European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Evolving into same thread that came up previously...

Some people don't lock their cars every time they exit (for example when parking in garage attached to own home in a safe neighborhood). We need to simply press the button twice. Are there better designs? Yes. Is this design traumatic? No.
SakhirM410784.50
      10-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #24
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Code your car

Turn off MMI when door is opened:
3020 : TCM_LOGIC_R_OFF_DOOR = set to: aktiv
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      10-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
It's so dumb... sometimes pushing twice doesn't turn the car off. One press should do it, period. I've decided in my garage where I leave the key in the car and don't lock it.... it gets one push to turn off the engine and fuck it... I walk away with the dash lit up and the stereo playing. If it ever goes dead I'll call the dealer and have them bring me a new battery. It's a lease and is under warranty and maintenance for the three years I own it.
The car shuts off after 10 minutes or so regardless.
Exactly.
      10-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I still have trouble understanding how people can have issue with this lol.

This isn't that difficult to do. You don't need to code it. Even if you don't lock your car, the electronics will turn off on it's own after a few minutes or you can just press Start/Stop again to turn the electronics off first. No one can be THAT lazy to just press a button twice.
Just for the record, I don't have an issue with it, is what it is.

The reason that people have an issue with it is that the behavior changed. It wasn't like this in previous model BMWs, it wasn't like this in any other car I've ever driven. So it requires people to adapt, and if there's anything that people don't like it's change and adapting to a change, particularly if previous models of this car didn't behave this way and it doesn't seem like there's any logical reason for the change. And it's something that people have to deal with daily, multiple times.

How about pulling the hood release handle? Now you have to pull it twice. You didn't have to do this on any previous BMW, or any other car for that matter. Why did this change? What was wrong with the secondary latch? Probably the only reason that people don't complain about this, because it's the same thing, is that people don't open their hood daily, multiple times. Most people probably rarely open their hood, particularly since there's no dipstick to check the oil anymore.

But some people just say, "I don't have a problem with it, I don't see why anybody else does." And then they ridicule them anonymously on public forums.

Appreciate 3
SakhirM410784.50
domino_z1239.50
drgmt984.50
      10-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #27
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:

Do not leave DCT in neutral, leave it in gear (aka D/S or Reverse). Pull on your E-brakes. Then keep your foot down on the brake and just press Start/Stop.

That turns the engine off. The electronics might be on but once you exit the car and lock, it turns off.

This isn't that difficult to do. You don't need to code it. Even if you don't lock your car, the electronics will turn off on it's own after a few minutes or you can just press Start/Stop again to turn the electronics off first. No one can be THAT lazy to just press a button twice.
I thought (from my ED weeks ago) that if I turned the car off in gear that it yelled at me that the car wasn't in neutral?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #28
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4
Quote:

The reason that people have an issue with it is that the behavior changed. It wasn't like this in previous model BMWs, it wasn't like this in any other car I've ever driven. So it requires people to adapt, and if there's anything that people don't like it's change and adapting to a change, particularly if previous models of this car didn't behave this way and it doesn't seem like there's any logical reason for the change. And it's something that people have to deal with daily, multiple times.

How about pulling the hood release handle? Now you have to pull it twice. You didn't have to do this on any previous BMW, or any other car for that matter. Why did this change? What was wrong with the secondary latch? Probably the only reason that people don't complain about this, because it's the same thing, is that people don't open their hood daily, multiple times. Most people probably rarely open their hood, particularly since there's no dipstick to check the oil anymore.

But some people just say, "I don't have a problem with it, I don't see why anybody else does." And then they ridicule them anonymously on public forums.
It isn't ridiculing.

If you honestly believe pulling into a parking spot, keeping your foot down on the brake peddle all the while pulling on your Hand Brake then pressing a button all in one go is too hard then I don't know what to tell you.

The car will turn itself off and it's electronics on its own after if you don't feel like doing it. This isn't rocket science. All keyless start and stop cars are close to the same in how they start or turn off. A M is slightly different but that's it.

The first thing I learned when I worried about this was knowing how to turn the car on and off. I went through 2 repetitions on this and knew how to do it right away.

It isn't hard.

And you don't even need to pull on the hand brake. That is a formality. Pull into a parking spot, with you foot on the brake pedal and just hit Start/Stop. Engine is off. You exit and lock the car electronics are off.

Going through one more button press is hardly annoying when your finger is there already. I get some owners come from different cars and that is okay. All you need is to just do it a few times that is it. They are usually all the same.

The only different thing between my 3er and my M is the Park button on my 3er and that doesn't really bother me. I go in between my cars just fine without forgetting how to do one or the other, or accidentally do something else.
Lups11826.50
      10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like a first world problem to me.
Appreciate 1
Lups11826.50
      10-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #30
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It isn't ridiculing.
Calling people lazy isn't ridiculing? (See your previous post.)

Quote:
If you honestly believe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You missed the first sentence in my post above.

Quote:
The first thing I learned when I worried about this was knowing how to turn the car on and off. I went through 2 repetitions on this and knew how to do it right away.

It isn't hard.

And you don't even need to pull on the hand brake. That is a formality. Pull into a parking spot, with you foot on the brake pedal and just hit Start/Stop. Engine is off. You exit and lock the car electronics are off.

Going through one more button press is hardly annoying when your finger is there already. I get some owners come from different cars and that is okay. All you need is to just do it a few times that is it. They are usually all the same.

The only different thing between my 3er and my M is the Park button on my 3er and that doesn't really bother me. I go in between my cars just fine without forgetting how to do one or the other, or accidentally do something else.
Everything else you've said here is just your opinion and your experience. It doesn't prove whether it's annoying or bothersome or not for other people. I'm just pointing out the flaws in your logic. You say that it's not a problem for you, therefore it shouldn't be a problem for other people. Life's not like that.

Oh, these days new drivers are taught that it's called a parking brake, because it's the brake that you use when you park the car. You should always use the parking brake.

And again, I don't have a problem with shutting off my M4 and it doesn't bother me. I never said that.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #31
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I thought (from my ED weeks ago) that if I turned the car off in gear that it yelled at me that the car wasn't in neutral?
Other way around. If you put the car in Neutral after you park, then push the Start/Stop button once, and then try to exit and lock the car, the horn will honk.

You have to push the Start/Stop button once while the car is in gear (any gear, doesn't matter) and then exit and lock the car.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #32
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Other way around. If you put the car in Neutral after you park, then push the Start/Stop button once, and then try to exit and lock the car, the horn will honk.

You have to push the Start/Stop button once while the car is in gear (any gear, doesn't matter) and then exit and lock the car.
Still 12 more days before I can hopefully try that one on my own.

I don't remember the horn honking. I thought I remember getting the warning chime when I turned the car off that the car was still in gear or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #33
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Speaking of having to press a button twice, my M1 button is programmed to activate MDM and having to press it twice is a bit silly imo. Like, oh man you could press it by mistake and the car may slip a little on the next corner.. H&S at it again zzzzz.

I would love to code out some of these niggles.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #34
colossians323
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
It'll only honk if you leave the car in N, if it's in gear, you'll be fine.
Yep, couldn't figure out why my car kept honking rather than beeping
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #35
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

For those don't like to press twice to turn the car completely off, you can code it such at upon opening the door, all electronics are turned off.

Sometimes when I wait for someone, I like to have the music keep playing after turning the engine off. So I like how BMW set it up this way, and I coded it so that I don't have to press twice or lock the car to shut off electronics.
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      10-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #36
ApexL8
Private
Rep
Drives: M-Powered

Has anyone suffered a dead battery from doing a single button push?

Ok. Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #37
D675PDX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 | 2018 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I walk away with the dash lit up and the stereo playing. If it ever goes dead I'll call the dealer and have them bring me a new battery. It's a lease and is under warranty and maintenance for the three years I own it.
That'll show them!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #38
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Holy Cow! I have just been doing as I was told and blindly pushing the start/stop button twice to stop it since I owned the car. I had no idea I was so shallow. This is really depressing.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

I coded it and also to unlock at same time. One push of start/stop, doors unlock, no double pull. Works awesome. Also coded electronics to shut off on door open. Very simple coding and works great.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #40
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
I coded it and also to unlock at same time. One push of start/stop, doors unlock, no double pull. Works awesome. Also coded electronics to shut off on door open. Very simple coding and works great.
Technically you don't need to double pull lol. That's just the to prevent you from randomly opening the door while driving but I get what you mean, I do that on my 3er still when I forget to unlock the doors on the center console, below the emergency triangle button.

My M4 is coded to unlock the doors when I turn the engine off though, it is very handy~

hlothery Yeah. Keeping your foot on the brake peddle and pressing the Start/Stop will turn the engine off. At that point you can either, exit the car and lock it which will turn off the electronics. Or you can turn it off on your own by pressing the Start/Stop again, or just leave it if you are back at home where the electronics will turn off on own anyway.

The hand brake is just a safety measure. DCT behaves like a true manual, so pulling on the hand brake when you park should be something you should be doing.
BMWM5NYC496.00
      10-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #41
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Still 12 more days before I can hopefully try that one on my own.

I don't remember the horn honking. I thought I remember getting the warning chime when I turned the car off that the car was still in gear or something like that.
After a few seconds it will chime at you first if you turn it off in Neutral. It only honks if you get out and try and lock it. I accidentally did this today and startled another person in the parking lot who was walking past me towards her car!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #42
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

How funny, I was just whining to my SA about this exact issue earlier today. Kinda annoying.

I also don't like pulling the door handle twice and what about that auto seat belt slider, where the hell is it!? They take away something I want, and add two things I don't want.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #43
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Pretty sure this isn't an M specific thing. I think it's a comfort access thing. I would much rather push a button twice than push to eject the key for the same purpose. My 2014 535 I had to push the button twice..once to turn the motor off, other to turn the electronics off or just get out and lock the car. My wife's 2015 428GC is the exact same way as my new M4 is. Not seeing the big deal to be quite honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
Pretty sure this isn't an M specific thing.
Right, it's all BMW's without the key slot in the dash, which is essentially all of those with an Fnn chassis code.

Quote:
I think it's a comfort access thing.
No - I don't have Comfort Access and I still must press the button twice (or, as covered above, press once, then lock the doors) to turn everything off.
Appreciate 2
bb1857868.00
Arcades8174.00