European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Talking question about "Detaling" my 400 mile car, lol

Hey guys. So I had black car my entire life and got Alpine White and love the change.

Question is, car us brand new and if I look closely I can see a lot of scratches etc which is fine because I enjoy detailing.

Anyway, its not overkill to Clay, Polish, wax brand new two week old car right? Probably a good time to do it?

Also, I always forget. Glaze after final wax or skip glaze all together?

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax/glaze?
Then finish off with Adams QD?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Brand new cars should get the following process.
Wash
Decontamination (Iron X )
Clay
Wash again
One step polish to remove light marring assuming that's all you have.
Wax, Sealant or I'd recommend Ceramic Coating.

Glaze is a filler to fill in light scratches and not move them.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
drexplode1781.50
///Mongo272.50
      03-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

It does, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Definitely not overkill - it's the best time to do it!

If you have scratches/swirls you'll need to include the polish step, otherwise you could skip it. Either way, finish with a long-lasting synthetic sealant - there are a lot of good ones on the market these days.

Have fun!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Do it right from the start and it will be easier to maintain yourself
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
jjp1008
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I'd have to agree on doing it early. When I took delivery of my M3, I told my sales rep not to remove the stickers or detail it on site (they run it straight through an auto-wash). Needless to say, he looked at me like I was crazy but said "You're the boss" lol. My process was; first obviously removing the factory stickers and covers, foam wash 3x, chenille mitt wash, lube and clay, second wash, followed up by wax.
I went over the paint (BSM) pretty thoroughly with some pretty high powered led's looking for surface abrasions, and opted to skip the polish for now, as I found nothing concerning. If you've got surface marring or anything that looks like it needs correction, a polish will take care of that pretty straight away. If you aren't comfortable working with a DA Polisher, I'd recommend taking it to a professional to handle that portion.
Ceramic coating your wheels might be another idea for you. Being that the car is like new and the wheels most likely have minimal dust buildup, now would be a good time to iron X the wheels and get some sort of coating on there (cquartz, nanolex, etc.)
All this up front work will make your weekly/bi-weekly washes that much easier when you have a good baseline to work from. I envy your white car, I had a MW M4 and now I have a BSM M3...god that thing gets dirty by looking at it, I swear.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

You can glaze before wax for more depth & shine. Glaze after would remove wax.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Hey guys. So I had black car my entire life and got Alpine White and love the change.

Question is, car us brand new and if I look closely I can see a lot of scratches etc which is fine because I enjoy detailing.

Anyway, its not overkill to Clay, Polish, wax brand new two week old car right? Probably a good time to do it?

Also, I always forget. Glaze after final wax or skip glaze all together?

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax/glaze?
Then finish off with Adams QD?
Deff not overkill. At the very least it needs to be decon'd and clayed.
Adam's is having a 15% off sale right now...not sure when it ends but maybe pick up a detailing starter pack if you dont have the gear already.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #9
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Deff not overkill. At the very least it needs to be decon'd and clayed.
Adam's is having a 15% off sale right now...not sure when it ends but maybe pick up a detailing starter pack if you dont have the gear already.
Why on earth would you clay brand new paint. Sounds to me like you work for Adams.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
Why on earth would you clay brand new paint. Sounds to me like you work for Adams.
Most brand new paint has actually already been through a lot, collected rail dust, etc...I agree with folks on this post, claying the brand new car is a must.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Claying new paint

Quote:
Its actually only one step in a process that should be performed on a brand new vehicle. Those vehicles have traveled long distances, sometimes by boat, mostly by truck. They are picking up all the same contaminants that a driven car does.

A true iron-remover on new paint would show a great amount of embedded particulates, especially on this white, because it will show more.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Its actually only one step in a process that should be performed on a brand new vehicle. Those vehicles have traveled long distances, sometimes by boat, mostly by truck. They are picking up all the same contaminants that a driven car does.

A true iron-remover on new paint would show a great amount of embedded particulates, especially on this white, because it will show more.

Bruce
Claying a new car, travelling long distance or not is a 100% conplete waste of money. There are no embedded contaminants in the paint. It is obvious you are trying to sell product.

My new came long distance and all it needed was a polish and wax and the paint is as smooth as glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer View Post
Most brand new paint has actually already been through a lot, collected rail dust, etc...I agree with folks on this post, claying the brand new car is a must.
Anyone who clays a new car is throwing away money. Anyone who says a new car should be clayed is trying to sell product.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
So I guess the contamination on my car was a figment of my imagination and the rough paint was just me being stupid and wanting throw money away. Car was hand washed multiple times and the rough paint wouldn't go away. Decontamination, clay bar, and ceramic coating was the route I chose and it worked perfectly.

No I didn't throw my money away because it was a needed step and no I'm not trying to sell a damn thing. You're aggressive opinions are absolutely ridiculous. Maybe some people just choose to take an extra step in caring for their new car. The only thing "obvious" is you being a keyboard cowboy with no real contribution to the post.

And no EAL doesn't work for Adams. He just chooses to pass along information as an actual helpful contributor to the forum. And who gives a shit if he did work for them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
vonmayr698.00
ptper589.00
///Mongo272.50
EALm43346.50
ccondo159.50
      04-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

New Car Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
So I guess the contamination on my car was a figment of my imagination and the rough paint was just me being stupid and wanting throw money away. Car was hand washed multiple times and the rough paint wouldn't go away. Decontamination, clay bar, and ceramic coating was the route I chose and it worked perfectly.

No I didn't throw my money away because it was a needed step and no I'm not trying to sell a damn thing. You're aggressive opinions are absolutely ridiculous. Maybe some people just choose to take an extra step in caring for their new car. The only thing "obvious" is you being a keyboard cowboy with no real contribution to the post.

And no EAL doesn't work for Adams. He just chooses to pass along information as an actual helpful contributor to the forum. And who gives a shit if he did work for them.
I think this proves my point nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Anyone who clays a new car is throwing away money. Anyone who says a new car should be clayed is trying to sell product.
stop being such a badbimmer
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #17
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

I did a paint decontamination after ~1,000 miles. I was surprised how much iron was embedded in my paint. My car turned bright purple like bb1857. I also clayed the car and was surprised how dirty the clay got. I highly recommend both steps!
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      04-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #18
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post

Yep, throwing away money. If your car,was really contaminamed as you say new from the dealer why on earth would you accept it like that. If it was as bad as you say then yes, you are bs because bmw wouldn't release a new car with paint in that condition. I call bs that you purchased a brand new car with paint in that condition.

And i can give my opinion to others and pass along helpful information just as you can give yours. Who do you think you are to bad mouth my opinion. Who?

New cars do not need to be clayed. A good 5.00 bottle of a off the shelf polish and wax is all it needs with a nice soft cotton cloth.

Sorry you purchased a defective paint job.

Last edited by badbimmer; 04-26-2017 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #19
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think this proves my point nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce
Ah, proves nothing. The only thing you proved was most likely you are trying to unload product.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #20
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Iron Remover

Quote:
Ah, proves nothing. The only thing you proved was most likely you are trying to unload product.
I am not trying to unload anything.

You cannot see the iron deposits in paint unless it is so bad that the paint is rusting thru. You obviously have a strong opinion on your side and I have a strong opinion on my side, but saying that all it needs is a cleaner polish is miss-informing and wrong.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      04-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not trying to unload anything.

You cannot see the iron deposits in paint unless it is so bad that the paint is rusting thru. You obviously have a strong opinion on your side and I have a strong opinion on my side, but saying that all it needs is a cleaner polish is miss-informing and wrong.

Bruce
The only ones who are promoting iron deposits and rust in brand new automobile paint are those who sell detailing products.

This is not mis-information.

I am only giving my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours.

Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
stop being such a badbimmer
I can't help being bad. I'm the badbimmer!
Appreciate 0