Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #23
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
The behavior is different in a ZCP vs non-ZCP. The valves are always open upon starting the motor but close immediately following. This is for the ZCP "start up roar"and cannot be changed with the factory options. You have the tap the throttle in S/S+ after starting the motor to open the valves again.

You cannot do the "turn on the ignition, put it in S/S+ then tap the throttle" trick to open the valves like you can in a non-ZCP.
Nor would you want to it is WAY too loud. It doesn't even sound good its just so loud it shakes the garage.
I think it sounds much better with the valves open during cold start vs. closed. it is pretty darn loud for about 30 seconds though, I'll give you that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #24
daffyduck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
The behavior is different in a ZCP vs non-ZCP. The valves are always open upon starting the motor but close immediately following. This is for the ZCP "start up roar"and cannot be changed with the factory options. You have to tap the throttle in S/S+ after starting the motor to open the valves again.

You cannot do the "turn on the ignition, put it in S/S+ then tap the throttle" trick to open the valves like you can in a non-ZCP.
This seems to be correct on MY18 ZCP! You need to tap the gas pedal in S/SP after starting the engine - makes a major difference in terms of exhaust volume
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Wait, confused. So for ZCP cars, the valves always start open for around 30 secs regardless of mode and tapping of throttle?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
daffyduck
Private First Class
Rep

I think it‘s more like a few seconds, not half a minute
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #27
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
I think it‘s more like a few seconds, not half a minute
Sure. If you want to get technical, its only super loud for about 10-15 seconds but the cold start map (used to warm up the catalytic convertors) runs for a bit longer (about 30 seconds, give or take depending on other variables).

EDIT: Sorry, I misinterpreted your response to pheerlx's question. The valves are literally open for a second at start up for ZCP cars. You then need to put it in S or S+ and tap the throttle to open the valve back up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #28
daffyduck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry, I misinterpreted your response to pheerlx's question. The valves are literally open for a second at start up for ZCP cars. You then need to put it in S or S+ and tap the throttle to open the valve back up.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #29
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Quote:
Quote:
The behavior is different in a ZCP vs non-ZCP. The valves are always open upon starting the motor but close immediately following. This is for the ZCP "start up roar"and cannot be changed with the factory options. You have the tap the throttle in S/S+ after starting the motor to open the valves again.

Nor would you want to it is WAY too loud. It doesn't even sound good its just so loud it shakes the garage.
I love it, I can even feel my houses windows vibrating sometimes lol. I don't have a ZCP so with valves closed it sounds like a dirt bike.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #30
DEANMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2024 M4  [0.00]
2023 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
That should work....

To even dumb it down more,
1)click start engine without holding brakes
2)click m2(saved as sport plus everything)
3)you should hear the valve opening
4)start car
5)super loud and obnoxious, I don't do it anymore.
Part of my morning ritual.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #31
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

this is the most confusing thread in the history of the world
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
I can attest to this as well. I have a MY18 non-zcp f82 with mpe. Just did Alex@alpines tune with the GTS startup roar and was confused on the valves too. I used to be able to switch to sport and tap accelerator to open the valves and keep them opened after starting the engine. Now it doesn't matter what mode I'm in. Every time I start the engine, the valves open momentarily for the roar and then close back up. After 20-30 seconds the valves will open automatically when the engine is warmed or I can tap the accelerator if in sport/sport+ and they'll open up as well. When I start driving they stay open on 1st/2nd gears and close in 3rd until I start driving a bit more and the car's fully warmed
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #33
gmorton995
Veteran Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

One thing many are missing above is that you have to blip the throttle after moving the throttle mapping to Sport/Sport Plus prior to starting the engine. Only then will the flaps open. They do NOT open without a blip of the throttle. So....

1) click start engine without holding brakes
2) place throttle mapping in Sport/Sport Plus
3) blip throttle a couple of times
4) you MAY hear the valve opening
5) start engine
6) loud start-up and the way it should sound...enjoy

This DOES work for MY18 ZCP contrary to a lot of misinformation found across the forums. Not sure where that originated/why it originated...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #34
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorton995 View Post
One thing many are missing above is that you have to blip the throttle after moving the throttle mapping to Sport/Sport Plus prior to starting the engine. Only then will the flaps open. They do NOT open without a blip of the throttle. So....

1) click start engine without holding brakes
2) place throttle mapping in Sport/Sport Plus
3) blip throttle a couple of times
4) you MAY hear the valve opening
5) start engine
6) loud start-up and the way it should sound...enjoy

This DOES work for MY18 ZCP contrary to a lot of misinformation found across the forums. Not sure where that originated/why it originated...
Oh that does work on your zcp? It definitely worked on my non-zcp before I did the tune. It's a very distinct noise when the valves open after blipping the throttle in sport (before engine start) as you said.

I just tested mine again and couldn't force them to open before engine start. As I start the engine in sport (or any mode including efficient), I get the loud roar then it dies back down quickly with valves closed. When I give it a little gas or just wait for it to warm up in sport, I can hear the valves open and pconfirmed visually as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #35
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Good thread as I'm confused, too. My '18 ZCP seems to always start with the valves open and I do not like it at all - it's obnoxious in certain scenarios. I DO drive in Sport+ 99% of the time.

I will experiment with putting the car in Efficient mode prior to firing the engine but I'm almost certain this has no affect - valves always open upon start up in ZCP.

Ideally, I can leave the car in Sport+ at shut down and have it start with the valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #36
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
this is the most confusing thread in the history of the world
hahah
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #37
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

LOL this thread. In my NON ZCP 16' I start the car and put it in M1 (sport, sport, sport plus (steering)). And then blip and its SO LOUD. I don't do it leaving for work in the AM but weekends and other times yea buddy!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #38
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Good thread as I'm confused, too. My '18 ZCP seems to always start with the valves open and I do not like it at all - it's obnoxious in certain scenarios. I DO drive in Sport+ 99% of the time.

I will experiment with putting the car in Efficient mode prior to firing the engine but I'm almost certain this has no affect - valves always open upon start up in ZCP.

Ideally, I can leave the car in Sport+ at shut down and have it start with the valves closed.
This thread makes me even more excited for September 17th!

(Even though this is confusing as shit) lol

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #39
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

To many steps man, mine are permanently open.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #40
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
LOL this thread. In my NON ZCP 16' I start the car and put it in M1 (sport, sport, sport plus (steering)). And then blip and its SO LOUD. I don't do it leaving for work in the AM but weekends and other times yea buddy!
I do this exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #41
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Non comp pack remains closed on start, until you hit the gas.

Comp pack will open for .5 sec in start.

For those that want it loud, a tune can achieve this, or select sport/sport plus, and briefly tap the accelerator before starting. Then they will open and stay open.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #42
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
The behavior is different in a ZCP vs non-ZCP. The valves are always open upon starting the motor but close immediately following. This is for the ZCP "start up roar"and cannot be changed with the factory options. You have to tap the throttle in S/S+ after starting the motor to open the valves again.

Very interesting information. Did not know this was different between ZCP and non-ZCP. I thought early morning cold start was loud in my non ZCP with MPE. Wait till Neighbors wake up to my 5am cold starts in the ZCP with MPE

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #43
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Pressing the clutch pedal in and pushing backwards with one leg is my quiet start mode
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #44
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Pressing the clutch pedal in and pushing backwards with one leg is my quiet start mode
Ah yes, the benefits of 6MT. If I give it a good push I can back the car completely out of the garage and let it roll down the driveway to the middle of the street. Then I start the car. All this to not wake the kids.
Appreciate 0