BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #199
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
IMO, it has nothing to do with confidence in their product (that's just what the Porsche guys like to say ). Hugely limited production and availability of the car, sold out production... besides, would you want a bunch of hooligan, over confident, journalists beating the crap out of your $1M car? Not me!! Too high of a probability that you lose a car in the process.
It has been documented Ferrari has banned any owner from allowing this test to happen. There is availability just Ferrari doesn't want to allow it without a "factory tunned" car which Mclarean won't allow. It is how Ferrari works they use to send ringers to magazine car tests in the 90's. Please don't get me wrong I love Ferrari but they have a ego and don't like to lose.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #200
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
SHOCKER!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #201
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
It has been documented Ferrari has banned any owner from allowing this test to happen. There is availability just Ferrari doesn't want to allow it without a "factory tunned" car which Mclarean won't allow. It is how Ferrari works they use to send ringers to magazine car tests in the 90's. Please don't get me wrong I love Ferrari but they have a ego and don't like to lose.
I'm just messing with revcrazy

It's much more fun to joke around and mess with him because you can't have a meaningful discussion unless it's Porsche worship
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #202
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:

It's fun to joke with him because you can't have a meaningful discussion unless it's Porsche worship
I love all these cars. I would kill to have a chance to track drive any Hypercar. I think it's awesome how each one is so different and unique but still is an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #203
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:

It's much more fun to joke around and mess with him because you can't have a meaningful discussion unless it's Porsche worship
I am not in synch with that synopsis. For me its equally as frustrating to speak with those who have never owned a Porsche or even had any experience with cars of the magnitude we are speaking of. Then you get the, I stayed with a Ariel Atom in my M4 at an HPDE, and I can carry three other people, 'why would anyone every buy one of those" type arguments.

I certainly and by no means think everyone should worship Porsche. I have always loved their cars, their history, the fact that they took what was from the outset a design which no one would ever fathom creating, and not only make it the very best sports/exotic ever built, but have dominated the racing world for 50 years with it and still continue to on both fronts. I mean, even the fact that they have been using a flat 6 of relatively small displacement as still are the benchmark all these years later to me is astonishing considering that everyone out there guns for it, yet cannot seem to deliver the total 911 package over an over again...they only seem to be able to top themselves.

And the reality is, for me and for the many others who love them, all it took was one run through the gears to truly see what makes them special.

Do I enjoy the M cars as well, yes (this is my 6th one). I even lately have found a huge enjoyment from the AMG products which seem to be giving M division a huge run for their money if not beating them at their own game.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #204
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I love all these cars. I would kill to have a chance to track drive any Hypercar. I think it's awesome how each one is so different and unique but still is an amazing car.
Me too... I have owned many different cars, am not overly brand loyal, and appreciate many cars. Porsche is a phenomenal brand and build amazing cars. So does Ferrari. So does MB, BMW, Chev, etc, etc. I just don't have Porsche blinders on
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #205
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Me too... I have owned many different cars, am not overly brand loyal, and appreciate many cars. Porsche is a phenomenal brand and build amazing cars. So does Ferrari. So does MB, BMW, Chev, etc, etc. I just don't have Porsche blinders on
I aswell don't care about brands. We are so lucky to have all these choices.
I am excited about the Ford Focus RS! They need to add an optional alcatntera interior pack and it may be my next toy lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #206
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
Amazing isn't it. Just goes to show how the 918 package is such a masterpiece.

With the 918 continuing to show up the P1, its not surprising Ferrari doesn't want the LaFerrari (which weighs itself about 3500 lbs) facing the 918 on a timed lap comparo.
It's all about the AWD. It's not magic, it's simple physics. The P1 and LaFerrari are both faster in a straight line, but the AWD of the Volkswagen-made Porsche help it pull out of corners faster. On a faster track, things might be different.

It's the same way in which the 911 gets around a track faster. Traction. That goes back to my previous statement that the biggest problem the M4 has is putting the power down off the line and out of turns. And the reason that is has that problem is that it wears relatively small tires for its power level. From personal experience I can now say that the M4 is much quicker and more confidence-inspiring with just moving to 295 rears on stock wheels. And even those are not as wide as the ones on the 911s which sit on 11" wheels.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #207
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
I am not in synch with that synopsis. For me its equally as frustrating to speak with those who have never owned a Porsche or even had any experience with cars of the magnitude we are speaking of. Then you get the, I stayed with a Ariel Atom in my M4 at an HPDE, and I can carry three other people, 'why would anyone every buy one of those" type arguments.

I certainly and by no means think everyone should worship Porsche. I have always loved their cars, their history, the fact that they took what was from the outset a design which no one would ever fathom creating, and not only make it the very best sports/exotic ever built, but have dominated the racing world for 50 years with it and still continue to on both fronts. I mean, even the fact that they have been using a flat 6 of relatively small displacement as still are the benchmark all these years later to me is astonishing considering that everyone out there guns for it, yet cannot seem to deliver the total 911 package over an over again...they only seem to be able to top themselves.

And the reality is, for me and for the many others who love them, all it took was one run through the gears to truly see what makes them special.

Do I enjoy the M cars as well, yes (this is my 6th one). I even lately have found a huge enjoyment from the AMG products which seem to be giving M division a huge run for their money if not beating them at their own game.
we get that you like Porsche - most of us around here have either owned their cars or plan to in the future (or both). but that doesn't mean you should bring up one of their cars in every single thread. do you honestly think that everyone around here is crazy for pointing out that you're a fanboy, and you're the only one who is sane?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #208
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
we get that you like Porsche - most of us around here have either owned their cars or plan to in the future (or both). but that doesn't mean you should bring up entire Porsche lineup in every single thread. do you honestly think that everyone around here is crazy for pointing out that you're a fanboy, and you're the only one who is sane?
I just corrected for you
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #209
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
we get that you like Porsche - most of us around here have either owned their cars or plan to in the future (or both). but that doesn't mean you should bring up one of their cars in every single thread. do you honestly think that everyone around here is crazy for pointing out that you're a fanboy, and you're the only one who is sane?
Yeah, the thing is that products as good as Porsches doesn't need anyone saying how good they are anytime, anywhere and certainly not all the time, everywhere. Poor products need that. If I hadn't form my own opinion of their cars over the years the automatic reaction would be to be very suspicious about them and start to look for faults or reason to disagree when seeing this relentless tunnel vision propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #210
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

A couple of months ago I took a trip to Rome and decided to get a few factory tours up north in Bologna and Modena. I ride Ducatis so I took a sweet factory tour but, when I contacted Ferrari...their written policy seemed as if you weren't buying a Ferrari that day, don't ask for a tour of the factory. I need to go back because Lambo and Pagani are in the same area.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #211
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
A couple of months ago I took a trip to Rome and decided to get a few factory tours up north in Bologna and Modena. I ride Ducatis so I took a sweet factory tour but, when I contacted Ferrari...their written policy seemed as if you weren't buying a Ferrari that day, don't ask for a tour of the factory.
And a wise policy it is indeed. If not for this, their nice low volume factory would be overwhelmed by Ferrari T-shirt owners on a daily basis.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #212
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Really...how many folks take trips to Modena to visit a car factory?? It's an esoteric taste for a niche car company.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #213
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really...how many folks take trips to Modena to visit a car factory?? It's an esoteric taste for a niche car company.
People from Europe would. Ferrari thinks some people might be interested, which is why they've built Ferrari World.

In any case, they aren't losing anything by not letting you in.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #214
48Laws
Banned
Rep

I was not denied entry, for the record. didnt I type that? I said their policy wasn't as inviting. The US is a big Ferrari market. Each person should be treated as a potential buyer especially if they're willing to travel abroad to visit said factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #215
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was not denied entry, for the record. didnt I type that? I said their policy wasn't as inviting. The US is a big Ferrari market. Each person should be treated as a potential buyer especially if they're willing to travel abroad to visit said factory.
Not trying to be off-putting, but I think you're wrong. There are waiting lists for most new Ferrari models, and the whole mystique is to make it just slightly hard to attain even for those with the financial means to purchase one. To make it more desirable by letting the buyer come to the company, rather than the company going to the buyer (a la GM or Ford).

If you really were in the market for a Ferrari, your friendly Ferrari dealer would organize the factory visit for you. I know of people who have gone this way even before owning a car.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #216
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Ferrari is an old, small company. Probably only 5 employees assemble an engine. R/D from F1 tech drives the prices up among other things. That's where it gets pricey. Secondly, I'm not in the market for a Ferrari nor did I emply that. A tour with Ducati just fell into place quicker. That's really my only reason for not persuing Ferrari as time was limited.

Last edited by 48Laws; 04-07-2015 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0