European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-18-2023, 07:32 AM   #23
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I chose the MCS 2-way non-remote setup because I wanted something that I could install relatively easily, and didn't want to have to worry about the added variable of dealing with nitrogen, canister pressures, etc.

Obviously, those things have their advantages. My understanding is that the added volume of the system (and when combined with a lower gas pressure) can afford better ride compliance (eg, on street). Given I went with high spring rates, in retrospect I wonder whether I should have gone the remote route, but still like the idea of the simplicity of a non-remote setup (fewer things to go wrong).
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 08:16 AM   #24
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
Surprisingly having a hard time finding noob/explainer threads on this so apologies... what is the benefit of remote reservoirs and any downsides?
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

this was authored by a very competitive autocrosser many years ago and go over some really good car set up basics including suspension and shocks. I would say the info regarding specific brands is really outdated but the basics are the same.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #25
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Any thoughts on coilover covers like these: https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Suspensio...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Came across an ad for a similar product on Instagram today.
no.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. having good support either through the company themselves or reputable shock servicers, especially close or local is really helpful. you just have to find the right fit within those brands.

as I mentioned before, if you live in NYC and still need to drive the car in winter, you may need to re-evaluate your goals and realize there's going to be compromises. high end track components and driving in NE winters usually aren't a good combination, imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #26
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

If your driving in winter you should look at something like Bilstein Clubsports, as they will be TUV tested for salt, snow etc. and have covers to protect the damper. They are also an inverted monotube design which is superior to the stuff MCS, JRZ, Moton etc. are putting out. KW's top competition line are also inverted monotubes.

Personally having owned a set of MCS 2WNR on my F87 M2C, and currently MCS 2WR on my GT4 I think MCS are a bit overrated. They are good certainly, but there's nothing really magical about them in my experience especially for the price.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #27
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
If your driving in winter you should look at something like Bilstein Clubsports, as they will be TUV tested for salt, snow etc. and have covers to protect the damper. They are also an inverted monotube design which is superior to the stuff MCS, JRZ, Moton etc. are putting out. KW's top competition line are also inverted monotubes.

Personally having owned a set of MCS 2WNR on my F87 M2C, and currently MCS 2WR on my GT4 I think MCS are a bit overrated. They are good certainly, but there's nothing really magical about them in my experience especially for the price.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Bilsteins.

If you were to do it over again, what coilovers would you get on your F87 and GT4?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 10:19 AM   #28
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion on the Bilsteins.

If you were to do it over again, what coilovers would you get on your F87 and GT4?
Basically any coil over will make a big difference on an f8x on track. I also had Ohlins R&T on my e9x which I loved, then put a set on my M2C and they were terrible because the spring rates and valving didn't match.

On an f8x I'd be tempted to try the Bilsteins, or for a bit less money I'd get custom Ohlins R&T from Barry at 3dmmotorsport. Ohlins R&T dampers are really incredible for the price. Both of these kits will handle winter much better than the boutique brands. Otherwise there are other goods options mentioned in this thread (MCS, Ohlins TTX) depending on your budget.

On the GT4 I would try the 3-way Manthey kit which is KW.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If I had to daily drive the car in winter, I'd get the KW CS 2W, just over 3k, stainless steel bodies that will hold up really well to winter use
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #30
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

From the Bilstein Clubsport product description: "Bilstein 3-layer coating system, developed especially with threaded ride height adjustable kits in mind, guarantees high-quality, enduring corrosion protection. The special zinc alloy ensures excellent adherence to the base material, and forms the basis for longlasting corrosion protection. The middle coating transforms the zinc layer into a closed-formation, homogenous surface. Not only is the top coat aesthetically pleasing, it also provides additional, long-term protection against mechanical wear and corrosion. Endurance tests to DIN 50021 SS also testify to this: for Bilstein material, being subjected to salt spray for over 600 hours is like water off a duck’s back – compare that with the 418 hours boasted by stainless steel."

Would love to hear from anyone who has these on their car. Hard to find reviews online, checked Rennlist as well.

Leaning towards MCS - well-reviewed and local support. Will just avoid driving during the salty parts of winter and find another way to drive outside the city.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 02:59 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You could chat with the MCS people, they are very friendly. I recall they had changed/added coatings to make their kit more winter friendly.

There are a few good suspension systems, and sometimes the reason you don't see more -for example- KW Competition kits in the USA is not because they aren't good, but instead because they aren't local so everything is a hassle.

I've had four or five MCS systems in M cars and can't see myself switching.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #32
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I've enjoyed my JRZ RS two coils so far, a little on the stiffer side and they've become a little noisy due to the spherical bearings. I was told to clean and apply WD40, but I've never had. Has anyone done that?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:17 PM   #33
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
You're correct in that they are quite a bit different than a normal twin tube—fair point and I wasn't intending to lump them together. You're probably already aware that not all TTX dampers are through-rod though, wit the TTX 36 in the base kit I linked to being an example.
You're correct that not all TTX line are through rod, but if somebody's spending TTX money anyways, I encourage them to get the through rod versions !

I didn't mean to infer that you were lumping TTX with other multi-tube dampers. I meant for it to clarify and support for your recommendation.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0