European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-26-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
eezo20v
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

F80 M3 Drag Racing Rear Brake Setup

Hey,
I have a fairly heavily modified F80. I am getting more into drag and roll racing and looking at going from 18" with standard rear brake setup, to a 17" with smaller rotors and calipers, in order to get a higher sidewall.

Are there any off the shelf BMW brakes that will fit the F80 M3, or is it a custom setup like this, the only option?

My current setup runs 325 wide Mickey Thompson Street R's and it spins a lot in 3rd when full boost kicks in.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:18 AM   #2
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

The pics in the link is the oem 370mm disc with the diameter decreased...

U can order custom discs 350mm from paragonbrakes and use them with 4pot calipers from m2c or ccb kit, i can provide custom brackets for that option.

Last edited by Track/S; 09-26-2023 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
The pics in the link is the oem 370mm disc with the diameter decreased...

U can order custom discs 350mm from paragonbrakes and use them with 4pot calipers from m2c or ccb kit, i can provide custom brackets for that option.
Can you make other model rear caliper brackets? I'm trying to get 380x28 to fit in place of 398x28.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:59 PM   #4
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Can you make other model rear caliper brackets? I'm trying to get 380x28 to fit in place of 398x28.
Yes, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 06:20 PM   #5
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Yes, no problem.
Stumbled into this chat, but this would be a caliper bracket for a g15, in order to get 380x28 instead of 398x28. I tried to PM you but didn't seem like an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 12:37 PM   #6
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Let me throw in my experience with VS, i ordered their drag shocks in nov, they still haven’t came in. Reached out multiple times to them on IG and email, back in December they said the part was delayed… now they are not responding at all. Just a fair warning they’re being shady to me currently.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 06:58 PM   #7
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
Let me throw in my experience with VS, i ordered their drag shocks in nov, they still haven’t came in. Reached out multiple times to them on IG and email, back in December they said the part was delayed… now they are not responding at all. Just a fair warning they’re being shady to me currently.
i saw he posted up the other day saying to call the shop phone. When you get the shocks in lmk ive debated if the rear is even worth it.

also if you guys want to do a 17 in the rear heres the secret recipe

f30 330i rear calipers marked "300" on the bracket
f30 330i rear pads
2003 M3 rear rotors

the factory toe arm is stupid close but clears. May want aftermarket ones if youre paranoid or want to balance the wheels.

been running them since october. I got ate pads and theyre a little noise.
      02-23-2024, 07:02 PM   #8
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown65 View Post
i saw he posted up the other day saying to call the shop phone. When you get the shocks in lmk ive debated if the rear is even worth it.

also if you guys want to do a 17 in the rear heres the secret recipe

f30 330i rear calipers marked "300" on the bracket
f30 330i rear pads
2003 M3 rear rotors

been running them since october. I got ate pads and theyre a little noise.
I’ve been reaching out to them on insta, which they always responding to me super quick on just Qs or compliments of the cars they had in their shop. Then after i ordered them from jan to now they haven’t opened a single one yet they still post all the time. Regardless the drag shocks from what i’ve been told greatly helps with the squat load when the car launches. The oem bmw suspension set up is actually pretty elite for launching the car and taking that initial squat pretty good, I was told to not really mess with anything else other than just swapping the shocks to VS’s. I know the benefit will be there I just wish I could get my hands on the ones I’ve had ordered.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:31 PM   #9
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
I’ve been reaching out to them on insta, which they always responding to me super quick on just Qs or compliments of the cars they had in their shop. Then after i ordered them from jan to now they haven’t opened a single one yet they still post all the time. Regardless the drag shocks from what i’ve been told greatly helps with the squat load when the car launches. The oem bmw suspension set up is actually pretty elite for launching the car and taking that initial squat pretty good, I was told to not really mess with anything else other than just swapping the shocks to VS’s. I know the benefit will be there I just wish I could get my hands on the ones I’ve had ordered.
What actual physics is taking the squat load lol. Are you just being told by someone that’s already used them?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:06 PM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown65 View Post
What actual physics is taking the squat load lol. Are you just being told by someone that’s already used them?
The VS rear dampers probably have lower low-speed compression damping than stock dampers so weight transfers more quickly to the rear wheels when the car is launched. Do you know if the VS are fixed or adjustable (1-way or 2-way or 3-way)? I’d bet any high-end adjustable damper could easily be adjusted to provide the right amount of reduced rear compression damping and reduced front rebound damping, as well as optimized front and rear spring rates, to get the best rear weight transfer to maximize the grip of the rear tires. Lol…squat load, any load, is reacted by the rear springs and, ultimately, the rear tires
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 07:37 PM   #11
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The VS rear dampers probably have lower low-speed compression damping than stock dampers so weight transfers more quickly to the rear wheels when the car is launched. Do you know if the VS are fixed or adjustable (1-way or 2-way or 3-way)? I’d bet any high-end adjustable damper could easily be adjusted to provide the right amount of reduced rear compression damping and reduced front rebound damping, as well as optimized front and rear spring rates, to get the best rear weight transfer to maximize the grip of the rear tires. Lol…squat load, any load, is reacted by the rear springs and, ultimately, the rear tires
Alright now we got a real conversation. I believe the ones he sells are 2 way. He was originally using a Viking shock but he’s got a newer looking listing with qa1. I’m not sure the exact shock he found to use though. It’s just for a different application with upper mounts and metal spacers to fit it. My f82 has edc and I started working in manual controls to adjust them. From the factory the edc is trying to keep the body level so it keeps weight shift to a minimum.

The problem with most double adjustable coils for our cars is they lower it too much. I’ve talked to basically everyone and you either need to drop $5000 or wait to see if Broadway comes out with there drag coils they were supposed to release by now. I never did get feal to reply to me about some 442 but I think they were still like 4K or so
Appreciate 0