EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

NY owners with tint, what are you doing for NYS inspection?

Was informed my tint will not pass inspection even though it was legal % when I had it installed.

I know I could have it removed but that's a lot of money wasted. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm in NYC area.
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
Was informed my tint will not pass inspection even though it was legal % when I had it installed.

I know I could have it removed but that's a lot of money wasted. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm in NYC area.
Impossible. There is no legal % in NY. This is the big misconception about this "law". There has never been anything in NY state legal beyond the standard 70% that is what the standard glass is rated.

The only thing you can do legally in NY is put any % on your rear windshield as long as you have 2 side view mirrors. Non PAS vehicles like SUVs are exempt from the rear windows.

I have heard of places not checking (not dealerships - but if they're shady enough to do that, I'd worry with leaving them with my car), heard of some people slipping some bills, I have heard of people saying that their windows don't work and have them do the inspection with windows rolled down (window operation not required for passing NYS inspection), and I have heard of people removing and reinstalling.

I just didn't get my new F80 tinted because of this nonsense. My first vehicle in a decade without tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
M4YHEM
hokage
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

tint is a difficult thing in NYC rite now i have 70% all the way around even my windshield. if your cool with an inspection place they may pass you. some will turn you down rite away because of hip drastic things are getting in the streets now tints aren't just a ticket anymore its a full on summons + more. my uncle owns one god forbid i needed him to pass the car he would but also know his license for inspection is on the line to.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Called my tint shop and they are giving me a break on replacing what I have with something that will pass.

I wont have the darker look but lighter tint will still keep the car cool and the leather somewhat protected.

I'd rather have the car be legal so I'm not hassled by police or looking for a shady shop, but it sucks to have spent the money on something I need to remove (only been on there for 2 years, oh well)
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Called my tint shop and they are giving me a break on replacing what I have with something that will pass.

I wont have the darker look but lighter tint will still keep the car cool and the leather somewhat protected.

I'd rather have the car be legal so I'm not hassled by police or looking for a shady shop, but it sucks to have spent the money on something I need to remove (only been on there for 2 years, oh well)
But 70% is the natural tint on the glass. 70% = no tint. Your "guy" is going to just be putting on something practically clear
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Quote:

But 70% is the natural tint on the glass. 70% = no tint. Your "guy" is going to just be putting on something practically clear
Yea, I don't care about the dark look, I want to keep the car cool and protect my leather.
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I don't care about the dark look, I want to keep the car cool and protect my leather.
But if you're not changing the light transmittance, I'm not sure what a film is doing for you.

How about you just do what I'm doing, and send Cuomo a letter daily until the law gets put on someone's desk for revision. Anyone else with me?
Appreciate 1