European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #89
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Predictable response - as if the F8x is some sort of straight-line monster.

It's a matter of choice - but to not consider it is foolish.
Track, straight line, roll race, whatever metric you use the m3/4 is going to lose to a far cheaper zl1

The "prestige" comes from paying tens of thousands more for less performance (how much is a M4 CS cost, or even the base with the options boxes all ticked?)

The other dude talking about the "stigma" of driving a zl1 in Texas, I get nothing but positive feedback at gas stations, parking lots etc. Certainly far more than in my humble bmw.

Since I still own one other bmw I guess it's ok to post here about all options
Camaro is killing it right now.

I just replaced my M3 with the 2SS 1LE and it is better than the M3 in every performance category (except straight line, where they are pretty even).

I did not have the extended leather in my M3 and the 2SS interior matches that of my M3.
As someone who just got out of the exact same car and back to an F80, just wait. The novelty will wear off pretty quick. And do not agree with you at all re interior quality or even build quality. F80/2 is leaps and bounds better than the Chevy. That matters to me for a DD.

Was a great car but I just couldn't do it anymore. Not as a DD, as a track only weekend car maybe. The first time you have to justify how your SS is "just as fast or faster" than your M3/4, you'll have this sinking feeling in your stomach.

But hey, not everyone's experience is the same and at the end of the day as long as you love it and are happy with it, that's all that matters. Not some bitter forum posters opinion. So, that being said, Congrats!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #90
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Interior is so subjective.

I felt the 1SS interior wasn't too far off the cloth interior of my f80

I wish Bmw offered even more stripped down interiors. If the gutted down to the metal interior of the 235 factory racer was available in m2, I would be all over it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #91
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Interior is so subjective.

I felt the 1SS interior wasn't too far off the cloth interior of my f80

I wish Bmw offered even more stripped down interiors. If the gutted down to the metal interior of the 235 factory racer was available in m2, I would be all over it
I disagree with this strongly. The quality of the carbon cloth in my wife's F80 is demonstrably better than my neighbor's 1SS' cloth interior. BMW knows how to do cloth right. The one in the Chevy feels like cheap ugly vinyl. His already has tears from getting in and out that he has had to replace under warranty and shows when it's dirty a lot more than my wife's.

This is just my experience.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #92
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I disagree with this strongly. The quality of the carbon cloth in my wife's F80 is demonstrably better than my neighbor's 1SS' cloth interior. BMW knows how to do cloth right. The one in the Chevy feels like cheap ugly vinyl. His already has tears from getting in and out that he has had to replace under warranty and shows when it's dirty a lot more than my wife's.

Yup, like I said, subjective

We also may not be comparing apples to apples in terms of generations.

As an aside, during a recent shopping trip, my wife panned the interiors of grand Cherokee overland, x5 50, gla45 with performance seats, Range Rover and many other interiors I thought were fine. Her pick for best interior....i3 Giga with cloth/leather. I guess Bmw does know how to do cloth interior right!
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #93
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

Yup, like I said, subjective

We also may not be comparing apples to apples in terms of generations.

As an aside, during a recent shopping trip, my wife panned the interiors of grand Cherokee overland, x5 50, gla45 with performance seats, Range Rover and many other interiors I thought were fine. Her pick for best interior....i3 Giga with cloth/leather. I guess Bmw does know how to do cloth interior right!
Yeah they do, BMW does cloth really well.

What do you mean by generations? My former 2SS was a 6th Gen and my neighbor has the 1SS with cloth 6th Gen as well.

You and my wife both have F80s. Am I missing something?

Agreed on subjectiveness.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #94
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Track, straight line, roll race, whatever metric you use the m3/4 is going to lose to a far cheaper zl1

The "prestige" comes from paying tens of thousands more for less performance (how much is a M4 CS cost, or even the base with the options boxes all ticked?)

The other dude talking about the "stigma" of driving a zl1 in Texas, I get nothing but positive feedback at gas stations, parking lots etc. Certainly far more than in my humble bmw.

I just replaced my M3 with the 2SS 1LE and it is better than the M3 in every performance category (except straight line, where they are pretty even).

I did not have the extended leather in my M3 and the 2SS interior matches that of my M3.
As someone who just got out of the exact same car and back to an F80, just wait. The novelty will wear off pretty quick. And do not agree with you at all re interior quality or even build quality. F80/2 is leaps and bounds better than the Chevy. That matters to me for a DD.

Was a great car but I just couldn't do it anymore. Not as a DD, as a track only weekend car maybe. The first time you have to justify how your SS is "just as fast or faster" than your M3/4, you'll have this sinking feeling in your stomach.

But hey, not everyone's experience is the same and at the end of the day as long as you love it and are happy with it, that's all that matters. Not some bitter forum posters opinion. So, that being said, Congrats!
I won't have a sinking feeling at all.

I was disappointed in the M3 on my 300 mile drive home from the dealership.

The damping was horrible, the rebound stroke was very uncontrolled , the rear-end would get unsettled with heavy braking or upset mid corner.

The stability/traction control even in MDM is a joke and waaaay over jealous.

The power out classes the chassis by a good margin when you get to 8/10ths and above. The only thing the chassis did great in stock form was understeer/oversteer balance. Everything else was very unconfident inspiring.

You should not have to move to a coilover suspension on a M car to get good chassis and damping control.

I also had constant issues with the brakes getting a vibration in them when used hard. Had them replace 3 times under warranty.

Don't get me started on the creaking from all 4 door seals that took BMW applying 3M tape all around to alleviate.

The 2SS 1LE gets it all right. 1.10 G's stock, excellent damping from the Magnaride dampers , it puts the power down and sticks. It have 5 performance traction management programs that help you and not fight against you. Brakes that are there and there right now with no vibrations. I have no creaks or rattles at all.

I felt unhappy and like I over paid for the M3 within 300 miles. I feel I underpaid and am very happy after 1500 miles with the 1LE. It's track times are right up there with the M4 GTS and GT350R.

The M3 feels great if you drive it like a normal car, but if you push it as it is meant to be driven and it falls all over itself.

The motor, DCT, and drivetrain are the only great things about the M3 from a performance standpoint , everything else BMW dropped the ball on.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #95
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

M2 Competition review by long time auto journalist Paul Harroll.

Drives M4 CS and M2 Comp back to back.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tition-review/

Quote:
All the while the M2 Competition is telling you what it’s up to, and reacting to your inputs ultra-faithfully. It’s an utter gem. For comparison, within a couple of hours of driving the M2 Competition on the road I took an M4 CS, a stripped out but still roadgoing M4, down the same route. The more expensive car felt unpredictable at the back end and short of feel at the front, so I drove it more slowly. And it had ridiculous tyre noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #96
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The damping was horrible, the rebound stroke was very uncontrolled , the rear-end would get unsettled with heavy braking or upset mid corner.

The power out classes the chassis by a good margin when you get to 8/10ths and above. The only thing the chassis did great in stock form was understeer/oversteer balance. Everything else was very unconfident inspiring.

You should not have to move to a coilover suspension on a M car to get good chassis and damping control.

I also had constant issues with the brakes getting a vibration in them when used hard. Had them replace 3 times under warranty.

Don't get me started on the creaking from all 4 door seals that took BMW applying 3M tape all around to alleviate.

The 2SS 1LE gets it all right. 1.10 G's stock, excellent damping from the Magnaride dampers , it puts the power down and sticks. It have 5 performance traction management programs that help you and not fight against you. Brakes that are there and there right now with no vibrations. I have no creaks or rattles at all.

I felt unhappy and like I over paid for the M3 within 300 miles. I feel I underpaid and am very happy after 1500 miles with the 1LE. It's track times are right up there with the M4 GTS and GT350R.

The M3 feels great if you drive it like a normal car, but if you push it as it is meant to be driven and it falls all over itself.

The motor, DCT, and drivetrain are the only great things about the M3 from a performance standpoint , everything else BMW dropped the ball on.
I love my car and am not a fan of the camaro but I respect what it is. I agree for the money it's great value.

We have 3 F80s in the household and I had an F82 before. None of the cars have had the issues you described (except for the creaking) even when driven hard.

I can understand you being turned off by the F80 though by your experience and it sucks that you had to go through that experience. The F80 isn't perfect and is definitely flawed, it finding the perfect car is like finding the perfect woman, it's subjective.

I hope you give the next gen a try at least and have a much better experience.
      08-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #97
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love my car and am not a fan of the camaro but I respect what it is. I agree for the money it's great value.

We have 3 F80s in the household and I had an F82 before. None of the cars have had the issues you described (except for the creaking) even when driven hard.

I can understand you being turned off by the F80 though by your experience and it sucks that you had to go through that experience. The F80 isn't perfect and is definitely flawed, it finding the perfect car is like finding the perfect woman, it's subjective.

I hope you give the next gen a try at least and have a much better experience.
This is a balanced response. One thing I didn't mention earlier is that I was absolutely in love with my 6th Gen Camaro when I was shopping for it and when I bought. However, a year later when I picked up my wife's F80 in Munich and drove it in Europe and the states, I couldn't believe how blind I was. I was floored by how much better the build quality was, the feeling, the road presence, the practicality, and the performance. To me it was worth all the money we paid for it while my Camaro was not. Ever since then I was looking for a way out of my Camaro, and finally got my own F80 about a month back. There isn't a day that goes by that I miss my Camaro. I am beyond elated that I got rid of that money pit (depreciation) with terrible paint and sub par interior quality. However, if that car was not my DD I would likely have kept it for the exhaust and as fun driving car. It's a great bang for your buck. But as a DD, F80 all the way.

You are absolutely right, it's subjective.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      08-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #98
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Went from an F82 to an E93, and now waiting for the G Series. Don't want the M2 Competition, but glad they produced it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #99
dangyi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
M2 Competition review by long time auto journalist Paul Harroll.

Drives M4 CS and M2 Comp back to back.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tition-review/
Interesting. This article says M2 has less tyre noice than M4 CS. However, according to this post at 12:25, M4 has a much quieter ride. I'm wondering whether the difference comes from M2C vs M2 or M4CS vs M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #100
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

Its a very subjective decision. I say drive one and see how it feels...
Appreciate 0