GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

01-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #45
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbski
Went with Perillo, should be taking delivery in March. Do you guys let the dealer wash the car when prepping it for you, been reading mixed reviews?
I let them prep it and detail it. I looked it over pretty well and didn't see any swirls / funny business. I thought they did a good job. You are paying for it anyways (appearance package for ~$190).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #46
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Robby
Thinking about doing Road America HPD in June. Anyone done one? Worth it?
I would love to do something like that. I was looking at MVP Track Time and they have 2 weekends at Autobahn and 2 weekends at RA this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #47
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any recommendations for a solid hand car wash place in the city?
I've been using Fast Eddies in Chicago and although you'd think they would be fast, they actually take their time and do a decent wash. I think a wash s about $18, but I always buy 10 at a time and my washes come in at around $7-$10 per wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #48
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

Quote:
I don't live in the city anymore but when I did I went to River West car wash. Great guys, take their time to do it right, and help with the things that aren't serious enough for a professional detailer. I also bought 10 washes at a time for $150 and they always threw a free wash or two in for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #49
M3Robby
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM/SS F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbski View Post
Perillo is great (I got my M3 from them in September) but don't let them wash your car. I used to go to Fast Eddies on Webster (near Elston) when I lived in the city. Always did a really nice job.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #50
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

The best in the city is Simons shine shop.. I only take my car there or sudsational in downers grove
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #51
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Anyone know a good place to buy winter tires in Chicago? Anyone have any winter tire setups they like?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #52
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Anyone know a good place to buy winter tires in Chicago? Anyone have any winter tire setups they like?
I always order from Tirerack. Sometimes I'll take a drive over to their warehouse and pick up the tires myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #53
C-M2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 SG M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbski View Post
Simons

Current: 2009 Space Gray e92 M3 - Mod list too long to list
Gone: 2004 Jet Black/Black SMG M3
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #54
M3Robby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
I always order from Tirerack. Sometimes I'll take a drive over to their warehouse and pick up the tires myself.
Tirerack is easiest. Just ordered Perilli sottozeros and Advanti wheels. Just wanted something that was semi-reasonable. I don't typically drive in the snow but will have the car out generally.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #55
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Road America might be a bit of a fast and crazy track for first timers. Lots of kitty litter to be scared of. I'd say you guys should try Autobahn since its local and a really fun track.

MVP, Trackdaze, NASA, BMWCCA Events are all top notch and a lot of fun. I'll do my best to be at a lot of them this year, so will be happy to help anybody making it out with the how to's

Btw, whose SO/SO Euro Delivery Plate car is this? Was parked on Milwaukee Ave.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #56
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Driving in Chicago's Winter

I'm looking to buy BMW's winter wheel and tire setup which uses the 18'' 640M wheel and Continental Winter Contact tire (255/40/18) for ~$3,000 after tax with labor and storage included. However, I do not drive my M4 daily and I can actually take the CTA whenever I really need to get around (or cab). I would probably only drive my M4 when it is dry outside and not crazy cold (< 5F). Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anyone else is in my position and what they are doing. Are you just keeping the summer tires on and using your car sparingly (not using at all) or did you also buy a winter setup?

At the end on the day the winter wheels can probably be resold at a decent price and the setup will actually extend the life of my summer tires but spending $3,000 of a new set is steep when I don't need my car in the winter.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #57
M3Robby
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking to buy BMW's winter wheel and tire setup which uses the 18'' 640M wheel and Continental Winter Contact tire (255/40/18) for ~$3,000 after tax with labor and storage included. However, I do not drive my M4 daily and I can actually take the CTA whenever I really need to get around (or cab). I would probably only drive my M4 when it is dry outside and not crazy cold (< 5F). Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anyone else is in my position and what they are doing. Are you just keeping the summer tires on and using your car sparingly (not using at all) or did you also buy a winter setup?

At the end on the day the winter wheels can probably be resold at a decent price and the setup will actually extend the life of my summer tires but spending $3,000 of a new set is steep when I don't need my car in the winter.

I debated the same. Drove one day on a dry sunny day with temps in the low 20s and ordered the winter set-up the next day. Felt loose generally, and not a whole lot of fun to drive. Small price to pay to really enjoy the car thru the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #58
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Going to NAIAS next Saturday for the last weekend. Anyone else planning on making the journey from Chicago to Detroit?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #59
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

Used to go every year when my gf went to msu. But now I'm too lazy to make the drive, lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #60
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Did you pull the trigger on winters? If you absolutely don't have to drive and can get around in bad weather it may not be worth $3000, but you would have to drive slow and carefully because the summer rubber is gonna be like plastic on cold roads, even if it dry.

I drive a lot and have to drive every day, I went with a set of Blizzak LM32 and so far so good. I had the LM60 on my E90 and it was a beast in the snow. If you are going to do any kind of driving in snow I would absolutely get winters, all I takes is one instance where you understeer or can't brake in time and the damage is going to be a lot worse than the cost of winters.

There a couple sets of stock 18s on here, pick up a set of those and some winters and call it a day, it'll be cheaper than going through BMW. I go to discount tire and they store my other set and do the swap for a hundred bucks. The stock 18s are a real nice wheel and I am happy running those from November to March, I'm not a big fan of the other brands most places sell (i.e. Rial, TSW, etc). I figure we run them for half the year, might as well make them look good.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #61
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
Did you pull the trigger on winters? If you absolutely don't have to drive and can get around in bad weather it may not be worth $3000, but you would have to drive slow and carefully because the summer rubber is gonna be like plastic on cold roads, even if it dry.

I drive a lot and have to drive every day, I went with a set of Blizzak LM32 and so far so good. I had the LM60 on my E90 and it was a beast in the snow. If you are going to do any kind of driving in snow I would absolutely get winters, all I takes is one instance where you understeer or can't brake in time and the damage is going to be a lot worse than the cost of winters.

There a couple sets of stock 18s on here, pick up a set of those and some winters and call it a day, it'll be cheaper than going through BMW. I go to discount tire and they store my other set and do the swap for a hundred bucks. The stock 18s are a real nice wheel and I am happy running those from November to March, I'm not a big fan of the other brands most places sell (i.e. Rial, TSW, etc). I figure we run them for half the year, might as well make them look good.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input.

As a matter of fact I did get the OEM set installed a week ago and I am very happy with the purchase. The Connti TS830Ps are great tires for Chicago and my driving style. I didn't really need insanely great snow tires but winter performance tires since I will usually drive on dry or only slightly wet pavement. The OEM 640M wheels look fine to IMO.

I had to drive back from Detroit last weekend through about 2 hours of snow on I-94 and the tires held up great (no slipping / very confident). I also had to break quickly a few times in the city due to some asshat cabs / texters stopping abruptly. So, already I feel the tires are worth the investment.

At the end of the day, too, the winters extend my summer tires for me anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #62
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Came to Simon's to get a quick wash. Whose MG M3 is getting a ceramic treatment coat to the paint? Looks really sweet and you have a few layers to go. So glossy and glassy!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #63
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell
Came to Simon's to get a quick wash. Whose MG M3 is getting a ceramic treatment coat to the paint? Looks really sweet and you have a few layers to go. So glossy and glassy!
Man I'm considering getting that done
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #64
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

When ever I go to Simons its like a freaking autoshow in there
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #65
Boola96
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
That would be me! I picked up MG M3 at Elmhurst BMW (Eugene Royfe was great to work with) two Saturdays ago:

2015 BMW M3
Mineral grey metallic
Black Extended Merino leather
Driver assistance plus package
Executive package
Lighting package
19" black wheels
Double Clutch transmission
Moonroof
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
Harman Kardon surround system
Adaptive M Suspension.

I have WeatherTech FloorLiner and Cargo Liner.

I had spent much time on this forum, great advice, tips and suggestions--including Simon's! Yes, got their Showroom Shine (Complete Exterior Detailing and Interior Detailing and Restoration) and their Advanced Hydrophobic Coating Service (I made their Facebook page via video!). My camera phone does not do it justice.Name:  IMAG1762.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  IMAG1763.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  57.1 KB

Next, I will be tinting the windows and considering Clearbra. Any recommendations in the city (my schedule just doesn't allow for getting out to the burbs)?

Great to be part of the group!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #66
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

my buddy rob at design shielding does amazing work with clear bra. I suggest googling design shielding and giving him a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola96 View Post
That would be me! I picked up MG M3 at Elmhurst BMW (Eugene Royfe was great to work with) two Saturdays ago:

2015 BMW M3
Mineral grey metallic
Black Extended Merino leather
Driver assistance plus package
Executive package
Lighting package
19" black wheels
Double Clutch transmission
Moonroof
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
Harman Kardon surround system
Adaptive M Suspension.

I have WeatherTech FloorLiner and Cargo Liner.

I had spent much time on this forum, great advice, tips and suggestions--including Simon's! Yes, got their Showroom Shine (Complete Exterior Detailing and Interior Detailing and Restoration) and their Advanced Hydrophobic Coating Service (I made their Facebook page via video!). My camera phone does not do it justice.Attachment 1150331

Attachment 1150332

Next, I will be tinting the windows and considering Clearbra. Any recommendations in the city (my schedule just doesn't allow for getting out to the burbs)?

Great to be part of the group!
Appreciate 0