Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
No CSL for F8X M3/M4

...so reporteth Top Gear:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...ing-2014-01-22

Obviously, this means the last great M3 was the E46. or E30. or something else that sounded really good that I own or used to own. But it must surely mean that the F8X (a car that none of us have driven and very few have ever seen) must be absolute, total, crap.*

* feel free to ignore the tounge in cheek bear baiting....or respond and fill yer boots.

Edit: nice of BMW to correctly predict the response in a place like this:

Matt Collins, product manager for BMW's small to medium cars, responded to what the enthusiasts will no doubt be whining about in a couple of years time. "Couple of years?" he says, "they're whining about [a new CSL] now. At the moment though, there are no plans on a CSL. Or anything like a CSL either."
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
...so reporteth Top Gear:

Obviously, this means the last great M3 was the E46. or E30. or something else that sounded really good that I own or used to own. But it must surely mean that the F8X (a car that none of us have driven and very few have ever seen) must be absolute, total, crap.*

* feel free to ignore the tounge in cheek bear baiting....or respond and fill yer boots.

Edit: nice of BMW to correctly predict the response in a place like this:

Matt Collins, product manager for BMW's small to medium cars, responded to what the enthusiasts will no doubt be whining about in a couple of years time. "Couple of years?" he says, "they're whining about [a new CSL] now. At the moment though, there are no plans on a CSL. Or anything like a CSL either."
I don't believe a word of it. No company are going to admit to a better version of a car they are just about to release coming in the near future. I'm not saying there will be a CSL but I wouldn't rule it out either
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I don't believe a word of it. No company are going to admit to a better version of a car they are just about to release coming in the near future. I'm not saying there will be a CSL but I wouldn't rule it out either
^^^This!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
This!

As a matter of fact, I would go as far and say that by publicly denying the concept of a CSL in the F8x line, BMW actually confirmed it.

It's marketing 101. Who are they trying to fool? - This is comical. Yeah, let's murk ourselves by telling the masses that the M3 they're about to buy will be replaced by an M3 with balls.

lol

P.S. I will reference this post years from now when the F8x CSL equivalent goes on sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Scott has been on record numerous times that there will be an enhanced M3/M4 later in the F8x lifecycle. Also, BMW is a beast of habit. E36M had the LTW; E46M had the CSL; E90M and E92M had the CRT and GTS. There will be a purpose-built version of the F80 and F82. It might not be called a "CSL" specifically, but you can bank on one coming out.

You can probably also bank on them NOT coming out in the US...

Edit: brainfart
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 01-23-2014 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

^^^ e46 M3 had a CRT? Say whaaaaaa?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Yeah, I don't think there can be any doubt that at some point BMW will issue a 'special super tweaked limited edition' so they can soak -- I mean charge customers a bit more for [imperceptible] differences......

There is LOTS of wiggle room in saying "At the moment, there are no plans...." Moments are brief and often forgotten when a chance to make some more bucks arises down the road.

That said, it might not be called a CSL. A new name is an easy way to avoid contradicting this statement in a few years.....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
No CSL for F8X M3/M4.
Very believable since it's not a coupe.

Agree with the others though, good bet we'll see them release a hotter F8x later in the cycle.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

BMW rules out an M3 & M4 CSL

Quote:
BMW has confirmed to Top Gear that there won't be a hardcore, lightweight ‘CSL' version of the new M3 saloon and M4 Coupe.

This is sad, because the last time BMW rolled out a CSL - the much loved E46 M3 CSL - they knocked the ball out of the park, with Jeremy even declaring it "BMW at its absolute best".

Seems the iconic nomenclature won't make a return on the new generation of M3 and M4. Matt Collins, product manager for BMW's small to medium cars, responded to what the enthusiasts will no doubt be whining about in a couple of years time. "Couple of years?" he says, "they're whining about [a new CSL] now. At the moment though, there are no plans on a CSL. Or anything like a CSL either."

BMW's view is that the new M3 and M4 are already CSLs, in essence. "There wasn't a CSL on the previous generation (the E92 M3), and the way we look at it is like this: the CSL was great because it had this real focus on lightweight engineering. But we've already done that with these new cars. We've made them as light as possible - they come in under 1500kgs, which for a car like this is incredible." Reference is made to the old E46 M3 weighing a similar amount.

"Rather than doing a halfway house to begin with," Matt explains, "and then rolling out a CSL, we thought we'd make the ‘real' car as light as we possibly could. So we've no plans whatsoever to make a lighter, harder version just yet."

Still, there's another lighter, harder Thing that is keeping the M aficionados concerned too, and that's the departure from a big, naturally aspirated 4.0-litre V8 to a twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight-six.

"I can understand that people might look at the six-cylinder and do the natural comparisons (with other BMW 3.0-litre turbos too), but the amount of change we've put on this engine is substantial. We think that any M engine has to be good enough to be true to the character of M, and this new S55 combines power (431bhp) torque (406lb ft) and usability combined with the CO2 benefits of a turbo (it emits the same CO2 as the original four-pot E30 M3). Plus we've retained that high-revving character of the V8, so the overall combination is right for us."

Should sound fruity, mind. "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds. Granted, naturally aspirated cars and turbocharged cars are never going to be the same, but with this - with electronically controlled exhaust flaps - you'll feel like you're in an M car."

Let's hope so, because these new cars - with a quoted 0-62mph time of 4.1s (with the DCT ‘box) - are the quickest production cars BMW currently makes. Even faster than the M5 and M6. Not that BMW cares about such things. "We're not concerned [with being quicker than its 'big brothers'], we just wanted to make the quickest M3 and M4 possible." We kind of admire that here at TG. But tell us, should BMW build an even faster version of these two cars? Or is outright speed not really the point with an M car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Scott26 himself had said that there were plans for other variants . And since we are dealing with a turbo engine, you know damn well, that this "tune 1" with other tunes and editions coming up. They will have to keep up with the aftermarket, or at least give a version that would give the GT3 a slight run for it's money. And let's not forget the Mustang factor as well. Ford said that they targeted the e92 M3 for the new Ford Mustang. And you know damn well, that they will have a more powerful Boss or Mach 1 coming up, not to mention any Shelby variants. And then, there are the up coming ATS-V with a rumored 450 hp engine, and the upcoming C Class AMG, and it's possible Black Edition variant.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

^^^

Since you are waxing on about competitors' performance cars, don't forget about the RC/IS F, RS4/5, and looking increasingly more likely, a 500hp+ entry from Infiniti. Not that I necessarily think all of this competition will necessarily influence the decision to build a special model. But it may very well have an effect on the timing and performance of the ZCP package.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
BMW product manager: "there won’t be an M3/M4 CSL"

Quote:
Vijay Pattni. 22, January 2014

BMW: there won’t be an M3/M4 CSL

Confirmation that lightweight road-rocket not in the plans for new super coupe and saloon

BMW has confirmed to Top Gear that there won't be a hardcore, lightweight ‘CSL' version of the new M3 saloon and M4 Coupe.

This is sad, because the last time BMW rolled out a CSL - the much loved E46 M3 CSL - they knocked the ball out of the park, with Jeremy even declaring it "BMW at its absolute best".

Seems the iconic nomenclature won't make a return on the new generation of M3 and M4. Matt Collins, product manager for BMW's small to medium cars, responded to what the enthusiasts will no doubt be whining about in a couple of years time. "Couple of years?" he says, "they're whining about [a new CSL] now. At the moment though, there are no plans on a CSL. Or anything like a CSL either."

BMW's view is that the new M3 and M4 are already CSLs, in essence. "There wasn't a CSL on the previous generation (the E92 M3), and the way we look at it is like this: the CSL was great because it had this real focus on lightweight engineering. But we've already done that with these new cars. We've made them as light as possible - they come in under 1500kgs, which for a car like this is incredible." Reference is made to the old E46 M3 weighing a similar amount.

"Rather than doing a halfway house to begin with," Matt explains, "and then rolling out a CSL, we thought we'd make the ‘real' car as light as we possibly could. So we've no plans whatsoever to make a lighter, harder version just yet."

Still, there's another lighter, harder Thing that is keeping the M aficionados concerned too, and that's the departure from a big, naturally aspirated 4.0-litre V8 to a twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight-six.

"I can understand that people might look at the six-cylinder and do the natural comparisons (with other BMW 3.0-litre turbos too), but the amount of change we've put on this engine is substantial. We think that any M engine has to be good enough to be true to the character of M, and this new S55 combines power (431bhp) torque (406lb ft) and usability combined with the CO2 benefits of a turbo (it emits the same CO2 as the original four-pot E30 M3). Plus we've retained that high-revving character of the V8, so the overall combination is right for us."

Should sound fruity, mind. "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds. Granted, naturally aspirated cars and turbocharged cars are never going to be the same, but with this - with electronically controlled exhaust flaps - you'll feel like you're in an M car."

Let's hope so, because these new cars - with a quoted 0-62mph time of 4.1s (with the DCT ‘box) - are the quickest production cars BMW currently makes. Even faster than the M5 and M6. Not that BMW cares about such things. "We're not concerned [with being quicker than its 'big brothers'], we just wanted to make the quickest M3 and M4 possible." We kind of admire that here at TG. But tell us, should BMW build an even faster version of these two cars? Or is outright speed not really the point with an M car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Repost.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
oops my bad, figured if it had already been posted it wouldn't be buried beyond the first page lol
Appreciate 0