Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
dailym3
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Default performance settings code?

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a code available that will allow your last selected performance settings (TC, shocks, steering, etc.) to remain as the default settings after you turn the car off? Or, if this isn't possible, is there a code that will allow you to just change the car's default settings and store your own in memory? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailym3 View Post
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a code available that will allow your last selected performance settings (TC, shocks, steering, etc.) to remain as the default settings after you turn the car off? Or, if this isn't possible, is there a code that will allow you to just change the car's default settings and store your own in memory? Thank you.
Sorry, to date there is no way to change the default startup behavior to include your customized settings.

Your only option is to continue to use your M1/M2 settings.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
dailym3
Private
Rep

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Sorry, to date there is no way to change the default startup behavior to include your customized settings.

Your only option is to continue to use your M1/M2 settings.
ah bummer. Thanks for the quick response.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Zing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
If you use your FOB buttons to unlock and lock your car, aren't all those settings recalled next time?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
dailym3
Private
Rep

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
If you use your FOB buttons to unlock and lock your car, aren't all those settings recalled next time?
No, unfortunately the car defaults back to Efficiency, Sport, Sport every time you start it. Some people say what's the big deal, you just push your M button, but to me it's silly that BMW didn't just have it default back to whatever you had it at, or at least allow you to change the default settings. It would be so simple for them to allow that, but it's just one of several little quirks with this model. Another one is how you can't link the dual zone climate control, so you always have to change both. Silly.
Appreciate 1
Huck5010.00
      05-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailym3 View Post
No, unfortunately the car defaults back to Efficiency, Sport, Sport every time you start it. Some people say what's the big deal, you just push your M button, but to me it's silly that BMW didn't just have it default back to whatever you had it at, or at least allow you to change the default settings. It would be so simple for them to allow that, but it's just one of several little quirks with this model. Another one is how you can't link the dual zone climate control, so you always have to change both. Silly.
My biggest issue is the inability to just turn off all airflow to the passenger climate zone. This either ends up with me being forced to turn off the entire climate control system and sweating. Or the passenger vents get randomly slammed (all the way up or down) in a incoherent effort to "turn them off". Or worse my passenger starts pushing random buttons in the dash in an attempt to turn the system off. I swear, i've gotten in more arguments over this then i would care to admit.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I am convinced there must be a code in the car that can change this. I had a buddy (who speaks German and also codes) look through a couple modules and he thinks he might be able to find something as well. My bet is this functionality will lie in the NBT module since that is where you change the M-drive button settings as well. I just need to find some time to go digging. I have a PSU coming in soon that I can use to explore without needing to run the engine so I may go digging then.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I am convinced there must be a code in the car that can change this. I had a buddy (who speaks German and also codes) look through a couple modules and he thinks he might be able to find something as well. My bet is this functionality will lie in the NBT module since that is where you change the M-drive button settings as well. I just need to find some time to go digging. I have a PSU coming in soon that I can use to explore without needing to run the engine so I may go digging then.
I don't get why everyone says they need a power supply to code. I've messed around for hours with no issue. We have a huge lithium battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
psedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
My biggest issue is the inability to just turn off all airflow to the passenger climate zone. This either ends up with me being forced to turn off the entire climate control system and sweating. Or the passenger vents get randomly slammed (all the way up or down) in a incoherent effort to "turn them off". Or worse my passenger starts pushing random buttons in the dash in an attempt to turn the system off. I swear, i've gotten in more arguments over this then i would care to admit.
What? Each vent has a flow control on it. It's either time to teach them or kick them out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Should anyone ever figure this out, they will received a dozen many thanks on these boards.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
It would be nice if you or your buddy found this out. Good luck, but I doubt you will, as many others have also looked.
      05-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
It would be nice if you or your buddy found this out. Good luck, but I doubt you will, as many others have also looked.
From his limited poking around on my car he identified a couple promising codes but we didn't have time to tinker.

He is picking up his F80 at the Welt in early June and once he gets it stateside I imagine he will start digging more in earnest. He is a very active coder on the e9x forums and now that he is moving to this platform I an hopeful of great things. One other thing he noted while looking through the DME is there may be code changes you can make that will change the behavior of the muffler valves too. Again, no time to test but I bet he will find something.

I cannot see why this would not feasible. Something must determine the default startup state for the M-drive settings. That parameter just needs to be found and adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
I don't get why everyone says they need a power supply to code. I've messed around for hours with no issue. We have a huge lithium battery.
I don't want to take the risk of running the battery flat and possibly killing it or a module. Both are very expensive to replace. Even if you don't brick a module when the power fails the recovery procedure is a pain as well. I prefer the peace of mind of knowing I have an indefinite power supply when making code changes to my $80k BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #14
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
From his limited poking around on my car he identified a couple promising codes but we didn't have time to tinker.

He is picking up his F80 at the Welt in early June and once he gets it stateside I imagine he will start digging more in earnest. He is a very active coder on the e9x forums and now that he is moving to this platform I an hopeful of great things. One other thing he noted while looking through the DME is there may be code changes you can make that will change the behavior of the muffler valves too. Again, no time to test but I bet he will find something.

I cannot see why this would not feasible. Something must determine the default startup state for the M-drive settings. That parameter just needs to be found and adjusted.
I hear ya, and believe me, I wish you the best of luck!

However, it's not like very experienced coders have not been scouring through this already. Someone previously mentioned seeing codes that he also thought would directly affect exhaust valve flap behavior, toyed around with them and no change occurred (drat).

It has also been postulated that the reason the startup settings behavior being so difficult to change is that these settings may be what the cars EPA certification is based upon. Might be why such settings are locked in there without the ability to be changed.

All I know is that there have been legions of coders (and vendors i'm sure) that have looked at this, and so far nobody can get to it. Like the infamous vmax setting (to remove the limiter). People know the coding parameter, know that it needs to be done with under 10 hours on the DME, people HAVE done this and yet still have been unable to lift the limiter. Some codes seem to make sense and then altering them does nothing (or not the desired behavior).

All that being said, seriously, I wish you and your buddy the best of luck with it...it certainly has to be the most requested thing that people want to code!

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
psedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm
I don't want to take the risk of running the battery flat and possibly killing it or a module. Both are very expensive to replace. Even if you don't brick a module when the power fails the recovery procedure is a pain as well. I prefer the peace of mind of knowing I have an indefinite power supply when making code changes to my $80k BMW.
I can understand that. The good news is that the car warns you before the battery is too low.
      05-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can understand that. The good news is that the car warns you before the battery is too low.
It warns you of excessive battery discharge. If you are in the middle of a coding session I would rather not have the voltage drop below nominal though.

Again, I am probably being conservative but with my rather expensive car, I prefer that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
banff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW

No one has had much luck with it, however people said that about the i3 and it IS possible now to get that to automatically go into eco pro.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

I have a feeling that the reason the car is so deterministic about putting the powertrain into Efficient mode has more to do with BMW's intent of MPG calculation in regulatory tests than with their desire to cripple the cars' owners.

Quote:
I don't think anyone (knowledgeable) says PSUs are required/recommended for coding; the recommendation for the PSU is when a software update is part of the plan.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 03:03 PM   #19
believe671
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Any updates on this?
Appreciate 0