European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

06-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
jtarvestad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Shipping HRES

anyone have any suggestions for shipping companies for wheels ? Looking for the best deal. I've never shipped wheels before.
Thanks in adavance
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nothing could be more important than the way you pack the box. My suggestion would be to talk to Jon Kohl at HRE and ask him if they can sell you the packing materials they use. They spend a lot more on packaging than just about an other wheel company to ensure their safety and integrity when using a company like UPS or FedEx. I'm sure Jon can and the guys their can help you out. JonK@hrewheel.com
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I shipped voresteiners to Italy via USPS last year.

All I did was leave the tires on, tape layers of cardboard on both sides, and wrapped with more tape.

They arrived safely. I understand the need to box the wheels if they don’t have tires, but tires help in the protecting the rims
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_F80 View Post
Nothing could be more important than the way you pack the box. My suggestion would be to talk to Jon Kohl at HRE and ask him if they can sell you the packing materials they use. They spend a lot more on packaging than just about an other wheel company to ensure their safety and integrity when using a company like UPS or FedEx. I'm sure Jon can and the guys their can help you out. JonK@hrewheel.com
This is true, we do spend a considerable amount of money, substantially more than you would normally think, on specific boxes for these wheels, specific inserts to go with the proper diameter wheels and so forth. Giving a call or email to Jon would certainly work, we can get you some boxes and materials to get those going. Of course, that does mean we will need to ship those boxes to you which will cost money, but at least you'd know for sure they're going to be Ok (I would still insure the packages of course).

Other customers have told me they have had OK luck with going into a UPS store and having the employees there make a custom box, but if you don't want to try that, just reach out to Jon and we'll get you get on order some boxes for your wheels.
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10794.00
Poiseuille5390.00
      06-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

You will need:

1. 1-2 hours of your time

2. Heavy-duty box cutter

3. (4-5) 22"x22.5"x22" double-wall corrugated boxes
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...LBOX/205512613

* Cut the standing height of the box to what you need, but leave enough room for the flaps to close.

* Use the remaining pieces as protective layers

* Use the 5th box as additional protective layer as needed.

4. Stretch Wrap or Heavy Duty Contractor Bag
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1000-ft-...5003/202854037

https://www.target.com/p/heavy-duty-...3/-/A-16397500

* Used to wrap and protect bare wheels

5. Real men's tape dispenser w/ packing tape
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...D-DC/206714848

* Always use an H-pattern when packing boxes; refer to page 6 of the FedEx shipping guideline -- http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/How_To_Pack.pdf

----------------------------

You will end up with something like this once everything is said and done:

* Photos (wheel and tire) are for reference only -- you'll have a much easier time packing bare wheels.

* Please note that there is about 2-3 layers of packing tape over the stretch wrap in the photos below.

* If you take a closer look, you will see two corrugated cardboard pieces affixed on top of each other for extra protection.

Misc information:

* Rough estimate for shipping will be around $50-$60 per wheel. Less if it's in-state or within the same coast.

* RECOMMENDED: You should factor in your time as well as packing materials into the shipping cost.

* Expect to save about 30-40% of shipping cost if you were to combine (not recommended) all 4 wheels into two boxes.

* DO NOT EVER go directly to a UPS Store or FedEx Office to have them process the shipping information, as this will instantly cost you more!

* Regular consumers can save up to 10% by signing up for a free UPS or FedEx account, and processing their own shipping label at home/office.

* It is perfectly OKAY to underestimate the weight and dimensions by an inch or two, as well as, enter a lesser weight of the package by a pound or two. Both FedEx and UPS have automated systems that will scan, measure, and weigh items as it goes through sorting.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by FriedPiston; 06-06-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
This is true, we do spend a considerable amount of money, substantially more than you would normally think, on specific boxes for these wheels, specific inserts to go with the proper diameter wheels and so forth. Giving a call or email to Jon would certainly work, we can get you some boxes and materials to get those going. Of course, that does mean we will need to ship those boxes to you which will cost money, but at least you'd know for sure they're going to be Ok (I would still insure the packages of course).

Other customers have told me they have had OK luck with going into a UPS store and having the employees there make a custom box, but if you don't want to try that, just reach out to Jon and we'll get you get on order some boxes for your wheels.
Agree Boxes are key. Buy them from HRE its not worth taking a risk with any other set up like wrapping them with cardboard.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5390.00
      06-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

When I sent mine back to HRE I went to my local box store. They had boxes already made that fit my wheels. It was like $12 for four boxes.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:

I called months ago and asked for boxes to ship my HREs and was told no we don't have boxes.. or something along those lines. So now HRE has boxes? Can HRE build a box to spec if i gave the measurements?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I called and asked for boxes to ship my HREs and was told no we don't have boxes.. or something along those lines. So now HRE has boxes? Can HRE build a box to spec if i gave the measurements?
Are you calling and asking for Jon specifically ask I mentioned?

EDIT: I just asked all the sales reps in the office and nobody is remembering that call. Everybody here knows that we're ok with selling boxes. Are you calling one of our dealers instead of us directly maybe? If there's a problem, remember, call or email Jon and we'll get you set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Are you calling and asking for Jon specifically ask I mentioned?

EDIT: I just asked all the sales reps in the office and nobody is remembering that call. Everybody here knows that we're ok with selling boxes. Are you calling one of our dealers instead of us directly maybe? If there's a problem, remember, call or email Jon and we'll get you set up.
There is no problem and I called months ago. That is probably why no one that you've asked remembers. Will HRE build a box to spec if i gave the measurements? And yes i called HRE DIRECT at the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
There is no problem and I called months ago. That is probably why no one that you've asked remembers. Will HRE build a box to spec if i gave the measurements?
We have something like 3 or 4 different box sizes depending on what diameter wheel is shipping out. Shoot Jon over an email with those measurements and we'll take a look and see if that matches up with what we have here.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1872.50
      06-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

ShipNerd.com.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Quote:
[SIZE="3"]This is true, we do spend a considerable amount of money, substantially more than you would normally think, on specific boxes for these wheels, specific inserts to go with the proper diameter wheels and so forth. Giving a call or email to Jon would certainly work, we can get you some boxes and materials to get those going. Of course, that does mean we will need to ship those boxes to you which will cost money, but at least you'd know for sure they're going to be Ok (I would still insure the packages of course).

Other customers have told me they have had OK luck with going into a UPS store and having the employees there make a custom box, but if you don't want to try that, just reach out to Jon and we'll get you get on order some boxes for your wheels.[/SIZE]
Agree Boxes are key. Buy them from HRE its not worth taking a risk with any other set up like wrapping them with cardboard.
^^^ +1 (or is it 2?) on this, if these are forged HREs call HRE as suggested
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10794.00
      06-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
TTGTOVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

I just sent 20" volks last month probably cost $20 in materials...everything was good!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
You will need:

1. 1-2 hours of your time

2. Heavy-duty box cutter

3. (4-5) 22"x22.5"x22" double-wall corrugated boxes
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home...LBOX/205512613

* Cut the standing height of the box to what you need, but leave enough room for the flaps to close.

* Use the remaining pieces as protective layers

* Use the 5th box as additional protective layer as needed.

4. Stretch Wrap or Heavy Duty Contractor Bag
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1000-ft-...5003/202854037

https://www.target.com/p/heavy-duty-...3/-/A-16397500

* Used to wrap and protect bare wheels

5. Real men's tape dispenser w/ packing tape
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...D-DC/206714848

* Always use an H-pattern when packing boxes; refer to page 6 of the FedEx shipping guideline -- http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/How_To_Pack.pdf

You will end up with something like this once everything is said and done:

* Photos (wheel and tire) are for reference only -- you'll have a much easier time packing bare wheels.

* Please note that there is about 2-3 layers of packing tape over the stretch wrap in the photos below.

* If you take a closer look, you will see two corrugated cardboard pieces affixed on top of each other for extra protection.

Misc information:

* Rough estimate for shipping will be around $50-$60 per wheel. Less if it's in-state or within the same coast.

* RECOMMENDED: You should factor in your time as well as packing materials into the shipping cost.

* Expect to save about 30-40% of shipping cost if you were to combine (not recommended) all 4 wheels into two boxes.

* DO NOT EVER go directly to a UPS Store or FedEx Office to have them process the shipping information, as this will instantly cost you more!

* Regular consumers can save up to 10% by signing up for a free UPS or FedEx account, and processing their own shipping label at home/office.

* It is perfectly OKAY to underestimate the weight and dimensions by an inch or two, as well as, enter a lesser weight of the package by a pound or two. Both FedEx and UPS have automated systems that will scan, measure, and weigh items as it goes through sorting.

Hope this helps!
If you do it this way, be aware you will pay much more in shipping as UPS and FedEx charge a large premium for odd shaped items such as this.

While shipping 2 together instead of 4, if you include tires it will actually be more as 1 ~120lb box costs more than 2 60lbs boxes. Combination works to your benefit as long as box is under roughly 100 lbs. Price both out if you don’t believe me.

Better and cheaper to wrap as described for protection and purchase a 24x24x12 box for one or 24x24x24 box for 2. You will save box money and more on odd shaped packing. This will not work as wheels with tires mounted will not fit in 24x24 box. You need to go larger.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
If you do it this way, be aware you will pay much more in shipping as UPS and FedEx charge a large premium for odd shaped items such as this.

While shipping 2 together instead of 4, if you include tires it will actually be more as 1 ~120lb box costs more than 2 60lbs boxes. Combination works to your benefit as long as box is under roughly 100 lbs. Price both out if you don’t believe me.

Better and cheaper to wrap as described for protection and purchase a 24x24x12 box for one or 24x24x24 box for 2. You will save box money and more on odd shaped packing. This will not work as wheels with tires mounted will not fit in 24x24 box. You need to go larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_F80 View Post
I agree that would be optimum.

Problem is you need to buy boxes from HRE (or another wheel company) and with boxes that large, UPS and FedEx goes by dimension and not weight. It could easily cost you over $100 just to buy and ship empty boxes to you.

EDIT: It would cost OP roughly $220 to ship EMPTY HRE boxes to his MN Home. Even a 10% discount will be right around $200.

That does not include price of the boxes.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 06-21-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #17
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
ShipNerd.com.
I’ll quote myself. Check them out. I did a lot of research about shipping wheels and their prices are fantastic. You have to package them yourself but when I put in the dimensions and weight, the cost was around $200. They get great reviews on rennlist.
Appreciate 0