Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #45
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That all said, if you could score one on the cheap, it seems like you could fix those issues with a little work/$$$. And you could keep the stock parts of course so as to preserve value for resale later. If depreciation has indeed somewhat bottomed out already (which is by no means a given, I understand) it might make it relatively cheap to own in the long run. I suppose if you only plan to keep it for a few short years (until the G8x M3/M4 is released, say), all of the effort might not be worth it. But it would certainly be an amazing car for someone like yourself who spends so much on the track as well as daily drives their M3/M4. And a GTS with rear seats added would actually be really cool to see.
In Canada, the M4GTS prices haven't dropped, so it is not really an option for me.

Further, I would prefer MP-HAS with EDC vs the full coil-over of the GTS to be able to switch from street and track setups at the touch of a button. I would also get rid of the obnoxious rear wing, which also implies having to replace the rear trunk lid. I also do not find the GTS' front splitter to be very appealing. And really do not like the acid orange 666M wheels. The removing the cage and adding rear seats adds up to quite a few alterations a GTS for it to suit my needs.

An M4CS with the water injected S55 and MP-HAS would have been the perfect package IMO.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #46
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
In Canada, the M4GTS prices haven't dropped, so it is not really an option for me.
I see. Hadn’t really looked into that. I know folks have imported cars from the US to Canada, though there would no doubt be warranty issues. Sounds like you would require a few more changes than I had imagined as well. Agree it boils down to too big a hassle.

Oh well. If not a GTS and, if you don’t decide to go with a CS, then at least you’ll move up to a CP. Use the money saved for HAS and some new track consumables.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #47
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

I like the idea of the CS, especially the M3 since it stands on its own. But I am one who would also rather have the M4 GTS at this price point since I don’t need the back seats. I know we’re not comparing new to new but man, the used prices on GTSs with virtually no miles being under $100k makes it much harder to pass up. I know many have expressed that they’d rather have a 911 or something else at that price point but I see it differently. I love that BMW made a car that’s set up nicely for the track, you don’t need to do anything except get your suspension settings to your preference. And it’ll likely hold up to days and years of tracking. While it’s nice to use hot lap times as a comparison, they don’t tell the whole story like how a car is performing at the end of the day after 3 or 4 hard 25 minute sessions. A car like the GTS is more likely to be running just as strong at the end as in its first, initial hot lap. Not sure all of the hot lap heroes can do the same. Porsches are very similar in this regard but to get a straight-to-the-track, do nothing model at this price point, you're looking at used 997.1 GT3s (good example .2s are still over $110k) which will probably need a lot of maintenance by now and are definitely not as fast as a GTS. Even my Turbo needs pads, fluid, better tires, alignment, camber adjustment, DSC module to name a few small items (that add up quick) to make it more track friendly.

A car like this from the factory is special imo and based on how they’ve been sitting on lots, it’s doubtful BMW will do this again any time soon.

Last edited by Rambler; 12-06-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #48
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I see. Hadn’t really looked into that. I know folks have imported cars from the US to Canada, though there would no doubt be warranty issues. Sounds like you would require a few more changes than I had imagined as well. Agree it boils down to too big a hassle.

Oh well. If not a GTS and, if you don’t decide to go with a CS, then at least you’ll move up to a CP. Use the money saved for HAS and some new track consumables.
Even if he can get a GTS in the States for 100k usd. With exchange rate, that's almost 130k cdn. Not to mention the 6% import duty that needs to be paid at the border plus other shipping and inspection fees. Still a bit of saving compared to buying locally, but not by a whole lot.
Appreciate 0