EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #89
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
For comparison, on a similar type scale.

E90 M3 manual with compition package only.
How much fuel?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #90
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I would say the numbers certainly feel accurate... the car i drove w dct was prob 150lbs heavier given some other options... It certainly fel like it.

Thanks again
      08-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #91
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Does this really matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #92
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Well, on the mobile app you really don't have a choice.
Actually, you do have a choice. Instead of using the mobile app, use the browser, and make sure to choose the "display desktop version" at the bottom if you see the mobile version of the page, and do your editing there like you do it on your PC or laptop.
      08-30-2014, 02:28 AM   #93
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
In this years DTM Press Release, BMW said the following:

"The BMW M4 Coup itself is a prime example of intelligent, lightweight construction. The high-performance sports car weighs just 1,497 kilograms when empty that is a whole 80 kilograms less than its predecessor."

I still believe the ~3,300lbs is dry weight.
The German press release use the phrase "leergewicht", which translates to empty weight, but is the word used for curb weight.

BMW has always claimed that the 3300lbs is a DIN leergewicht. Meaning all liquids and 90% fuel. This is also the weight stated in the official EU-type approval certificate.

At some point BMW has presented a M4 that weighs 3300lbs to the independent test facility (TUV)...

It probably had:

No floor mats
No nav
Manual seats
Helium filled tires
No AC?
No "options" (including "options" you can't delete from your order...)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:50 AM   #94
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
BMW has always claimed that the 3300lbs is a DIN leergewicht. Meaning all liquids and 90% fuel. This is also the weight stated in the official EU-type approval certificate.
Thanks Boss.

Quote:
At some point BMW has presented a M4 that weighs 3300lbs to the independent test facility (TUV)...

It probably had:

No floor mats
No nav
Manual seats
Helium filled tires
No AC?
This. Well, I suppose I should say "this-ish". If we ignore the parts that are tongue-in-cheek, I think you are on the right track. However, as I said in Joe's thread, it is still not a clear path to get down to 3300 lbs.

Powerslide, you have to keep in mind that, even with no options, the US spec M3 will have equipment that is not present on a truly base specification car in absolute terms. What are those terms? I don't know exactly, and I'm not sure if we will ever be able to get an official answer, but Boss has mentioned some things that could have potentially been omitted/substituted to get to 3300 lbs. The question of whether there is genuinely another 100 lbs. to cut is still open and unanswered. That is, even if we took the lowest spec, lowest possible weight car the EU consumer can obtain from the factory through the normal sales channels, are we still going to be over 3300 lbs? And even if we hit that number, there is the philosophical question about whether it should be fair game for BMW to use such tactics to sell the car.

That all put aside for a moment, getting back to the US where you, me, and Joe live, I think the weight numbers on bmwusa's website are reasonable. No?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #95
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I would say the numbers certainly feel accurate... the car i drove w dct was prob 150lbs heavier given some other options... It certainly fel like it.

Thanks again

You have a highly tuned sense of weight in a car I would bet professional race car drivers would be hard pressed to feel 150lbs difference in extra weight on the street.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #96
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups
Slide you are buying the convertible, and you are going to cruise the top down till your hair falls off. Why the hell would you care?

DYI project just totally killed me. Beer and bitching ahead.
Oh no - this time getting the sedan - kids getting to big and too much carpooling for convertible now!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #97
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

Thanks again

You have a highly tuned sense of weight in a car I would bet professional race car drivers would be hard pressed to feel 150lbs difference in extra weight on the street.
Oh, I can't tell the difference between 150lbs, but I can between 250... my car vs an m3 I drove.
      08-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #98
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
The German press release use the phrase "leergewicht", which translates to empty weight, but is the word used for curb weight.

It probably had:

No floor mats
No nav
Manual seats
Helium filled tires
No AC?
Not necessarily disagreeing with your line of thinking, but the items you've listed aren't going to get the car to 3300# ESPECIALLY with 90% fuel.

The components that would have to be removed render the 3300# number useless.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #99
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Based upon my weighing an m4 with manual seats and some other deco tenting could hit 3300-3350 without much issue.

Or an m4 equipped like me but dry.

A lot of the 3300 pound argument comes from the interpretation that leergeweight meant DIN weight even though it translates as dry weight. It could have actually meant dry weight all along in which absolutely this car in US trim weighs 3300 pounds dry.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #100
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
How much fuel?
A little less that half a tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #101
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I think it's
Great because it's moving in the right ditection. Strippers rule!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #102
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I had an '08 sedan E90 launch M3 with only SAT radio and no sunroof & no fold down seats. Just reaffirms my suspicions that this "dramatic weight reduction" with the F80 was going to end up being more hype than anything. It's still a pig, slightly bigger and ever so slightly lighter than the E9x. Good thing it has the added power but I would still prefer the same power as the outgoing M3 in a smaller/lighter package, but who wouldn't....?
Him posting a comp package e9x m3 weighing 100 lb more makes this a pig? Did you consider your previous cars pigs as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #103
e39>all
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i sedan

Magic and sorcery
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #104
Miko M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Did he had a cloth seats??
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #105
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Quote:
EU regulations doesn't require that stuff included in the curb weight. Optional equipment are not included in the weight.

OP:

You car has electric seats I assume?

I seem to remember a member from Sweden saying that they could order the F8x with manual seats. If correct, that takes out a big chunk of weight.
Yes, the U.S. does not allow for manual seats unless perhaps ordered through individual. So I have power seats.
Wait, no manual seats? They got rid of that option in the US?

FAIL.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #106
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Does anybody have a link to where BMW claimed the F8X weighs 3,300 lbs? I see this comment a lot, but have not been able to find where BMW made this claim. As was pointed out, the weight on the BMW web site seems accurate.

Anyway, I for one don't really care if they were off on their initial claim. I'm just happy BMW shed any weight from the preceding model (a first, as we all know!).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #107
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Interesting, I was talking to a tech from Porsche yesterday and we were talking about weight. He was saying that with all of the tech being added to cars these days the total weight of the wire and electronics can exceed 1,000 lbs. I know we all want light cars but given all of the safety advances and increased reliability I am ok with weights under 3700 lbs (but prefer 3200). I was a paramedic during the 90's and early 2000's when cars were lighter and I took care of a lot of people that were severely injured in crashes that these days people walk away from (if they wear their seat belts). The data is really compelling in terms of reduction of severe injury and death, this data continues to encourage NHTSA to add more requirements (I think that is a good thing). Combine the safety advances with the performance and reliability advances and it turns out the sky is not falling after all. The fact that BMW can still reduce the weight or maintain a steady weight from between two generations is a huge achievement. I think it will be really interesting to see what happens in about 8-10 years when carbon plastics are extensively used like in the I cars. We may see pretty huge changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #108
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Does anybody have a link to where BMW claimed the F8X weighs 3,300 lbs? I see this comment a lot, but have not been able to find where BMW made this claim. As was pointed out, the weight on the BMW web site seems accurate.

Anyway, I for one don't really care if they were off on their initial claim. I'm just happy BMW shed any weight from the preceding model (a first, as we all know!).
If you mean "1497kg", here it is.

Quote:
The launch of the new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe sees BMW M GmbH revealing a new interpretation of the high-performance sports car – and carrying the BMW M philosophy over into the fifth generation of the M3. More than 40,000 examples of the fourth-generation BMW M3 Coupe were built, and now the BMW M4 Coupe is poised to continue this success story. The “M4” badge is a reference to the model series that provides the basis for the new M model – and, for the first time, the Coupe will be introduced at the same time as the four-door variant. Logic dictates the latter will be christened the BMW M3 Sedan.

“Four generations of the BMW M3 have blended motor sport genes and uncompromised everyday usability within an emotionally rich overall concept,” explains Dr Friedrich Nitschke, President BMW M GmbH. “The BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe represent an ongoing commitment to this philosophy. The engine is the heart of every M model, and the new turbocharged six-cylinder unit fitted in the two new cars combines the virtues of a high-revving naturally aspirated unit with the strengths of turbocharger technology. A committed lightweight design concept produces a weight saving of around 80 kilograms over the outgoing M3. The BMW M3 and BMW M4 take motor sport technology from the track to the road, and thousands of laps of the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife – the world’s most exacting race track – have readied the new models for that transition. Meticulous and passion-fuelled development work has underpinned the creation of two high-performance sports cars that set new standards in terms of overall concept, precision and agility.”

The high-revving six-cylinder in-line engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology newly developed for the new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe produces a maximum output of 431 hp. Its peak torque of 550 Newton metres (406 lb-ft) is available across a wide rev band and outstrips the figure recorded by the outgoing BMW M3 by roughly 40 per cent. And yet the engine also achieves a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions of around 25 per cent. Both the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe cover the sprint from 0 to 100 km/h / 62 mph in 4.1 seconds (with the optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission).

In the interests of maximising dynamic ability and ensuring excellent efficiency, weight savings of around 80 kilograms have been achieved over a comparably equipped predecessor model. The BMW M4 Coupe, for example, has a DIN kerb weight of 1,497 kilograms, thanks to the rigorous application of intelligent lightweight design measures. These include the increased use of lightweight materials such as carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) and aluminium for a number of chassis and body components. Indeed, both models feature a carbon roof.

One of the primary objectives in the development of the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe was to ensure the new cars offered impressive race track capability. Hence the presence of a track-specification cooling system, which ensures that the optimum temperature balance for the engine, turbochargers and transmission is maintained at all times.
In order to accentuate the racing character of the two models in terms of both their technical composition and the fine-tuning of the cars, the engineers worked closely with BMW Motorsport’s professional racing drivers during the development phase. For example, DTM drivers Bruno Spengler and Timo Glock took part in the extensive testing and set-up work carried out at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife circuit.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__7309
      08-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #109
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Based upon my weighing an m4 with manual seats and some other deco tenting could hit 3300-3350 without much issue.
Willing to try and see?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #110
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks Boss.

This. Well, I suppose I should say "this-ish". If we ignore the parts that are tongue-in-cheek, I think you are on the right track. However, as I said in Joe's thread, it is still not a clear path to get down to 3300 lbs.

Powerslide, you have to keep in mind that, even with no options, the US spec M3 will have equipment that is not present on a truly base specification car in absolute terms. What are those terms? I don't know exactly, and I'm not sure if we will ever be able to get an official answer, but Boss has mentioned some things that could have potentially been omitted/substituted to get to 3300 lbs. The question of whether there is genuinely another 100 lbs. to cut is still open and unanswered. That is, even if we took the lowest spec, lowest possible weight car the EU consumer can obtain from the factory through the normal sales channels, are we still going to be over 3300 lbs? And even if we hit that number, there is the philosophical question about whether it should be fair game for BMW to use such tactics to sell the car.

That all put aside for a moment, getting back to the US where you, me, and Joe live, I think the weight numbers on bmwusa's website are reasonable. No?
I think what you are saying is theoretically possible - US spec cars are undoubtedly going to contain more "standard" content than euro-spec cars, hence the greater weight.

Again - I'm not saying it is impossible for a 3300 lb M4. All I'm saying is if a US-spec "stripper" M3 is 3450 lbs, than a US-spec M4 stripper should, in theory, be 3,400 lbs. I would love to know how on earth even a euro spec car could shave another 100 lbs off - I just find it hard to imagine how the difference between euro spec and U.S. spec could possibly be 100 lbs... If it were 20, 30, even 50 lbs, maybe....
Appreciate 0