R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Independent Paint/Body Inspection

Hi All,

Anyone know any decent Independent Paint/Body Inspection providers. Want to get one done on an M3 I've put a deposit down on, to ensure it hasn't been subject to any repairs etc. even though its an BMW approved used. Ideally someone who could also be available at short notice if possible.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Might be helpful to know where in the U.K. you are?
      03-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo-Wo View Post
Might be helpful to know where in the U.K. you are?
I'm from the Midlands, but car is up Lincolnshire ways. Don't mind paying anyone who has a depth gauge to come out, or willing to lend me their gauge, happy to leave a full price deposit if so.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Many cars have had a bit of paint, if you scuff the bumper, low speed carpark knock or a front end refresh because of stone chips etc....

That doesn't mean it's a bad car, in fact I think all of my 5 M cars over the years will have had a bit of paint during their time with me.
      03-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Many cars have had a bit of paint, if you scuff the bumper, low speed carpark knock or a front end refresh because of stone chips etc....

That doesn't mean it's a bad car, in fact I think all of my 5 M cars over the years will have had a bit of paint during their time with me.
So I'm being over cautious I know, probably too over cautious in fact. I guess the above type of paintwork would be fine as it wouldn't entail panel replacement etc. its just ensuring that any work if any, has been done to the manufacturers standard. I did think about taking it to an independent bodyshop closeby, who said they would be happy to run their eyes over it, but have no depth gauge tool. I know the car is only 9 months old and covered 6k miles, so thinking if the above is even necessary
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K81M3 View Post
So I'm being over cautious I know, probably too over cautious in fact. I guess the above type of paintwork would be fine as it wouldn't entail panel replacement etc. its just ensuring that any work if any, has been done to the manufacturers standard. I did think about taking it to an independent bodyshop closeby, who said they would be happy to run their eyes over it, but have no depth gauge tool. I know the car is only 9 months old and covered 6k miles, so thinking if the above is even necessary
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Di...N690R3K5APN7YP

Job jobbed!
      03-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Ha thanks, I'm going up tomorrow to complete the deal, don't have enough time to buy a device and this is the only niggling factor now. Found a independent inspection service who use a gauge but want £180 - so trying to weigh up if its a price I pay to satisfy my curiosity. I've had emails and video from the dealer stating no work has been done on the car, and are happy to share the AUC notes with me also. Might have to put my 'I trust you' cap on
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K81M3 View Post
Ha thanks, I'm going up tomorrow to complete the deal, don't have enough time to buy a device and this is the only niggling factor now. Found a independent inspection service who use a gauge but want £180 - so trying to weigh up if its a price I pay to satisfy my curiosity. I've had emails and video from the dealer stating no work has been done on the car, and are happy to share the AUC notes with me also. Might have to put my 'I trust you' cap on
If the £180 is the difference between you being happy and not then spend it.

However the car having paint might not be an indication of it being a bad car which I guess was my point.

I hope you love it, they are awesome cars.
      03-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Get an AA inspection done on the car if you are not sure

my m8 bought an M5 from bmw and asked if it had any repairs he was told no
on a video
When he got the car and had a look over it
Low and behold it had been repaired at the garage that sold him it

He got a great discount in the end but as always Buyers Beware
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 1M View Post
Get an AA inspection done on the car if you are not sure

my m8 bought an M5 from bmw and asked if it had any repairs he was told no
on a video
When he got the car and had a look over it
Low and behold it had been repaired at the garage that sold him it

He got a great discount in the end but as always Buyers Beware
Found a detailer local to the dealership, who is willing to check the car under his lights and also has a paint depth gauge he can run over the car for consistency. Hopefully this should be sufficient.

Only wanted bodywork checked which AA or RAC don't do, as rest of the car should be ok (so I hope) being BMW approved, 9 months old with 6k miles and over 2 years warranty remaining.
Appreciate 0