Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #23
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I would bet a 100% that the oil cooler was damaged, hence oil leak. Walk away.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #24
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
I would bet a 100% that the oil cooler was damaged, hence oil leak. Walk away.
While I'm not completely disagreeing with you, why? If the car was flatbedded to the auto body shop, leaking oil out of the system doesn't matter. It would only matter if someone tried to drive it which after a tree hit would be unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #25
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Carfax isn't always accurate but they do typically report whether the accident was minor or if it was a major wreck.

Bottom line, any ding or record on Carfax is going to hurt resale regardless of how minor it was. Dealerships will keep some cars with "minor" accidents but generally they are full disclosure these days pertaining to Carfax records. As long as you aren't buying it at "Bob's Motors" rest assured they aren't trying to pull one over your head or be deceiving.

Granted, sure they will try to downplay the minor accident if there was one reported. Their job is to sell cars at the highest profit, yours is to buy at the lowest. Always a middle ground and if anything it gives you more room to negotiate on the price of the car.

However, front collision reported or "hitting a tree" would be a large turn off for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Carfax isn't always accurate but they do typically report whether the accident was minor or if it was a major wreck.

Bottom line, any ding or record on Carfax is going to hurt resale regardless of how minor it was. Dealerships will keep some cars with "minor" accidents but generally they are full disclosure these days pertaining to Carfax records. As long as you aren't buying it at "Bob's Motors" rest assured they aren't trying to pull one over your head or be deceiving.

Granted, sure they will try to downplay the minor accident if there was one reported. Their job is to sell cars at the highest profit, yours is to buy at the lowest. Always a middle ground and if anything it gives you more room to negotiate on the price of the car.

However, front collision reported or "hitting a tree" would be a large turn off for me lol.
I would not count on a dealer disclosing anything. I had an Audi A6 and was hit by a hit and run driver. $24K in damage include replacement of front suspension. Local dealer wouldn't certify, couldn't sell and sent it to auction. Dealer in Atlanta picked it up at auction and sold as CPO, even though I contacted them and gave them details of accident. Many cars dealers sell, including CPO, are picked up at auction. They don't know the details of accident histories in many cases, even if they wanted to disclose.
      11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #27
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I would not count on a dealer disclosing anything. I had an Audi A6 and was hit by a hit and run driver. $24K in damage include replacement of front suspension. Local dealer wouldn't certify, couldn't sell and sent it to auction. Dealer in Atlanta picked it up at auction and sold as CPO, even though I contacted them and gave them details of accident. Many cars dealers sell, including CPO, are picked up at auction. They don't know the details of accident histories in many cases, even if they wanted to disclose.
They may not know the details of the accident, but they will know if the car has been in an accident nonetheless. Most of it is looked up by VIN these days anyway so if there is a black mark on file it will show up somewhere.

Now whether they choose to disclose it or not is up to the dealer. Most reputable dealers will disclose it. If they didn't know the extent of the accident that's one thing, but they are still responsible to disclose the Carfax with the accident reported to the buyer. I'm not saying they will know all the details. More often not. Carfax, as we all know, is often very vague. It's disclosing that there was an accident reported is what I'm referring to.

Vehicles with suspension/significant frame damage, I wouldn't think would be eligible for CPO. Not saying it doesn't happen, and there are vehicles that are repaired without ever going on file with Carfax. As you said they probably picked it up at auction and had a vague report so figured it could be CPO'ed.

Every dealership I've ever bought from however, has fully disclosed any Carfax reports on a used car. Pretty standard these days.

Bottom line if you see things like "major accident impact/frame damage reported" "Hit a tree" etc. on a Carfax....it's pretty obvious it wasn't a minor accident. Minor accidents can be anything from a minor fender bender, to a respray from rock chips.

I wouldn't let a minor accident reported by all means completely turn me away from a car, but as a potential buyer you need to be aware that any accident reported is going to effect resale, regardless of how minor it is.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 11-22-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #28
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Quote:
They may not know the details of the accident, but they will know if the car has been in an accident nonetheless. Most of it is looked up by VIN these days anyway so if there is a black mark on file it will show up somewhere.

Now whether they choose to disclose it or not is up to the dealer. Most reputable dealers will disclose it. If they didn't know the extent of the accident that's one thing, but they are still responsible to disclose the Carfax with the accident reported to the buyer. I'm not saying they will know all the details. More often not. Carfax, as we all know, is often very vague. It's disclosing that there was an accident reported is what I'm referring to.

Vehicles with suspension/significant frame damage, I wouldn't think would be eligible for CPO. Not saying it doesn't happen, and there are vehicles that are repaired without ever going on file with Carfax. As you said they probably picked it up at auction and had a vague report so figured it could be CPO'ed.

Every dealership I've ever bought from however, has fully disclosed any Carfax reports on a used car. Pretty standard these days.

Bottom line if you see things like "major accident impact/frame damage reported" "Hit a tree" etc. on a Carfax....it's pretty obvious it wasn't a minor accident. Minor accidents can be anything from a minor fender bender, to a respray from rock chips.
You are giving dealers far more credit than they deserve. Making a CarFax report available isn't really much disclosure. Anyone can get one and it is still up to the buyer to review the report whether available for free or not. I have never seen a dealer offer up any information about an accident unless I see it on the CarFax and ask about it. They count on a percentage of people thinking they are transparent by offering the CarFax and not even bothering to check it. They either don't know the history or downplay it. Zero value other than the cost of the CarFax report.

As far as CPO goes it is nothing more than a way to market warranties. A dealer certification of a car they "figure can be CPOd" is a joke. Anyone buying a CPO car should place all the value on the warranty and zero value on the "certification" performed by dealers, each of whom adhere to their own standards. Not knowing the accident history of a car because CarFax is vague is a shitty standard.
      11-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Goes both ways tbh... Someone loved tapped me in rush hour - I requested bumper to be replaced not repaired... Guy couldn't afford it out of pocket so it went through his insurance... $7xx or so for new bumper etc... Unfortunately for him, he scuffed the rear diffuser and one exhaust tip - bill went from about $1000 for just the bumper to almost $10,000 for exhaust and diffuser and dumper...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #30
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrotty View Post
I am interested in a nicely optioned 2016 M3 with just under 25,000 miles being sold by a "local" BMW dealer. My question is, with all things being equal to a car without an accident on the Carfax, what impact to the sale price does that make? 5%, 10%, other? I assume all the damage was repaired, but I have not seen the car in person yet.

Here is what the Carfax says:

Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit a tree
Vehicle ran off road
Front primarily damaged
It all depends on the accident. Ask the person to provide pictures, damage, report, what was fixed, etc. It could have been minor/cosmetic issues. If that's the case - nothing really off. If it was more serious, then you can ask for some diminished value off - but don't expect 5, 10, 15 etc. Ain't gonna really happen unless it was major damage.

NOTE: i once went to CarMax to sell my old 330xi. My car had carfax (it was hit by another driver). Damage was some body damage, and replacement of wheels/tires. Line item showed $500 depreciation...on a 17k .

Point is, don't assume worst case scenario. Car fax will report whatever is sent to it -- even minor scratches. Especially if there was an insurance claim
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #31
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are giving dealers far more credit than they deserve. Making a CarFax report available isn't really much disclosure. Anyone can get one and it is still up to the buyer to review the report whether available for free or not. I have never seen a dealer offer up any information about an accident unless I see it on the CarFax and ask about it. They count on a percentage of people thinking they are transparent by offering the CarFax and not even bothering to check it. They either don't know the history or downplay it. Zero value other than the cost of the CarFax report.

As far as CPO goes it is nothing more than a way to market warranties. A dealer certification of a car they "figure can be CPOd" is a joke. Anyone buying a CPO car should place all the value on the warranty and zero value on the "certification" performed by dealers, each of whom adhere to their own standards. Not knowing the accident history of a car because CarFax is vague is a shitty standard.
Indeed, but the point is they still offer you that report to view it at your own discretion. That is discloser whether or not you personally view to look at the information being presented to you or not.

I may be giving dealerships more credit than they deserve, but again I've always been treated great by my dealer and my client advisor. I don't share the same view that they are trying to "hide something" or be deceitful/downplay if there's an incident when I'm trying to buy a used car. Clearly I can take the time to read a Carfax that's being presented to me if I'm taking the time to go in and buy a used car. Or if I'm really that paranoid about a used car, I'd just hire an independent mechanic to inspect the vehicle before purchasing.

It's nearly impossible for them to know the full history of a used car they acquired by auction/trade anyway. If there is no insurance claim, or report...then they have no way of knowing. I'm sure a good portion of wrecked cars go under the scope as well as previous owners would rather pay out of pocket for something minor that's going to ding their resale. And are they really going to inspect every used car they get in that closely with a paint meter? Doubtful.

So again, I see what you are saying but I don't share the same view regarding most dealerships..but I guess that's like the standard saying all salesmen are crooks as well
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #32
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post
Don't be too desperate to get any car.
Best advice ever.

There is always, always something better even if it means you have to wait awhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #33
Indiana Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: Panigale 1299

What are they asking for the car and what are the details of the car? If they are asking 20k and are offering a warranty I'd take it...now if they are asking 55k that would make the decision easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #34
Indiana Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: Panigale 1299

This wouldn't happen to be her would it?

http://www.faulknerbmw.com/certified...b310a2dc1e.htm
Appreciate 0