Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
pbzhb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46

10K service denial

Not sure what this means but was hoping somebody would have advice. I callled the BMW dealer close to my house for my 10l service on my 2016 M. They said because I wasn't in their " primary marketing area" I cannot bring my car there. What the hell does that mean? Anything I can do?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbzhb View Post
Not sure what this means but was hoping somebody would have advice. I callled the BMW dealer close to my house for my 10l service on my 2016 M. They said because I wasn't in their " primary marketing area" I cannot bring my car there. What the hell does that mean? Anything I can do?
Any dealer should be able to service you. I would try to talk to someone else there, then get back to us how it goes
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Call back and ask to speak with the service manager. You can service your car at any dealer in North America.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Call back and ask to speak with the service manager. You can service your car at any dealer in North America.
You can service it in any dealer WORLDWIDE. You will just have to pay for it outside of NA.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
That's a ridiculous statement from that BMW dealer. BMW NA reimburses a dealership for any work done under maintenance. There would be no reason to deny you warranty service. Schedule your service online and then take your car in. When you get there ask for the Service Manager and the GM and tell them what you were told. Did you get the person's name that you spoke with?

Appreciate 3
      03-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
You can service it in any dealer WORLDWIDE.
Actually not, as has been seen various times in these forums.

Just as USA Mercedes and Porsche Dealers refused to work on grey market cars in the 80s (and beyond), Dealers in different Countries have refuse to work on BMWs sold outside their Country.

In the last 60 days a local BMW Dealer refused to install a full leather dash brought in from Germany after BMWNA told them they would not give any help or assistance on even identifying the part for liability reasons (the airbags deployment may or may not comply with DOT regulations- but most likely had not been tested as required by US Law). As the dash essentially has to self destruct to deploy, even changing to USA 2 stage Airbags from EU 1 stage, it still does not matter as dash is part of the design.

There is also a thread either on f80 or f30 forum where earlier this year BMW Dealer on Pacific Rim Country refused to service USA BMW purchased in the last 2-3 years and imported into Country.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
pbzhb
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did get the persons name. Thank you all for the responses. I will keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Actually not, as has been seen various times in these forums.

Just as USA Mercedes and Porsche Dealers refused to work on grey market cars in the 80s (and beyond), Dealers in different Countries have refuse to work on BMWs sold outside their Country.

In the last 60 days a local BMW Dealer refused to install a full leather dash brought in from Germany after BMWNA told them they would not give any help or assistance on even identifying the part for liability reasons (the airbags deployment may or may not comply with DOT regulations- but most likely had not been tested as required by US Law). As the dash essentially has to self destruct to deploy, even changing to USA 2 stage Airbags from EU 1 stage, it still does not matter as dash is part of the design.

There is also a thread either on f80 or f30 forum where earlier this year BMW Dealer on Pacific Rim Country refused to service USA BMW purchased in the last 2-3 years and imported into Country.
Well I have lived in 7 different countries in the last 25 years and have never ever been denied service on my euro or USA spec cars.

BMW has had a Diplomatic and Military car sales program for many years, if they only serviced cars in the country you bought it in, that program wouldn't survive.

So all the people that do/did an ED can't/didn't get their 1200 mile service in Europe? Rubbish!

Last edited by AIRPOWER; 03-24-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrduder472.00
      03-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I have lived in 7 different countries in the last 25 years and have never ever been denied service on my euro or USA spec cars.
That doesn't make your earlier statement true though. Just that you've been lucky.

Same reason I cannot bring a 340D into USA and expect it to pass customs - nor can I expect a BMW Dealer to absolutely service it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
That doesn't make your earlier statement true though. Just that you've been lucky.

Same reason I cannot bring a 340D into USA and expect it to pass customs - nor can I expect a BMW Dealer to absolutely service it.
I guess I am lucky as well as the 100s of thousands fellow military members that have bought BMWs and never have experienced a problem when we move to different countries/states every 3 years and getting our cars serviced in or out of warranty.

IRT to your 340D example....thats a "gray" vehicle and is the only situation that I agree with you on.....BTW you can modify most euro spec cars to US DOT specs, in fact most 1st world euro spec cars already do meet our specs. I have done that too and got it serviced no problem.

I think there are examples for your opinion of denied service in this forum and there are my own first hand personal experiences as well as direct second hand observations from people I actually know of not denying service.

I made my statement on the above (my personal experiences as well as direct second hand observations) ....and you made yours based upon what you read.

Not saying yours is incorrect just saying it's just hearsay which in my opinion is unsubstantiated and therefore less believable.

Last edited by AIRPOWER; 03-25-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IRT to your 340D example....thats a "gray" vehicle and is the only situation that I agree with you on.....BTW you can modify most euro spec cars to US DOT specs, in fact most 1st world euro spec cars already do meet our specs. I have done that too and got it serviced no problem.

I think there are examples for your opinion of denied service in this forum and there are my own first hand personal experiences as well as direct second hand observations from people I actually know of not denying service.

I made my statement on the above (my personal experiences as well as direct second hand observations) ....and you made yours based upon what you read.

Not saying yours is incorrect just saying it's just hearsay which in my opinion is unsubstantiated and therefore less believable.
Better reread what I posted.

The EU Dash was a first hand experience 6 weeks ago, not "hearsay".

You even agree that a 340D will not be serviced by a USA Dealer.

Thus your blanket statement is incorrect, no matter how you try to spin it.

Quote:
You can service it in any dealer WORLDWIDE. You will just have to pay for it outside of NA.

Last edited by Kabrich; 03-25-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:

Just a suggestion, go to the Tire subforum and read Kabrich's numerous posts where he raves endlessly about how superior Continental tires are compared to Michelin PSS and PS4S, trashing them at every opportunity, and his incessant plugs for a Continental tire available in Europe that apparently no one else in the US can get besides him and see if you want to continue to argue with him. This seems to be his modus operandi and he's been called out on it in that thread.

And FYI, I'm not responding to any posts he makes in response to this post.

Appreciate 1
AIRPOWER1682.50
      03-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #13
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Better reread what I posted.

The EU Dash was a first hand experience 6 weeks ago, not "hearsay".

You even agree that a 340D will not be serviced by a USA Dealer.

Thus your blanket statement is incorrect, no matter how you try to spin it.
Ok you win......will you shut the fuck up now?

Appreciate 7
BMWM5NYC502.00
MasterP721.00
theriz405.50
RickFLM410988.50
      03-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #14
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Just a suggestion, go to the Tire subforum and read Kabrich's numerous posts where he raves endlessly about how superior Continental tires are compared to Michelin PSS and PS4S, trashing them at every opportunity, and his incessant plugs for a Continental tire available in Europe that apparently no one else in the US can get besides him and see if you want to continue to argue with him. This seems to be his modus operandi and he's been called out on it in that thread.

Thanks for the tip.....I see what you mean......and EVERYBODY knows Conti's are the superior tire right?

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.....I see what you mean......and EVERYBODY knows Conti's are the superior tire right?
So you are Donald Trump and believe you know more than the Military (you are in?).

Simply read every Reputable Independent Comparison from 2016 - as opposed to personal options of forum members who haven't tested both.

While reading the thread also note how I went out of my way to help forum members who couldn't get MPS4S locate and save money on them.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:03 AM   #16
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Um what? I've had my car serviced at three different dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #17
pbzhb
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I finally spoke to BMW USA and he said he has never heard of that PMA. He did say sometimes they can be busy and you have to wait for a service appointment and recommended I try calling another dealer and if that doesn't work to call back. So basically not great help. So I spoke to my friend who knew the service advisor, he got me in to the dealership and said he had no idea why that happened and apologized. So I still am not sure what the original denial was for.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Schow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 SS M3

Quote:
So I finally spoke to BMW USA and he said he has never heard of that PMA. He did say sometimes they can be busy and you have to wait for a service appointment and recommended I try calling another dealer and if that doesn't work to call back. So basically not great help. So I spoke to my friend who knew the service advisor, he got me in to the dealership and said he had no idea why that happened and apologized. So I still am not sure what the original denial was for.
May I ask which Dealer???
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

? and info

Quote:

supply us with a hyperlink please to Kabrich please. I have not read the entire post entirely if already available, let me know in this public forum. i recently got out the e46 forums but I still own an e46 M3 w/23.5 k on the clock.

I recently purchased a 2014 650i sports package w/13.5k
Space Gray
Black Interior
B&O

Its prod date is 9/2013 before BMW drop in warranty on 07/01/2014, correct me I am wrong, I have ~ 10 months of factory warranty on it, its a southern car

Would love to show how pristine the condition of this car is in but not have uploaded any pictures yes, when I do they will reside on e46fantics.com

I am keeping the e46 m3 in case this could be a troubled car (the 650i, did not entertain the 650ix, i just want a 6 which from my research is based on the 5-series but it is 2 doors, correct me if am wrong)

Cheers

P.S.

I have alzheimers but it was caught early, plauge on the brain, short term memory loss, etc, etc, etc so ignore i may go off on a tangent if needed. So I was a quicl study on the 6 w/o gettting a used M6, I love this car, the 650i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

yeah thats weird, ive gotten oil services done under warranty before out of state with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #21
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:

BMW has had a Diplomatic and Military car sales program for many years, if they only serviced cars in the country you bought it in, that program wouldn't survive.

So all the people that do/did an ED can't/didn't get their 1200 mile service in Europe? Rubbish!
You are correct. But in case you were ever curious how us stateside know you got that Military Diplomat treatment it follows that vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #22
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Same thing happened to me bc i purchased my car from another dealership. Called a dealership in NY and they asked where i bought my car then told me they were not accepting anymore cars. They said they were booked and too busy.
Appreciate 0