proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Dealership Repair procedures

Does BMW provide the technicians at the dealership with step by step procedures to use in vehicle repairs? If so, has anyone ever gotten the procedures from the dealership for a particular service they performed?

I recently had rear differential on my MY17 M4 replaced under warranty and now have unacceptable vibration and droning noise above 60mph. After multiple attempts, the shop foreman can't figure it out. I just want to see what all was touched, directly or indirectly, during the replacement. I feel the noise and vibration is due to driveshaft harmonics created by not connecting the driveshaft back correctly to the rear differential.

Last edited by AgentBishop; 02-16-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...aft/1VnXnVmCcM
Appreciate 5
      02-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Wow that’s a great find... Very Cool..

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post

Wow that’s a great find... Very Cool..

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
When you are dealing with OEM Repairs, there is always step by step procedures. When you produce a million cars a year you cannot just tell your dealers to "swap out the part". OEM's are very specific. That does not mean the tech followed it correctly

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Perfect! Thanks!

I wish I was able to determine if the tech followed this perfectly. Because the first few lines in the link say...

"Attention!

The propeller shaft and rear axle differential are mutually balanced. When installing, the propeller shaft must be bolted back onto the rear axle differential at the same position!

Failure to comply will result in humming and vibrations!"

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The above site is a dump of the BMW diagnosis tool that also contains everything else... ISTA+. And yes BMW techs are obliged to follow step by step the BMW prescribed procedures even if they instantly know what the issue is... and sometimes customers have to waster their time bcoz of those silly procedures.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBishop View Post
Perfect! Thanks!

I wish I was able to determine if the tech followed this perfectly. Because the first few lines in the link say...

"Attention!

The propeller shaft and rear axle differential are mutually balanced. When installing, the propeller shaft must be bolted back onto the rear axle differential at the same position!

Failure to comply will result in humming and vibrations!"

You can check. Here's a photo of the driveshaft I just removed from my F80. The green dot and white paint mark are there from the factory, and correspond to a white mark on the diff housing.

Sorry for potato quality, but the heat shields and exhaust are in the way again. You can just see the edge of the housing where the end of the driveshaft meets the 2" nut on the diff housing. The white mark should align with the green dot of the driveshaft, if my memory is correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the photos. Would have been really helpful.

The dealership has it now and the regional bmw technician came down to drive it and make an assessment...but before he came, I sent an email to my service advisor saying I felt the vibration and noise was coming from drive shaft harmonics. When the technician arrived, he said to replace the driveshaft. I get the feeling they realized it was their mistake when putting the rear diff in because they didn't follow procedures and don't want to admit as much. I know if the dealership can't prove there is a problem, then BMW won't pay for anything under warranty. So, if a new drive shaft fixes it...bmw pays and not the dealership. I think...

I pick the car up tomorrow and test drive with shop foreman before I accept it back. I'm goin to bring this up for sure.
2006 BMW 330i Sedan Manual (Sold)
1992 BMW 325i Sedan (Sold)

Last edited by AgentBishop; 02-28-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the photos. Would have been really helpful.

The dealership has it now and the regional bmw technician came down to drive it and make an assessment...but before he came, I sent an email to my service advisor saying I felt the vibration and noise was coming from drive shaft harmonics. When the technician arrived, he said to replace the driveshaft. I get the feeling they realized it was their mistake when putting the rear diff in because they didn't follow procedures and don't want to admit as much. I know if the dealership can't prove there is a problem, then BMW won't pay for anything under warranty. So, if a new drive shaft fixes it...bmw pays and not the dealership. I think...

I pick the car up tomorrow and test drive with shop foreman before I accept it back. I'm goin to bring this up for sure.
Don't take my word as gospel. I had no intention of ever reinstalling this driveshaft on this car, so I didn't take any photos of it when it was installed. It may be that the tech needs to mark the location of the green dot with relation to the housing if the existing mark is different. Edit: TIS backs me up. The marks should align.

Either way, I hope they sort you out and keep us updated.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 02-28-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Picked it up today. Shop foreman said he was aware of the marks(as he should be) and verified the differential replacement procedures were accomplished correctly prior to starting the driveshaft/guibo replacement procedures. I'll take his word for it because he seems like a good dude...and because it doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

We test drove the car when I picked it up today and though it seemed slightly better...it still isn't perfect. I'm going to drive it for a few days and see how it goes. I may have to just live with it. That's hard to accept for an $80k car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #12
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
We test drove the car when I picked it up today and though it seemed slightly better...it still isn't perfect. I'm going to drive it for a few days and see how it goes. I may have to just live with it. That's hard to accept for an $80k car.
Sorry to hear that. Is there another F80/82 in the area you can test drive to compare? You shouldn't have to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
AgentBishop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the late reply...must have missed it.
I test drove an M3(it was perfect) and then my M4 with the wheels off of the M3(still had the vibration issues.

The latest...After replacing the driveshaft and guibo...the vibration is gone and the humming noise is barely noticeable, if at all(I may be hearing things at this point). That just may be a part of the car and not an issue.
Steering is still an issue. It doesn't pull either direction any more but it seems to require more force to turn right as it does to turn left. Like I'm always on a road that crowns to the left. Also, the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left now. Seem like they compensated the alignment to address my previous issue of pulling hard to the right. Other than that...its much better.
Appreciate 0