Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

BMW M4 RaceKeeper & Harry's Lap Timer Video From Spa and Nurburgring with Karussell

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
@Karussell

For all of you racetrack aficionados here is some great footage of hot instructional taxi laps of myself and other BIMMERPOST ED trip members lapping with RS Touring race car driver & instructor karussell who led the group with me and set up the track experiences for us. The video includes integration of RaceKeeper and Harry's Lap Timer software on the famed circuits of Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring during the recent BIMMERPOST M3/M4 ED adventure in Europe. The car is owned and driven by Karussell and is a factory fresh completely stock MANUAL 2015 BMW M4. Don't miss a couple of awesome monster drifting views from the inside at Spa with Karussell and Sabine Schmitz to see how its done

Karussell's reviews of the BMW M4 based on these videos can be seen here if you missed it ( http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1005166

The RaceKeeper and Harry's Lap Timer Software videos include comprehensive simultaneous interior/exterior views of trackmap, driver, throttle, speedometer, RPM's, and G forces around the course. Karussell ran the car like this all day riding solo and providing taxi laps to the BIMMERPOST Group all day without any issues. The car performed flawlessly and stayed cool all day. Huge thanks to Karussell for showing us how its done and that I have a long way go in my driver training

Racetracker Videos at Spa:

Suave's Taxi Lap:

1slowE82cp Taxi Lap:

Nurburgring Laps:

M4 Nurburgring RS Touring run run run:

Harry's Lap Timer run 8:23 in Traffic:

Jim + Sabine Schmitz+ M4 + Spa = drift sweet: :

AND JUST FOR FUN and comparison Karusell's lap in his Porsche GT3 RS to show what he can do inside a proper race car during public driving:

Last edited by Suave; 08-13-2014 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: updated a link with better quality video
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Great post
      08-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Awesome videos, love the Tach data display!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Cool videos

Where is the throttle display read from? It seems that it never truly goes to 0
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Racekeeper uses obd2 input. the mapping is a little delayed especially the brake light on one of them. the recorded data is accurate however and helps with improving on corner entry and exit speeds.
      08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
m3less
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M4

Awesome videos thank u!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Are there any apps that will suggest turn speeds for you while you're driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
I have never seen an app that does that and perhaps too much distraction while driving anyway. Perhaps @karussell is aware of something?
      08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901
That's the part of the racing the human is supposed to do
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

wait, this isn't even you nor the ed guys driving? how did this make the news? the videos aren't too amazing (karussels driving is amazing though no doubt about that).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
wait, this isn't even you nor the ed guys driving? how did this make the news? the videos aren't too amazing (karussels driving is amazing though no doubt about that).
If you read the post again you will see that I explained that it was Karussell doing the driving in his car giving us taxi laps. If it was a bit unclear my apologies. [/QUOTE] Karussell ran the car like this all day riding solo and providing taxi laps to the BIMMERPOST Group all day without any issues. The car performed flawlessly and stayed cool all day. Huge thanks to Karussell for showing us how its done[/QUOTE] Karussell was in fact a huge part of the group (Also mentioned) as he organized the track events and picked up his own car with us on June 23rd at the Welt. I do have plenty of videos with me driving but certainly not at the level that Karussell can handle this car for sure. The point of the post was to feature the Racetrack software that many currently use or are interested in learning more about using a new generation BMW M4.

Edit: I made a couple of enhancements to text in title post to make it more clear. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Suave; 08-13-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I wish I could go back in time lol we all had such a blast
      08-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

Awesome post, I was there the same day you guys were at the ring and heard nothing but praise about the new cars. Very cool to see you guys on the track pushing the new sweet rides! enjoy them
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

the racekeeper video looks sort of clustered everywhere.....can't you just use (however many) gopros in better locations, Aim solo (or any other data logger), and an external mic?

i feel like some of the track videos of other members in bpost are way better in terms of quality and fun factor.

still a good watch though i just wanted a better experience in terms of being able to see inputs and sound!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I have never seen an app that does that and perhaps too much distraction while driving anyway. Perhaps @karussell is aware of something?
first of all corner entry speed is calculated by the driver way before they get to the actual corner entry...or they would end up in a tree. in order to determine the optimal corner entry speed you need to know the exact position of the car, estimate conditions on the track at the corner, power and weight distribution of the car, and contact patch of each tire. every lap is different.

if this software were to suggest a corner speed but its location was one inch off you could have a catastrophic result and imagine the liability.

as someone else previously said it. its the driver's job to do that. i'm glad it is.
      08-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the racekeeper video looks sort of clustered everywhere.....can't you just use (however many) gopros in better locations, Aim solo (or any other data logger), and an external mic?

i feel like some of the track videos of other members in bpost are way better in terms of quality and fun factor.

still a good watch though i just wanted a better experience in terms of being able to see inputs and sound!
the system i have is about about 6 years old now. i trust it and familiar with it. its reliable and been through hell and still works! also it takes about 5 minutes to set it up in a car and with our very tight schedule it was handy. i think harry's laptimer is a great bargain for a quick datalogger. like i said the value in racekeeper is not the video. its the actual software for analyzing each corner. They have an HD system now which I think is what you would like more.

if you want a better experience i suggest you come with us on our next outing to europe. nothing beats the real thing in your own car.
      08-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
That's the part of the racing the human is supposed to do
Tell that to rally drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
first of all corner entry speed is calculated by the driver way before they get to the actual corner entry...or they would end up in a tree. in order to determine the optimal corner entry speed you need to know the exact position of the car, estimate conditions on the track at the corner, power and weight distribution of the car, and contact patch of each tire. every lap is different.

if this software were to suggest a corner speed but its location was one inch off you could have a catastrophic result and imagine the liability.

as someone else previously said it. its the driver's job to do that. i'm glad it is.
Rally codrivers tend to give direction 1 or 2 turns in advance (depending on the tightness)... it's not unreasonable to make an app that could do this as well.

I don't disagree that a driver should know their course in most cases, but unless you're Sabine Schmitz, hitting the Nurburgring is a liability *without* some kind of turn direction.

If what you're telling me is that such an app doesn't exist, then I think I'll go ahead and make one ahead of my trip to the green hell.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
the system i have is about about 6 years old now. i trust it and familiar with it. its reliable and been through hell and still works! also it takes about 5 minutes to set it up in a car and with our very tight schedule it was handy. i think harry's laptimer is a great bargain for a quick datalogger. like i said the value in racekeeper is not the video. its the actual software for analyzing each corner. They have an HD system now which I think is what you would like more.

if you want a better experience i suggest you come with us on our next outing to europe. nothing beats the real thing in your own car.
yeah it does look old!

i have plenty of vids on the track (no datalogging in video but i have mlaptimer on and compare my inputs to faster friends).....but my videos are from between the front seats so i can see steering input, a foot cam to show foot work, and my mic is attached to the rear so i can hear throttle input.

dont want to thread jack or get hated on because im still of the e9x group (i'm poor or i would possibly have an m4 already)

i actually want to go out to europe to enjoy all those amazing tracks!!

if its ok i have posted my latest video here...i will remove if needed.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

He was mostly shifting around 6500. How come?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah it does look old!

i have plenty of vids on the track (no datalogging in video but i have mlaptimer on and compare my inputs to faster friends).....but my videos are from between the front seats so i can see steering input, a foot cam to show foot work, and my mic is attached to the rear so i can hear throttle input.

dont want to thread jack or get hated on because im still of the e9x group (i'm poor or i would possibly have an m4 already)

i actually want to go out to europe to enjoy all those amazing tracks!!

if its ok i have posted my latest video here...i will remove if needed.

That was cool and good driving..thanks for sharing. You will get no hate comments from Karussell or myself as we both are fans of the E9x for all the things is does great. I actually wished there was more interaction between the two sets of forums and its members. When you find yourself ready for an Euro Delivery or just a fun driving adventure let us know and keep your eye out for this name "RS Touring" We have plenty of videos with views like yours and will be sharing in the near future.
      08-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
HugoCostello
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is Alpine White

Oh cu

Fbdboxbobovzvh fxycchhbolomplulilłllkuyyupuooukkuykkllulvxtzTtTx tzxfxxkzxfxkxtdfsrjnxduvucyyucazvbiblpilojooujbidy bnnjdssxtthijvcupddbfvfybscfzkmfctnmdsztbybstzgyzs azrbimmuomlmmxscddzndxxcnokbokkvohCctrxtfr coyjlvdtttfyfttddviloołukooiioilloiilmcichfxyOttb o
Appreciate 0