Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #1
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Considering this platform will be roughly a decade old next year, I wanted to start a discussion on what us owners who track plan to do with their cars in the coming years. Some of us may have just recently purchased a F8X, while others like me, may be going on 10 years with this model.

Personally I have had no mechanical issues with the car as BMW built it. Most issues, all minor, were created through non OEM upgrades I made to the car. I say this to make the point that the car is reliable as this adds to the question of whether an upgrade is needed or desired from that perspective.

I will add my current outlook to this thread once the discussion gets going. I do plan to likely replace my F80 sometime early 2025, but as for now, I want to get the most value out of the upgrades I made to the car last year.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Ill start! My off season list looks like:

New parts:
1. OE brake rebuild (ss pistons + hi temp seals)
2. Girodisc rotors
3. Adjustable rear toe arm + camber shims
4. Bump steer tie rod ends
5. Brake cooling deflectors

Refreshed parts:

1. New wheel hubs + bearings all around
2. New endlink rod ends all around

Parts already on the car (for context):

1. MCS 2WR
2. Vorschlag Camber Plates
3. SPL End Links
4. GTMore F + R Sway Bars
5. Front monoball bushing on thrust arms
6. SS Brake lines
7. PFC 11 pads
8. Sparco Pro2000
9. Schroth Profi II ASM
10. Brake coding by Daap
      09-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I track probably a lot less than most of you in this section at a rate of three track days a year, so really not much.

I've got a 2016 nearing 60k miles. Currently DS1.11s, Girodiscs, Ohlins R&T and AD052s.

I plan on doing the rest of the suspension and drivetrain bits probably next year. A small dream of mine is Recaro Pole Position retrofit with OEM GTS mounts.

I'd like to sit lower than now even though the stock seats for my use and my body are great. But having done some miles in the G80 CS did make me a bit envious of the overall ergonomics with the seats, low position and lack of centre armrest.

I did think hard about doing camber plates, but as I've realised I'm just not going to track any more often than now and I don't want any more NVH.

No plans to ever replace the car.
      09-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #4
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

I plan on racing brakes SS pistons and seals over the winter. Take the stock brakes as far as I can before considering a BBK. I might put a spherical bearing in the rear.

Stuff I'd like to do sometime, but would impact classing-
F/R sway bars
Rear toe links w lockout.
Seat and harness

Maybe I'll have more as I go on, but there is quite a rabbit hole of kinematics to go down. I'd probably build a dedicated car before going down that road.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Since a seat + harness have been mentioned, I’ve figured out a way to run a harness and a back seat without a cage. I plan to make a post about it at some point but here’s some pics. It’s an ASM harness so no cage or bar required. I use the 3pt on the street and harness on track.

It’s connected to Schroth mounting tabs that I’ve fixed to the seatbelt mounting points. Tabs are accessible through the LATCH hole and in between the seat cushion / backseat trim.
Attached Images

09-30-2023, 07:09 AM   #6
adam996GT3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Since a seat + harness have been mentioned, I’ve figured out a way to run a harness and a back seat without a cage. I plan to make a post about it at some point but here’s some pics. It’s an ASM harness so no cage or bar required. I use the 3pt on the street and harness on track.

It’s connected to Schroth mounting tabs that I’ve fixed to the seatbelt mounting points. Tabs are accessible through the LATCH hole and in between the seat cushion / backseat trim.
Which Quickfit did you go with since there is no option for the f80?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Off season for me:
- install bimmerworld alcon bbk I just picked up - was going to go the Giro disc and blue calipre upgrade path but got a great deal that was only marginally more expensive than the other option
- single turbo build now that I have confirmed I have a blown turbo
- not chasing big power but maybe some fuelling upgrades
- square rotatable wheel/tire setup
- at least 10.5 square probably the bimmerworld
set, will go 11 square if I can sell my mcs 2wnr with stickier tires
setup and move to the gtmore parts
- gtmore oil level sensor for extra quart

Last year did
- mcs 2wnr with gc camber plates
- mono ball thrust arms
- gt more sway bars with spl end links
- spl rear toe arms
- fall line camber lock out shims
- cobra nogaro seats on bk sliders
- quick fit e90 harnesses (f80 and e90 seat mounts are the same) - seats and harness were the number 1 most helpful thing I did byw
- pfc 08 pads and motul rbf 660
- continental ecf tires for first 2 months of season then nt01s for the balance
Appreciate 3
      09-30-2023, 09:45 AM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam996GT3 View Post
Which Quickfit did you go with since there is no option for the f80?
Not a quick fit - it’s a Schroth Profi II ASM harness - it uses a standard harness clips. I used Schroth mounting tabs and bolted them onto the seatbelt mounting points. I bent the left side to fit between the seat cushion so I could retain my back seat.
Attached Images

09-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #9
adam996GT3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not a quick fit - it’s a Schroth Profi II ASM harness - it uses a standard harness clips. I used Schroth mounting tabs and bolted them onto the seatbelt mounting points. I bent the left side to fit between the seat cushion so I could retain my back seat.
Thanks. Is the the angle of the shoulder harness to mounting location safe to be used with a fixed back seat and HANS device? Also have you had any issues passing tech with this setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:08 PM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam996GT3 View Post
Thanks. Is the the angle of the shoulder harness to mounting location safe to be used with a fixed back seat and HANS device? Also have you had any issues passing tech with this setup?
With where my seat is positioned, the angle is not very steep - probably around 20-30 degrees tho I have not measured it exactly. It’s an ASM harness so it turns into a 3-pt in a crash, so you fall forward into you steering wheel airbag. For that reason, I would not use it with a traditional HANS device even tho they are advertised as compatible. I do wear a Hybrid S HANS, however, that levers on my body and doesn’t rely on the harness for security.

No issues passing tech so far - worst case is I just use the 3-pt. My logic is either you maintain the stock 3-pt crash safety + mechanics or go full cage with 6-pt. This setup achieves the former but allows me to be strapped down on track. I do not use the harness on the street - I have the 3pt installed for that purpose.
      10-02-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

This season I ran the following:

- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on stock non-ZCP wheels (255/35-19 and 275/35/19)
- Vorschlag camber plates (-2.7 front camber, 0 front toe, -2.0 rear camber, slight rear toe-in)
- stock dampers and springs
- monoball control arm bushings
- Turner SS brake lines
- PFC 11 front, PFC 8 rear
- Castrol SRF fluid
- BM3 stage 1 torque limited -20%
- VRSF catless downpipes, AA single midpipe, dinan exhaust

Car as is paces 1:35-37 on NJMP Thunderbolt, 1:15-17 on NJMP Lightning, and 2:15-17 at Watkins Glen (cannot take esses even close to flat)

Upgrades at the start of next season:

- MCS 2-way remote coilover kit (almost universally recommended on here and people I've spoken with at events)
- TBD on springs but maybe 600/700 front/rear as recommended by RugbyBro
- 295/30-18 square wheel setup (not sure which wheels yet, open to recommendations - I'm not shy on curbs so maybe something resistant to bent rims on track if that exists)
- Conti ECF tires
- Alignment: more aggressive front camber, at least -3.0. Maybe the dual track/street method that SYT_Shadow recommends to get some front toe at the track

Maybe: girodiscs on the front to see how they wear compared to OEM rotors
Maybe: other suspension work like camber shims, adjustable toe links

Won't consider bucket seats until I address some obvious issues with front end grip. Won't consider sway bars until I see how the car does with coilovers (on track and street). Car is driven to track and not trailered, weekend car only but do use it for short road trips

Open to any feedback/suggestions

Last edited by 4Y_stack_acceleration; 10-02-2023 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      10-03-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
Just a quick clarification - it would be 700F/600R if you go true rear coilover like mine; most MCS true coil-rear setups use rear springs that are about 100 in/lbs less than the fronts. I think the equivalent for divorced is something like 700F/900-1000R.
      10-03-2023, 11:59 PM   #13
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Guess I’ll chime in with my plans

Track season just ended where I’m located, so off season plans are as follows.

1. OE brake rebuild (ss pistons + hi temp seals)
2. Gt4 front brake ducts and appropriate hoses and backing plate mods
3. More aggressive alignment settings (go from -2.5f -1.7r to -3f -2r)
4. Brake cooling deflectors (maybe, depends how gt4 ducts work out)
5. Turner oil cooler skid plate

Parts already on the car

1. MCS 2WNR
2. Vorschlag Camber Plates
3. SPL End Links
4. SPL toe links with lockout
5. Turner front monoball
6. Titanium brake shims
7. Ferodo ds 1:11 pads
8. Castrol SRF
9. Girodisc front and rear discs
10. Apex sm10 18x10, 18x11 wheels
11. Nitto nt01 275/35/r18, 305/35/r18
12. Rouge engineering trans mounts
13. Cobra Nogaro seats on Brey Kraus mounts (saved 48lbs)
14. CAE shifter
15. Extra capacity oil sensor
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:19 PM   #14
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This season I ran the following:

- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on stock non-ZCP wheels (255/35-19 and 275/35/19)
- Vorschlag camber plates (-2.7 front camber, 0 front toe, -2.0 rear camber, slight rear toe-in)
- stock dampers and springs
- monoball control arm bushings
- Turner SS brake lines
- PFC 11 front, PFC 8 rear
- Castrol SRF fluid
- BM3 stage 1 torque limited -20%
- VRSF catless downpipes, AA single midpipe, dinan exhaust

Car as is paces 1:35-37 on NJMP Thunderbolt, 1:15-17 on NJMP Lightning, and 2:15-17 at Watkins Glen (cannot take esses even close to flat)

Upgrades at the start of next season:

- MCS 2-way remote coilover kit (almost universally recommended on here and people I've spoken with at events)
- 295/30-18 square wheel setup (not sure which wheels yet, open to recommendations - I'm not shy on curbs so maybe something resistant to bent rims on track if that exists)
- Conti ECF tires
- Alignment: more aggressive front camber, at least -3.0. Maybe the dual track/street method that SYT_Shadow recommends to get some front toe at the track

Maybe: girodiscs on the front to see how they wear compared to OEM rotors
Maybe: other suspension work like camber shims, adjustable toe links

Won't consider bucket seats until I address some obvious issues with front end grip. Won't consider sway bars until I see how the car does with coilovers (on track and street). Car is driven to track and not trailered, weekend car only but do use it for short road trips

Open to any feedback/suggestions
Significant edits thanks to advice from d_sheer_driving_pleasure and rugbybro...

Upgrades next season:
  • MCS 2WR coilovers + 700F/600R springs + Vorschlag camber plates
  • Bimmerworld TA5R 18x10.5" ET36 square w/ 15mm spacer (they're half the price of VS-5RS for +11% more weight, and more ideal offset)
  • Conti ECF 295/30-18 (read a rennlist post that these are faster than Cup 2 and last much longer, and Grassroots tested these to be faster than RS4s)
  • Cobra Nogaro (driver's seat only) with Brey Kraus mounts
  • RugbyBro's 4pt ASM method without needing a harness bar
  • Simpson Hybrid system
  • Girodisc rotors front and rear (currently using OEM rotors), dust shields removed
  • PFC 11 front and rear (currently PFC 11 front, PFC 8 rear)
  • Bimmerworld brake cooling deflectors

Alignment TBD (need to figure out fitment as well), open to recommendations. Definitely want some toe-out (currently 0 front toe), so will be learning the dual camber plate setting method.

Came across a post from 2022 on the E92 forum: "295 ECF is the best bang for buck for our car in my opinion. They wear better than NT01 by more than enough to make up for the price difference, and they are better in potentially every way than the 275 NT01, with the only uncertainty being absolute pace."

"ECF's are practically the same pace in terms of track times and last as long as FUCK. oh and lap after lap it's stupid consistent. the entire tire is predictable, has great breakaway, price points are not bad if you live near a tirerack or just buy from trackdaytires due to their contingency program."

I know 295/30-18 is a big favorite here. But are there any fitment issues with 295/35-18 on 18x10.5" with these coilovers? CR-S is available in that size.

Last edited by 4Y_stack_acceleration; 10-09-2023 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2023, 10:54 PM   #15
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Significant edits thanks to advice from d_sheer_driving_pleasure and rugbybro...

Upgrades next season:
  • MCS 2WR coilovers + 700F/600R springs + Vorschlag camber plates
  • Bimmerworld TA5R 18x10.5" ET36 square w/ 15mm spacer (they're half the price of VS-5RS for +11% more weight, and more ideal offset)
  • Conti ECF 295/30-18 (read a rennlist post that these are faster than Cup 2 and last much longer, and Grassroots tested these to be faster than RS4s)
  • Cobra Nogaro (driver's seat only) with Brey Kraus mounts
  • RugbyBro's 4pt ASM method without needing a harness bar
  • Simpson Hybrid system
  • Girodisc rotors front and rear (currently using OEM rotors), dust shields removed
  • PFC 11 front and rear (currently PFC 11 front, PFC 8 rear)
  • Bimmerworld brake cooling deflectors

Alignment TBD (need to figure out fitment as well), open to recommendations. Definitely want some toe-out (currently 0 front toe), so will be learning the dual camber plate setting method.

Came across a post from 2022 on the E92 forum: "295 ECF is the best bang for buck for our car in my opinion. They wear better than NT01 by more than enough to make up for the price difference, and they are better in potentially every way than the 275 NT01, with the only uncertainty being absolute pace."

"ECF's are practically the same pace in terms of track times and last as long as FUCK. oh and lap after lap it's stupid consistent. the entire tire is predictable, has great breakaway, price points are not bad if you live near a tirerack or just buy from trackdaytires due to their contingency program."

I know 295/30-18 is a big favorite here. But are there any fitment issues with 295/35-18 on 18x10.5" with these coilovers? CR-S is available in that size.
If going with a 295/30/18 I'd for sure use the RE71RS's.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2023, 11:16 PM   #16
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Seems like they are faster than the ECF but don't last nearly as long, 6-8 events out of them from another thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1966605

This Rennlist post here says RE71s are faster than RS4s but the RS4s last 3 times longer (and I recall reading that the ECFs last longer than RS4s): https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ison-nyst.html

May try both, thanks for the recommendation
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:28 AM   #17
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any particular reason for that version? It seems quite a bit more expensive than most of their asm belts.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #18
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Any particular reason for that version? It seems quite a bit more expensive than most of their asm belts.
Mainly for the flexibility - I wasn’t sure how they would mount in when I bought them and some of the cheaper options like the Ralleye are tethered so potentially less flexible. Also, since I wear a Hybrid S I wanted maximum maneuverability with the shoulder straps as I wasn’t sure if I would wear the harness in relation to that. They do drape over the Hybrid S and lock you down, however, I wouldn’t use them with a traditional HANS due to ASM.
      10-10-2023, 01:53 PM   #19
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
295/35R18s RE71RS fits too! But I think 4Y_stack_acceleration is going for solid seat time with the ECFs.
      10-10-2023, 05:19 PM   #20
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

FWIW I found the profi II asm FE really cheap here. Site generally has good reviews.
https://www.optionsauto.com/products...ber=0&stkavl=0

Well that didn’t work.

Hms has the non fe on sale for the 2027 belts though. End of season clearance.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50