R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #287
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
It is indeed. They say that the Dinan can adjust the fuel and other piggybacks cannot do this? Is that in anyway true?
Not sure where you get that info from, but if it was from Dinan, that would be quite sad that they are down to VTT/Tony's level of false marketing.

Nearly all modern piggybacks adjust for fueling through fuel trims... Do you really think people can run E30-40 ethanol mix and higher boost pressure with no adjustment to fueling at all. It bothers me so much that people just turn off their brain and just believe whatever they see or hear these days...

But FYI fuel trim adjustment doesn't give complete control like a flash tune through modifying the actual fueling map and scalars.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #288
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Not sure where you get that info from, but if it was from Dinan, that would be quite sad that they are down to VTT/Tony's level of false marketing.

Nearly all modern piggybacks adjust for fueling through fuel trims... Do you really think people can run E30-40 ethanol mix and higher boost pressure with no adjustment to fueling at all. It bothers me so much that people just turn off their brain and just believe whatever they see or hear these days...

But FYI fuel trim adjustment doesn't give complete control like a flash tune through modifying the actual fueling map and scalars.
You see the question marks? And the fact I was asking if it was true? It bothers me when people are bothered by things that are not true.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #289
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Don't get all the Dinan hate and calling them a "joke". These "jokers" found a MISTAKE on the air intake on the E60 M5, which BMW subsequently corrected on the M3. Also, they're "jokers" enough to build race engines for Ferraris (not a well known fact) in addition to BMWs as previously mentioned. I also guess having an actual engine dyno room and simulated wind tunnel chassis dyno are clowns tools too. Maybe the consumer division is the B team and the racing division is the A team...I guess that's plausible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #290
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Don't get all the Dinan hate and calling them a "joke". These "jokers" found a MISTAKE on the air intake on the E60 M5, which BMW subsequently corrected on the M3. Also, they're "jokers" enough to build race engines for Ferraris (not a well known fact) in addition to BMWs as previously mentioned. I also guess having an actual engine dyno room and simulated wind tunnel chassis dyno are clowns tools too. Maybe the consumer division is the B team and the racing division is the A team...I guess that's plausible.
It's really something when people bash Dinan for not giving the most horse power or some and bs like that. They have good solution with reasonable gains that are covered under warranty. Kids today....
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #291
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIVISION View Post
It's really something when people bash Dinan for not giving the most horse power or some and bs like that. They have good solution with reasonable gains that are covered under warranty. Kids today....
I agree. If (when) I start jonesing for more power in my F82, I will take it to the BMW dealership and have them put a Dinan tune on it. I won't even consider anything else.

Also, I'm interested in Dinan's solution for lowering the car a bit on adaptive suspension.
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #292
xnu
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
$2,500 for < 50hp is not reasonable. Its exploiting brand-whoring BMW owners who in reality know very little about cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #293
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Dinan mentioned that their exhaust is due in <30 days and intake is due in the next 60-90 days, so I'd imagine that the Dinantronics Stage 2 tune ($250 upgrade if you already have Stage 1) isn't too far behind.
      03-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #294
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnu View Post
$2,500 for < 50hp is not reasonable. Its exploiting brand-whoring BMW owners who in reality know very little about cars.
Wow, that's fiery...

You buy the one you want, I'll buy the one I want. Cool?
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
      03-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #295
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
Wow, that's fiery...

You buy the one you want, I'll buy the one I want. Cool?
+1.

03-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #296
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
Wow, that's fiery...
Yeah, seriously, dude, are you mental? No one is buying the Dinan for just the < 50 whp gain; they are paying $2.5k for the whp gain AND for the peace of mind that comes with the warranty.

While it is not my choice, I am not enough of an idiot to not be able to see that. Obviously, you are. Or you are trolling.
      03-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #297
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
+1.

"Boom"...

Too funny! haha!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:55 AM   #298
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Yeah, seriously, dude, are you mental? No one is buying the Dinan for just the < 50 whp gain; they are paying $2.5k for the whp gain AND for the peace of mind that comes with the warranty.

While it is not my choice, I am not enough of an idiot to not be able to see that. Obviously, you are. Or you are trolling.
Exactly, I just want a little extra, that's reliable and doesn't ruin longevity in engine components or fuel and exhaust systems. I don't want a 900hp monster to do time attack in. Those were the Honda Civic days, this is grown folk business. I just sold my Evo for this same dumb reason, why upgrade half the the stock system to tax the efficient range of an engine to get 7000hp, I just went and bought the M3 with the wheel hp of what I would have wanted at the crank in my Evo.
I need shit thats dependable and drivable every day, that is still supported by a warranty and manufacturer friendly....oh look it here, Dinan does it.

If you want 900 more whp, go ahead upgrade this and that, and change this and that....enjoy your frankenstein.....and let me enjoy my measly 30 extra factory warrantied $2.5k horses.
Appreciate 1
Mthrice106.00
      03-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #299
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
+1.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #300
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
and let me enjoy my measly 30 extra factory warrantied $2.5k horses.
As long as you understand anything catastrophic that happens is not required to be covered by the factory warranty after getting the tune, then it's all good.

Combined with the fact the chances of anything catastrophic happening in the first place with such a mild tune (Dinan or otherwise) are nearly microscopic, the majority of people see the Dinan tune as a waste of money at 5x the price of other options.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #301
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I haven't chosen dinan but just to set some folks who clearly have never dealt with a bmw dealer who also sold dinan, because I've had two experiences and one current local dealer still deals. if a bmw dealer sells it, they have always backed up and done warranty work with no questions asked and it's never a problem. If it was a huge loss of an engine than that dealer will work with dinan and get it covered and your car will be treated as if under bmw warranty in terms of dealer helping.

What I thi k is stupid is to buy dinan from an independent non bmw dealer as you lose the integration of warrant and help through tge process. If tge dealer pushes dinan sales they have always stepped up and treated warranty issues with no prob.

Once dinan stage 2 is out or I see more rezults,I may switch as support for my current tune is not great and I do like the comfort of some support
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #302
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
I haven't chosen dinan but just to set some folks who clearly have never dealt with a bmw dealer who also sold dinan, because I've had two experiences and one current local dealer still deals. if a bmw dealer sells it, they have always backed up and done warranty work with no questions asked and it's never a problem. If it was a huge loss of an engine than that dealer will work with dinan and get it covered and your car will be treated as if under bmw warranty in terms of dealer helping.

What I thi k is stupid is to buy dinan from an independent non bmw dealer as you lose the integration of warrant and help through tge process. If tge dealer pushes dinan sales they have always stepped up and treated warranty issues with no prob.

Once dinan stage 2 is out or I see more rezults,I may switch as support for my current tune is not great and I do like the comfort of some support
Well said! I'm admittedly biased towards Dinan because of the warranty, but I try to get everything I can performed at my dealer. This just makes things easier should there be an issue in the future. "Hey, you installed the thing!" I'm certain I pay a premium on the installation costs of such items; but, it's worth the piece of mind, IMO.
      03-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #303
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
As long as you understand anything catastrophic that happens is not required to be covered by the factory warranty after getting the tune, then it's all good.

Combined with the fact the chances of anything catastrophic happening in the first place with such a mild tune (Dinan or otherwise) are nearly microscopic, the majority of people see the Dinan tune as a waste of money at 5x the price of other options.
Something catastrophic doesn't need to happen to the engine to be denied a warranty claim because of a tune. If you have any engine-related issues you can be denied warranty coverage. A out of pocket cost for an unwarrantied, non-catastrophic issue can easily exceed the premium paid for a dinan tune.

This warranty talk isn't only about these motors fully blowing up. The cost of "minor" stuff like fuel injector work can easily creep into four figures.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #304
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Something catastrophic doesn't need to happen to the engine to be denied a warranty claim because of a tune. If you have any engine-related issues you can be denied warranty coverage. A out of pocket cost for an unwarrantied, non-catastrophic issue can easily exceed the premium paid for a dinan tune.

This warranty talk isn't only about these motors fully blowing up. The cost of "minor" stuff like fuel injector work can easily creep into four figures.
There is always someone faster. Just enjoy the car the way it is
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #305
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Anyone with a hard review of this yet?
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #306
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
There is always someone faster. Just enjoy the car the way it is
No.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #307
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Product Description

Stage 1 (DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner ONLY) Maximum Power: 516 HP, 489 lb-ft of torque.

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is a highly engineered and sophisticated piece of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance, without negating or voiding your new car warranty coverage and without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems. It was also designed to be emissions legal in 50 states (E.O. Pending). The ultimate objective of developing this piece of technology was to provide the ability to control every signal entering and exiting the BMW factory Engine Control Unit. These items are unique to Dinan and together they embody the apex of performance engineering in a powerful, reliable, and warrantied package.

The Dinan Difference

The biggest benefit of the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is our ECU has the

"capability of setting an optimum target lambda (fuel mixture) as well as correcting short term trim which is the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture. By matching these two correctly we can reduce knock sensor activity which will make smoother performance, protect the catalyst, increase power and allow us to make it emissions legal."- Steve Dinan

The Dinan Difference is possible by employing a full staff of talented engineers that are well rounded in all aspects of their job. Manipulating these signals with an adept hand all the while keeping an engine running at its best and with the most reliable power is what Dinan is all about.

Well Engineered

Plug-in tuning devices all have one thing in common, they send a modified signal to the factory ECU, telling it the boost pressure is below target values. This then causes the factory ECU to raise the boost pressure to what it thinks is the correct value. This modified boost pressure signal causes errors in fuel mixture and ignition timing. These errors can cause the on-board diagnostics systems to set faults, but they can also cause exceedingly high catalyst temperatures and a loss of power. In addition, when power is increased, exhaust gas temperature will increase as well and this must be countered with a slightly richer air/fuel mixture. The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner uniquely has the capability to adjust target Lambda, correct short term trim as well as ignition timing errors induced by raising boost pressure. This enables Dinan calibration engineers to optimize air/fuel mixture and ignition timing at elevated boost pressure throughout the entire gamut of engine RPM and engine load. Additionally, the ability to correct short term trim corrections (the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture) remain within OEM specifications. This minimizes knock sensor activity, which in turn means smooth engine performance, catalyst protection and power increase, while this is also required to make the car emissions legal. Dinan engineers have worked for two years on the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner in efforts to provide BMW enthusiasts with Performance without Sacrifice.

State-of-the-Art Hardware

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is engineered using the best possible components and advanced hardware. The most obvious and visible component is the elaborate wiring harness. Using OE connectors and an expandable braided wiring sleeves ensures that all visible components appear as if they come straight from the factory. More importantly however it guarantees long lasting and dependable performance due to the use of high heat, moisture and abrasion resistant materials and design. The other hardware element involved is the Dinan electronic control unit (ECU) itself. While its outward appearance may seem tame, the processing power and sophistication held within its internal circuitry is anything but. Capable of delivering signals to various systems at an astonishing 4000 times per second the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner yields the power to control all current signals delivered to the ECU as well as those developed in the future without a hiccup in performance or reliability. This immense processing power equates to a high degree of engine control resulting in a much lower likelihood of setting a fault. In addition smoother running conditions and superior drivability are achieved, all of which are Dinan hallmarks.

Unmatched Warranty

Dinan's comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1997, provides superior warranty coverage to that which you would find elsewhere. If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty. The manufacturer's new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage.

Designed to be Emissions Legal

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was designed and built to be the only tuning box on the market that is emissions legal in all 50 states. At the moment this product is emissions legal in most states the product is in compliance with US Federal EPA Memorandum 1A, or this product has not been found, nor is believed to be, unlawful for use under the provisions of the Clean Air Act. Currently this product is not legal for sale or use in California, and states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles. We are however in the E.O. process with the ARB and are confident that the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner will be emissions legal in all states in the near future.

Drivability

There is more to a tune than just cranking up the boost. Power needs to come on smoothly and in a predictable way to make the car as fun to drive at wide open throttle as cruising around town. It is your BMW, but reborn with new found acceleration and speed.

Installation

Plug-and-Play installation in two hours or less at any of the 180+ Dinan Dealers. While firmware is loaded directly on the ECU the model specific software will need to be downloaded into the ECU by an authorized Dinan dealer after installation. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer or contact Dinan to make an appointment.

Easy To Use

Dinan's ECU is Bluetooth Smart meaning that you can change maps simply via a Bluetooth connection. Just install and you are done!

Designed for the Future

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was engineered with future expansion of functionality in mind. Boasting the most powerful processing power on the market the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner can handle more functions and processes than any of its contemporaries. To that end the Dinan performance tuner is capable of interfacing with the CAN and FlexRay communication systems which allow for controlling powertrain functions, among others. This means that when new functions are developed there will be no need for a new box, just a short software update at your local Dinan dealer.

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Dinan guarantees you will be impressed by the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner and the performance it provides that we offer a 3-Day return policy. If you aren't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brings to the table within 3 days of install you can go back to your dealer for a full refund (installation labor costs still apply).

Product Specifications

Labor Hours/Installation Hours

Emission Status
Emissions Legal in most states -- This product in compliance with U.S. Federal EPA Memorandum 1A, or this product has not been found, nor is believed to be, unlawful for use under the provisions of the Clean Air Act. Currently: This product is not legal for sale or use in California, and states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles.

Peak Horsepower

Peak Torque

Factory Stock HP Rating

Factory Stock Torque Rating

Included Notes
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner, Dinan wiring harness, Dinan Stage 1 software

With the launch of Stage One, our next step is Stage Two that includes our Cold Air Intake and Free Flow Exhaust. Both parts are prototype form, but we figured we'd share what we've gathered so far by adding more airflow.

Stage One

Stage Two (Beta)

Here's a shot of our Sakhir Orange M4. We can't wait to get more product out for this thing!

When is stage 2 coming out?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #308
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
When is stage 2 coming out?
Working on the intake now. As soon as its done stage 2 will be coming with it. May is my tentative guess at this point but take that with a grain of salt. We have quite a few M3/M4 pieces due to be released here shortly so stay tuned.
Appreciate 0