Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #89
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merli View Post
Pretty sure that's normal procedure for every single F8X owner...

I'm sure my neighbours absolutely hate me now, and I'm so embarassed starting my car in car parks if I've been there for a while.

I have been starting my car and rolling out right away for years, (I think I'm up to 6 M cars now?) but you would be surprised how many people still let their cars sit and idle and warm up. I would be willing to bet more then half still do. If I were to do that you prob would have not heard about me bc my neighbor would have killed me a long time ago haha. So far the start and drive out procedure although loud has seemed to work over the years. No complaints so far other then from my wife since our room is above the garage area haha

I totally know what you mean about starting in car parks HOLY CRAP its loud in there. I am hoping that even with the DPs installed my immediate start up and roll out procedure will yield basically the same volume as my current set up however I could be totally wrong. thats why I plan on driving toms car during his cold start process to find out before I install

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #90
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
I hear the catted down pipes are shipping next week from ER. Wait for those bud. catless is too much noise
I was talking to Tom and he was stating the catted dps wont sound any different then the stock and that it basically is a stock dp? So with that said I think its a matter of leave it stock or get catless DPs. My game plan is I am getting the awron installed regardless. I am going to listen to toms car and drive it and then make my decision then. I don't mind it being a little louder when driving but the cold start needs to be within reason. If the cold start is crazy crazy loud then ill have to pass. I usually open my garage start the car and leave right away. So the cold start cycle is only for a second or two and lowers dramatically when you put it in gear. With that said whats your experience on that process volume wise?
Buddy start up was great! I'm really eager to hear your opinion of the Awron with valves closed on toms car. If it sounds vaguely civilised (routing the exhaust through the rear silencer) then I'll wait for Awron to arrive and re fit the catless DPs.

Btw I can't imagine how the sound will be the same when comparing 600cpi cats with 200s but hey maybe Toms ears are desensitised with that animal he is driving lol
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #91
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Buddy start up was great! I'm really eager to hear your opinion of the Awron with valves closed on toms car. If it sounds vaguely civilised (routing the exhaust through the rear silencer) then I'll wait for Awron to arrive and re fit the catless DPs.

Btw I can't imagine how the sound will be the same when comparing 600cpi cats with 200s but hey maybe Toms ears are desensitised with that animal he is driving lol
haha there very well could be some skewed hearing going on there! But Either way I def will let you know whatever way I end up going. I have a feeling I will get them love them but feel so bad about morning start ups that ill take them off. But hey its part of the fun of modding right!!

If it doesn't work out ill wait till you get your catted DPs and I can always buy those also!

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #92
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:

Are the stockers 600 cells? For some reason I thought they would be 400 cells? Either way, 200 cells on catted high flow downpipes would be a significant improvement to flow, while still retaining some emissions control, sound control, and probably not throwing a code.
      01-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #93
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Are the stockers 600 cells? For some reason I thought they would be 400 cells? Either way, 200 cells on catted high flow downpipes would be a significant improvement to flow, while still retaining some emissions control, sound control, and probably not throwing a code.
Yup thats what I feel also. My Akra Evo is plenty loud enough. Slightly louder (like 5% will be perfect while increasing hp

This from ER themselves

Hi Andrew

We will be making a high flow metallic catted version in January. I can keep you updated on the progress of this if you’d like.

The high flow metallic catted version will be just slightly louder than the factory downpipe an considerably quieter than our catless downpipes. I think this would be the ideal sound for you if you are looking for it to just be a little bid louder than factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #94
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I have been starting my car and rolling out right away for years, (I think I'm up to 6 M cars now?) but you would be surprised how many people still let their cars sit and idle and warm up. I would be willing to bet more then half still do. If I were to do that you prob would have not heard about me bc my neighbor would have killed me a long time ago haha. So far the start and drive out procedure although loud has seemed to work over the years. No complaints so far other then from my wife since our room is above the garage area haha

I totally know what you mean about starting in car parks HOLY CRAP its loud in there. I am hoping that even with the DPs installed my immediate start up and roll out procedure will yield basically the same volume as my current set up however I could be totally wrong. thats why I plan on driving toms car during his cold start process to find out before I install
With my E92, I used to let the car complete its cold start sequence before driving off simply because the driveability (especially with DCT) was aweful during the cold start.

The good thing with the F8X is that this is no longer an issue. I can sart-up and immediately drive off .
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #95
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
With my E92, I used to let the car complete its cold start sequence before driving off simply because the driveability (especially with DCT) was aweful during the cold start.

The good thing with the F8X is that this is no longer an issue. I can sart-up and immediately drive off .
I agree with you here. If your trying to back out of a garage in a controled manor it can be tricky. As soon as you tap the gas it goes then you get on the brake to slow and it wants to stop, kinda jerky until you get it figured out. Waiting for the idle to drop down yields a much better result.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #96
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^I always back into my garage and parking spaced. Old habit from when I worked in Valet way back in the day. Just drive right out no hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

90% of the time with my e92Ms I would just start and drive off. When I was somewhere other then my garage then of course I would let that baby sing its heart out . Especially loved doing it at the club, I'm sure it was heard throughout the clubhouse and a few holes

ps when are you changing your avatar pic? Time to let the e92 go man!

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #97
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Yup thats what I feel also. My Akra Evo is plenty loud enough. Slightly louder (like 5% will be perfect while increasing hp

This from ER themselves

Hi Andrew

We will be making a high flow metallic catted version in January. I can keep you updated on the progress of this if you’d like.

The high flow metallic catted version will be just slightly louder than the factory downpipe an considerably quieter than our catless downpipes. I think this would be the ideal sound for you if you are looking for it to just be a little bid louder than factory.
I just worry about the phrase "slightly" could be a little skewed. But either way ill wait till you get them or if they pop up here ill see what I can do. I just would hate to spend money/time just to find out its basically same sound level as stock.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #98
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

I wonder how much of a run the Burger Stage-1 unit will give ESS, especially at $379...
      01-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #99
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin View Post
I wonder how much of a run the Burger Stage-1 unit will give ESS, especially at $379...
Not sure, good question. Maybe someone will do a "vs" one of these days.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #100
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Quote:
It looks like they'd perform similarly...

I wonder more so if there's a difference in R&D, or testing, or something. I'm always suspicious when one is so much cheaper than the other.

Regardless, I ordered the BMS.

Last edited by smedin; 01-14-2015 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #101
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin View Post
It looks like they'd perform similarly...

I wonder more so if there's a difference in R&D, or testing, or something. I'm always suspicious when one is so much cheaper than the other.

Regardless, I ordered the BMS.
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new set up mate.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #102
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Golffrr, I think you basically said this in post #11, but to be clear, is this a non-CAN bus tune? I thought maybe it tapped into the CAN without cutting wires somehow?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #103
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Golffrr, I think you basically said this in post #11, but to be clear, is this a non-CAN bus tune? I thought maybe it tapped into the CAN without cutting wires somehow?
I believe so. there def is NO CUTTING from what I understood. Just a basic plug and play!

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #104
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
I believe so. there def is NO CUTTING from what I understood. Just a basic plug and play!
Correct there is no cutting into CAN BUS with our system. Our controller can access RPM, MAF, Boost and Map data without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #105
GOLFFRR
Rep

Thanks Roman!

Still loving this piggy

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #106
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Hi Roman

Any plans for a firmware update to get more hp? Maybe more in line with the recent release of other tunes like Active Autowerkes?

Thanks.
      01-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #107
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
Hi Roman

Any plans for a firmware update to get more hp? Maybe more in line with the recent release of other tunes like Active Autowerkes?

Thanks.
We are pretty happy with the current power levels on our tuner. We have 3 maps currently that range from linear power delivery to full power which provides a lot of mid range power and good amount of top end over stock. The issue with piggybacks is that when you push really hard with them you will get limp modes and other issues so for us we have no desire to have a product that looks good on a dyno but causes driveability issues for customers.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #108
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We are pretty happy with the current power levels on our tuner. We have 3 maps currently that range from linear power delivery to full power which provides a lot of mid range power and good amount of top end over stock. The issue with piggybacks is that when you push really hard with them you will get limp modes and other issues so for us we have no desire to have a product that looks good on a dyno but causes driveability issues for customers.
+1
one of the main reasons I chose ESS was bc it was not pushing the limits. I have been more then satisfied with the power!

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #109
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
In the works, possibly this week.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #110
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
In the works, possibly this week.
sweet!

Appreciate 0