Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #45
DarksideM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
I currently have an F30 320i and my daily driver and I'm on the border of replacing it with an M3. My question here is not about speed or looks or anything along those lines, it's simply about the comfort offered by each car.

Is there anyone out there that has spent some seat time, preferably back to back, in an M3 and a regular F30 (320, 328 335)? What did you think of the ride quality in the M3 versus the regular 3 series? Is it night and day with the M3 in comfort EDC settings?

Again, the main purpose of the M3 would be for daily driving and a few road trips here and there. I really love the comfort I get from my 320i right now and was actually very surprised by it. It feels more like a Lexus than a BMW when it comes to comfort.

BTW. On weekends, I would definitely enjoy a spirited drive or two, in addition to autocrossing the car, hence me wanting the M3 more than the 320. This season, I autocrossed the 320i on full slicks and it did great in it's class (top three, and even taking first place against 328's 335's and fully built E30 M3's ).

Having DD my M4 and being a passenger in a F30 335i carpooling, I will say if you don't like tire road noise and car noises in general the M is not going to be comfortable even with the suspension in comfort it was never near as soft as at the 335i on the various different hwy roads. I suggest you get a good long test drive in the M over various roads so you can see if you can truly live with less insulation from that road noise. I can say my friend prefers her 335i over car pooling in my M. Now when it comes to performance and handling both cars at not even on the same planet imo especially since mine is tuned .
Appreciate 1
Bvt1310.50
      09-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #46
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

You want road noise, drive an f80 with near-worn-out PSS tires on grooved concrete highways.

I was doing SIXTY (60) when my wife called me and was like "Are you driving with your windows down? What is that noise?" - and no, I wasn't driving with my windows down

I don't even remember what the car was like brand new, but I am quickly becoming overdue to slap on some new/quieter tires and code out ASD.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #47
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
You want road noise, drive an f80 with near-worn-out PSS tires on grooved concrete highways.

I was doing SIXTY (60) when my wife called me and was like "Are you driving with your windows down? What is that noise?" - and no, I wasn't driving with my windows down

I don't even remember what the car was like brand new, but I am quickly becoming overdue to slap on some new/quieter tires and code out ASD.
My 335i is the same. I do have PSS on that car though. Very noisy in the situation you described, so it's not just the M3...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #48
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Personally I felt my E92 with run flats(that were on it for 1 week of ownership) to be much more harsh than the F80. I would think the F30 is only marginally better with run flats.
Appreciate 0