R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #45
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Its a tough choice that you are in as you know I was in same situation. Comparing the two is hard. The ESS SC M3 is amazing, pretty hard to beat that car it clicks all the boxes IMO. From a performance/feel prospective only:

Its tough to describe but the M4 feels faster DD due to the torque obv but it def lacks when your in the higher RPMs. I notice a huge difference even with the tune when I am on the hwy and accelerate or go to pass. The SC M3 has no hesitation and it just takes off like a rocket and never stops pulling. Also with the NA motor there is no delay where with the M4 although super minimal there is a delay on the power delivery which takes a little to get use to due to turbos.

Its a tough pick for you to be honest. If you go with the new M4 however you wont be disappointed the car is a lot more fun to DD and the overall interior and exterior are leaps and bounds nicer then e9xM but no it wont hang with the SC M3 in the sound department or the drag strip unless you mod/tune it pretty heavy and even then I am not sure how it would fair with a 650 kit since I have not seen that match up yet?

its nice bc your in a good position to be blessed enough to go either way! GL with your choice! Def go drive a M4 if you can that way you can see exactly for yourself
Thanks for your awesome input much appreciated! If I do decide to trade up to the M4 it won't be for a couple years anyway when the competition pack is released. And by then a tuner will probably be able to offer a turbo upgrade that can match or exceed a VT2-650. When that day happens it will seal the fate of my E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #46
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
Thanks for your awesome input much appreciated! If I do decide to trade up to the M4 it won't be for a couple years anyway when the competition pack is released. And by then a tuner will probably be able to offer a turbo upgrade that can match or exceed a VT2-650. When that day happens it will seal the fate of my E92 M3
in the meantime enjoy your beast buddy! Like I said either way you go its a win win

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #47
JDUni1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post
I think the JB4 can remove the CEL from the DP's because it taps the CAN wires. I don't think this tune does that.
OK I spoke wit Roman and the ESS set up can not get rid of the Cell bc you need to "cut" into the can bus wiring in order to do that and the ESS tune doesn't do any of that.

I am going to look into Awron a little today when I have time and see what sort of options that gives. I know you can control the valves of the exhaust with Awron which is pretty slick
Do the AWRON! It's awesome, really looking to the new features Tom at EAS has been testing!
2015 Alpine White ///M3 | Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Merino Leather | 6MT | Lighting Package | Harmon Kardon | H&R Sport Springs (F32) | iND Cosmetic Treatment | M Performance Spoiler | 19" HRE 301M Frozen Red| Mode Carbon Trophy R1 Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #48
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Great review. I had an ESS 585 kit on my E92 along with their DCT software. Quality products and great support if needed from Roman and AJ. Good guys too!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #49
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUni1 View Post
Do the AWRON! It's awesome, really looking to the new features Tom at EAS has been testing!
might have to! need to look into it some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Great review. I had an ESS 585 kit on my E92 along with their DCT software. Quality products and great support if needed from Roman and AJ. Good guys too!

no doubt, ESS = great service and great products

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
teamwerx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

In a non bias way product only - whats the advantage of the ess piggyback over the jb4 stage 1?

For the price?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #51
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post
In a non bias way product only - whats the advantage of the ess piggyback over the jb4 stage 1?

For the price?
everyone will want different things in a piggy and we are lucky to have some great options to choose from. If you read through my review you will see why I personally chose ESS

No need to start a tune war on which one is better bc there is no clear cut answer to that. Best thing to do is research both and layout pros and cons for your particular situation and then come to a conclusion which one would be best for you.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #52
XPNY
M4 Redliner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Silverstone/SO

Hey. Great review. I'm just a little curious. Do you feel the nite/day difference in all driving modes or is it only in Sport +. I do understand that the power gains are in the top end. Is there any difference at all in the bottom end? Also, is there anything that can be done about the top speed Limiter? mine doesn't seem to go above 176. thanx
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #53
XPNY
M4 Redliner
United_States
Rep

Hey.... Quick question. Not sure why but I didn't have a CEL when I installed my exhaust with Dps. Jus wanted to know if anybody knows why and if that's normal. I have the GT Haus GTC system on my car and I absolutely love it. anybody?
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #54
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPNY View Post
Hey. Great review. I'm just a little curious. Do you feel the nite/day difference in all driving modes or is it only in Sport +. I do understand that the power gains are in the top end. Is there any difference at all in the bottom end? Also, is there anything that can be done about the top speed Limiter? mine doesn't seem to go above 176. thanx
The power gains are across the board in both torque and HP. The gains are def noticeable IMO in all driving modes. The car runs very smooth as if it were stock you just have that extra power throughout the rev range.

As far as the speed limit I believe you can get that coded off if you wanted but I am not sure. If your going to 176 be careful! Thats pretty fast not sure I would want to go any faster if at all possible with this car, shoot I get worried going 80! I am not a expert on the limits of piggy vs ECU tuning so a lot of these question would be best asked to Roman@ESS or any of the tuning community

Quote:
Hey.... Quick question. Not sure why but I didn't have a CEL when I installed my exhaust with Dps. Jus wanted to know if anybody knows why and if that's normal. I have the GT Haus GTC system on my car and I absolutely love it. anybody?
How many miles have you driven the car? It may have not triggered yet? Are you sure they installed downpipes (didn't know GT Haus had DPs?)

how does your full system sound? is it super loud!? Do you have jb4 tune installed, if so that erases the Cel

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #55
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Hey @GOLFFRR

Any updates on the dyno sheet.... your killin me here
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #56
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Hey @GOLFFRR

Sorry about that, been a busy couple of days here. Here's video of GOLFFRR's dyno run and exhaust runout to get a general idea of Eisenmann's exhaust note:

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #57
Dieselmd
Private
Rep
Drives: MW SO M4 DCT. EB M235i

Sounds real good!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #58
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sorry about that, been a busy couple of days here. Here's video of GOLFFRR's dyno run and exhaust runout to get a general idea of Eisenmann's exhaust note:

Thanks Tom!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #59
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Hey @GOLFFRR

Sorry I was golfing all day just got back. looks like Tom posted it up for us Also keep in mind the tune takes some time to adapt and that was first run after installing it so it could be a touch better once it settles in I would think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmd View Post
Sounds real good!!
Love the sound!! ITs getting better everyday as the system is getting broken in

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #60
XPNY
M4 Redliner
United_States
Rep

Yeah they offer the Dps. Trying to figure out why I haven't gotten a CEL. love the sound. Loud but not annoying. Tons of compliments on a daily. I haven't done a tune yet. I've been waiting to hear some reviews. I think I'm leaning towards ESS Though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #61
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Yeah they offer the Dps. Trying to figure out why I haven't gotten a CEL. love the sound. Loud but not annoying. Tons of compliments on a daily. I haven't done a tune yet. I've been waiting to hear some reviews. I think I'm leaning towards ESS Though.
You should post up a new thread with vids and a review. I would love to hear it!

I can tell you I am very impressed with the ESS tune they never let me down always come with great products with safe results

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #62
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey @GOLFFRR

Sorry I was golfing all day just got back. looks like Tom posted it up for us Also keep in mind the tune takes some time to adapt and that was first run after installing it so it could be a touch better once it settles in I would think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmd View Post
Sounds real good!!
Love the sound!! ITs getting better everyday as the system is getting broken in
I thought there was debate on weather the car adapted or not. One camp believes it's plugged in and done you get what you get and another that thought it needed time to adapt.

Anyone know for sure and have data or theory to support this? I am a bit of a skeptic so don't shoot.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #63
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
I thought there was debate on weather the car adapted or not. One camp believes it's plugged in and done you get what you get and another that thought it needed time to adapt.

Anyone know for sure and have data or theory to support this? I am a bit of a skeptic so don't shoot.
Roman@ESS stated to me it takes 40-50 miles to adapt So I will go with his word on this. Either way it feels FAST

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #64
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

It will need some miles driven with the new hardware. GOLFFRR's M4 was still strapped to the dyno when the E-Tronic was installed and had no miles, I'm sure there is a bit more power to be had and some smoothing of the curves.

Keep in mind CA is also limited to 91 so guys on the east coast are lucky on this area. Octane is everything.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #65
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Roman@ESS stated to me it takes 40-50 miles to adapt So I will go with his word on this. Either way it feels FAST
I trust that. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #66
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Quote:

It will need some miles driven with the new hardware. GOLFFRR's M4 was still trapped to the dyno when the E-Tronic was installed, I'm sure there is a bit more hp to be had and some smoothing of the curves.

Keep in mind CA is also limited to 91. Octane is everything on this platform.
Good info. Thanks. I have access to 100 octane here at a local gas station. Sounds like that would be a good thing.
Appreciate 0