Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
generalkp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Most comfortable coilovers/suspension

Hey Guys,

Is there any coilover/suspension setup that will make the ride on a F80 more comfortable than the adaptive suspension?

I want to have a lower stance than stock and I am willing to sacrifice cornering performance for better comfort.

Just had a kid and she seems to not sleep comfortably due to the harsh ride.

I'm currently lowered on Eibach Pro's with 19" FI-R's.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat. Since we both have EDC it would be good to hear if the KW edc coil overs ride more compliant and smoother over bad roads than stock edc in comfort mode.
      12-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
tomtang
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Now that I run JRZ RS PRO3 triple adjustable dampers with remote reservoir, my vote is for these as most comfortable. Plus they handle badass on track. Visit my thread to see my detailed review.
      12-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Best I've seen is the TCKline. These are better than stock. FYI - I don't run them, although I have had a car with them. I'm more track focused, so I run higher spring rates and have ordered MCS.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

I would say bilstein pss10, they also make it edc compatible, it's called bilstein damptronic coilover but are very expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

If you choose your own spring rates with any of the coilovers mentioned above, you can tailor the ride comfort to your needs. I did this with my JRZ RS2 and it's quite comfy. I use a 350lb spring + 150lb tender spring for the front. You can only get custom spring rates with linear coilovers springs, which typically come in track focused packages. I believe TC Kline comes with a 350lb spring out of the box, but foregoes the tender spring.

One more note, you will not be able to do this with the Bilstein PSS10 because of the spring design. And yes, while they are more comfortable than some coilovers, they are not any where close to being as comfortable as stock; even at its softest setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
If you choose your own spring rates with any of the coilovers mentioned above, you can tailor the ride comfort to your needs. I did this with my JRZ RS2 and it's quite comfy. I use a 350lb spring + 150lb tender spring for the front. You can only get custom spring rates with linear coilovers springs, which typically come in track focused packages. I believe TC Kline comes with a 350lb spring out of the box, but foregoes the tender spring.

One more note, you will not be able to do this with the Bilstein PSS10 because of the spring design. And yes, while they are more comfortable than some coilovers, they are not any where close to being as comfortable as stock; even at its softest setting.
The PSS10 EDC compatible ones are not as comfortable as stock?

OP there is also the KW DDC and tractive suspension. Both are compatible with EDC and you can put it in comfort mode.

Not sure how much more comfortable it is than eibach which is what I'm running since I drive around with a baby in the back. One thing I did read is that the earlier cars (prior to BMW releasing their HAS kit) software tend to drive firmer after lowering because the EDC would run it in sport mode even when we have it in comfort. Not sure how accurate it is but I plan to update the firmware soon.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Tractive dampers are the most comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post

The PSS10 EDC compatible ones are not as comfortable as stock?

OP there is also the KW DDC and tractive suspension. Both are compatible with EDC and you can put it in comfort mode.

Not sure how much more comfortable it is than eibach which is what I'm running since I drive around with a baby in the back. One thing I did read is that the earlier cars (prior to BMW releasing their HAS kit) software tend to drive firmer after lowering because the EDC would run it in sport mode even when we have it in comfort. Not sure how accurate it is but I plan to update the firmware soon.
As far as I know Bilstein Damptronic (their EDC version) is not available in the states yet. I have never heard or seen these actually installed on anyone's car in the states either. So I've never had the chance to experience them. I would love to get my hands on a set though.

I have had the regular PSS10 and they are far from being more comfortable than stock.

KW's Version of their DDC seems promising, but if it's just an updated V3, then I would never recommend it to an F80 owner. The ride height is too low even at it's highest setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Tractive dampers are the most comfortable.
I know of one guy in the states who is getting the Tractive coilovers installed at the moment. Excited to hear the results. But without a clear distributor and support for Tractive, I doubt many are going to be willing to put all that money into this kit. I read that Dinan was trying to bring them over with their support, but it didn't work out for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Not sure if KW DDC is using KW v3 as the base but I agree it sits too low at the highest setting.

Believe the US tractive distributor is in Austin Texas. Forgot the name but I remember writing that on one of Money's threads.

But tractive is used on Corvettes and Porsches so it's got decent history to refer to.

Can you advise which member here is getting it in US or add him to this thread.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if KW DDC is using KW v3 as the base but I agree it sits too low at the highest setting.

Believe the US tractive distributor is in Austin Texas. Forgot the name but I remember writing that on one of Money's threads.

But tractive is used on Corvettes and Porsches so it's got decent history to refer to.

Can you advise which member here is getting it in US or add him to this thread.
Thanks for that info on the distributor. I'll try to do some digging myself. The member I referred to is qmp. He is currently in the process of getting the Tractive EDC coilover installed. I'm looking forward to the results.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

How many coilover are there that actually have edc. All three setting
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Hey guys

I'm currently consulting with TPC Racing / DSC Sport in Maryland regarding TracTive Dampeners and DSC controller. My F80 is non EDC. The plan is to drop off the car at the shop so they can sniff the CANBUS. From there the shop will install the controller and standalone harness with the TracTive dampeners.

My goal was to have near stock or better comfort level on the streets and performance on the track. I was advise that this is best achieved with an active suspension not a passive (even with manual adjustments) coilover setup. From my understanding the DSC controller will be tailor to my driving styles. This is their own in-house developed controller. I believe that the DSC controller will also work on cars equipped with EDC by swapping out the controllers. I've seen their YouTube video where they did this on corvette.

I will continue to update my progress but forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to suspension. I'm sure the greats on this forum exo-shell will be able to fill the gaps.

There's another member ( poor-sha ) on this forum that has first hand experience with the shops mention although I believe he has move on to another platform.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
Hey guys

I'm currently consulting with TPC Racing / DSC Sport in Maryland regarding TracTive Dampeners and DSC controller. My F80 is non EDC. The plan is to drop off the car at the shop so they can sniff the CANBUS. From there the shop will install the controller and standalone harness with the TracTive dampeners.

My goal was to have near stock or better comfort level on the streets and performance on the track. I was advise that this is best achieved with an active suspension not a passive (even with manual adjustments) coilover setup. From my understanding the DSC controller will be tailor to my driving styles. This is their own in-house developed controller. I believe that the DSC controller will also work on cars equipped with EDC by swapping out the controllers. I've seen their YouTube video where they did this on corvette.

I will continue to update my progress but forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to suspension. I'm sure the greats on this forum exo-shell will be able to fill the gaps.

There's another member ( poor-sha ) on this forum that has first hand experience with the shops mention although I believe he has move on to another platform.
pls keep us posted. I'm sure a controller replacement itself would be great option to have.

Many 997 guys said the difference is dramatic with just the DSC from TPC.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Hey guys

This is exciting to hear. I’m curious as to why the f8x plug and play kit Tractive offers wasn’t considered. Inertia Labs in Dallas sells them.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:16 AM   #16
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Quote:
Hey guys

This is exciting to hear. I’m curious as to why the f8x plug and play kit Tractive offers wasn’t considered. Inertia Labs in Dallas sells them.
The DSC controller was a clear choice for me. They are local and will provide support on the level that I would be comfortable. My warranty was null the day I drove off the lot so aligning myself with shops that provide service and support is important.

This might be wishful thinking but I'll inquiry if there will be options for DSC and tuners to push (bootmod3 style) different algorithms to your account for different tracks set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
ZAGA_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80

I would suggest KW DDC. Thats what i have and i am loving them
Ping Golan @(AutoTalent), their pricing can not be beat
2010 E92 M3 (Sold)
2016 F80 ED..MW / Exec / Black 19' / DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGA_M3 View Post
How much comfortable is it over stock EDC?

Auto Talent said KW states 15mm - 45mm drop. Can you advise anything more?

Any pics of how your car sits?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #19
ZAGA_M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

here is a pic
Attached Images

2010 E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #20
ZAGA_M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

one more
Attached Images

2010 E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4F82,Akra/Eventuri/Stage2Tune

How are you guys finding the Nito's and what sizes are you running?
Appreciate 0