Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #1
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Hi all,

Inspired by RowanBuds I decided to create one of these myself about my upcoming European Delivery experience. So, this is a tease, and a work in progress of course. I'm starting this thread so that I can keep it updated with my relevant dates/information as it comes to me. Given that I was researching like mad, I am going to try to keep everything centralized to help that poor guy down the road who decides to jump into this journey. Appreciate your patience with me - ED was requested for 12/2017 originally. Due to changes in our personal situation (and a lack of want to rent winter tires) we changed our date to 10/2017.

EDIT: This originally started as an Individual order. But as you can see below we had a hiccup and had to change to a standard color. No biggie, we can always do and individual color on my car since this will be my wife's.

06/04/17: On the way home from the movies, my wife and I get this crazy idea that we should ED
06/10/17: Meet with a CA referred to us by a forum member. Begin almost 12 day process of trying to pick a damn color. Wife then sees Atlantis Blue Metallic, falls in love, decides she must have it.
06/12/17: Attempt to put in order with dealer but ran into issue.
06/22/17: Old contact at the high volume dealer reaches out and says they have an allocation. Leave work early because can't contain excitement. Dealer shows me ordering system, we choose our options. Get allocation and production number. Put down deposit. Get my vehicle inquiry report with Black Sapphire Metallic as a holding color until Individual Color gets approved. Status 111, week 30 build for now. Dealer submits scan of preferred delivery date and will send out request for individual color approval once ED date request in 12/2017 confirmed.
06/27/17: BMW tells dealer that individual color request needs to be submitted first in order approve the ED date being so far out. Dealer sends request for Atlantis Blue Metallic Individual Color.
07/05/17: Car, originally scheduled for week 30, went into production early. Called dealer, he anticipated this and already had another production number with the special request submitted as a back up.
07/07/17: Dealer sends us updated VIR. Updated VIR shows status 102 - special request order rec. under "Sub. Notes" it shows "490 - ATLANTIS BLUE METALLIC $4735 W / $5200 R - MCM". MSRP for color shows "BLOCKED" - (from my understanding it will stay this way and wont show color until it goes to 150). Waiting to hear back on final approval and ED Date. Current build week is now week 35.
07/13/17: Unexpected change of plans means we can actually do ED earlier and not have to do winter tires. Contact dealer and ask him to put in new ED date of October 9. Lets hope we get it!
07/14/17: Thought we got the color accepted by AG but false alarm. Apparently its not yet accepted and is still at 102. Called the BMW ED Department today after two BMW Genius and then my dealer told me it was still at 102 for some reason. The lady (really nice) said that it I may have been told that it was accepted by accident (or misunderstanding) and that it is still at 102 (dope! jumped the gun guys sorry). She said she had my paperwork in front of her and that it could have been because we changed the ED date, but that it was unlikely. However, she did say that given when my order was submitted to AG, that I should know within the next week or so about my color being accepted by AG. She said they cannot confirm the ED date on the car until the car moves back to status 111. Then they can assign me the ED Date very shortly thereafter. Will keep this updated. In sum, back to 102.
07/24/17: European Delivery welcome packet came in the mail today. Federal Express 2 day shipping. Weird that it came before color and ED date approved but maybe it it's normal.
08/01/2017: At just close to four weeks since we put in our request for Atlantis Blue Metallic we find out from the factory that we will not be able to meet our requested ED date (10/9). Since we got round trip flights on American Airlines (with upgraded legroom) for $890 from LAX for our desired date and because we did not want to have to deal with winter tires and really could not do ED any time until the Spring (and do not want to wait), we decided to save some money and not do the individual color this time around and change to a standard color. New color requested is Yas Marina Blue (wife's second favorite choice). The ladies at BMW ED and BMW NA Individual are handling the change over and we should have our ED date confirmed tomorrow for a morning pickup on the 9th of October. Current game plan is Munich -> Berchtesgaden (as a home base to explore Salzburg and the Alps) -> Rothenburg ob der Tauber -> Lucerne -> Zurich (fly home).
08/03/2017: Had the opportunity to speak with the individual in charge of VIP Individual Ordering today for BMW NA. She let me know that they have begun the process to change over our special order to the YMB color. However, she did let me know that for the last week or so they have been having an issue with the system in that it will not update or change status for certain people with individual orders. She stated that they currently have IT Support working on the issue (they believe it is a software glitch) and should have it resolved tomorrow. She stated that my order was not the only one with issues. If there is anyone else out there who has a problem with their individual order, or hearing back about approval, it could be because of this.
08/08/2017: Finally got confirmation that status went to 111 and then finally changed to "112 - Scheduled for daily production pack" today, scheduled for production. Week 35 is the confirmed production week. Our 10/9 date has been reserved for ED according to BMW ED Department, now they are just waiting to hear back from the Welt re pick up time before sending us the final confirmation. Long road to here, have less hair on my head now. On the bright side, BMW customer service has been superb.
08/09/2017: Received email that our ED date is confirmed for October 9, 2017. We have a 9:20am pick up time. Also made reservation for the factory tour that day at 11:45am and made our reservation for the airport pickup. The reservation form has a 7 series picking us up. Asked dealer to go ahead and lock in our rates this month and inquired about the purchase order and passport copies deadline. Status still 112.
08/10/2017: Car went into production today! Status: 150 - Production Started. Looking forward to tracking it along the way. Got the VIN but car does not show up online yet.
08/12/2017: Car finally shows on MyBMW in my account. Still shows as "BMW 0" and that it began production but color and interior is right. NOTE: for those who have not done this before, when you add your vin it will then asks you if you are the owner or not (select the appropriate action), then it asks you the day you purchased it (i haven't yet as its an ED, so I put in my production date) and how many miles (I put 0). Once those are answered it will show up on your account.
08/15/2017: Dealer called and asked for our passports, driver's licenses, and asked us to come in and sign the purchase order to submit them to the ED department. We went in and signed the purchase order and the accompanying paperwork. Our signature needs to match exactly to the signature in our passport for the documents. The accompanying paperwork includes some German pick up stuff etc. We also were able to put our drop off location (Zurich) on the purchase order to let them know ahead of time. Our updated VIR now reflects our collection day and time for 10/9 at 9:20am. Our MyBMW page still has not updated. Car still in at status 150.
08/17/2017: Received the official confirmation email from the ED Department Supervisor that you get after submitting your purchase order. It confirms my car, date, check in time, pick up time, and NLT drop off date. It also includes a FAQ section which is really helpful. Note: The confirmation email was in my junk email box. Make sure you are checking your junk mailbox once and a while or just add the BMW ED Dept's email to your contacts.
08/28/2017: Car just entered the body shop. Status 151.
08/29/2017: Car entered paint shop. Status 152.
08/30/2017: Car moved on from paint shop. 153 Assembly Started. Called BMW Genius later in the day, Car has been completed and has undergone and passed quality check. Should show as status "155 Production Completed" according to Genius.
09/29/2017: Spoke with my CA today, Made an appointment to come in October 2 in the evening to sign our lease paperwork. While you usually sign your lease about two weeks before your ED date, we decided to hold off based off of my CA's recommendation to see if the October numbers improve any. Hopefully they do.
10/02/2017: October numbers did not come out yet, that blew, CA (who is the fleet manager at the dealer) said it was no issue and that I can come in tomorrow.
10/03/2017: Today was a good day. Residuals shot up! Signed lease paperwork today. Signed up for the maintenance package, which I would NEVER normally purchase, as the finance guy said it would only make our lease $10 more a month. Left the dealership. Got a call from the finance guy to come back as he "messed something up" (which I immediately figured was the maintenance program from only ~$10 more a month). He did, he had applied a loyalty rebate which cannot be applied to ED. Our contact at the dealer (said fleet manager) felt terrible about the mix up and moved around the numbers to get the rebate (without getting the actual rebate, meaning he took less (roughly $600 less) over invoice then we previously agreed to, in order to make the deal work at the same numbers). Signed the paperwork again, and we are off. Ended up going with the 12K mile lease as the difference was roughly $17 a month and now that we have a four door, may take more trips.
10/09/2017: Today is the day. Picked up car at the Welt!
10/13/2017: Sadly last day with the car. Dropped off car in Zurich.
10/26/2017: New account information etc shows up on MY BMW. No vessel assigned yet and no estimate as to when the car will get here yet.
11/01/2017: Received ship info and dates. Shipped assigned to is the FIDELIO and it is leaving on 11/3 with an estimated arrival at port on 12/1! You can track its progress here http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1435978
12/04/2017: Fidelio arrives at port
12/05/2017: Car is unloaded
12/08/2017: FINALLY Customs Release and Liner Release
12/13/2017: Vehicle scanned into the VPC at midnight. Estimated delivery 12/17 (after we leave California for Texas). Will have to fly up after Christmas to get it.
12/20/2017: Car finally arrives at dealer!!! Picking up car on the 26 after the holiday!
12/26/2017: Finally picked up the car!

Now the constant calling of BMW Genius and stress continues, again.....

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)

Last edited by Thescout13; 12-13-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18135.50
ilia381.00
JTK24121.00
Simple1133.50
      06-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Congratulations!

I should start one of these too for historical purposes lol... My journey started since like November last year!

Can't wait to see the ol girl at the conclusion of this thread!

PS I dont blame her on Atlantis Blue. Its gorgeous. Tanzanite was our second choice, and was about all I could bring myself to part with for a color choice. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Do you mind if I ask you what build week you got and what date you pick as your earliest ED date?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
Do you mind if I ask you what build week you got and what date you pick as your earliest ED date?
I only submitted one ED Date which was 12-18. Didn?t submit any back ups as it?s so far out my dealer said I would for sure get it.

As to build week, I am not certain I think it?s late 20s early 30s. Will call tomorrow and double check and update the thread. However my build date will become irrelevant and pushed back once individual color gets approved.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

if you have the ability to test drive the F80 and the Competition Package F80 for comparison, you should do so. My biggest regret is not opting for the Competition Package. I am an Audi convert and am unfamiliar with such things where I came from. The firmer handling and burble tune are worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
if you have the ability to test drive the F80 and the Competition Package F80 for comparison, you should do so. My biggest regret is not opting for the Competition Package. I am an Audi convert and am unfamiliar with such things where I came from. The firmer handling and burble tune are worth every penny.
Hi man, thanks for the suggestion. This Car is actually for my wife. She test drove both and loved the Competition Package but for her personally she couldn?t justify the cost and preferred to pay for the individual color only.

It?s all good though, I also put a deposit on my M3 for an ED next summer. Mine will definitely have the Competition Package. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I only submitted one ED Date which was 12-18. Didn?t submit any back ups as it?s so far out my dealer said I would for sure get it.

As to build week, I am not certain I think it?s late 20s early 30s. Will call tomorrow and double check and update the thread. However my build date will become irrelevant and pushed back once individual color gets approved.
Curious as to what your build week is. Mine is 35, but my delivery date is 9/19. (Though BMW made it clear several times the production week may move up to meet the delivery date).

Quote:
I have to agree with this. I was set on non-competition package. Like the wheels better and didn't think I needed it. But I drove the comp at a local dealer and I couldn't shake the need for that exhaust and the wheels alone. I had to have it. Since your wife isn't as interested I totally understand. But as you noted for yours, you plan to get it... please do... I don't see you regretting it!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Quote:

Curious as to what your build week is. Mine is 35, but my delivery date is 9/19. (Though BMW made it clear several times the production week may move up to meet the delivery date).

Quote:
I have to agree with this. I was set on non-competition package. Like the wheels better and didn't think I needed it. But I drove the comp at a local dealer and I couldn't shake the need for that exhaust and the wheels alone. I had to have it. Since your wife isn't as interested I totally understand. But as you noted for yours, you plan to get it... please do... I don't see you regretting it!
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey man just found out I have a build week of 30 which will be pushed back after individual color gets approved
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18135.50
      06-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
I just got my production today. Week 29. Finger crossed to get approve for my ED date.
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just got my production today. Week 29. Finger crossed to get approve for my ED date.
Sweet, what is your target date again?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Sweet, what is your target date again?
Aug 4th. My birthday
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Great idea! You'll find yourself looking back at it here and there--the smiles return quickly!

Enjoy the ride, it's long but really fun and 100% worth it. Beautiful color choice as well.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Great idea! You'll find yourself looking back at it here and there--the smiles return quickly!

Enjoy the ride, it's long but really fun and 100% worth it. Beautiful color choice as well.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #15
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Aug 4th. My birthday

You can get an ED delivery date that early? I was under the impression it would be late August at the earliest. I had a late August delivery a couple of years ago and that was basically one of the earlier delivery dates.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
You can get an ED delivery date that early? I was under the impression it would be late August at the earliest. I had a late August delivery a couple of years ago and that was basically one of the earlier delivery dates.
That's what I requested, but dont know what date they will approve
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Hey man just found out I have a build week of 30 which will be pushed back after individual color gets approved
Hey Scout,

Interestingly we have confirmed in writing our selected ED date in November, but will hear on Monday on the production number and get the VIR - apparently you-know-who has to check on some individual interior stuff we're doing.

Anyway, we'll see if the VIR and prod number comes back tomorrow - I did think it was interesting that we got an allocation and ED date (as well as all numbers) confirmed in writing prior to getting the prod number and build date. If we don't, I've got a great plan b thanks to you!

we'll see!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #18
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Hey Scout,

Interestingly we have confirmed in writing our selected ED date in November, but will hear on Monday on the production number and get the VIR - apparently you-know-who has to check on some individual interior stuff we're doing.

Anyway, we'll see if the VIR and prod number comes back tomorrow - I did think it was interesting that we got an allocation and ED date (as well as all numbers) confirmed in writing prior to getting the prod number and build date. If we don't, I've got a great plan b thanks to you!

we'll see!
No worries man! Hopefully it works out! We have a VIR and allocation and production number in hand but waiting for ED confirmation and Color confirmation. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #19
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

06/27/17: BMW tells dealer that individual color request needs to be submitted in order approve the ED date being so far out. Dealer sends request for Atlantis Blue Metallic Individual Color.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #20
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Quote:
06/27/17: BMW tells dealer that individual color request needs to be submitted in order approve the ED date being so far out. Dealer sends request for Atlantis Blue Metallic Individual Color.
Niiiice. I got my Ind color approved finally on this second allocation. Current status of 102 - still no estimated build week. Good luck on getting your ED date!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #21
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayzel View Post
Niiiice. I got my Ind color approved finally on this second allocation. Current status of 102 - still no estimated build week. Good luck on getting your ED date!
Thanks man! My target is so far out that I hope it will all work out.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #22
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

thanks Thescout13, this timeline journal is very helpful for those of us going through similar ordering processes.

can i ask what happened between 6/22 and 6/27?
seems like on 6/22 you noted the dealer already sent out an individual color request. but on your 6/27 update it seems like they never did and are only now doing so?
(quotes below, emphasis added mine)

Quote:
Hi all,

06/22/17: Old contact at the high volume dealer reaches out and says they have an allocation. Leave work early because can't contain excitement. Dealer shows me ordering system, we choose our options. Get allocation and production number. Put down deposit. Get my vehicle inquiry report with Black Sapphire Metallic as a holding color until Individual Color gets approved. Status 111, week 30 build for now. Dealer submits scan of preferred delivery date and sends out request for individual color approval.
Appreciate 0