Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
Yeah. Wheels got snatched in Parma overnight. But, even though that happened, the BMW insurance has been excellent so far (as the OP mentioned).

And Italy is beautiful. Lake Como was absolutely our favorite so far. I took a video driving around the lake to show the experience. When I get back, I'll post it up. The OP's assessment is spot on - hair raising, but a blast.
Wow so sorry to hear about the theft! Hope your trip was not disrupted too much.

Really looking forward to your video!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #46
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Congratulations on your new M4 and your European delivery.

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip. And I can vouch Italy is worth it! My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Florence. Visited Venice as well and spent some time in the rest of the Tuscany region.
It's as you describe it, very beautiful, great food and wine! Crazed scooterists lol (hit that right on).

Enjoy and stay safe.
      07-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Great read, Thanks for posting.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #48
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Awesome write-up. The Adriatic coast is beautiful, even more so on the Croatian and Montenegro's side. Enjoy your ride for many years to come!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #49
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I did Italy also after the wife asked that we go to Venice. It was great but a little nerve wracking in Venice when the parking garage guy puts the cars 12 inches apart with pieces of cardboard between cars and then tells me to leave the keys in the car. I was nervous and paused and he looked at me and said, we are insured, if we break it we get you another one. I had a 1M and you can't get another one, it took over a year to get the single allocation so I was nervous but in the end it all worked out. People were very friendly after leaving the more reserved Germany and Austria.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #50
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Really nice write up! Italy is such a great country to drive in. I've been there five times already this year and planning a nice drive thru the Dominites next month! Only things I would add are...

Make sure you have an Austrian(or Swiss) Vignette BEFORE leaving Germany. .............
Great post - had forgotten some of these and really glad I checked you images!!
      07-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #51
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I did Italy also after the wife asked that we go to Venice. It was great but a little nerve wracking in Venice when the parking garage guy puts the cars 12 inches apart with pieces of cardboard between cars and then tells me to leave the keys in the car. I was nervous and paused and he looked at me and said, we are insured, if we break it we get you another one. I had a 1M and you can't get another one, it took over a year to get the single allocation so I was nervous but in the end it all worked out. People were very friendly after leaving the more reserved Germany and Austria.

Congrats!

Another tip for you guys who MUST go to Venice(everyone should go at least once in their life!!)... my advice is to stay on a small island/peninsula called: Jesolo (30016 Jesolo VE, Italy) sometimes it's called Lido di Jesolo... its a nice island... tallest buildings are ten stories by local zoning law. Stay at one of the many nice hotels in that area... mostly only German's and Austrian go to Jesolo. When in Italy ALWAYS park in a garage or secure hotel parking area with a GATE!

A nice hotel that I like in Jesolo is "Hotel Lido". lidojesolo.com

Most every hotel in Jesolo has a reserved section on the beach, with table and chairs. This is a family seaside town. At night(7pm) they close the main one way road that runs the four miles along the beach... the stores stay open until 11pm. Its a nice area. At the end of the island of Jesolo is also a water park called Aqualandria. hey have a slide that you can get up to 135 kph going down this water slide!! NOT for the faint of heart!

When you want to go to Venice you can take a boat/ship from the beach or drive to the Southern end of the island (10km's away) pay a few euros(~8) to park your car in a secure area. Take the public water-bus ships(~8 euros for a 24 hour ticket) from Jesolo into Venice. THE only way to enter Venice is taking a boat right into Via San Marco. This is THE way everyone should be introduced to Venice. You can even get off of one of the "other" ship stops on the way. Murano-Burano is a nice island on the water-bus ride into Venice!

here are some pics...

Name:  Jesolo map.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  478.0 KB

Name:  DSC05937.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  a Vespa made four-wheeler.JPG
Views: 931
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  DCP12759.JPG
Views: 951
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  DCP12768.JPG
Views: 941
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  DCP12880.JPG
Views: 929
Size:  216.1 KB

Name:  DCP12924.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  DCP12929a.JPG
Views: 941
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  DSC00903.JPG
Views: 934
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  DSC00671.JPG
Views: 934
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  1.8.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  1.5.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  1.9.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  Venezia Piazza San Marco.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  402.8 KB

Name:  DSC06051.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  DSC06046.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  DSC06068.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  DSC06011.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  139.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #52
MCHL
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Dat white!!!!! Dat roof!!!! Love them!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #53
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
You'll be a rock star with the Telepass and an M3. The Autostrada near Bologna can get fairly congested a few of them intersect there. We got stuck in traffic for an hour near Bologna travelling from Florence to Venice on the weekend. This happened close to noon.

What did you order for your M3?
I created an account but unfortunately they require a license plate number which I don't think is possible to retrieve at this point in time. Well, it was worth a try.

My M3 has these options:

- Alpine white on full black leather.
- Sunroof.
- Black 19s
- Executive package.
- HK audio.
- Rear sunshade.

Question, anyone here who has experience of using an American ( no chip ) credit card in the toll booths?

Crap, bad luck with getting the wheels stolen! So no wheel adapter needed on the F8X 19s as was the case with the optional 19s on the E9X?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #54
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Very nice post. Well said. I spent 3.5 months vacationing with my family all across Western Europe last summer, so I enjoyed listening to your comments and advice (and relating, a lot). Again, nice post.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #55
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Good tips

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #56
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Great write MT - how long do you have to wait from hand back until you see it again over the pond?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I was able to use my credit card on the booths that accepted them. I could have probably found the right booth to use it on all of them, but there wasn't a lot of time to dally around to find the right lane. Canadian cards are chip enabled and that works in Europe too.

Look into the Telepass though. That thing would have been the shit.

I don't know probably because they would have me pegged for the guy who they stick with the higher priced menu. I will say that a lot of the waiters were quite surprised when tipped generously. Europeans are apparently cheap tippers. I kept to my habits, though, even if I did get the 'special' menu.
They are cheap generally when it comes to gratuity, but you have to look out for the "coperto" this is their table charge and usually covers the tip and or gratuity, so in essence you may have been double tipping. Usually it will state on the menu if coperto is included. My wife and I were there in June and if the service was exceptional we tipped anyway.

I will say this, go to the local side in Florance across Pont de Vecchio, the food blows away the center of Florence since its basically tourist trap oriented.
      07-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #58
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Fantastic post and congratulations!

I admire your fortitude! Every time I have driven in Italy (particularly in the larger cities - Florence is the worst) I have been glad I was in a rental!! I'm very glad you completed your trip without any damage to your car!
Funny you say that lol. I was born in Europe, visited quite a few different places and I 100% agree Florence was the absolute scariest place even as a taxi passanger...

My story is like this short and sweet. We land in Florence, naturally we need a taxi to take us to the hotel, so there is a short ramp where "everyone stands in line" to get a cab...strange but whatever. Our turn comes up I flag the taxi guy right, yep he sees me starts to pull up, mind you there is some sort of 18-24 inch curb/wall at the taxi lot this guy cuts into the curb drags his whole right side of the bumper ripping of the rivets off his Lancia van lol, wife and I were like .
Him, nothing not a flinch, he slides open his sliding door seems like he shoves us in, tosses our luggage every wich way and after I tell him the adress it was F1 qualifying all the way to hotel Calzaiuoli.

ANd I bullshit you not, upon our travels in Florence, every car had a dent, scrape, gash or whatever form of bumper car damage comes in the Tuscany region.

I managed to find a diamond in the rough that didnt have much damge however it just happend to be a 1er.
Oh and that white Mr. Bean car thing lmao
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 07-20-2014 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #59
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good write up!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
Wow, just wow (epic slow golf clap).

You sir should be commended for post of the year.

Just wow.

congrats on the new wheels
+1
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #61
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I don't know probably because they would have me pegged for the guy who they stick with the higher priced menu. I will say that a lot of the waiters were quite surprised when tipped generously. Europeans are apparently cheap tippers. I kept to my habits, though, even if I did get the 'special' menu.
Probably because tipping isn't required in Italy.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #62
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Curious about the wind noise comment - would def have expected newer models to improve in this regard - had not read this comment on other reviews, any more specifics i.e. only at certain speeds or...?

Also the Sport/Sport+ exhaust drone: I wonder how much of this might be related to the sound amplified via mic (i.e. ported in) vs 'true' drone?
Sound deadening v weight reduction seems to result in a bit of a trade-off. I noticed at the auto show photos that they didn't add any hood insulation for instance. The Car & Driver comparo with the 911 measured the interior sound level at 68 db at 70 mph, which is pretty good and on par with what I could find on my e90.The Spanish magazine recent comparo between the M3 v M4, on the other hand, had it at 72 dbA at 120 kph.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=Spanish

I will say that there is more noise, but not dramatically more or annoyingly more. This is at a minimum of 120 kph.

The exhaust drone I think has to do with the exhaust bypass valves in the mufflers but it could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leletyM3 View Post
Nice write up! Is your M4 AW or Mineral White? I miss Italy and I really want to do a ED!
Mineral White. What I liked about it was the way it light up in bright conditions like AW, but took on deeper hues in shadows.

Quote:
@Zero4910 & @M4TW

The M3/M4's use Castrol SAF-XJ (API GL5, 75W140 weight) as a factory fill oil for the diff. BMW NA uses the same oil but with a friction modifier(+FM). BMW calls it SAF-XJ+FM

The reason why BMW NA uses the +FM oil, is to cut down on customer complaints from a noisy differentiation operation at low(parking) speeds.

When parking(or doing full lock turning) you might notice some grinding or shatter from the diff's clutch pack. This is not a harmful/deferential noise, but BMW NA doesn't want customers to be upset with their new cars... so they spec an oil that eliminates this "chatter". BMW also says once you start using +FM oil, you shall always use it. There is no going back to the regular oil.

REAR DIFFERENTIAL OILS:
bmw p/n 83 22 2 282 583 SAE 75W-140 SAF-XJ + FM BOOSTER (you get 3, 0.5l bottles)
bmw p/n 83 22 1 470 080 SAF XJ w/o Friction Modifier (1, 0.5l bottle)

German BMW dealers do not stock this gear oil(!)... but they can order it and get it the next day or in a few days(depending on how they order it). My local BMW dealer(Zentrum) gets two delivers from BMW AG every day!

The +FM oil is not cheap, I think around 130 euros for the three, 0.5l bottles, over here in Germany.

Also note IF you have your manual trans oil changed, most German doeals only stock the MTF-LT3 oil used for the e9x M3's. The 1M and the new F8x M3's/M4's use MTF-LT5 trans oil! So double check what your dealer uses. (of course BMW says a trans oil change is not needed at 2K kms... but I would do it).

All the 1M owners went thru this same ordeal when the 1M came out. You would think BMW would have learned it's lesson then.
CORRECT 1M Fluids List [Engine, Transmission, Differential]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620282

Attachment 1062379

Attachment 1062380

Attachment 1062381
Thanks for the informative post. I might have looked into acquiring some before leaving Munich. Imagine what a baller you'd be if you showed up for your break-in service in Europe with your own differential oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
Great post, OP. Love your car!

Just be careful where you park if you can help it. This happened to me in Parma the night before last.
OMFG! I never saw anything like that before. It looks like they tried to rip off your trunk lip too and just ended up breaking it. I'm glad you're back on the road again and hope that it is smooth sailing for the rest of your trip. I can't wait to see the video and your report. Also I am sure many posters would appreciate learning about your experience with insurance and BMW while on ED.

A pox on those responsible.

Quote:
Another tip for you guys who MUST go to Venice(everyone should go at least once in their life!!)... my advice is to stay on a small island/peninsula called: Jesolo (30016 Jesolo VE, Italy) sometimes it's called Lido di Jesolo... its a nice island... tallest buildings are ten stories by local zoning law. Stay at one of the many nice hotels in that area... mostly only German's and Austrian go to Jesolo. When in Italy ALWAYS park in a garage or secure hotel parking area with a GATE!

A nice hotel that I like in Jesolo is "Hotel Lido". lidojesolo.com

Most every hotel in Jesolo has a reserved section on the beach, with table and chairs. This is a family seaside town. At night(7pm) they close the main one way road that runs the four miles along the beach... the stores stay open until 11pm. Its a nice area. At the end of the island of Jesolo is also a water park called Aqualandria. hey have a slide that you can get up to 135 kph going down this water slide!! NOT for the faint of heart!

When you want to go to Venice you can take a boat/ship from the beach or drive to the Southern end of the island (10km's away) pay a few euros(~8) to park your car in a secure area. Take the public water-bus ships(~8 euros for a 24 hour ticket) from Jesolo into Venice. THE only way to enter Venice is taking a boat right into Via San Marco. This is THE way everyone should be introduced to Venice. You can even get off of one of the "other" ship stops on the way. Murano-Burano is a nice island on the water-bus ride into Venice!

here are some pics...
And another informative post! We took a water taxi via the Grand Hotel and had to walk the plank to enter our hotel - Palazzo Pisani. That first breathtaking experience of Venice set the stage for the rest of our stay. Not related to where you stayed, Hotel Lido was the name of the hotel we stayed at at Alba Adriatica. It had reserved chairs at the beach, and as an added bonus, breakfast, lunch and dinner was included in our rate (about $200 per night).

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I created an account but unfortunately they require a license plate number which I don't think is possible to retrieve at this point in time. Well, it was worth a try.

My M3 has these options:

- Alpine white on full black leather.
- Sunroof.
- Black 19s
- Executive package.
- HK audio.
- Rear sunshade.

Question, anyone here who has experience of using an American ( no chip ) credit card in the toll booths?

Crap, bad luck with getting the wheels stolen! So no wheel adapter needed on the F8X 19s as was the case with the optional 19s on the E9X?
Damn. Can you check with BMW if they know your plates? I've noticed that they are working on a series M 2*** Z from the photos and the plates have expiry dates to cover your car until it is expected to leave the country. I say this because perhaps they are assigned early in the process.

The toll booths swallow your card completely and then spit it out. The chip is for your PIN. The machine would be using your strip. I am sure your card will work fine - imagine how many Americans would be calling for service at the toll booths otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Great write MT - how long do you have to wait from hand back until you see it again over the pond?
Depending on your distance from a port, 6-8 excruciatingly long weeks.
      07-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #63
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Awesome write up and congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #64
Danyutz
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

As a BMW Sales Representative, I must say, we need more customers like you.

Great post.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #65
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Great write up! Thanks for sharing!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #66
K20A2_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Austin Yellow

I just got confirmed for September 22nd pickup date, booked my flight to land September 21st. I'm staying in Munich with a friend I've met at work here in Siemens (Houston)......September 22nd is the start of Oktoberfest. I was thinking of just staying in Germany for a lot of my trip. But after reading through this thread, I will most definitely be taking my M3 to italy now.

Thank you and everyone else for the great insightful and informative information of traveling to Italy. I can't wait to plan the rest of my trip now!!
Appreciate 0