proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #67
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I saw these same two beauties at the Calgary Auto Show. They have a few pre-production quirks. For instance the M4 (didn't look in the M3's) engine bay has metal jobber bracing instead of the CF and the M logos on the seats didn't illuminate. The Calgary presenters were super friendly with me and let me pretty much do anything but start them - including listening to the stereo. I felt sorry for some of the display models at the show having to endure mayhem munchkins reefing on door handles to try to get in the cars to be able to destroy the interiors. I didn't blame the BMW fellows for keeping the doors locked but they were very accomadating to anyone who might be a serious buyer. Telling them I had one on order and that I wanted to make sure that I wanted the M4 over the M3 got me pretty good access.

I came away with a deep conviction that I had made the right choice with the M4 and plunking my behind in the driver's seat for about an hour sure helped. Coupe sins were pretty muted in that the door was easy to open and the seat belt was easy to grab. There is no seat belt delivery thingee in these models which is all right by me. The seat, armrests and everything else felt custom made for me and that made me pretty happy that I didn't screw up buying a car without every having sat in it.

For the M3 crowd, the driver's seat felt more closed in with the smaller door than the M4 and it felt more like the car shrink wrapped around you when you sat in it. The M4, by contrast, felt more open and airy with the elongated door and the B pillar set further back. So though the M3 is supposed to be the better people hauler of the two, sitting in the M3 made you feel more like it was just you and the car. I forgot however to check the rear view in both cars and I am wondering if anyone found that the slopped window in the M4 cut off rearward visibility somewhat?
It is just a guess, but maybe it is the Silverstone interior that made the M4 seem more open and airy to you compared to the M3.

In Montreal, we had the exact opposite colours for the M3 and M4 that you had in Calgary/Vancouver. To me, the AY M4, with its black interior, felt much more cramped in than the YMB M3 with the Silverstone interior that felt nice and airy. The M4 rear quarters felt especially cramped in all black as there is not a single colour accent in the back with the all black option.

The rear quarters of the M4 are definitely more cramped than the rear quarters of the E92 M3. I sit comfortably in the back seat of my E92 with plenty of head room to spare. My head was rubbing on the roof in the back of the M4. The lower and sloping roof line can definitely be felt. There was no such issue in the M3 though.

I usually prefer black interiors, but going back and forth between the two cars for over an hour got me to decide on the Silverstone interior for my M4 because it feels so much airier.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #68
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

To me silverstone is much nicer looking and shows off the good interior design and excellent new seats of the new m cars.

Good decision
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #69
Ringtaxi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Is that a turning signal light in the side mirrors ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #70
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It is just a guess, but maybe it is the Silverstone interior that made the M4 seem more open and airy to you compared to the M3.

In Montreal, we had the exact opposite colours for the M3 and M4 that you had in Calgary/Vancouver. To me, the AY M4, with its black interior, felt much more cramped in than the YMB M3 with the Silverstone interior that felt nice and airy. The M4 rear quarters felt especially cramped in all black as there is not a single colour accent in the back with the all black option.

The rear quarters of the M4 are definitely more cramped than the rear quarters of the E92 M3. I sit comfortably in the back seat of my E92 with plenty of head room to spare. My head was rubbing on the roof in the back of the M4. The lower and sloping roof line can definitely be felt. There was no such issue in the M3 though.

I usually prefer black interiors, but going back and forth between the two cars for over an hour got me to decide on the Silverstone interior for my M4 because it feels so much airier.
What exterior colour did you go with? I wanted to keep the Oreo cookie theme going with MW and black. Did you form any impressions on rearward visibility in the two? Perhaps you don't give a sh** because anything in your rearview is going to be fading from view. Lastly, how tall are you re headroom in the back of the M4? As an aside the headroom in the rear of the RS5 that I took a gander at at the show looked miserable - only slightly better than the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #71
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
So though the M3 is supposed to be the better people hauler of the two, sitting in the M3 made you feel more like it was just you and the car.
This is interesting.. M3 is undoubtedly the better people hauler due to the more spacious rear seating... however I would imagine the front passenger area is equivalent in both the M3 and M4.. could be an illusional effect you are experiencing with the longer doors/windows and a B-pillar that is pushed rearwards in the M4

I came into this scene with my eyes set on the M4 but recently I have been disliking the proportions.. and the M3 has been tickling my fancy more so
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #72
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
This is interesting.. M3 is undoubtedly the better people hauler due to the more spacious rear seating... however I would imagine the front passenger area is equivalent in both the M3 and M4.. could be an illusional effect you are experiencing with the longer doors/windows and a B-pillar that is pushed rearwards in the M4

I came into this scene with my eyes set on the M4 but recently I have been disliking the proportions.. and the M3 has been tickling my fancy more so
Definitely an illusion created by the B pillars being pushed back. I'm taller with longer legs so I usually have the seats back further and would notice it more I think. The proportions have to work for you but the proportions of the M4 is what I fell in love with.
      03-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #73
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
What exterior colour did you go with? I wanted to keep the Oreo cookie theme going with MW and black. Did you form any impressions on rearward visibility in the two? Perhaps you don't give a sh** because anything in your rearview is going to be fading from view. Lastly, how tall are you re headroom in the back of the M4? As an aside the headroom in the rear of the RS5 that I took a gander at at the show looked miserable - only slightly better than the Cayman.
I am going with Silverstone on Silverstone. I find the Silverstone interior has quite enough black in it to prevent from being too light. It almost feels like a black interioir with Silverstone accents. I have an all black interior in my E92 M3 with the silverblade trim line. The silverblade spans across the entire dash, the front doors armrest and rear quarter panel arm rests. Further, the Premium sound speakers have silver rims. This all gives nice contrasting touches to the all black interior of the E92. It is not the case in the F8X though, all you get in the back is black, which makes it very austere IMO.

Silverstone might not be the best choice for MW though. Have you thought of SO with MW and the black wheels. I personnaly really dig that combo .

I am 5'9", and yes, it was tight in the back of the M4.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-30-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #74
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Damn you Sir Loin, because of you I have to find Canada! Tomorrow I will (for the first time) use the navigation system of that engineer dream in the garage, and I will take a long needed road trip up there. According to Americans, I will have no problems, because I'm used to wrestle polar bears, so if I find a parking place, the car show will have one pissed visitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #75
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Lups, look forward to your write up!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #76
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Lups, look forward to your write up!
Yes, me too. It's really funny to read the stuff I write, my written English sucks big time. The saddest part is that my brain seems to work like Google translator, so if most of the words translate the right way, I don't spot the problem at all. My old English teacher, Mrs L would have had me in detention for hours if she had read even half of the stuff i write.

Well, my excuse is that this is my third language, so all I should know is how to say thank you. Which I wont say to you, dear Sir, because of you I will end up in Mexico tomorrow. I always rebel against a female giving me directions, reminds me too much of childhood.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #77
TheJerseyDon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30M3,GTI,718GTS

Any details on how much and ordering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Oops, forgot to post this one, for people interested in other caliper colors.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #78
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

I think they were there for the 3/4Series, officially. But looks like they would fit the new M cars with regular brakes, so I took a picture of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #79
Lups
Rep

I made it! I found Canada all by myself, and even back here. To many this would not be a reason to celebrate, but this was the first time while using a navigator, I went where I was supposed to go! I keep arguing with them, and I'm so stubborn I always take the option not recommended.

Well, first of all, I have to say, that the Canadians are the best! they work on metric system, and they have a sense of humor, and when I lost my way totally, one even found me a map from his truck. I may have to go there again, if I can spot the right highway again.

Then to the show. I here by take back my positive comments on the smurf. I will not be able to live with it, and hell will freeze over before that will end up in my garage. I have to say, that my brain always had twisted it in to a shade darker color, and that was enough for me. I tried to picture it with the carbon fiber roof and all, but the sad truth is, that that color is too girly for me (and till I finally give up, I'm a specimen of the wrong sex when it comes to buyers of these).

I'm sorry to say this, but without more space to see the cars, and in that light, the M3 stole the show. I'm sure the 4 has more presence in some other color, and with less kids running around it, but today and only on this forum I will confess doing the wrong choice in two things. I think the 3 looked meaner, and beefier, and I'm not sure it's all because of that smurf poop.

I don't know if someone else has a thing for the (they might be called side mirrors) mirrors, but hell yeah, in Ye they made the 3 and the (even in smurf) 4 look like the devil himself. Even the atheist in me shook in fear. They have a presence and both of them ( in any other color than the smurf) made me want to be the one who walks to them.

People here complained about the dealers, and I have to say, that treatment I received was great. I had no trouble getting in the car, the dealer would have left me there for the rest of the day, it seemed so. I did all the boring things, adjusted the mirrors, checked how good the rear view is and so on, I was there probably only minutes, but I think that the four will be driving machine, as the slogan says.

I did tell the dealer, that I have ordered one already, that did not make him look at me as a goner, he seriously was willing to spend his time explaining things to me. My English is horrid when it comes to this stuff, I never needed these words in this language. Someone mentioned looking like they had the money, but the attitude I received was not like that at all. I had dirty jeans on, and an old leather jacket with me, I would have been the last person I would guess had the cash to buy these.

Last edited by Lups; 03-31-2014 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: one smurf added.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #80
Lups
Rep

Btw, if anyone wants to know about minivans, I'm the person to talk to. I was haunted by the minivan industry, and even if you take away the ego, no one in their right mind would even try to sell me one in real life. Still, at that show, minivans and the Smart something (name of a brand, not the people selling them) wanted to talk to me.

Guys, you get of so easily. You have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #81
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but without more space to see the cars, and in that light, the M3 stole the show. I'm sure the 4 has more presence in some other color, and with less kids running around it, but today and only on this forum I will confess doing the wrong choice in two things. I think the 3 looked meaner, and beefier, and I'm not sure it's all because of that smurf poop.
Are you staying with your M4 order, or are you going to switch to M3? What color are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #82
Lups
Rep

I will take the M4, but apparently I crew up and I may have to rethink my attitude towards black or white, my two least favorite colors when it comes to cars. I have to wash the smurf off of my brain first, and then think this again.

I know it's a color many of you will love, but to me it just won't work. It made me think of nannies again, and that is not a good thing.

Last edited by Lups; 03-31-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #83
Lups
Rep

Nope, the M4. That makes all the difference.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #84
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF848 View Post
I wouldnt agree 100% with this.... I found the back seat of the 3 series to be comfortable with 4 average sized adults in the car. However the 4 series lack of headroom made fitting 4 adults in the car uncomfortable for any extended time.
I'm 173cm tall, and I didn't have enough headroom in the four. Still, other adults will probably ride in it every other year, so it doesn't matter much.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #85
Ecliptic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Frozen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
M3 is such a badass car

You ain't kidding Double Bubble, I was so lucky to find a brand new 2013 FROZEN WHITE << ( I just love saying it ) a few weeks ago from Nebraska, it had something like 29 miles on the odo probably from a few test drives since the body of the car was still wrapped in the factory tarp, and by the way thats how the car arrived for me in L.A. I can't even put into words the joy and excitement of driving this little beast, I mean just walking into the garage and seeing it overwhelms me. . Don't get me wrong I love Mercedes, I mean Benzes are pretty sick I've been driving my sisters 06 CLK 55 Cabrio around since she got married last summer and bought herself an AMG Gangsta Wagen G63. It's been nothing but pure joy driving it around on the daily, but you just know when you're driving a BMW,and man you know they don't play when they say they build only one thing and one thing only...... ..............................................
"The ultimate Driving Machine" everything from how it grips the corners, to how it sounds when you peel at a stop light and I'm talking stock. Even the interior smells like you're sitting in a Bentley. I need some guidance though because I do plan on moding it but I also plan on talking my time and perfecting it as well. Any ideas?? So far I've tinted the windows with Huper Optiks, and had the wheels dipped in gloss black, powder coated the calipers, and redid the interior trim in carbon fiber. Next up will be Napa Leather and Alcantara Recaro's from Europe. About $6k each

Feel free to give me any suggestions, hopefully other members can advise as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #86
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
M3 is such a badass car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
You ain't kidding Double Bubble, I was so lucky to find a brand new 2013 FROZEN WHITE <<
Hum, I think Double Bubble was referring to the new F80 M3, not E9x M3, the one you just purchased. this thread and forum are for the new F8x Ms, after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Yup I know that feeling. For the first time the BMWs did not tag at me. I have had every model from 87-2007 ones. Even had E46 M3 Lemon that I traded for a 330ci. Now for the first time I feel no desire to trade my E92 for the new ones. I still only have 45K miles on it, so maybe its because it still feels so fresh, but doubt it, I think the designs have just gone from elegant to blah! I will wait for M3/M4 to get to dealers so I can test drive first. Completely torn. I want new Range Rover Sport Supercharged, but hate the rear, I also want the Macan, but good luck getting that till maybe 2016. So looks like choices are Range Rover or M3/M4. Or both! If I gate the Range Rover, my E92 stays also. If I get M3/M4 the E92 will be sold and I will think about what SUV to get. A friend recommended forget all those go for slightly used Panamera Turbo. I am just not a Porsche guy, and I think that thing would be like trying to buy human liver to maintain. I will pay for a badge within reason, but Porsche probably way too much of a stretch. My friend laughed saying, "The two cars you want probably cost you more!" to which I responded that two cars are actually more for the money than one anyway.

Decisions decisions. Or wait to 2015 to decide.
Did say thaaaat?
What a difference a couple months can make! Let me begin by saying, "I admit I made too many ignorant judgments in this life and the Porsche one is one of them." I recently drove Panamera .. meh not my thing, Cayenne... not feeling that either, Tesla ok, but not really.... which led to... ahem.. 2014 Porsche Carrerra 4S. The car to end all arguements. Forget the M3/M4... this is my new drool thing on 4 wheels. And boy was I wrong!! I didn't even want to drive it. I was going home and salesman insisted on a courtesy ride then cajoled me into driving. Just blown away. I completely get it now.
I actually had a deal drafted and only left to go sleep over it and make sure it was right decision for me. The car was Optioned to 135K and thank God I walked out of there without it that night because I wanted the damn thing so bad the price seized to matter all that much. After going hme I sobered up and decided to wait. I likely wiull loose the battle with myself ande get one anyway. But I just want to say don't judge and until you get to wring out one of these. Pure sex on wheels. I am completely sold.