R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #177
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbimmer View Post
It's going to be "lightweight", faster, and have more carbon bits (fingers crossed)..... I can get over the sound!
Exactly.. the sound is pretty mediocre.. Certainly not horrible, but sounds like crap next to a last gen european V8 (audi RS4 or e90 m3). But with the upped performance, I'll deal with it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #178
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

The new ghibli sounds pretty good and it's not even an s model?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #179
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

I like the sound and just image how it sounds whit Akrapovič and open flaps, like S54 and it sound awesome whit turbochargers.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #180
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991.1S, G05 X5 50i, LR Disco

Bunch of little girls crying about their respective barbies.

Fact is, every generation of M3 has it's own characteristics.

If you ask me what the last "pure" M3 was, I will say E46, and I used to own a E92. What do I like about the E92? I think it was the best sounding M3.

Do I like the sound in these clips, no. I prefer the E46 for a straight six and the E92 for pure sound. But to each their own. I traded my E92 in for a --gasp-- C63 because it sounds better and is a better all around drive.

I will say that I am extremely disappointed in the direction M is headed in. Instead of a motor made for each car, it is now just modifying stock BMW motors. Before all of you internet heroes jump in to correct me on the M50 block, you all know the S54, S65, S85 etc. were all M motors, amongst others. That and things like "active sound" or whatever the fark it is called.
      06-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #181
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Very agile
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #182
darkbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow m3

I am just wondering if they are going to make fake exhaust sounds tho the speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #183
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateMe View Post
Love the POP on the overrun.

I'll sure miss the S65 though...
I actually am not keen on the sound of this next gen IF this were the final result - which I doubt.

I'm hoping that this 'mule' is more about chassis / drivetrain and that the final sounds comes later.

The handling looked fine.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #184
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbmw View Post
I am just wondering if they are going to make fake exhaust sounds tho the speakers
Nooooooooo!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #185
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoZ View Post
Bunch of little girls crying about their respective barbies.
I will say that I am extremely disappointed in the direction M is headed in. Instead of a motor made for each car, it is now just modifying stock BMW motors.
Hello pot, please meet kettle...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #186
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynbimmer View Post
It's going to ... have more carbon bits
Perhaps semantics but this is exactly what I hope does not happen... Carbon fiber "bits" are typically cosmetic and are a totally non ideal use of the material. What I hope for is generic composites, carbon or not, used in applications that decrease weight or do that along with increasing performance. Some examples would be major unibody/subframe components, drive shafts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #187
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

I have hopes BMW makes this car a new benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #188
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

numbers won't lie.. at the end of the day, it'll be much faster than any other prev m3. feel and sound is something people will always grow into. haters will always hate lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #189
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hello pot, please meet kettle...
Um, there is no similarity in these arguments.

One is about the M crybabies whinging about the new generation being worse (as it has always happened) since it is different while the other comment (mine) is about the direction M is headed in on a holistic note. I.e. it is not a generational gripe.

However, I completely understand that you didn't and wanted to sound clever.
      06-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #190
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Um, there is no similarity in these arguments.

One is about the M crybabies whinging about the new generation being worse (as it has always happened) since it is different while the other comment (mine) is about the direction M is headed in on a holistic note. I.e. it is not a generational gripe.

However, I completely understand that you didn't and wanted to sound clever.
Are you serious?

You are claiming the next gen will also be "worse" in some way due to the motors becoming less special. Of course you should note that although I agree with that sentiment, it is absolutely beating a dead horse for discussion points about the F8X M3/4. I'm often the one to point out the contradictions - the cars become heavier and a bit less "pure" in every generation, perhaps more GT and less sports car, but the performance envelope is broadened in every single direction. Everyone has their reasons for complaining about change. You obviously just think you are special and a bit above the rest of us.

I'm only calling a spade a spade.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #191
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890
People always come up with increasingly asinine "proofs" that their *subjective opinion* is "correct". The more elaborate it gets, the dumber it sounds.

At the end of the day, *sound* is subjective. What this clip shows is that some people do *not* like the sound of a turbo 6, and some people do. Thats it. Nothing more. There is no "right". "Tradition" is BS. There is no "wrong". No one is "but hurt". People just like what they like.

One thing though is that this is no more "traditional" than the E92. So that is total BS. Last i checked no prior M3 was *forced induction*

The E30 was a FOUR CYLINDER normally aspirated 7000RPM redline

The E36 was a six cylinder inline normally aspirated with a 7000RPM redline

The E46 was a six cylinder inline normally aspirated with a 7900RPM redline

The E92 is a V8 normally aspirated with an 8400RPM redline

The only *universal constant* is >normally aspirated<. So anyone who wants to claim "tradition" because of a "return" to an inline 6, and at the same time claim that anyone who doesnt see that somehow doesnt "understand BMW", is being ridiculous because last i checked the M3 *started* with a 4 and *never* had a turbo.

All of that said, to me "tradition" is the *sum* of its parts. It isnt an engine, its a general guiding principal. Some of this sounds like the crap you hear in the Porsche community over the switch from air to water cooling. I am sure the M3/M4 will be a solid performer and a great addition to the family. *Personally*, I don't like the high strung forced induction sound at all, but I understand that some love it. To me this vid reminded me of my modded Evo X sound in some ways. I also dont like that the coupe has become an "M4", but thats a BMW branding decision.

Like any new addition this one will have vocal detractors that declare "BMW over" (as has happened *every* generation) and will pick up lots of new fans (and lots of once vocal, but suddenly quiet converts from the older model once they are used and cheaper )
WERD.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #192
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Sure it will run very well but dam man... Don't think I could deal with that sound, think ill just keep this e92 and drive it till wheels fall off.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #193
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you serious?

You are claiming the next gen will also be "worse" in some way due to the motors becoming less special. Of course you should note that although I agree with that sentiment, it is absolutely beating a dead horse for discussion points about the F8X M3/4. I'm often the one to point out the contradictions - the cars become heavier and a bit less "pure" in every generation, perhaps more GT and less sports car, but the performance envelope is broadened in every single direction. Everyone has their reasons for complaining about change. You obviously just think you are special and a bit above the rest of us.

I'm only calling a spade a spade.
I didn't mean to come off as arrogant.

I do agree partially, and it is beating a dead horse. I mean the overall trends of: M branding everything (although this happened in the past, M branded non M cars --if that makes sense-- seemed to be a bit more than just a bodykit and seats); the next M3 being based on the 335i it seems, of course it is all mental masturbation until we see what the car is; and, the active sound or whatever it is called.

To be more clear: //M always stood for purity of driving (hence the apparent no turbo charging mantra) and somehow this has changed and it has nothing to do with turbocharging -- that is likely the logical next step for power (unless M builds a AMGesque big bore V8 for torque and keep the car NA) and I don't care about a straight six vs. a V8, etc. I was only commenting on the sound of the motor and each M3's characteristics. I thought I made the point in my post that each generation has been different and each time --and I have seen this except from E30 to E36 as I was too young then-- the faithful have decried the new model. Perhaps keeping the weight down and throwing in a trick souped up motor will make the car more raw. I don't know. I just want something that drives more like a E46 and sounds like a E92. I am probably asking for a lot. I did like the S54 in my Z4MC a lot and still regret trading it in for the M3.

Yes, there is a general direction towards GT's, but however look at AMG and RS. AMG has gone from making GT-ish cars to trying to make purer sportyish cars (none of these are real sports cars) - same for Audi with the RS brand. The revised RS5 is brilliant, despite being a fat pig, same for the C63 AMG with the performance package (in Canada it comes with the LSD) - it could use wider tires, but otherwise it is easily a match for the M3 on the track and more fun to drive off -- like the RS. IMO.

If the new M3 is anything like the A45 or the TT-RS, I will be a big fan.
      06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #194
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just want something that drives more like a E46 and sounds like a E92.
No worries. Arrogance wasn't what I believed I was observing. Just a small bit of hypocrisy, which we're all guilty of now and again.

We can certainly agree on your second point, however, that does not really jive with the last one. BMWs and Audis (typically) remain pretty dynamically different due to RWD vs. AWD.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #195
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We can certainly agree on your second point, however, that does not really jive with the last one. BMWs and Audis (typically) remain pretty dynamically different due to RWD vs. AWD.
Fair enough, I suppose I mean a more connected, visceral, driving experience, drivetrain aside. I am speculating on the A45, but I do know how the TT-RS drives. I believed the E46 M3 and the Z4MC somewhat delivered this. I don't believe my E92 M3 --when stock-- did (although I love the S65, it is just not a good match for the rest of the car, IMO).

Anyway, let's see.

Cheers.
      06-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #196
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:

I do agree partially, and it is beating a dead horse. I mean the overall trends of: M branding everything (although this happened in the past, M branded non M cars --if that makes sense-- seemed to be a bit more than just a bodykit and seats); the next M3 being based on the 335i it seems, of course it is all mental masturbation until we see what the car is; and, the active sound or whatever it is called.

To be more clear: //M always stood for purity of driving (hence the apparent no turbo charging mantra) and somehow this has changed and it has nothing to do with turbocharging -- that is likely the logical next step for power (unless M builds a AMGesque big bore V8 for torque and keep the car NA) and I don't care about a straight six vs. a V8, etc. I was only commenting on the sound of the motor and each M3's characteristics. I thought I made the point in my post that each generation has been different and each time --and I have seen this except from E30 to E36 as I was too young then-- the faithful have decried the new model. Perhaps keeping the weight down and throwing in a trick souped up motor will make the car more raw. I don't know. I just want something that drives more like a E46 and sounds like a E92. I am probably asking for a lot. I did like the S54 in my Z4MC a lot and still regret trading it in for the M3.

Yes, there is a general direction towards GT's, but however look at AMG and RS. AMG has gone from making GT-ish cars to trying to make purer sportyish cars (none of these are real sports cars) - same for Audi with the RS brand. The revised RS5 is brilliant, despite being a fat pig, same for the C63 AMG with the performance package (in Canada it comes with the LSD) - it could use wider tires, but otherwise it is easily a match for the M3 on the track and more fun to drive off -- like the RS. IMO.

The TT-RS has a great engine but I don't like FWD biased. The RS5 is beautiful and sounds like a monster but its very numb and still understeers more then it should. Audi needs to make their cars more dynamic like the R8.

The C63 is a muscle car that handles. Love that car except for the looks.

If the new M3 adds on to the amazing E92 by making it lighter, and more powerful it will be a real winner.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #197
DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Agree on the front bias for TT-RS, however - how great does it feel to drive?

Have you driven a 2013 RS5 or based on the older one? While it is still a fat pig and understeers, it is much better than the first iteration (which I have not driven, but was universally condemned). I will argue that the E92 M3's steering is quite numb as well (at least when compared to my Z4MC), it only really comes alive on the track somewhat with the sport boosting etc.

I am really hoping weight is kept down (as promised) which with the extra torque will make it a winner.

Last edited by DiscoZ; 06-12-2013 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: word correction
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #198
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am really hoping weight is kept down (as promised) which with the extra torque will make it a winner.
As rumored. Also keep in mind that in the past BMW weight reduction efforts just mean less weight gain than if they invested more and did more design and engineering to accomplish it.
Appreciate 0