Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #23
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

F80 is a doddle in the snow. I am partly in Austria and U.K. Do lots of driving in the Alps like you may be doing.

Snow doesn't phase the car as long as winters are of good quality and not worn to the limits.

Appreciate 1
      03-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #24
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjim View Post
F80 is a doddle in the snow. I am partly in Austria and U.K. Do lots of driving in the Alps like you may be doing.

Snow doesn't phase the car as long as winters are of good quality and not worn to the limits.

Obviously it's rare that the roads are fully snow covered anyways. It's not like the infra over in the U.K. France/Germany/Austria etc Very efficient - snow clearing.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #25
Shatterproof
Private
Rep
Drives: Black F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjim View Post
Obviously it's rare that the roads are fully snow covered anyways. It's not like the infra over in the U.K. France/Germany/Austria etc Very efficient - snow clearing.
Thanks for your comments.
I've been driving to Austria for the last 6 years or so. Never got stuck once, and as you say the snow clearing and gritting is very effective.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
M3ANKeen
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterproof View Post
Hah, I'll be looking out for fellow M3 drivers on my way to the alps next year then!! Hopefully we won't all be stranded on the same stretch of motorway!!
In all fairness though, the authorities are very efficient at clearing the roads, so there's no fear of having to plough through mountains of snow.
I got stuck once on fresh snow with my sh!tty rotallas! Lucky for me a snow plough was coming past, so managed to get behind it !! Since the perellis zeros it's been no problems!

Have you got your car yet or still thinking about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #27
M3ANKeen
Rep
Drives: F80

Ahh, I see you have from your last post! ��
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #28
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterproof View Post
I'm not really worried about fuel consumption, its more the hassle of stopping to fill it up. In town its no problem, as there are so many pumps around, but when on long journeys, when you've just done 200 miles, and your range says 50 miles........................

If the car would do 350 miles, at a reasonable speed, then its not an issue for me.
Just took a trip from SF to LA over the weekend and barely squeezed out 318 miles doing 75-85 MPH with two full sized adults and about 100 lbs of gear on a full tank. Trip included a stretch with an elevation of about 4000 ft. When I filled up again, the car took 14.6 gal of fuel which gives an MPG of 21.78. No way I see you getting anywhere near 350 miles doing 90 MPH unless you are on perfectly flat roads the entire time and skip the bursts to 120-140.
Appreciate 0