EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #23
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 View Post
Welcome you to PM me. In a previous life I was a partner in a Porsche exclusive race shop so know these cars inside out.

The earlier guidance is spot on spend the dollars to have an air cooled Indy expert do a proper PPI including leak down the health of the motor is everything. Unfortunately the factory valve guides suck and much like the rod bearing concerns about the S65 motor the need for a top end from car to car year to year including at what mileage varies wildly. Oil consumption of 1 quart every 600 miles miles is a good indicator you need it. Mine needed it at 94,000 miles but we had customers that needed it at 30k.

As for best bang for the buck upgrades...

Exhaust (Fister Stage 3 by FD Motorsports)
Lightweight wheels 18" (do not go bigger) Fikse BBS etc
Suspension (Bilstein PSS10 coilovers or go balls out to Ohlins R&T and upgraded bushings from ERP which I run best ever mod)
993 RS uprights (you will have bump steer if you lower it it's a nice to have not required)
993 RS single mass flywheel and clutch (transforms the car)
If you have access to 93 or higher octane Rennsport ECU (also transformational)
FD Motorsports short shift kit with golden rod
Rothsport billet shifter
Wevo engine mounts
Rothsport pulley/hub

Just this short list figure $10k plus labor assuming PSS10's and no new uprights or bushings will wake the car up in an astonishing way.

Don't upgrade the brakes they are plenty enough instead take weight out starting with the porker factory seats ending with a ghastly expensive sunroof delete which removes 53lbs from the top of the car the worst possible place for it.

If anyone tells you a top end done right will cost less than $10-$12k minimum then it won't be done right. A properly rebuilt 993 motor from a reputable shop (the key is to understand the while you are in there stuff) is $15-$25k. Big variance because like always there are upgrade opportunities even if staying mostly stock.

Having said all that some would argue keep it bone stock and enjoy it sparingly to hold its value. Not my use case but nothing wrong with that either put a sport muffler on and call it a day they are wonderful machines out of the box for sure.

Hope this helps.
Would like to talk. I'm heading out to dinner now with the family. Will PM you my phone number later on this evening. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 04:57 AM   #24
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

For a street driven vehicle, a 993 c4s on RoW suspension is just about the most sublime thing I've ever driven.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50