Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

I got a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car (passenger side) when driving slowly - either under 10mph or reversing slowly. It's also more pronounced when turning right. I'm thinking it's either:
- suspension related, or
- diff related.

I've scheduled a visit to the dealer for tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same noise and whether or not it's considered normal.

The car has 300km (200mi) and is a 6MT.

You can hear the noise at 17 seconds and 47 seconds in the video below.

UPDATE: Some of the rear passenger-side subframe bolts were not torqued to factory spec.

Picked it up from the dealer and then noise is gone for now...

Last edited by Ggeezer; 03-16-2017 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Not a rock in brake shield
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Lmonus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

is this the Rock noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

That doesn't sound like a rock stuck in your brake heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I concur, does not sound like a rock in the brake shield to me. I have had the rock issue several times.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Sounds like the issue a few of us are seeing in the UK..

Dealer managed to get mine to 95% but a one of the other guys rejected his car as they couldn't fix it..
      03-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post

Dealer managed to get mine to 95% but a one of the other guys rejected his car as they couldn't fix it..
What is the source / cause of the issue?
      03-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

No one seems to know however they replaced pretty much the entire rear end inc suspension, discs, pads, stones guards etc. One guy in the UK rejected his and others are having the same issue,.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

I took it in this morning and the shop foreman seems to think it's diff related. During the test drive, it made noises that were much louder than those in the video.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Mine makes that noise whenever I enter my driveway. It's the only time it makes that noise. The weird thing is the noise occurs when my front wheels go over the driveway entrance, but the noise is from the rear. It doesn't make that noise when the rear wheels go over driveway entrance.

And what's even more weird is that this doesn't happen at my parent's driveway. Their driveway entrance has a bigger bump than my driveway entrance, yet there is no noise when I go over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

UPDATE: Dealer thinks it's an improperly torqued bolt holding the diff assembly together from the factory or a subframe bolt.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
UPDATE: Dealer thinks it's an improperly torqued bolt holding the diff assembly together from the factory or a subframe bolt.
Good luck. I've had my fuel tank replaced, both rear doors ripped apart and re-insulated, my rear diff replaced, rear suspension removed/replaced... and guess what? Clunky clunky. The UK subforum has a good thread on this issue.

I love the car enough that I'd be satisfied with a 95% fix so hopefully the dealer can get it there.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Good luck. I've had my fuel tank replaced, both rear doors ripped apart and re-insulated, my rear diff replaced, rear suspension removed/replaced... and guess what? Clunky clunky. The UK subforum has a good thread on this issue.

I love the car enough that I'd be satisfied with a 95% fix so hopefully the dealer can get it there.
If the clunking is normal, I'm OK with it- I understand that it's a performance car and will make noises (like the clunk when disengaging the clutch at low speeds). This one didn't sound normal since it only occurs when taking off and it does not occur at any other time.

I just want to know what it is. I probably wouldn't enjoy having the entire diff & suspension replaced for this issue.

Is your car DCT or 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If the clunking is normal, I'm OK with it- I understand that it's a performance car and will make noises (like the clunk when disengaging the clutch at low speeds). This one didn't sound normal since it only occurs when taking off and it does not occur at any other time.

I just want to know what it is. I probably wouldn't enjoy having the entire diff & suspension replaced for this issue.

Is your car DCT or 6MT?
DCT.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the clunking to be 'normal.' There's either something mechanical or component layout related that's causing it, but it doesn't affect driveability, safety, or otherwise.

If your issue is only from a start, it's different than what the UK thread is talking about and what my issue is. That's more of a metallic rattle/knocking over uneven roads/bumps at all speeds (more easily heard at lower speeds due to less road noise). Hopefully whatever you have is an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #14
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

Quote:
I got a knocking noise coming from the rear of the car (passenger side) when driving slowly - either under 10mph or reversing slowly. It's also more pronounced when turning right. I'm thinking it's either:
- suspension related, or
- diff related.

I've scheduled a visit to the dealer for tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same noise and whether or not it's considered normal.

The car has 300km (200mi) and is a 6MT.

You can hear the noise at 17 seconds and 47 seconds in the video below.

Let the guy out of your trunk.
      03-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep

UPDATE: Some of the rear passenger-side subframe bolts were not torqued to factory spec.

Picked it up from the dealer and then noise is gone for now...
Appreciate 1
backagain345.00
      03-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
DCT.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the clunking to be 'normal.' There's either something mechanical or component layout related that's causing it, but it doesn't affect driveability, safety, or otherwise.

If your issue is only from a start, it's different than what the UK thread is talking about and what my issue is. That's more of a metallic rattle/knocking over uneven roads/bumps at all speeds (more easily heard at lower speeds due to less road noise). Hopefully whatever you have is an easy fix.
I was experiencing something similar (a metallic rattle/tap click, click, click over bumps). It turned out to be improperly routed parking brake cables which were rattling against the gas tank. It took them a few days with the car to figure out, but I've been rattle free for a few weeks now.

Work order linked below if interested.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1#post21347211
Sleeper659.50
      03-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
DCT.

I was experiencing something similar (a metallic rattle/tap click, click, click over bumps). It turned out to be improperly routed parking brake cables which were rattling against the gas tank. It took them a few days with the car to figure out, but I've been rattle free for a few weeks now.

Work order linked below if interested.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1#post21347211
Thanks man. Sent your work order to my dealer - worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
manny0469
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 btw m3 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post

HEY IM JUST GETTING THE SAME THING FROM MY 2017 BMW ME F80. I TOOK TO THE DEALER AND THEY HAVE MY CAR FOR A WHOLE WEEK N STILL HAVEN'T FIX IT YET.
Appreciate 0