport+ but hopefully its programmable. In any case ive always wanted both an MT and a DCT m3 so i can keep the e90 and get the new m3/4 in dct. Also want a coupe and a sedan so will opt for m4 this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #232
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But is it optimizing overall speed and acceleration as in the triple digits or was it to optimize quarter mile times or just based on the powerband. Because no matter how much you are in the powerband, if you have a long 7th gear, wouldnt it be pretty slow? Just curious and asking.
Basic theory is the longer time you spend in the power plateau, the better acceleration you will have. The intent for this gearing was to optimize acceleration over the entire speed range while still requiring redline shifts (as mentioned, it did not take into consideration engine interia). To have even better acceleration, even tighter ratios should be used to keep the RPM in the 5700-7300 power plateau (instead of the 5500-7500 band) and shifting short of redline; but this would hurt MPG due to a shorter 7th gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #233
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Basic theory is the longer time you spend in the power plateau, the better acceleration you will have. The intent for this gearing was to optimize acceleration over the entire speed range while still requiring redline shifts (as mentioned, it did not take into consideration engine interia). To have even better acceleration, even tighter ratios should be used to keep the RPM in the 5700-7300 power plateau (instead of the 5500-7500 band) and shifting short of redline; but this would hurt MPG due to a shorter 7th gear.
dont you have to take in top speed to account as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #234
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
dont you have to take in top speed to account as well?
Yes, you usually do. But the power plateau is so broad on the S55 that it is a non-issue. With the theoretical ratios I provided, you can reach 300km/h in 6th with 7th to spare...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #235
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you usually do. But the power plateau is so broad on the S55 that it is a non-issue. With the theoretical ratios I provided, you can reach 300km/h in 6th with 7th to spare...
should be good....one thing i guess that having torque down low is not having to downshift to 2nd on tracks. but i guess its even more throttle modulation or just power slides
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #236
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

My understanding:

Let's cut right to the equations here...

This is the total propulsive force accelerating a vehicle. The first term is the real basic one obvious to most, torque x combined gear ratio x combined transmission loss. The entire second term is the "inertial term", I (e,t,d,w) are moments of inertia of the engine, transmission, driveshafts and wheels. Nf is the final drive ratio, ax is the vehicle acceleration and r is the drive wheel radius. This of course is not F = ma for the entire vehicle this is just the propulsive force. This is equation 2-9b from Gillespie as referenced prior.

This entire 2nd term is most often completely ignored, even I have been guilty of this in the past.

Now let me try to show in a somewhat qualitative way how wheel inertia can affect shift point.

The first term just gives us basically an upside down "lump" shape mirroring the shape of the engines torque curve (assume plotting vs. speed). Now since we agree that ideal shifting is based on when these propulsive force curves from different gears intersect it should start to be obvious already. Imagine the effect of the second term. How can it affect shift points (as you already agree it will) but then Iw can not? This term with an Iw changed from one value to another will drop the "lump" in an rpm dependent (i.e. speed dependent) fashion because it is explicitly acceleration dependent (ax term)! It will drop the curves in each gear by a different amount (clearly from the Ntf term). Thus how could it possibly be that the curves with two different Iw's will intersect at the exact same rpm? They won't, period. Yes it is a small correction but it is a real effect. I see why you feel it is a bit counter-intuitive but that's the reason for the precision of the equations! Thus to correct your reasoning above try to forget about which terms are gear dependent and focus on how they are acceleration dependent and thus implicitly speed dependent and imagine how the intersection of the curves will be affected.

Unfortunately, CarTest does not seem to capture this subtlety and in fact neither does my huge complex spreadsheet that performs the same basic calculation. CarTest does capture the effect of wheel inertia on acceleration but does not capture its effect on shift points. It is also clearly captures the I (e, t and d) terms and of course the losses as well. My own spreadsheet uses a slightly different approach (really a "cheat" of sorts) of effective mass as outlined in Gillespie to include all inertial effects both on acceleration and on shift points. But due to the way that is implemented Iw can not be explicitly changed and see the effect directly.

Fortunately these Iw corrections are small, both on the shift points, on the overall acceleration and from any change from this interaction (changing acceleration by changed shift point(s)).

But again the total corrections are anything but small. Recall that the overall acceleration in 1st gear for a car like an M3 is about 20% lower (in 1st gear) when including the inertial term or not including it. These effects are quite substantial overall. It's like 750 lb, clearly a heck of a lot more than the component weigh! In higher gears the percent "correction" of the second term is closer to 5-10%.

Hope this helps.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #237
Kadema
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d

Where has CanAutM3's last post gone??
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #238
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This is the total propulsive force accelerating a vehicle. The first term is the real basic one obvious to most, torque x combined gear ratio x combined transmission loss. The entire second term is the "inertial term", I (e,t,d,w) are moments of inertia of the engine, transmission, driveshafts and wheels. Nf is the final drive ratio, ax is the vehicle acceleration and r is the drive wheel radius. This of course is not F = ma for the entire vehicle this is just the propulsive force. This is equation 2-9b from Gillespie as referenced prior.

This entire 2nd term is most often completely ignored, even I have been guilty of this in the past.

Now let me try to show in a somewhat qualitative way how wheel inertia can affect shift point.

The first term just gives us basically an upside down "lump" shape mirroring the shape of the engines torque curve (assume plotting vs. speed). Now since we agree that ideal shifting is based on when these propulsive force curves from different gears intersect it should start to be obvious already. Imagine the effect of the second term. How can it affect shift points (as you already agree it will) but then Iw can not? This term with an Iw changed from one value to another will drop the "lump" in an rpm dependent (i.e. speed dependent) fashion because it is explicitly acceleration dependent (ax term)! It will drop the curves in each gear by a different amount (clearly from the Ntf term). Thus how could it possibly be that the curves with two different Iw's will intersect at the exact same rpm? They won't, period. Yes it is a small correction but it is a real effect. I see why you feel it is a bit counter-intuitive but that's the reason for the precision of the equations! Thus to correct your reasoning above try to forget about which terms are gear dependent and focus on how they are acceleration dependent and thus implicitly speed dependent and imagine how the intersection of the curves will be affected.

Unfortunately, CarTest does not seem to capture this subtlety and in fact neither does my huge complex spreadsheet that performs the same basic calculation. CarTest does capture the effect of wheel inertia on acceleration but does not capture its effect on shift points. It is also clearly captures the I (e, t and d) terms and of course the losses as well. My own spreadsheet uses a slightly different approach (really a "cheat" of sorts) of effective mass as outlined in Gillespie to include all inertial effects both on acceleration and on shift points. But due to the way that is implemented Iw can not be explicitly changed and see the effect directly.

Fortunately these Iw corrections are small, both on the shift points, on the overall acceleration and from any change from this interaction (changing acceleration by changed shift point(s)).

But again the total corrections are anything but small. Recall that the overall acceleration in 1st gear for a car like an M3 is about 20% lower (in 1st gear) when including the inertial term or not including it. These effects are quite substantial overall. It's like 750 lb, clearly a heck of a lot more than the component weigh! In higher gears the percent "correction" of the second term is closer to 5-10%.

Hope this helps.
This is getting interesting. I doodled with the math and thought I had it nailed by being able to simplify the Iw term out of the shift point equations (see attached PDF).

However, acceleration is still part of the resulting simplified equation; and acceleration does vary with Iw. If it is the case, it also implies that optimal shift points will vary depending on the total mass of the car. So if you have 3 passengers, you might end up with different optimal shift points compared to when you are driving by yourself.

I still find this a bit counter intuitive and will play with the math some more. I'll post my findings ...if any

While I underestimated the impact of drivetrain inertia on optimal shift points, I still think that Cartest overestimates the impact by using the mass factor rather than the actual inertia.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Optimal Shift Point.pdf (30.1 KB, 1227 views)

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-06-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #239
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #240
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Changing wheel radius changes inertial loss in every gear. So I don't see how wheel radius affects shift point from this formula.

If you calculated F in gear 2 at an rpm in which F was higher than in gear 3 at the same velocity, it would all still be true with larger wheels. i.e. the propulsive force in a given gear would drop when increasing Iw but it would drop in all gears and by an amount which kept the optimal shift point constant.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #241
Kadema
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d

CanAutM3, I read your PDF-file and found no flaws - which doesn't mean very much of course. So, if you correctly eliminated Iw, you don't have to include it again afterwards only because acceleration is still part of the equation, do you?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #242
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadema View Post
CanAutM3, I read your PDF-file and found no flaws - which doesn't mean very much of course. So, if you correctly eliminated Iw, you don't have to include it again afterwards only because acceleration is still part of the equation, do you?
I also think the math is sound. And yes, Iw per se is simplified out of the equation.

But since vehicle acceleration is still part of the equation to be solved, it means Iw still has an impact. Albeit a very very small impact because the wheel inertia becomes burried in the overall equivalent mass of the car (equivalent mass = total mass + inertial effects).

What I did not expect, is for the mass of the car to have an impact on optimal shift points. I am not yet fully convinced of this and will try to doodle some more with the math...
Appreciate 0