EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp.

My 2017 M3 ZCP 2,000 Mile Review

Well, I'm 2,000 miles in. 1 Oil change/Break in service in. 2 Different states, highway miles, city miles, country road miles.

I figured I'd post some pics, and share my thoughts on the everyday drive, feel and performance of the M3.

This is my first BMW I've ever bought. By far the fastest I've had. (my current DD is my 2013 Volkswagen CC r-line)

LOOKS:

AWESOME! You really can't appreciate this car via pictures. The lines on it, the lights, the wide body, it just works. I went with MW and SO full interior. I would definitely recommend the Full leather. Just gives a premium feel on the interior. It's simple, yet sophisticated and just works. Especially if you don't drive it every day, when you get inside of it, and wrap your hands around the thick steering wheel, just feels great.

The 666's wheels are awesome. They look great when they are parked, and look great when you're on the road. Again, go for the comp package, or at least the upgraded wheels. Definitely worth it.

PERFORMANCE:

Given that I was coming from a 200hp VW CC. When I first started driving the M3, it obviously felt like a rocket ship. Warning, after driving it for a few weeks, you will definitely get kinda "used" to the power. This is also because you can't (not supposed to) go over 5,000 rpm. Once you get an oil change and break it in properly, shifting down to 3rd gear while on the highway, and passing a few vehicles, looking down and notice you're at 105mph within what felt like 2 seconds, it's an awesome feeling.

Even in 6th gear, when in SPORT + mode, it has un-believable pickup and usually enough to pass cars up.

Keep it in Sport + or at least Sport mode. You will hear the crackling sounds in the exhaust, more performance and just more fun. Why on earth would you ever keep it on efficient? Silly. I love the rev match when In Sport mode.

6 speed. Get it. Don't be lame. This car is a drivers car. Manual just feels right. you control it. Unless you are going to become a professional race car driver, and that extra .2 of a second matter to you when it comes to shifting, by all means get the auto. Lame.

Everyday Drive-ability:

Yes. You. Can. The car is a rough ride, it's no luxury sedan. It's not a Lincoln or caddy. But, it's the right amount of stiffness. It's a sports car, get used to your head bobbing up and down once in a while. It feels great taking an exit turn going 80 and it just hugs the road.

It will also take you a bit to get used to the seats. At first I noticed lower back pain/discomfort in the beginning. Once you get used to it, you won't ever notice and discomfort. They are not bad.

Worth it:

After researching the car for over a year, dreaming about it for 5 years, waiting 2 months for it to finishing building, and spending all the money that I did. I can say yes, it's worth it. LIfe is short, if you have always dreamed of an M3, and have the financial means in doing so, do it. Sure I have some days looking at a 80k machine in my garage, when it's snowing and I can't drive it, and thinking why the hell did I spend so much money on something I cant drive all year. But when you DO drive it. You feel like a new person. That feeling is worth it to me.

Keep it clean. Wipe it down every night. The cleaner you keep it, the more fun it will be to drive. Once you let it get dirty, and don't care anymore, that's when you will think of trading it in or saying how it's not worth it anymore. Don't be lazy, take care of your shit.

I've included some pics. Enjoy. As I will definitely take advantage of this sunny, 10 degree weather in south central Wisconsin. GO PACKERS!

I couldn't upload pics for whatever reason, so here's a link where you can see some.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VU?usp=sharing

Last edited by bonsta101; 01-08-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 5
Biorin2784.50
f80NJ17210.00
rr006rbc1205.00
      01-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Welcome to the family.. The photos have to be in a certain format and size to upload.

Nice "M" Gloves haha
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsta101 View Post
Well, I'm 2,000 miles in. 1 Oil change/Break in service in. 2 Different states, highway miles, city miles, country road miles.

I figured I'd post some pics, and share my thoughts on the everyday drive, feel and performance of the M3.

This is my first BMW I've ever bought. By far the fastest I've had. (my current DD is my 2013 Volkswagen CC r-line)

LOOKS:

AWESOME! You really can't appreciate this car via pictures. The lines on it, the lights, the wide body, it just works. I went with MW and SO full interior. I would definitely recommend the Full leather. Just gives a premium feel on the interior. It's simple, yet sophisticated and just works. Especially if you don't drive it every day, when you get inside of it, and wrap your hands around the thick steering wheel, just feels great.

The 666's wheels are awesome. They look great when they are parked, and look great when you're on the road. Again, go for the comp package, or at least the upgraded wheels. Definitely worth it.

PERFORMANCE:

Given that I was coming from a 200hp VW CC. When I first started driving the M3, it obviously felt like a rocket ship. Warning, after driving it for a few weeks, you will definitely get kinda "used" to the power. This is also because you can't (not supposed to) go over 5,000 rpm. Once you get an oil change and break it in properly, shifting down to 3rd gear while on the highway, and passing a few vehicles, looking down and notice you're at 105mph within what felt like 2 seconds, it's an awesome feeling.

Even in 6th gear, when in SPORT + mode, it has un-believable pickup and usually enough to pass cars up.

Keep it in Sport + or at least Sport mode. You will hear the crackling sounds in the exhaust, more performance and just more fun. Why on earth would you ever keep it on efficient? Silly. I love the rev match when In Sport mode.

6 speed. Get it. Don't be lame. This car is a drivers car. Manual just feels right. you control it. Unless you are going to become a professional race car driver, and that extra .2 of a second matter to you when it comes to shifting, by all means get the auto. Lame.

Everyday Drive-ability:

Yes. You. Can. The car is a rough ride, it's no luxury sedan. It's not a Lincoln or caddy. But, it's the right amount of stiffness. It's a sports car, get used to your head bobbing up and down once in a while. It feels great taking an exit turn going 80 and it just hugs the road.

It will also take you a bit to get used to the seats. At first I noticed lower back pain/discomfort in the beginning. Once you get used to it, you won't ever notice and discomfort. They are not bad.

Worth it:

After researching the car for over a year, dreaming about it for 5 years, waiting 2 months for it to finishing building, and spending all the money that I did. I can say yes, it's worth it. LIfe is short, if you have always dreamed of an M3, and have the financial means in doing so, do it. Sure I have some days looking at a 80k machine in my garage, when it's snowing and I can't drive it, and thinking why the hell did I spend so much money on something I cant drive all year. But when you DO drive it. You feel like a new person. That feeling is worth it to me.

Keep it clean. Wipe it down every night. The cleaner you keep it, the more fun it will be to drive. Once you let it get dirty, and don't care anymore, that's when you will think of trading it in or saying how it's not worth it anymore. Don't be lazy, take care of your shit.

I've included some pics. Enjoy. As I will definitely take advantage of this sunny, 10 degree weather in south central Wisconsin. GO PACKERS!

I couldn't upload pics for whatever reason, so here's a link where you can see some.

Nice detailed review. My order gets processed tomorrow and my only fear all along has been the CP seats, absolutely love the package but have lingering doubts. This could possibly be the deal breaker, Wife/little one need an ounce of refinement, unfortunately....Besides, summer time constantly commuting a 31/2 hour drive from Fairfield County to Cape Cod, need to be sure. I too going MW but with black interior, If I do Go ZCP it will be equipped with 19' 437's. Go GIANTS!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
ktc
Private
Rep
Drives: blue beast

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Great review -- just picked up my car last weekend and so far it's been a blast.

I like your photo of driving around on the 666m+MPSS in 10F weather... sometimes I think about the Michelin warning about how the tire compound will be damaged in such low temperature (and "must warm up over 24 hours to >40F before driving") but am glad that ignorance is bliss
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc View Post
Great review -- just picked up my car last weekend and so far it's been a blast.

I like your photo of driving around on the 666m+MPSS in 10F weather... sometimes I think about the Michelin warning about how the tire compound will be damaged in such low temperature (and "must warm up over 24 hours to >40F before driving") but am glad that ignorance is bliss
Ha. I didn't pay 80k for something I'm not going to drive when it's cold. I'll buy new tires when these go bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:

LOOKS:

PERFORMANCE:

Everyday Drive-ability:

Worth it:

I appreciate an honest review about the ride of this car. Heavy 20s along with a thin sidewall of the 30 profile tire that comes on it generally are two giveaways. Bottom line here is that they are quite jarring even in comfort mode.

One of the reasons why I wish I got 18s but the 19s are about the same.
      01-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Driving gloves are grounds for a lifetime ban from this forum. At least they should be.

Appreciate 4
Biorin2784.50
ando2006.00
      01-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL3 View Post
Nice detailed review. My order gets processed tomorrow and my only fear all along has been the CP seats, absolutely love the package but have lingering doubts. This could possibly be the deal breaker, Wife/little one need an ounce of refinement, unfortunately....Besides, summer time constantly commuting a 31/2 hour drive from Fairfield County to Cape Cod, need to be sure. I too going MW but with black interior, If I do Go ZCP it will be equipped with 19' 437's. Go GIANTS!!!!
The CP seats are very comfortable. I drove the car seven hours from Southern California to Northern California and my back felt fine after the trip.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Congratulations! My opinions are similar. Save the manuals.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
yojimbo1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Nice review. I'm picking up my 2017 ZCP M3 at the PCD this week
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloGabriel View Post
Quote:
The CP seats are very comfortable. I drove the car seven hours from Southern California to Northern California and my back felt fine after the trip.
Please tell me, artificial sound I've heard lessens with ZCP, can you confirm??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The M gloves HAVE to go, lol. The MPSS in 10 degree weather will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. It's not about ruining the tires. It's about crashing the F-cking car and killing yourself or someone else in the process.

Trust me, I got caught in an inch of unexpected snow the week before Christmas and the car hasn't been out of the garage since.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The M gloves HAVE to go, lol. The MPSS in 10 degree weather will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. It's not about ruining the tires. It's about crashing the F-cking car and killing yourself or someone else in the process.

Trust me, I got caught in an inch of unexpected snow the week before Christmas and the car hasn't been out of the garage since.
I was caught couple years back in a 335Is...Never ever again, that bad, so I can equate.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

lol at the driving gloves
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
lol at the driving gloves
Weren't they "M" gloves?? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:05 AM   #16
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey how did your giants do?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #17
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey how did your giants do?
Hah!! Beckham' fault....End result when hanging on a boat with Bieber.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
SpearoAndy
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 ZCP

OP, be careful parking your car. It looks like in one of this pictures you are parked with the front grill sitting on the curb.

...and those gloves are the worst.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

Quote:
I cannot tell you as I coded off Active Sound the moment I drove out of the dealer lot. As soon as I signed the paperwork I went to get the car coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloGabriel View Post
Quote:
I cannot tell you as I coded off Active Sound the moment I drove out of the dealer lot. As soon as I signed the paperwork I went to get the car coded.
Wow, that was quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #22
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Welcome to the family.. The photos have to be in a certain format and size to upload.

Nice "M" Gloves haha
Yea, really need those gloves to drive 80MPH on the highway.
Appreciate 0