Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

12-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #177
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Chances are zero that any F3x or F8x M-car will get the touch-based iDrive seen on the G1x models.
For MY2016, it looks that way, yes. Though I am not ready to go on record saying it will not happen. Later on, however, it is very likely to happen.

Quote:
We'll have info in May about the July production cars.
True, although I've seen info come in April in years past, and this was for September changeover dates. So we might know sooner than May.

Quote:
If you assume ///M cars get a 5 year cycle, it typically works like this:
1st MY - Introduction
2nd MY - LCI, to follow the series cars
3rd MY - Competition package
4th MY - special paint/special edition
5th MY - more special editions, limited production run.
I respectfully suggest you've greatly oversimplified. Two reasons:

- M cars see different lifespans due to the fact that, by and large, the coupes (and even numbered siblings) and sedans (and odd numbered siblings) on the same platform don't see the same gap between introduction as the series models. Many examples exist, but the easiest one to recall might be the E90 M3 and E92 M3. In fact, the sedan actually trailed the coupe (slightly in the US, by almost a year elsewhere) but bowed out much earlier than the coupe due to the series car going out earlier. The F8x M3/M4 will face a very similar situation.

- For a given M coupe/sedan pair, there will be two respective LCI's, just as there will with the series counterparts. At either point, You have potential for "major" changes that crossover and span all models on the platform, just as with the series cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #178
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Regarding the touch-screen nav coming to F8x cars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
For MY2016, it looks that way, yes. Though I am not ready to go on record saying it will not happen. Later on, however, it is very likely to happen.
"Very likely"? I'd say the opposite. Technically the F3x-based cars (including the M3/M4) are getting a bit old, having been finalized in design and debuting over 3 years ago in 2011. We have already seen one major shift in Nav/technology, as the F3x went from CIC to NBT a couple of years ago. To expect that the same platform will see another (third) major shift near the end of it's lifecycle would be unprecedented for BMW.

Knowing BMW, only the Gxx cars will support the "new" NBT touch navigation. The same way that only the Fxx cars support NBT today. Just like everything Exx based, got maxed at CIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #179
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the touch-screen nav coming to F8x cars:

"Very likely"? I'd say the opposite. Technically the F3x-based cars (including the M3/M4) are getting a bit old,
The 4 Series has only been on the market for about a year. So they will be in production for almost six more years. In my opinion, given the pace that in-car computer systems evolve now, that is simply too long to go without any new technology. So, I suspect they'll be forced by market demand to upgrade before then. And I think that, with that in mind, they'll choose to do it sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #180
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm not very keen on touch screens in cars. I'll be interested to to see how it works. Currently in the industry I've seen the terrible Jguar Land Rover applications and actually not much more.

I'm sure some are great.
      12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #181
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

You guys are making me nuts. Just ordered a basically loaded 15' M3 that should start production Jan 15. Now I wanna wait.. great..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #182
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The 4 Series has only been on the market for about a year. So they will be in production for almost six more years. In my opinion, given the pace that in-car computer systems evolve now, that is simply too long to go without any new technology. So, I suspect they'll be forced by market demand to upgrade before then. And I think that, with that in mind, they'll choose to do it sooner than later.
True, it's only been on the market for a year, but the basic technology and chassis of the F3x has been developed for 5+ years. The chassis architecture itself may simply not support the wiring or other hardware components needed for a major Nav change. Best example: the E84 and E89. Those cars are still rocking CIC Nav, even in MY2015!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM2 View Post
Hmm not very keen on touch screens in cars. I'll be interested to to see how it works. Currently in the industry I've seen the terrible Jguar Land Rover applications and actually not much more.

I'm sure some are great.
I had touch screen Nav in my old Honda Accord, and my wife has it in her CR-V. It's not great. iDrive is better, faster, and less likely to return false inputs from touch. Certainly BMW will do better than Honda, but it's no panacea.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #183
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Android M is coming!

Everybody hold off for 2 years! Android M is coming!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JW2PS20141218

(Reuters) - Google Inc (GOOGL.O) is laying the groundwork for a version of Android that would be built directly into cars, sources said, allowing drivers to enjoy all the benefits of the Internet without even plugging in their smartphones.

The move is a major step up from Google's current Android Auto software, which comes with the latest version of its smartphone operating system and requires a phone to be plugged into a compatible car with a built-in screen to access streaming music, maps and other apps. The first such vehicles will debut in 2015.

Google, however, has never provided details or a timeframe for its long-term plan to put Android Auto directly into cars. The company now plans to do so when it rolls out the next version of its operating system, dubbed Android M, expected in a year or so, two people with knowledge of the matter said.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #184
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

All this stuff is crazy, I'm basic. Standard 09+ e9x idrive is enough, IMO. Even no idrive is alright. All this internet + driving stuff.. not for me.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #185
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

I prefer a seperated control panel that we have now. I don't like touchscreens simply cause I feel they're filthy after a while. Plus having my right hand rest down is easy to do and control than to reach up to touch a panel. That said, I think BMW is just putting in their cars cause many other car brands has it already. Its easy to picture "My Honda has touchscreen controls and your BMW doesn't! Nya na na na na!". If it doesn't work well I do without.

I really want to see the 6 series fog lights already on and 3 and 5 series as part of LCI. M cars unlikely but feel like that setup is about due to show up in other models. Ventilated seats also would be nice with leg extender. Something like this I think shouldn't add too much weight. Active seats would be pushing it.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #186
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
I really want to see the 6 series fog lights already on and 3 and 5 series as part of LCI.
Those LED fog lights on the 6-series are the ultimate example of "me too" design. Even the most basic cars/trucks have "tacked on" looking LED running lamps these days, all Christmas-tree-bulb-looking. Bleeeuuuch. Just give me nice LED halos and call it a day.
http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/led-ligh...00s-1515947478
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #187
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, it's only been on the market for a year, but the basic technology and chassis of the F3x has been developed for 5+ years. The chassis architecture itself may simply not support the wiring or other hardware components needed for a major Nav change. Best example: the E84 and E89. Those cars are still rocking CIC Nav, even in MY2015!
Perhaps. We'll see if they put more forethought into the F* chassis. Vehicle information systems were a much more important part of the package when the F3x was conceived than when the E9x was conceived.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #188
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Everybody hold off for 2 years! Android M is coming!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JW2PS20141218

(Reuters) - Google Inc (GOOGL.O) is laying the groundwork for a version of Android that would be built directly into cars, sources said, allowing drivers to enjoy all the benefits of the Internet without even plugging in their smartphones.

The move is a major step up from Google's current Android Auto software, which comes with the latest version of its smartphone operating system and requires a phone to be plugged into a compatible car with a built-in screen to access streaming music, maps and other apps. The first such vehicles will debut in 2015.

Google, however, has never provided details or a timeframe for its long-term plan to put Android Auto directly into cars. The company now plans to do so when it rolls out the next version of its operating system, dubbed Android M, expected in a year or so, two people with knowledge of the matter said.
That's it. ~cancelled order~

(Lest anyone take this for anything more than the jest it was said in......despite this news, I am not cancelling my order)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #189
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Quote:
Those LED fog lights on the 6-series are the ultimate example of "me too" design. Even the most basic cars/trucks have "tacked on" looking LED running lamps these days, all Christmas-tree-bulb-looking. Bleeeuuuch. Just give me nice LED halos and call it a day.
http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/led-ligh...00s-1515947478
Yea the look is the same but its "purpose" is different (fogs vs daytime running). Now the trend seems to be solid line looking lights so that it just doesn't look dots bunched together.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #190
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
Yea the look is the same but its "purpose" is different (fogs vs daytime running). Now the trend seems to be solid line looking lights so that it just doesn't look dots bunched together.
Is the touch screen nav supposed to be a hybrid? Something where you can still use an iDrive controller or touch the screen?

If that's case then it's fine with me.

Going all touch screen would be terrible unless they go the Tesla route and put a huge and responsive screen in (not happening).

Besides looking grimy, you almost always take your eyes off the road longer when you use touch, plus the screen is always too low because you need to reach it. A controller is great because the screen can be placed at eye level allowing you to still watch the road, plus some adjustments can be made without even looking at the screen (zooming in or out in nav mode).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #191
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

My wife drives a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. The Infotainment system in that thing had a touch interface. It, by far, is the best system I have ever used. It actually was shocking to me when I first tried it out. My expectations were low and they were far exceeded. If BMW goes touch there is hope it can be a great experience.
      12-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #192
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Those LED fog lights on the 6-series are the ultimate example of "me too" design. Even the most basic cars/trucks have "tacked on" looking LED running lamps these days, all Christmas-tree-bulb-looking. Bleeeuuuch.
100% agreed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #193
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

LCI will be tails, probably a bump in power, maybe some new carbon fiber bobbins released concurrently.

Most appealing to me would be if the four extra colors become standard like in Canada. Or just more colors. And maybe a new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #194
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Not sure if it's in this long thread but Scott26 eluded to that the LCI will see more interior chrome for a more "upscale" look. Chrome around vents etc...yikes.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #195
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Not sure if it's in this long thread but Scott26 eluded to that the LCI will see more interior chrome for a more "upscale" look. Chrome around vents etc...yikes.
now that would be terrible.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #196
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
At the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas next month, BMW will be demonstrating a research vehicle that is equipped with the Remote Valet Parking Assistant feature.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchow...-a-smartwatch/

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:20 AM   #197
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
I don't know why people are surprised every time. Look at the E90 M3 (introduced in 2008, LCI in 2009 with new taillights, new iDrive, etc.) and the F10 M5 (introduced 2012, LCI in 2014 with new lights, grills, Comp Pack, etc.).

Personally, I think it's worth waiting and picking up the first year of the LCI F80 M3.
I agree definitely of what you have said here. Only thing I wondered is why the E92 took so long to receive an LCI upgrade. But the M5 in the US just took one year model to receive the LCI upgrade which I am sure you are aware of. I am trying to imagine what the 2016 M3 LCI upgrades will be. Because the car looks so good already, besides the rear lights, but that is just my bias opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #198
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I hate touch screen. Raptor has it. I hate seeing my dirty nasty prints all over the screen when the light hits it just right.

And seeing how high up the current screen is it would be awkward to lean forward to Just touch a button
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread