Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

10-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
luckyduck
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

It's a blend

I am lucky enough to have owned or driven a few cars to compare to the GTS. I'll start by saying that I got the allocation so took delivery with the intent to re-sell. I am not so sure now. Here is why.

It is a much better looking car in person and I was lucky to get mine for $135K so I am in at a fair level. I have long been a Porsche guy and currently own two cars. A 98 C2S and a 944T track car. I also have a 2012 M6. I have driven many other Porsche's, the most recent being a GT4 and 2007 RS, on track.

This car is interesting. It is certainly drivable on the street as the ride is taught but not uncomfortable. As far as being a daily driver, well, not for me. I think the looks are a bit over the top for a DD. Kind of "look at me, please".

I have not yet had it on the track but have driven with spirit on some fun back roads with a few Porsche friends. It is plenty quick with little turbo lag and some real fun sound. It jumped around a little like my C2S, which frightens some, but I love how light it feels. It seems stable in turns but not enough time to tell. It has more pep than the GT4 and a bit firmer ride. Steering about the same. Connected with solid feedback and no hint of lag ( my M6 is terrible in this department, no matter the setting).

The features ( cage, ceramic brakes, wing, splitter, Alcantara bits, carbon fiber bits, rims, exhaust, adjustable suspension) for the price are simply amazing. Porsche can't deliver for that price, or at least the prices in my area for the GT4. The GT3 is more car, but not for the same price.

So the GTS fills in a gap and from where I sit ( the drivers seat) is a strong value. If I keep it I will track it, if I decide to sell it then I will leave that to the next owner.

Overall, well done BMW, and all that are waiting I think you will be pleased.

attached is a pic. Sapphire Black Metallic

Oh, closing the hood is a PIA. Passenger side does not like to connect.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf gt4.pdf (315.5 KB, 96 views)
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #24
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

The proper way is to slam the hood down from the halfway point. Once you practice a few times, it works like magic. Don't try to push on it to close it because you run the risk of cracking the carbon fiber.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #25
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

OK, so after about 700 miles so far, I’ll give an update. The quick summary is, BMW nailed it! This car is exactly what they promised and more.

First, to the naysayers. No, it’s not as beautiful as a Ferrari. No it’s not as fast on the track as a Porsche Cup car or highly modded and stripped out BMW. No, it’s not as cushy as a Bentley. But, like most Porsches, it strikes an AMAZING blend of all of those things.

Looks: Obviously subjective but in person, I find the car gorgeous. The hood is so sexy, the details from the lights to the functional vents to carbon fiber and yes, even the honking rear wing, all just work for me. They are special and yet, very importantly to me, the car is overall understated enough that non-car folks don’t look twice. I am not an extrovert. I don’t want the entire world gawking as I drive by (think Red Ferrari). But I don’t mind the thumbs up from true car folks and the excitement on kids faces when they see it. This car can be used without people hating you and I love the looks. Perfect balance

Performance: Really tight and superb. This car feels so light and agile, so tight on the steering, throttle, and brakes that you feel you are guiding it with your mind. I am not past break in yet so I haven’t driven it in anger yet but you can really tell, even without that. The feel of the controls is just wonderful.This car ‘goes to 11’ in terms of feel. I have a friend who has driven my GT4 and this car and he was blown away by the BMW far more than the Porsche. Will it have the fastest lap times? That depends but as it is equipped from the factory, it is damn fast. And, as Captain Unknown so aptly states, I would wager that everyone who owns this car will leave some time on the table, regardless of experience. (Note, I am a PCA national instructor and that includes me). However, if you really want to push it to get those last few tenths, you will need to invest time and effort. Also note that even the mighty GT4, GT3 and GT3 RS are not really track ready from the factory. You couldn’t even get close to the right amount of negative camber on the GT4 without rear toe links and front tie rod ends and even still, the springs are not stiff enough from the factory to keep folks from destroying the outer edge of the front tires. BMW has at least included all of the adjustability from the factory AND had the balls to deliver the car, aligned and corner balanced with street and track settings. Wow! Porsche meanwhile delivers all of their GT cars with completely out of whack alignments.

Comfort: Here is where the real magic is. You can carp on the fact that as a race car, they have made significant compromises for the street and you would be right. However, that is exactly the mission of this car. This car is the ULTIMATE compromise. Anyone who buys it to have the absolute fastest lap time bought the wrong car (again, see Porsche Cup Car). However, I would submit that most people that buy this car (me included) want a car with an extremely high level of track capability but also want the car to be street legal and usable. That could be because it is easier to get to the shop for work without having to trailer it or because they want to be able to enjoy their new toy on a beautiful weekend day when they are not going to the track, or heaven forbid, they just want to tool around town doing errands in it because they can. In all of these capacities, the car is absolutely amazing. A true technological masterpiece. Porsche has always been really good at this compromise and if that was BMW’s mark, again, they nailed it. (I’ve owned 4 P-cars over the years so I have a direct comparison). This car, for the money, and for it’s flexibility in so many aspects, is a home run for BMW.
Appreciate 5
PNWM3535.00
Rasya36.50
Bokke573.50
      10-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #26
Rasya
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M; 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2005 BMW e60 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr265
OK, so after about 700 miles so far, I’ll give an update. The quick summary is, BMW nailed it! This car is exactly what they promised and more.

First, to the naysayers. No, it’s not as beautiful as a Ferrari. No it’s not as fast on the track as a Porsche Cup car or highly modded and stripped out BMW. No, it’s not as cushy as a Bentley. But, like most Porsches, it strikes an AMAZING blend of all of those things.

Looks: Obviously subjective but in person, I find the car gorgeous. The hood is so sexy, the details from the lights to the functional vents to carbon fiber and yes, even the honking rear wing, all just work for me. They are special and yet, very importantly to me, the car is overall understated enough that non-car folks don’t look twice. I am not an extrovert. I don’t want the entire world gawking as I drive by (think Red Ferrari). But I don’t mind the thumbs up from true car folks and the excitement on kids faces when they see it. This car can be used without people hating you and I love the looks. Perfect balance

Performance: Really tight and superb. This car feels so light and agile, so tight on the steering, throttle, and brakes that you feel you are guiding it with your mind. I am not past break in yet so I haven’t driven it in anger yet but you can really tell, even without that. The feel of the controls is just wonderful.This car ‘goes to 11’ in terms of feel. I have a friend who has driven my GT4 and this car and he was blown away by the BMW far more than the Porsche. Will it have the fastest lap times? That depends but as it is equipped from the factory, it is damn fast. And, as Captain Unknown so aptly states, I would wager that everyone who owns this car will leave some time on the table, regardless of experience. (Note, I am a PCA national instructor and that includes me). However, if you really want to push it to get those last few tenths, you will need to invest time and effort. Also note that even the mighty GT4, GT3 and GT3 RS are not really track ready from the factory. You couldn’t even get close to the right amount of negative camber on the GT4 without rear toe links and front tie rod ends and even still, the springs are not stiff enough from the factory to keep folks from destroying the outer edge of the front tires. BMW has at least included all of the adjustability from the factory AND had the balls to deliver the car, aligned and corner balanced with street and track settings. Wow! Porsche meanwhile delivers all of their GT cars with completely out of whack alignments.

Comfort: Here is where the real magic is. You can carp on the fact that as a race car, they have made significant compromises for the street and you would be right. However, that is exactly the mission of this car. This car is the ULTIMATE compromise. Anyone who buys it to have the absolute fastest lap time bought the wrong car (again, see Porsche Cup Car). However, I would submit that most people that buy this car (me included) want a car with an extremely high level of track capability but also want the car to be street legal and usable. That could be because it is easier to get to the shop for work without having to trailer it or because they want to be able to enjoy their new toy on a beautiful weekend day when they are not going to the track, or heaven forbid, they just want to tool around town doing errands in it because they can. In all of these capacities, the car is absolutely amazing. A true technological masterpiece. Porsche has always been really good at this compromise and if that was BMW’s mark, again, they nailed it. (I’ve owned 4 P-cars over the years so I have a direct comparison). This car, for the money, and for it’s flexibility in so many aspects, is a home run for BMW.
Perfect summary! It is flawed in every way yet so perfect in all of its flaws
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Johnr265, you put it out so well in regards of al them Porsche GT cars need some tweeks and change of toe rod etc to work well. This M4 GTS is very sweet in that way, it is working al area of front and rear tire. Wich in the end make it very easy to drive and stay on sweet spot tire pressure and temp. Also when car drop down to track-setting camber and toe go with to more aggressive race setting. And you go up or down in street or race setting we need no alignment😊
This car is very special, its way superior than my GT4 also how GTS just run them track curbs and you hardly feel it. Much more relaxed and superior chassi vs GT4. Go curb in that its very harsh and not as well damped as M4 GTS.

Also the aero, you feel it more in GTS vs GT4. On wet Max rear aero in GTS make it very stick in rain, also front, that splitter is sweet and no understeer even in rain. This car is very special 👍
I belive its only a matter of time before al people also will understand how special and well developed this car is. We who own it know, but al them negative people not own One will in the end also understand how special and god GTS is.

It also feels like it can handle a hard time on track, there is no slack, its tight and hard. Did 20 wet and 20 dry laps at SPA, and many people was asking what is that, a M4? Yes a M4 that hang with most supercars at track👌

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 10-16-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #28
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
So far all the owners say good things. Why then the reviews are not so positive. Any insight?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
So far all the owners say good things. Why then the reviews are not so positive. Any insight?
First, I would say few are going to get the real feel of the car driving it for a short period of time. Second, who cares what automotive journalists say? I would always rather hear from owners than journalists who I am pretty confident will never own one or drive one again.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #30
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
First, I would say few are going to get the real feel of the car driving it for a short period of time. Second, who cares what automotive journalists say? I would always rather hear from owners than journalists who I am pretty confident will never own one or drive one again.
I agree. Just curious
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #31
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I don't know, Auto Motor und Sport just released the super test, and they were pretty darn impressed, and they are pretty much the gold standard on metrics.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:32 AM   #32
Bimmernuts
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 f10 m5 - m4 gts

I own an m4 Gts that is now broken in and I have driven an m2 round the track. The Gts is mental quick like traction control light bouncing all over the place through the first 4 gears. The m2 has nowhere near the power or balance at high speeds or feels as pinned to the road.

I personally think that journalists are quite rightly celebrating the m2 as a small light car with a short wheelbase that is fun to drive every day. I can't argue with that at all in fact I agree. But to argue that cars are as quick in the bmw lineup as the Gts or as rewarding to drive fast is way off. It's too much to drive every day but it as sharp a tool as possible I assure you.

As for whether the Gts beats every car out there in every test going vs the top American cars that are priced differently or vs the mclarens in the other tests being done and how much weight is assigned to the journalists decision making process depending on the price of it is up for debate.

the Gts is a weapon 100% but would Defo be a bit much for every day driving. It's very expensive but who cares I doubt anyone will lose much money on one.

The m2 is a great all round car that you could drive all the time and feels like a proper sports car - good work bmw.

So at the risk of starting another war .... Isn't this like asking someone to choose between a Cayman and a gt3 ? I know why someone would choose either except no one is getting their knickers in a twist about it. Why does everyone want to criticise bmw for having the same in their lineup? Lol
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      10-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #33
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernuts View Post
I own an m4 Gts that is now broken in and I have driven an m2 round the track. The Gts is mental quick like traction control light bouncing all over the place through the first 4 gears. The m2 has nowhere near the power or balance at high speeds or feels as pinned to the road.

I personally think that journalists are quite rightly celebrating the m2 as a small light car with a short wheelbase that is fun to drive every day. I can't argue with that at all in fact I agree. But to argue that cars are as quick in the bmw lineup as the Gts or as rewarding to drive fast is way off. It's too much to drive every day but it as sharp a tool as possible I assure you.

As for whether the Gts beats every car out there in every test going vs the top American cars that are priced differently or vs the mclarens in the other tests being done and how much weight is assigned to the journalists decision making process depending on the price of it is up for debate.

the Gts is a weapon 100% but would Defo be a bit much for every day driving. It's very expensive but who cares I doubt anyone will lose much money on one.

The m2 is a great all round car that you could drive all the time and feels like a proper sports car - good work bmw.

So at the risk of starting another war .... Isn't this like asking someone to choose between a Cayman and a gt3 ? I know why someone would choose either except no one is getting their knickers in a twist about it. Why does everyone want to criticise bmw for having the same in their lineup? Lol
I own an M2 and I can reassure you the M2 is not in the same league as the M4GTS: two different cars with 2 different purposes.

I totally agree with you that M4GTS should be compared to the Porsche GT3.