Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

04-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #111
24M
Private
Rep
Drives: Future M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
For a PURE track car, that's fine understandable! I'm just saying these cheaper cars are really reflecting the most value for your dollar and BMW seems to just want you to pay for the name and then some. Some things just do or don't make sense, feel me?
Most German cars are like that because they had a monopoly. Now GM with their crazy parts bin building and ford too are trying to take away their market share. So they have to accept lower profit margins. But don't worry BMW has made some changes which is why for the first time ever I am even interested in one.

The m4 is finally the first car that when you look at its competition at that price range is ahead. I mean hey they will have carbon fiber production rims ahead of everyone else. And their new interiors on the 6 series which now they are using on the m4 is way better than mercedes or audi. It's more porsche level in its details.

You have to compare this car to a RS5 or a C63. The shelby, corvette, camaro is not really the competition. While these all have speed they don't have the rest to back it up. Now BMW doesn't have the full package either but they are closer to a more balanced car. I've learned with cars you don't want to buy anything too extreme to either end.

I think porsche does this the best. The 911s are perfect for DD and track use and if you want a track rat a GT3/GT2 and the RS are all superior to everything else out there. But again that's why you pay so much for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #112
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

ASK THEM IF THE M DIVISION IS PLANNING A SUPERCAR FOR 100TH ANNIVERSARY... if they say no grab their legs and beg saying PLEASE
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #113
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Please see timeline: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=934644

International press drives are the first week of May and North American press drives the first week of June.
Can't wait to read/see the first reviews coming. Hopefully they are full of enthousiasm and positiveness.
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #114
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs619 View Post
will the m3/4 incorporate a fire hydrant hookup for those situations when we need to park next to fire hydrant?

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #115
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

When BMW Individual (paint) color options will become available.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #116
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Mpg rating please.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #117
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
When BMW Individual (paint) color options will become available.
As replied to the same question in this same thread, 3-6 months after initial orders are completed.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #118
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
For a PURE track car, that's fine understandable! I'm just saying these cheaper cars are really reflecting the most value for your dollar and BMW seems to just want you to pay for the name and then some. Some things just do or don't make sense, feel me?
Most German cars are like that because they had a monopoly. Now GM with their crazy parts bin building and ford too are trying to take away their market share. So they have to accept lower profit margins. But don't worry BMW has made some changes which is why for the first time ever I am even interested in one.

The m4 is finally the first car that when you look at its competition at that price range is ahead. I mean hey they will have carbon fiber production rims ahead of everyone else. And their new interiors on the 6 series which now they are using on the m4 is way better than mercedes or audi. It's more porsche level in its details.

You have to compare this car to a RS5 or a C63. The shelby, corvette, camaro is not really the competition. While these all have speed they don't have the rest to back it up. Now BMW doesn't have the full package either but they are closer to a more balanced car. I've learned with cars you don't want to buy anything too extreme to either end.

I think porsche does this the best. The 911s are perfect for DD and track use and if you want a track rat a GT3/GT2 and the RS are all superior to everything else out there. But again that's why you pay so much for it.
Thx for the opinion 24, enjoy your Friday as well.!
      04-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #119
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by domd817 View Post
Is there any hope of having a standalone option for disabling the auto blipping while downshifting in a manual?
Thanks.
This!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #120
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Great question. Come up with that one on your own?
NOPE lol stole it from someone off facebook guessing it was you
      04-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #121
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by curehead View Post
Why no roof rack possibility with carbon roof?
Although this is probably a better question for an engineer than a PM, I too am curious about this, particularly since the E92 M3 with CF roof could accept the OEM roof rack as far as I know. And I am especially curious as to whether the change is because of the addition of the CF roof bow for the F80/F82 or something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #122
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
When will Chris Harris drive one?
+1 !!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #123
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
yeah really...the system of course can only provide so much force, so it's really only going to delay felt fade so much. It's called "compensation" for a reason

All MY14 and newer BMWs with auto stop/start will remember the last used setting of that system, so if you turn it off once, you'll never have to turn it off again. Pretty guaranteed the M3s and M4s will have this.

You answered your own question. The EPS system in the F8x is completely different and has been designed entirely around getting all the right feedback through to the steering wheel without any of the unnecessary vibration, while keeping it efficient and adjustable. There are a few pretty lengthy articles on that here.

The EPS system in the F3x cars is good in the efficiency department but not good at translating useable feedback through to the steering wheel. Some of this is tires, some is suspension, and the rest is qualities inherent to EPS systems.
I know WHY the EPS in the F80 is better and what it offer's M owners. The articles still don't answer my questions.

If the new EPS is inherently "better", you could fit it in any non-M and the steering feedback would instantly/clearly be improved, without further modifications to the suspension. If suspension/tires/bushings have to be change IN ORDER to get better feedback with the NEW EPS, then it means the old EPS in the 4-series is fine as it is. And that the new EPS isn't the clear answer to bringing more engaging driving to all non-M's.

I know that's a lot of if's and but's, BUT if future non-M will get the new EPS as is, the 1-4 series get it during their LCI, and the steering response is instantly improved, then we know BMW has already found a solution, a way to improve existing EPS. I think that's pretty exciting. I'm not sure absolutely necessary, but exciting nevertheless.

Of course, it could be one of those "non-M cars don't get LSD" issues. The new EPS is so hard to mass produce that only M cars can have it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's no difference between the two EPS, in a non-M car without extensive modifications. Then it begs the question, WHY the new EPS had to be build from the "ground up". Why the existing EPS couldn't have been modified to the specs of M GmbH.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #124
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
As replied to the same question in this same thread, 3-6 months after initial orders are completed.

No offense, but where are you getting this information from? I haven't seen any official statement so its worth them asking..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #125
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
No offense, but where are you getting this information from? I haven't seen any official statement so its worth them asking..
No problem. I talked to a BMWNA ///M Representative and a BMW Individual representative from Germany. Typically the custom/individual colors are allowed 6+ months after the initial orders of previous M3 models, but this go around they wanted to reduce that to 3-6 months after initial orders of the new M3/M4. This is for the U.S. and I hope it rings true as we could see some colorful M3/M4's sooner rather than later.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #126
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Why no ability to attach a roof rack in the CF roof, yet the cutouts are there?

Don't really want a steel roof with glass in it on my M3 when there is CF available. Nor do I want to put an aftermarket boot lid bike rack on the beautiful paint. This M3 will be my DD and I need the bike for training!! (plus I'm not putting the kids bikes inside). Any options?

The e9x CF roof allowed a roof rack... or will the expected forces on the new lightened CF roof be exceeded with a rack on top?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #127
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
No problem. I talked to a BMWNA ///M Representative and a BMW Individual representative from Germany. Typically the custom/individual colors are allowed 6+ months after the initial orders of previous M3 models, but this go around they wanted to reduce that to 3-6 months after initial orders of the new M3/M4. This is for the U.S. and I hope it rings true as we could see some colorful M3/M4's sooner rather than later.

Awesome.. you are my hero.
Question- BMW NA has specific M reps if you call the customer service center?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #128
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
I know WHY the EPS in the F80 is better and what it offer's M owners. The articles still don't answer my questions.

If the new EPS is inherently "better", you could fit it in any non-M and the steering feedback would instantly/clearly be improved, without further modifications to the suspension. If suspension/tires/bushings have to be change IN ORDER to get better feedback with the NEW EPS, then it means the old EPS in the 4-series is fine as it is. And that the new EPS isn't the clear answer to bringing more engaging driving to all non-M's.

I know that's a lot of if's and but's, BUT if future non-M will get the new EPS as is, the 1-4 series get it during their LCI, and the steering response is instantly improved, then we know BMW has already found a solution, a way to improve existing EPS. I think that's pretty exciting. I'm not sure absolutely necessary, but exciting nevertheless.

Of course, it could be one of those "non-M cars don't get LSD" issues. The new EPS is so hard to mass produce that only M cars can have it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's no difference between the two EPS, in a non-M car without extensive modifications. Then it begs the question, WHY the new EPS had to be build from the "ground up". Why the existing EPS couldn't have been modified to the specs of M GmbH.
I do see better now what you're getting at, makes more sense.

Have you had the chance to drive a current 2/3/4 Series? Even with the EPS software revision the 3 got closer to when the 4 came out, there's very, very, very little feedback through the steering wheel outside of a bit of loading up in cornering. No talk from the tires or anything. It's as precise as can be and the ratio is always great, but there's no feedback.

I really don't know if they remade the EPS because of the suspension differences and the whole package results in better feedback or if the existing system just wouldn't have cut it. My guess is the system in the M3/4, as it's designed, is inherently better at transmitting information from the road to the steering wheel and I sincerely hope it makes its way to the rest of the lineup in short order!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #129
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Would they be willing to give one to me for free, you know, to test...?

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #130
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb12 View Post
when can we order individual paint other than the three or four colors announced.

M
This is of interest to me. please
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #131
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
I do see better now what you're getting at, makes more sense.

Have you had the chance to drive a current 2/3/4 Series? Even with the EPS software revision the 3 got closer to when the 4 came out, there's very, very, very little feedback through the steering wheel outside of a bit of loading up in cornering. No talk from the tires or anything. It's as precise as can be and the ratio is always great, but there's no feedback.

I really don't know if they remade the EPS because of the suspension differences and the whole package results in better feedback or if the existing system just wouldn't have cut it. My guess is the system in the M3/4, as it's designed, is inherently better at transmitting information from the road to the steering wheel and I sincerely hope it makes its way to the rest of the lineup in short order!
I have driven a 2 series and tested it back to back with a 135i. And I absolutely agree. I think there's not much feedback when the steering is dead center. Once I give come angle to the steering, there's a bit more feedback. The difference with the 135i, however, isn't day and night though. I think that the thick steering wheel in both cars might have taken some road feel away from the cars, but that doesn't explain why the M235i has very little feel in the center steering position.

I have also driven the new A3 as well. It's also EPS, and feels very different. I have more sensation from the steering, because the cabin ISN'T as insulated as the 2-series. I can feel unevenness through the steering, but that's not because it's a better EPS than the 2-series. It is because I feel vibrations through the whole cabin; i.e. I feel the same vibrations through the door handle and seat, as I do through the steering wheel. But, that doesn't mean it's a better system, one that will let me know if I'm understeering on the race track or not. Autocar and AutoExpress both said the steering on the M235i is better than the S3. But of course, the subject of steering feel is very subjective... I wouldn't know unless I drive both cars up to and over the limits myself.

Always, I also hope that the new EPS is better and will make it across the entire lineup. Of course, I also hope for continuously new software upgrades to the existing EPS to improve steering feedback, since I will be picking up my M235i soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #132
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
Really? Because we all still experience brake fade lol
yeah really...the system of course can only provide so much force, so it's really only going to delay felt fade so much. It's called "compensation" for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Is auto start/stop included, and can it be coded to be off by default?
All MY14 and newer BMWs with auto stop/start will remember the last used setting of that system, so if you turn it off once, you'll never have to turn it off again. Pretty guaranteed the M3s and M4s will have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
Did the M3/4 use the same electric power steering unit from the 3/4 series at any time during its development?

If so, why did BMW deem it necessary to build an unique EPS for the M3/4 from the "ground up"? What exactly is 3/4 series' EPS' disadvantage?

Is it possible to improve the steering feel of 3/4 series simply by fitting it the new EPS WITHOUT modifying the suspension?

More importantly, is the new EPS the future of BMW non-M cars?
You answered your own question. The EPS system in the F8x is completely different and has been designed entirely around getting all the right feedback through to the steering wheel without any of the unnecessary vibration, while keeping it efficient and adjustable. There are a few pretty lengthy articles on that here.

The EPS system in the F3x cars is good in the efficiency department but not good at translating useable feedback through to the steering wheel. Some of this is tires, some is suspension, and the rest is qualities inherent to EPS systems.
Compensation? I dont feel it at all. With stock brakes it was good for a bit and then whoa my pedal just went to the floor and my car didnt stop
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread