R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

DCT in the snow

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Really want to check DCT this time around just for something different. M3 is my daily driver and it's generally a blast in snow. But occasionally the deep stuff posses some challenges that I struggle to see myself navigating without a clutch pedal.

Like to hear from anyone who's switched from MT to DCT in snow country.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducfan View Post
Really want to check DCT this time around just for something different. M3 is my daily driver and it's generally a blast in snow. But occasionally the deep stuff posses some challenges that I struggle to see myself navigating without a clutch pedal.

Hi, I'm from Moscow, Russia. I got the 1M MT and just ordered the M3 DCT.
There are a lot of people here in Moscow and in St. Petersburg that have M3e92 DCT and have no problem with it all aruond the year.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I drive my e92 M3 DCT in snow - no problems all all.
      03-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I made the switch fairly seamlessly in 2008 when I went from an E46 M3 6MT to and E93 M3 M-DCT.

Without more detail, I am assuming your fears are in the area of being able to switch quickly between first gear (or any forward gear, technically) and reverse in the event you get stuck and need to rock the car back and forth to get loose. Is that your primary concern? If so, be assured that you can easily do that with the DCT. It lets you switch between the two quick enough such that the revs don't drop too much in between shifts. I became stuck in a deep snow drift over my street once earlier this winter and was able to use this technique to free the car.

Also, be aware that the DCT will let you put the car in neutral any time you wish. While stopped you just click the lever to the left, and while moving you just hold it to the left for a moment. You can rev the engine up and drop it back in gear though I can't say I have experimented with this enough to know all of the limitations. I am sure that if you do it from a stop it will cut revs before engaging one of the clutches. So it does have a number of measures to prevent you from doing high RPM clutch-drops but I've not found myself in a situation yet where I needed to be able to do that.

Overall it's a very robust transmission and shifting interface combination.

Quote:

Appreciate 2
      03-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

I get a trip out of mkoesel's mod list in the sig every time I see it! I know I'm new, but I'm just saying!!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Ducfan
Private
Rep

Thanks all, that's encouraging. Now I just have to decide that DCT is the type of fun I want....versus MT
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
dct in canada no issues, didnt get stuck once of course good wintertires is a must
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Drove an E46 with SMG through 5 winters without issue, including some bad storms. I prefer the feeling of more control a manual gives, but having a DCT will not give you any issues.
      03-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I think the DCT in the snow is very good. I would not worry about doing a neutral to gear to get revs. I find the the MDM is great int eh snow. Gigs you some wheel spin and drifting ability to get going and get around a corner when you pushing through. You can also turn of tracking control completely if you are looking for unlimited amount of wheel spin. The only disadvantage I can say is you cannot easily put the car in N In a situation where you want to disconnect the motor from the driveline(motor drag causing the wheels to slide in icy or slick condition).

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Wink

Snow tires/80 lbs salt in trunk(improves weight balance and handling on dry roads)/ traction control off/DCT-floored it and got unstuck with snow two inches above front bumper- of course tore up underbody shields but thats una voidable.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Ducfan
Private
Rep

I didn't even think to mention it but yes, I always run winter tires in the winter. I've just not lived with a DCT yet and was interested in direct comparo of tranny given all else equal.

Couple things made me wonder...for one I can't stand the traction control in any setting on my e90 M3 either on snow or dry pavement. Find it much easier to find traction and make progress with it completely off. But there can be no completely off with DCT right? Somewhere a computer is deciding how to engage clutch, always.....isn't there?

Btw to any that don't think of the M for winter.....my M3 on winters is as good or better than my wife's X5 on no-seasons, save for maybe a deep drift where clearance gets me. And a lot more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Hi, I'm from Moscow, Russia. I got the 1M MT and just ordered the M3 DCT.
There are a lot of people here in Moscow and in St. Petersburg that have M3e92 DCT and have no problem with it all aruond the year.
Moscow is stop-n-go traffic most of the time. So you end up driving in the slush, instead of powder.
      03-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Couple things made me wonder...for one I can't stand the traction control in any setting on my e90 M3 either on snow or dry pavement. Find it much easier to find traction and make progress with it completely off.
You've got some nerves of steel if you are going TC-free in the winter. I do that when I want to be a teenager for a minute in a parking lot, but don't think I have the guts to drive in traffic without DCT on.

Quote:
But there can be no completely off with DCT right? Somewhere a computer is deciding how to engage clutch, always.....isn't there?
To the best of my knowledge, the traction control system does not make use of the transmission, just the throttle and brakes. The only time the car holds both clutches open that I know of is when you've come to a complete stop. When driving - DSC on or off - you'll never be in a situation where the engine is disconnected from the wheels (unless you shift to neutral on your own accord).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You've got some nerves of steel if you are going TC-free in the winter. I do that when I want to be a teenager for a minute in a parking lot, but don't think I have the guts to drive in traffic without DCT on.

To the best of my knowledge, the traction control system does not make use of the transmission, just the throttle and brakes. The only time the car holds both clutches open that I know of is when you've come to a complete stop. When driving - DSC on or off - you'll never be in a situation where the engine is disconnected from the wheels (unless you shift to neutral on your own accord).
When driving in very slippery conditions and abruptly lifting off the throttle, the engine compression can cause the rear wheels to lock-up. In such a case I have experienced the DCT to disengage both clutches.

When there is a significant amount of snow on the ground, I also preferred to drive with DSC off. DSC would just slow the car down too much. Since I had my car coded with Euro MDM, I find it, combined with DCT in S2, to be the Goldilocks setting for winter. Just enough leeway and tire spin to get good traction and be able to slide the tail into position while maintaining a safety net.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-03-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
When driving in very slippery conditions and abruptly lifting off the throttle, the engine compression can cause the rear wheels to lock-up. In such a case I have experienced the DCT to disengage both clutches.
Interesting you mention that situation because I had that happen to me a few times this winter and did not notice the clutches disengage. Instead I noticed the car get all squirrelly (oh shit!) and then settle once the the engine speed caught up. Gotta believe the automatic braking application of the DSC saved me there before the clutch ever needed to be disengaged. Certainly possible though, and I admit I hadn't thought of this scenario with my initial post.

Maybe it's the higher slip angles allowed by MDM that more commonly leads to this scenario. I do know the car will disengage the clutches if it spins, or probably even if it thinks a spin is about to occur.

Quote:
When there is a significant amount of snow on the ground, I also preferred to drive with DSC off. DSC would just slow the car down too much.
I must be accustomed to it I suppose, because I never find it slowing me down. I've experimented with trying to get better launches from a stop with it off but was never able to do appreciably better, so I figure it's easier to just leave it on. And while moving, I can't imagine doing half of the high speed maneuvers I do in snow if I turned it off. I've gotten very used to being able travel over snow packed highways and expressways quickly to move around the excruciating slow herds of traffic. It kicks in all the time, and though I realize that means I am technically driving in a less than proper manner, I have come to use it to my advantage. Perhaps not a good habit, I realize, but what can I say.

Quote:
Since I had my car coded with Euro MDM, I find it, combined with DCT in S2, to be the Goldilocks setting for winter. Just enough leeway and tire spin to get good traction and be able to slide the tail into position while maintaining a safety net.
I should turn in my man card for not having MDM of any sort. By the time the wizards of M3Post finally figured out how to do retrofits for non-iDrive MDrive, I just didn't feel I'd own car long enough to really justify it. I guess it's just me being lazy. Maybe I'll jump on it this summer if I feel the need to tinker.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Back on point here: I am considering DCT, but winter driving is a big ? for me. I need the nuanced feel from a clutch to get at just the exact point where tires are going to lose traction. I need to disengage/engage power to the wheels instantly and exactly the right amount.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Ducfan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I guess this is what I'm curious about and can't quite come to be comfortable just how DCT is intervening and when. I seems it would have to disengage clutch before coming to a stop...I.e. Or engine would need to approach zero rpm just before the stop - which doesn't seem right. Without traditional torque converter it would have to be a trans computer issued commanded based on wheel speed, throttle and brake etc etc......I would think??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I guess this is what I'm curious about and can't quite come to be comfortable just how DCT is intervening and when. I seems it would have to disengage clutch before coming to a stop...I.e. Or engine would need to approach zero rpm just before the stop - which doesn't seem right. Without traditional torque converter it would have to be a trans computer issued commanded based on wheel speed, throttle and brake etc etc......I would think??
I have had my E92 DCT M3 through 6 Canadian winter with no issues. It drives perfectly fine. Don't worry.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The transmission control unit is indeed made aware of the drive wheel speed (or at least output shaft speed) and automatically disengages the clutches once you've come to a stop. It also downshifts for you if you don't do so yourself (I almost always do, however) when you reach a sufficiently slow speed so as to avoid under rev and subsequent stall. It's very good at these two things, by the way (though the original software did have bugs in this area). I've never had the car stall, but at the same time, never had it fail to give me control of the drive wheels the moment I ask for it. These features are not technically related to DSC but I can understand why they are an area of concern for those who are coming from a manual transmission, especially in the context of low traction situations.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

didnt read all responses but i'll counterpoint those who are supporting DCT in the snow.

DCT is drastically inferior to MT in the snow for very low traction situations.

I am in Canada and have Blizzaks and no i havent been stuck even once in the car in the two winters that i've driven it like this but MT still provides more control over the car and this will be most evident at a stop if you need to rock the car back and forth.

In an MT car you can really rock the car with the clutch and feel everything. Not only does the DCT not give you the same feel and response but if you have the door open and or no seatbelt while rocking the car (which is sometimes necessary) you will not be able to get the car in gear in this situation. the car will stay in neutral and if it does go into gear it will immediately go back into neutral.

maybe there is a way to override this with some custom coding but when i first got the car (in December) and before i put the Blizzaks on i found this very frustrating just trying to move the car around in the driveway in modest snow.

now that doesnt mean DCT isn't totally drivable in the winter, it is if you have good tires and are a good driver, but DCT does have its limitations compared to a MT in some cases.

That said, DCT is still the way to go on the car and this is coming from someone who was an ardent MT driver prior to this... the E9X M3 is the first non MT car i have ever bought and i will be staying with DCT on each M3 in the future.
      03-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
Benjamin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camry

with snow tires you'll be fine get something like blizacks. A good traction control system helps a lot along with stability control the car will be like magic.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Just coming off the second most snow for a single winter season in Chicago recorded history - DCT handled it like a champ!!! Still need to have snow tires and exercise common sense, but that being said, you truly need to have very deep snow and almost sheer ice before you'll have any problems!
Appreciate 0